Jump to content
Rehab1

Rehab1´s accident(s)

Recommended Posts

Great follow up!! One can tell how agitated and frustrated you are by your "French" indeed! Such bad luck, a stupid pothole that you didn't see coming and just happen to hit instead of being a foot further left or right, with some destabilizing extra gravel for good measure, and then the unlucky bad fall itself. A combination of multiple unlikely dumb causes! If only you could go back 4 weeks with this information...

I wouldn't blame yourself too much, though. It's not "Don't be stupid", it's more "Look where you are going, and don't have bad luck as well". (Exactly what caused my crash - with luckily only mostly harmless injuries - fucking rock in the middle of the wide ass path I just happened to hit, and just right when I didn't look for 3 seconds or I would have seen it)

This is good news and bad news. Good news is, your crash wasn't rider error (if speed isn't seen as an error per se, but slower speed would probably still had you crash) or something wrong with our wheels that causes wobble. Bad news is, this is the classic "shit was in the way" that there really is no good recipe against, and once you lose your secure footing in a bump or slip or whatever, it's hard or impossible to recover. Wheels are just susceptible to that, and not much we can do:efeeab781c: Wear protection and pray:efef3d5527:

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Rehab1 said:

Lesson to self: Don't be Stupid!

yeah, don’t be too hard on urself. the world doesn’t care about road hazards for motorcycles, much less circus like electric unicycles. how many times i coulda gone down from a pvc pipe off a truck, a muffler tailpipe, landscaper trailer ramp board, etc etc etc. riding my motorcycles. course that woulda been better than the 19 year old girl with no insurance driving her 14 year old ford focus texting instead of stopping for a red light and almost killing me and two girls in my recently purchased zo6. any night riding around here definitely has it’s hazards no matter what ur driving. if u kept riding it would probably never happen again because i know at night u wouldn’t go faster than u could scan the roadway in front of u.

  • Like 1
  • Upvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

If you want to look at the "bright side": Better to have your bad luck while riding the EUC; if the bad luck had hit during your helicopter accident, you'd be dead already.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Maybe your (ex)V8 gets jealous and curses its rival wheels? :}  I bought that V8 for my brother and two evening ago he slipped and fell while riding his S1 (again not the V8) and suffered a left radial head fracture.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, Rehab1 said:

Today I went back to the scene of my Gotway ACM 1600 accident 3 weeks ago. The wheel went into a major wobble as I was traveling approximately 25 MPH. I needed to find out if it was rider error, if I hit something on the trail or the ACM just decided to start wobbling on it's own. Today I found my answer:

I ran over a wide gravel repair on the smooth asphalt trail followed by hitting a $30,000 pot hole (cost of my surgery). It was starting to get dark that evening and I should not have been traveling that fast. My Bad! Thank God I was wearing a helmet!

Lesson to self: Don't be Stupid!

 

 

Thanks for the post mortem,  so to speak.  It really helps wrap up the whole story and explain the incident quite well.  Don't beat yourself up over this! 

  • Like 2
  • Upvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, Rehab1 said:

Today I went back to the scene of my Gotway ACM 1600 accident 3 weeks ago. The wheel went into a major wobble as I was traveling approximately 25 MPH. I needed to find out if it was rider error, if I hit something on the trail or the ACM just decided to start wobbling on it's own. Today I found my answer:

I ran over a wide gravel repair on the smooth asphalt trail followed by hitting a $30,000 pot hole (cost of my surgery). It was starting to get dark that evening and I should not have been traveling that fast. My Bad! Thank God I was wearing a helmet!

Lesson to self: Don't be Stupid!

So does this possibly mean that, with the required behavioural modification (and possibly a speed governer), the powers that be might allow you to one day ride again?

Edited by The Fat Unicyclist
  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, dbfrese said:

That reminds me of my cast that I had to wear for three months for my scaphoid fracture (actually 3 separate casts) - on the first one, my daughter used her artistic talents to draw a pictogram of the incident. I saved that particular cast. It did come in handy explaining the inevitable questions, which for some reason always implied spousal abuse. 

20180217_18144_180.jpg

You need to make this into a tee-shirt!

Actually two tee-shirst -  one just like this and a second one the same that says "actually my wife beats me!" on the back...

  • Like 2
  • Upvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 minutes ago, The Fat Unicyclist said:

"actually my wife beats me!"

