Rehab1´s accident(s)

Rehab1

@Unventor , yeah I think it's fully human and being or at least trying to be after wise later is just human behavior, trying to figure out how to fall, what to think about etc..?

Me I am also relatively new to EUC and have not fell enough times yet to say I know for sure, but I have fallen a couple times now and even manage to brake a wrist and I think we like to after construct and find solutions to our problems and how to save ourselves in the future, again it's human.  But I have been competing for some years on my dirt bikes earlier where I did fall a lot more in a more pro setting than just me on my EUC and I never figured out how to fall "correctly" under those years when falling unexpected and suddenly and falling form EUC often come even quicker and more unannounced imho giving us even less time to react about anything, but like I hinted at I think our brains are designed that way and we human like to try to make sense of things afterwards and whether true or not we make after constructions trying to puzzle the piece together.  But for so many hours in total gone down this path of thinking trying to solve the problem and still people keep falling and hurting just the same, just like we did yesterday despite all good ideas in between then and now so?

I am not saying it's not possible to react immediate at for ex a cut out and also be fast and cold enough in your fall to figure out a specific way to fall or trying to grab even from memory and apply, now the more I think about it as well as trying to remember back from my racing days I am getting only more and more convinced but hey just me trying to be brutally honest with myself maybe some figured that out and have got way faster reactions than me, when saying this of course I mean my theories applies to me first and foremost. I would never tell anyone else they are imagining things and flat out wrong, who am I to do that?

Hence protection just getting more important in my book, look who's talking I am wearing a light bicycle helmet (do not want to close in my ears) + some relatively small wrist protections (yet still effective have tested them out in a fall) hehe. But this is on the 67v ACM, soon as 84v MSX is here I understand I will have to be more careful especially until I have rebuilt my protection outfit, I know I have earlier said that I would never pack up this much protection on a EUC but knowing how bad a max 25km/h fall can be I must change my position, I was wrong earlier plain and simple but learn as a I go along.

Not sure how to solve a proper helmet just yet cause I want a free ear to to pick up an every little warning signal + in wind it can be hard enough to hear EUC warnings as is, but one of those jackets should in theory hold upper body protections in place a bit better than loose protections strapped onto the lim/joint sections, as for knees again I used to think of it as extreme but... I am going back to the world of motocross/enduro, Pod K8 MX very lightweight, carbon fiber frame, a good knee support, do not build to much size yet tough.

https://www.24mx.se/knaskydd-pod-k8-mx-carbon-bla?nosto=productpage-personal-category-1#?p

Ohh there are much cheaper options to be be had and the EVS Axis is still cheap compared to that, if one have a bad knee like me though and need a good support in the same package there is going to be some expenses but similar yet cheater can be found. Gonna be interesting to follow the path people choose in regards to protection now that wheels have become so fast and looks like they keep pushing the envelope, I want it simple and as little to put on as possible, light and require as little storage space as possible at for work, Not going to be entirely cheap, will take a while butt sooner or later. Then of course not to forget, especially for us not sub 20 anymore, our physical shape play a role in itself and being lighter, more agile and in much better shape..  That's good now I have a reason to take of those extra kilos/pounds of weight. ?

• Upvote 2

1 hour ago, Hunka Hunka Burning Love said:

I wear a pair of these protection shorts (ya ya no laughing :rolleyes:) under my pants for added protection.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Snowboard-Skiing-Men-Women-Motorcycle-Racing-Protection-Hip-Gear-Shorts-Pants/323256883877

s-l1600.jpg

I have something similar for motorcycling without the thigh protection.  Bought it for impact plus more cushion for my A$$.  Never used it yet, better safe than sorry lol.  I may have to try it once the temperature drops down from 100F.  Good idea for group rides I would think.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, The Wizard said:

While waiting and laying there, I remembered the smack the back of my head had. I was glad I had a helmet on. I've had many falls. A few serious.

In none of these had my head ever contacted Concrete.

I now can see a small Dent in my helmet. If that Dent was in my skull, I may not be boring you with this text.

The point? Even an experienced rider can have odd, unexpected falls. Regardless of speed.

I still don't have the foggyest idea how I ended up on my back.

Always wear ur wrist, elbow, knee guards and helmet.

PLEASE.

Can I add back/spine guard too? 

I do hope you are ok taken the situation into account.

While I were waiting at the A&E I were listning to many talking people in room around me. May not be statistical correct data but I got a sense of 85% of patients have had some type if fall....none of the staff had ever seen an EUC. So point is accidents happen all the time, but it is a balance between risk taken, being aware if that risk and understanding the impact it might have on you...I am getting better protection but I am not stopping riding EUCs.

• Like 1

Today's fall was particularly interesting for me, At This Time.

I had gotten to the point of either I Stop Riding or Suit Up RoboCop style.

Been shopping for highly armoured chest, side, shoulder protector suits.

Determined that a Fall could be reasonably dealt with. Wanted something cheap but cool to wear in summer. Able to put on and off in under 2 or 3 hours :) and wearable in winter. 

