Social Media

RyiSh

Hello all,

My name's Rian and I am the Social Media Manager at Uniwheel. We're uploading regularly to our social media platforms now so I thought it would be a good time to share a post of ours here, we will also be taking rider submissions to be featured across our platforms so if you have any cool shots then send them our way!

www.instagram.com/theuniwheel

www.twitter.com/theuniwheel

www.facebook.com/theuniwheel

wgAmiSqJ5kKn59v0PRX1XuxUav5AQ5rC2NskdmNX

Regards,

Rian Shafi.

I hope you will include a strong presence here as well. Manufacturer support is lacking in the EUC arena and I feel that Solowheel's recent engagement of the community on here has done a great deal of good in reestablishing their brand reputation.

I personally am not a fan of social media. 

I think the Uniwheel has good potential for what it is intended (last mile lightweight city wheel with extendable range and easily replaceable body parts) but so much about it remains mystery.

Welcome @RyiSh! We've got several members here in London who have reported that the police tell them they can't ride. Is Uniwheel considering how they might respond to that? In the USA they are generally allowed to be on sidewalks, bike lanes, and trails although every jurisdiction has the ability to further restrict things. Segway did a lot of work when they came out to get laws passed ensuring the product could be used. EUC users in England could use the same.

http://forum.electricunicycle.org/topic/9356-police-tighten-the-noose-in-london/

You need more interesting content, for chinese units there's always detailed teardowns, people testing them off road and on slopes and poeple testing them on dynos to see torque and power output almost as soon as they launch. At the moment for uniwheel there's just a few generic pictures and very basic riding videos.

1 hour ago, jbwheel said:

@RyiSh Hi, can you confirm that the Uniwheel can fly with 18 companies (United, Delta, British, Emirates ...) ?

I can guarantee you that the named companies will not take an EUC on board at all.

Emirates (and 80-90% of the other) have a strict  "No self balancing vehicles" Policy. Even an EUC without battery you are not allowed to take on board.

It happend to myself when i tried to bring my KS16 without batterys from asia to europe....

3 hours ago, jbwheel said:

@RyiSh Hi, can you confirm that the Uniwheel can fly with 18 companies (United, Delta, British, Emirates ...) ?

Hey Jbwheel, as far as I remember the list represents how many airlines have previously carried Uniwheel on board in alignment with the policies. The thing is, any battery-powered device above 100wh and below 160wh has to be registered every single time you fly. In this case, you'd have to obtain an approval to carry it per person, per airline and in some cases - per flight. So the logic behind the list is: as long as you follow the guidelines and report the carriage of the wheel accordingly, you'd get the approval without any extra effort. 

15 minutes ago, vladmarks said:

Hey Jbwheel, as far as I remember the list represents how many airlines have previously carried Uniwheel on board in alignment with the policies. The thing is, any battery-powered device above 100wh and below 160wh has to be registered every single time you fly. In this case, you'd have to obtain an approval to carry it per person, per airline and in some cases - per flight. So the logic behind the list is: as long as you follow the guidelines and report the carriage of the wheel accordingly, you'd get the approval without any extra effort. 

Sorry, that is nowadays just not true...Most of all international airplane companys have this "NO Pers.mobil Device/Vehicle" strict policy...no matter how big the battery is:

https://www.emirates.com/english/help/faq/239030/what-is-the-policy-for-transporting-dangerous-goods

Quote:

Personal motorised vehicles are not allowed on board

For safety reasons, we can’t accept personal motorised vehicles such as hoverboards, mini-Segways and smart or self-balancing wheels on our flights. Emirates prohibits the carriage of all such devices – with or without batteries - as checked–in or carry–on baggage. This regulation still applies even if you’re connecting to our flights from an airline that has accepted them.

1 hour ago, KingSong69 said:

Quote:

Personal motorised vehicles are not allowed on board

For safety reasons, we can’t accept personal motorised vehicles such as hoverboards, mini-Segways and smart or self-balancing wheels on our flights. Emirates prohibits the carriage of all such devices – with or without batteries - as checked–in or carry–on baggage. This regulation still applies even if you’re connecting to our flights from an airline that has accepted them.

Since Emirates flys to and from countries with less strict or secure screenings it may be an Emirates logistics tariff but not for all airlines.

I always check with the airports and the airlines since it is the TSA(US) and the Airline baggage protocols that regulate baggage. It is difficult enough when everyone speaks the same language to get true clarification. So far it has been without delay, but it could be a numbers game considering all the different protocols. ?

32 minutes ago, Stan Onymous said:

Since Emirates flys to and from countries with less strict or secure screenings it may be an Emirates logistics tariff but not for all airlines.

I always check with the airports and the airlines since it is the TSA(US) and the Airline baggage protocols that regulate baggage. It is difficult enough when everyone speaks the same language to get true clarification. So far it has been without delay, but it could be a numbers game considering all the different protocols. ?

I didnot say its for all, but nearly all(80-90%) of all international airlines that PMD are totally forbidden. thanks to hoverboard desaster.

But after that:

What still is worldwide consens protocoll and set by IATA is the 160wh battery limit......and that has its reasons.

29 minutes ago, KingSong69 said:

I didnot say its for all, but nearly all(80-90%) of all international airlines that PMD are totally forbidden. thanks to hoverboard desaster.

Fair enough, did not know about the particular update on Emirates. I will pass the mic to the Uniwheel people to go through this particular chapter.

1 minute ago, vladmarks said:

Fair enough, did not know about the particular update on Emirates. I will pass the mic to the Uniwheel people to go through this particular chapter.

i guess wouldnt the hoverboard desaster make that great attention to battery driven mobile devices, it would be no question to take them with you.

but now? I did make big eyes when they forced me to leave my (empty!-documented!) KS16 at the airport in BKK. Fortunatly some friends picked it up. After that i informed myself if other carriers could be the solution...but the big ones are all working together, not only on seat sharing :-)

1 minute ago, KingSong69 said:

I did make big eyes when they forced me to leave my (empty!-documented!) KS16 at the airport in BKK.

Yeah, certainly any type of thick battery above 160whs would be a complete taboo. Not agreeing to the hoverboard bit, though. E.g. British Airways were happy to carry Uniwheel on multiple occasions with multiple passengers, although their policy against lithium batteries is otherwise quite strict. It may come down to every individual occasion in some cases, as the cargo security officers don't get the requests too often. In other words, looking at a clean documentation that matches the requirements of IATA the provider can easily bypass the unforgiving blocks of rules just because of a singular precedent. The hopes are that by the time the requests bypass multiple devices on board the rules won't be so reliant on a general dogma. 

Without to have any specific information, I could imagine that Uniwheel stands out by having negotiated a special permission with a bunch of flight companies. In any case, their batteries are (allegedly) much safer than standard EUC batteries and each of them is far below the 100Wh mark.

Hi @vladmarks, have you seen the thread in general discussions regarding mobilising support for legalisation in the UK? Has project 42 ever been involved in anything of this nature? If so would you be willing to discuss  or get involved in taking the forward?

Same to @RyiSh & Uniwheel.... :)

Sorry for the hijack.

Archived