Great idea -- but the strange thing is, they were implying that I hurt myself by being the abusive one. People are weird sometimes.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 hours ago, Rehab1 said:

$30,000 pot hole (cost of my surgery).

Yikes...I should consider giving up EUC riding for something less risky.....but I find myself semi securely using the same routes to entertain myself with the Monster.

Dropping by a McD's to eat after yesterday's ride a college age female (SSU across the street) said ....'I like your thing!'...meaning the Monster leaning against the wall.

  • Like 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Rehab I don't know if anybody else has said this, but ever since you first reported this accident on the other (video?) thread, I had the distinct impression that your accident was ultimately caused by what you were doing a couple hours earlier, painting the Olympics logo on your driveway.

You had Olympics on your mind, and set out to accomplish your own little Olympian feat, as the sun was setting.

Found it:

 

But every athlete with the Olympic spirit goes through injuries and hard times, often followed by redemption.

 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, The Fat Unicyclist said:

So does this possibly mean that, with the required behavioural modification (and possibly a speed governer), the powers that be might allow you to one day ride again?

Even my wife was amazed at what she saw. Baby steps.

  • Like 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Exactly like promised, all banged up and everything still you investigated and even got the footage Rehab1, good stuff thanks a lot.

Really appreciate cause not only is this helping you understand but others too, glad to know it was not the Gotway that just decided it will throw you off but other factors such as surface

Since you crated this thread I have changed so many views I held about EUC riding and safety around it, I have most def come to realize it's not enough to strap on wrist guards (that I did not use before), a light helmet and call it a day hoping for the best.  Sad that you hurt yourself and wish you a very speedy recovery, but at leats I'll learn from this and if others can avoid it at least that would be a good thing coming out of all this.

 

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 hours ago, exoplanet said:

What kind of things could have remedied this? Also to the guy falling from a rock in the middle of a wide road, what could have remedied his fall?

  1. Look where you are going, see everything ahead, always, every single second.
  2. Have some luck, because you can't look where you're going, see everything ahead, always, every single second:furious:
  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Electroman said:

Since you crated this thread I have changed so many views I held about EUC riding and safety around it, I have most def come to realize it's not enough to strap on wrist guards (that I did not use before), a light helmet and call it a day hoping for the best.  Sad that you hurt yourself and wish you a very speedy recovery, but at leats I'll learn from this and if others can avoid it at least that would be a good thing coming out of all this.

Thanks. If one person can benefit from my accident then the thread is worth it. No proselytizing just facts. Everyone has to determine what riding techniques and protection is best for them. 

47 minutes ago, meepmeepmayer said:
  1. Look where you are going, see everything ahead, always, every single second.
  2. Have some luck, because you can't look where you're going, see everything ahead, always, every single second:furious:

Yes there will always distractions but I can’t recall  if my concentration was diverted at any moment leading up to the accident. Come to think of it there was this hot blonde waving at the time. ;)

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

The point is, it was baaaaad luck, something that wheels are just susceptible to, and that's pretty much it. Life is random. Not much to be done besides wear a helmet and other protection.

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
17 hours ago, Rehab1 said:

Today I went back to the scene of my Gotway ACM 1600 accident 3 weeks ago. The wheel went into a major wobble as I was traveling approximately 25 MPH. I needed to find out if it was rider error, if I hit something on the trail or the ACM just decided to start wobbling on it's own. Today I found my answer:

I ran over a wide gravel repair on the smooth asphalt trail followed by hitting a $30,000 pot hole (cost of my surgery). It was starting to get dark that evening and I should not have been traveling that fast. My Bad! Thank God I was wearing a helmet!

Lesson to self: Don't be Stupid!

Very interesting @Rehab1. Thanks for posting this. It must give you peace of mind to know that caused the crash. Very good advice to ride very fast unless you know the territory and/or have great visibility. Something I try and practice.

BTW, I'm curious as to what exactly caused the gash above your eye, since you were wearing a helmet. Do you think it was the helmet itself which abraded your skin? Are there indications that your chin guard hit the pavement?