Today I fell flat azz on my back. No nothing to spot it coming, predict it, prepare for it, face forward, get my arms out... Nothing! Something grabbed a hold of me and threw me into the air Flat on my Back. No cushioning, breaking of the fall or even a hand on the ground. Just... WHAM.

So, now what am I to do? Add chest protection to my arsonal of riding preparations? Why? I landed on my back.

Ok ok. Add back protection.

Jesus. I look like RoboCop now. I wonder if i scare kids with all the crap im wearing. It's a pain in the azz with all the on and off already.

After I buy and train myself to wear the added chest and back protection sytems... am I gonna break a shin bone? Gouge a 3" deep cut in an ankle?

I'm gonna need a tank AND a trailer full of lawyers to follow myself around.

Just gripping and bitching outloud.

I love my euc!

Anyone know where I can get a good deal on a little used tank???

• Like 2

13 hours ago, Hunka Hunka Burning Love said:

I wear a pair of these protection shorts (ya ya no laughing :rolleyes:) under my pants for added protection.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Snowboard-Skiing-Men-Women-Motorcycle-Racing-Protection-Hip-Gear-Shorts-Pants/323256883877

s-l1600.jpg

Great idea Hunka, no laughing I promise. ?

I kind of look like the original Tove Jansson Moomins, ok not quite as bad but still enough different to make it hard to find clothes I cannot just order and fit like a glove + I feel like in a prison if my gear is not a perfect fit but will have a look in store here and see what I can come up with? Probably wear on outside though so the more discrete the better and like all black so.., fiftyeleven neon colors and 45 different colored led's bilking hysterically inside my outfit sure is not for me.

11 hours ago, The Wizard said:

I was riding to day and had just slowed to dismount.

I am not sure what happened but I hope it helps someone in regards to falling.

Was probably going less than 1mph when suddenly I found myself exiting the peddles in an odd way.

All I know is that I was suddenly airborne and almost amusingly landed extremely and evenly Flat on my back. No side or rolling motion. I distinctly remember the center back of my head/helmet smacking the concrete.

I laid there a moment realizing I had a minor Wind Knocked Out Of Me. When this happens you always lay there a few seconds hoping that you will start breathing again but not sure.

While waiting and laying there, I remembered the smack the back of my head had. I was glad I had a helmet on. I've had many falls. A few serious.

In none of these had my head ever contacted Concrete.

I now can see a small Dent in my helmet. If that Dent was in my skull, I may not be boring you with this text.

The point? Even an experienced rider can have odd, unexpected falls. Regardless of speed.

I still don't have the foggyest idea how I ended up on my back.

Always wear ur wrist, elbow, knee guards and helmet.

PLEASE.

I am probably misunderstanding,  but if not..

Accident, dent in helmet and memory loss? Please go check up!

Also if denting the helmet in a fall it is to be considered used, I know many don't follow that as well as that some do not even know about it but if crashing your helmet it should be swapped out for a new one where you know full structural integrity is intact.

Edited by Electroman
  • Like 2

40 minutes ago, The Wizard said:

I take your helpful comment very seriously.

Often in these posts things get abrivated.

I suffered no memory loss. I stayed completely alert, never got dizzy or a headache. Today I do not even have a bruise or a joint eche. I have had many before.

It happened very quickly. Not that i cant remember. I do remember flying threw the air, back impact and helmet impact and laying there waiting to see if I might happen to start breathing again. No pain what so ever. (Well, a hell of a smack). The even flatness of the fall on my back is what saved me. A little left or right, bent forward or twisted and I shudder to think of the ribs or bones that would have caved in. The fat and muscles of my back absorbed the impact. I don't know how.

The helmet clearly saved my skull. If I had not had it on... there is a very very good chance I might not be typing this. I distinctly remember hearing the Crack of the plastic shell hittting the concrete.

Yes, I have reviewed the fall, my physical condition and inspected the helmet. 

I agree with everything you say.

I hope this helps someone.

No matter how good you are, no matter how confident you are, You just never know where, when or how you are gonna take a fall.

WEAR PROTECTION and WEAR A HELMET !!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I very humbly and with all the honesty I can muster, feel like it may have saved me from a very serious injury.

Ohh I see, thanks for clarification now I understand and glad to hear, very good that you did not loose memory, head aches, nausea etc.

Yes indeed and agree, it is a must and protection did save you by the sound of it, the price of a helmet (even an expensive ones) is very cheap in comparison. Yeah always helpful to hear about others mishaps and what saved them form injuries , reinforce the idea of wearing protection. I must admit I have taken a few rides without helmet in the beginning but now I always ride with it and always with wrist protection, not gonna push my MSX once it arrive, not until I get more protection cause you are correct and if a cut out is a fact imho you just cannot save it you will fall, period!

There's ideas about how to fall as well a how to save yourself from a fall after cut out, I will believe that when I see it, a real genuine safe from a unexpected cut out that is and even if someone manage it will hardy become the standard right?

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

8 minutes ago, Scatcat said:

Pro tip: If you hit something hard enough to feel your wheel moving sideways an inch just before turning into a road crossing – stop! 

I didn't and discovered halfway into the turn that I had a flat tyre, which quite unceremoniously dumped me in the middle of the road after a severe pedal scraping. Luckily the speed was no more than maybe 7-8 mph, and I was fully kitted, so the full extent of pain and injuries were more or less none. I was very thankful for my shoulder paddings, as I landed on elbow and shoulder - none are the worse for wear, not even the protection.

But since I took the GT16 apart just the other day to fix a loose pedal arm, taking it apart again to change the tube (slime was not enough this time) was about as entertaining as watching grass grow in real time... :facepalm:

Luckily I had a tube of puncture foam in my backpack, which saved me from the "walk of shame"... :roflmao:

Good to hear you are ok, and learned not to go down like me. ?

I can tell you (no pictures) that my left side that is flat when you sit, looks like it is transplanted from someone from Mozambique. Which is not an easy thing to mask being native Scandinavian.?

And thanks for reminding me again of my walk of shame with a total flat and half extender damaged locked trolley, bleeding like a wounded deer. ?

As I have been  researching a little I am now considering a POC downhill protection jacket. It is just expensive. But I consider my fall a lucky outcome. Next fall might not be, so better be prepared and suit up and brace for impact.

• Like 2

I’ve been away from my topic for awhile but I’m pleased to see so many members shifting their thought process from the attitude “this will never happen to me” and are beginning to wear safety gear.

It does worry me when I hear about @The Wizard‘s slow speed fall. Glad your semi ok buddy! When I’m practicing slow speed tricks on my Mten3 I rarely wear a helmet or any other protective gear. I’m aware that I should wear gear during my sessions but I simply can’t function while practicing certain routines. Suppose I should quite riding in that fashion as all it would take is one mishap. 

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Unventor said:

Good to hear you are ok, and learned not to go down like me. ?

I can tell you (no pictures) that my left side that is flat when you sit, looks like it is transplanted from someone from Mozambique. Which is not an easy thing to mask being native Scandinavian.?

And thanks for reminding me again of my walk of shame with a total flat and half extender damaged locked trolley, bleeding like a wounded deer. ?

As I have been  researching a little I am now considering a POC downhill protection jacket. It is just expensive. But I consider my fall a lucky outcome. Next fall might not be, so better be prepared and suit up and brace for impact.

I tried the POC VPD DH2 and I didn't like it. To hot, clunky and stiff. It probably gives great protection, but side by side with the "bear suit" it came in second for comfort and the CE level were comparable.

1 hour ago, Scatcat said:

Like fix-a-flat kinda. A can of slime-like foam that both plugs the hole and puts enough pressure in to continue riding.

Is there a brand name you can disclose so I can google it?

8 hours ago, Scatcat said:

I tried the POC VPD DH2 and I didn't like it. To hot, clunky and stiff. It probably gives great protection, but side by side with the "bear suit" it came in second for comfort and the CE level were comparable.

Well I am going to check it out today at mtbstore.se in Gothenburg after work. Oh btw just found out I got my vacation weeks mixed up. So it means my KS18L should arrive hopefully to my 3 week vacation in week 31-33. 

Edited by Unventor

• 1 month later...
14 hours ago, Rehab1 said:

Well I hit a home run according to my orthopedist. 6 month check up this morning and everything is well healed.

Awesome news... So you're back to being the old you, but also now receiving satellite radio.

Almost like an upgrade! Perhaps you should change your name to Rahab2.0 ?

• Like 3

On 8/18/2018 at 1:30 AM, The Fat Unicyclist said:

Awesome news... So you're back to being the old you, but also now receiving satellite radio.

Almost like an upgrade! Perhaps you should change your name to Rahab2.0 ?

Thanks! I'm not sure about @Hunka Hunka Burning Love's long term emotions following his accident but going back to the old me will probably never happen. Like Hunka stated if it was his right arm that was involved he probably would have been out of commission at work. I was lucky that I own my business and was able to delegate work to my staff with the assistance of my functional right arm for 2 months.  Not everyone has that luxury. 

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

Those X-rays look familiar. :( In the early 90's I was in a motorcycle accident with many injuries, and a couple similar plates installed (one on my wrist and one in my jaw). Long story short, I stayed away from motorcycles for several years, but could not resist. I ended up spending a few years back on a couple bikes (no more accidents). Now, staying away from bikes for the EUC.

"That which does not kill you...".

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

On 8/17/2018 at 4:52 PM, Rehab1 said:

Well I hit a home run according to my orthopedist. 6 month check up this morning and everything is well healed. Shoulder range of motion is almost full. He told his assistant that this was not the amazing result he had expected.

So glad to hear that @Rehab1  ?

• Like 1

50 minutes ago, Circuitmage said:

“That which does not kill you...".

I’m not sure about that. If I had not donned a helmet that day the outcome could have been much worse. 

It is amazing on how one can brush off a bad experience and regain a sense of confidence to ride again. In my case a lingering doubt remains present before each ride. The same thing happened after my 2 helicopter crashes. That carefree exhilaration diminishes. 

I put my wife and staff through hell so I’m sure that contributes to my occasional apprehension.

Edited by Rehab1
  • Like 1