Also, I love how you pronounce your Mten3 - mitten. I have to replay that a couple of times to figure out "what the hell is he saying?" :D

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

i guess it’s what ever ur use to. i see so many riding videos of people doing extremely dangerous things that no matter  how expert i became or how much armor i wore, i’d never do. motorcycles aren’t made for sightseeing, damn sure wheels aren’t. on a motorcycle u are always scanning the pavement in front of u for debris, u ride in a wheel rut hoping any cars that came before u pushed it away, but u have to scan left, right, left rear, right rear etc etc. riding was always an event for me, suit up physically and mentally, i knew i had to clear my mind to only think about the task at hand, getting me and the motorcycle from point “a” to point “b”. i had previous close calls where i was distracted or daydreaming or getting “fixated” on something i saw. i lived next to a nice jogging path around lake underhill in orlando and there were accidents on the parallel road all the time. i’ve traveled for work and play a bit, and it’s pretty obvious the roadways up north i guess because of the weather and age, are in bad shape for vehicular traffic, much less a wheel. by all means wear as much protective gear as u want but hitting a tree or somebody opening a car door when ur lanesplitting or falling down a cliff and then hitting a tree etc etc. we humans are pretty fragile compared to trees. if i ever left the ranch to ride, i’d know the hazards by doing a very cautious slow surveillance ride and when i rode it normally, i’d still be scanning in front of me. being a building contractor, i have a very negative view of shit, murphy’s law. not saying it is a great attitude, i’m just too old to change. i love Bob nothing else matters. i know @Rehab1 knows all this. hell he flew helis and all they do is hunt the ground to crash, that’s why he’s so mad at himself. we all have brain farts, how we survive afterwards is what counts.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, mezzanine said:

Yeah, I'm grateful Rehab started this thread and has continued to update it.  The forensics of the scene of the accident is valuable because it's much easier to visualize exactly what happened and that there wasn't any mechanical issue. 

I've spent time thinking more deliberately about safety as the weather starts to warm up more and my EUC use increases.  This thread has kept safety front and center in my mind.  

I value the use of EUCs so much as a practical form of transportation that I have to remind myself to be as conservative as possible because it's easy to let the enjoyment of riding tempt you into taking more risks.  

Yes absolutely, all valid points.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I'm thinking more about the POC Spine VPD jacket that was mentioned earlier.  Probably some form of cheaper protective jacket.  Maybe g-form shin/knee pads.  Full-faced helmet.  

I'm resisting on the basis of not wanting to have to gear up every time I go out, but I've been wearing ski pants and and a down jacket with goggles and gloves to go out anyway.  I don't find it an obnoxious time suck to have to throw on a couple things for the thirty seconds I'm actually doing it.  

My intention was to go with with the g-form elbow and knee pads, but I haven't bothered.  The idea of a more fully protective jacket appeals to me, though.  

I have a feeling that I'm going to start to quickly develop a collection of safety gear and it's stuff I can't easily get cheap in Canada because it's so specialized.  

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, novazeus said:

i guess it’s what ever ur use to. i see so many riding videos of people doing extremely dangerous things that no matter  how expert i became or how much armor i wore, i’d never do. motorcycles aren’t made for sightseeing, damn sure wheels aren’t. on a motorcycle u are always scanning the pavement in front of u for debris, u ride in a wheel rut hoping any cars that came before u pushed it away, but u have to scan left, right, left rear, right rear etc etc. riding was always an event for me, suit up physically and mentally, i knew i had to clear my mind to only think about the task at hand, getting me and the motorcycle from point “a” to point “b”. i had previous close calls where i was distracted or daydreaming or getting “fixated” on something i saw. i lived next to a nice jogging path around lake underhill in orlando and there were accidents on the parallel road all the time. i’ve traveled for work and play a bit, and it’s pretty obvious the roadways up north i guess because of the weather and age, are in bad shape for vehicular traffic, much less a wheel. by all means wear as much protective gear as u want but hitting a tree or somebody opening a car door when ur lanesplitting or falling down a cliff and then hitting a tree etc etc. we humans are pretty fragile compared to trees. if i ever left the ranch to ride, i’d know the hazards by doing a very cautious slow surveillance ride and when i rode it normally, i’d still be scanning in front of me. being a building contractor, i have a very negative view of shit, murphy’s law. not saying it is a great attitude, i’m just too old to change. i love Bob nothing else matters. i know @Rehab1 knows all this. hell he flew helis and all they do is hunt the ground to crash, that’s why he’s so mad at himself. we all have brain farts, how we survive afterwards is what counts.

I agree. I am always scanning the ground. If I'm ever sight seeing, I'm going very slow. Good advice @novazeus

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

×