Another Example of Slime Saving the Day

Marty Backe

4 minutes ago, Geoffroy said:

Does someone have experience on the better one to buy ... balance between quality and price ?

You can get original Kenda inner tube for your KS-16S (with angled valve) for about 14 EUR from here - https://eunicycles.eu/en/accessories/11-detka-16-cali.html - but I don't know what shipping cost will be. It may be a good idea to check at your French dealer.

• Like 1

I've had problems with the slime getting between the valve tube and the valve core, and hence continuing to leak (and spewing slime).

I've changed out the valve core a few times now. When removed, the core is coated with slime, and interestingly is slightly to significantly rusty, presumably due to the water in the slime.

None of this is a big deal but you do have to change out cores occasionally as the slime attacks the core and causes your tire to leak.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Does anyone know if tubeless sealant could work like slime? I have a bottle of some “orange seal tubeless sealant”

it claims “to improve longevity on tubed tubulars and tubeless systems.

so the question is. Should i put it in my msuper x when it arrives? And does tubeless sealant work? The same way as slime? Any answers apreciated

• 3 months later...
  • 4 months later...
On 6/15/2018 at 7:30 AM, Marty Backe said:

Thanks Mark. @Geoffroy, here are two of my videos that discuss Slime:

hey Marty, today i just followed this video and fixed my v5f from a flat ! 

i didn't find the little puncture on the tire but somewhere somehow it was losing pressure ! so i bought the exact product you use here , applied ( just as much as you suggest) inflated th tire and everything good so far :-) it keeps the right pressure and i'm sure it'll be good !!!

thank you so much !!!!

Edited by Simone Malicius
  • Like 1

• 3 months later...

Ok, I'm convinced.

I used this on my 16S, and suspected it was causing my valve to leak after about 6 months. So on my 18L I decided not to use it. Bad choice. In about 2,000 miles I have had 2 leaks that I am convinced would have been averted with Slime. 1st leak was a snakebite from pinching tube on large drainage grate. 2nd leak is a pinhole from hitting something very similar to what you showed in your video.

Back to using slime after I put a new tube in.

• Like 1

8 hours ago, Circuitmage said:

Ok, I'm convinced.

I used this on my 16S, and suspected it was causing my valve to leak after about 6 months. So on my 18L I decided not to use it. Bad choice. In about 2,000 miles I have had 2 leaks that I am convinced would have been averted with Slime. 1st leak was a snakebite from pinching tube on large drainage grate. 2nd leak is a pinhole from hitting something very similar to what you showed in your video.

Back to using slime after I put a new tube in.

you can probably slime it now and see it come back to life, just like me didn't need to change/repair inner tube, just slime! 

• Like 2

6 hours ago, Simone Malicius said:

you can probably slime it now and see it come back to life, just like me didn't need to change/repair inner tube, just slime! 

no doubt.. it works the exact same whether you put it in before or after a problem lol.. the only reason it is said you should do it before is so you dont have to carry around a 40 lb dead weight all the way home lmao.. my ninebot one tube is the original i had it for over two years and who knows how many thousands of km.. it had been losing air rapidly for a long time but as i dont use it except to screw around in the garage or show somebody every once in a while i didnt care... but just recently i loaned it to someone and so i put slime in it and pumped it up to my usual 60 PSI, lifted the wheel while it was on a few times to give it a good coating inside then rode it and bounced around for a few mins outside... a month later and the tire is still hard as a rock

• Like 1

@Simone Malicius Actually, I thought of that AFTER I had the tube off. Probably a good idea to check the tube before doing that anyway, as the first flat was a snakebite due to too much pressure on the tube, and the 2 holes were about 1-2 cm apart and may have had additional stress. I already had about 1500 miles on it, so I threw it away.

I am KEEPING this tube though, as it is one very small pin hole, and I can even see the pin hole in the tire from a small nail or something pushing all the way through. 

On the first flat, it was on my way to work. :( so I had to walk it to work. On the 2nd flat, I could feel it going flat about 1/2 mile from my house and rode it in. Not easy! Very wobbly ride on a tire going flat. But, I got it home and took it off.

I have a new tube in now with ~3 oz of slime, and new back up tube, and will save that one for future sliming! :) 

• Like 2

26 minutes ago, Circuitmage said:

@Simone Malicius Actually, I thought of that AFTER I had the tube off. Probably a good idea to check the tube before doing that anyway, as the first flat was a snakebite due to too much pressure on the tube, and the 2 holes were about 1-2 cm apart and may have had additional stress. I already had about 1500 miles on it, so I threw it away.

I am KEEPING this tube though, as it is one very small pin hole, and I can even see the pin hole in the tire from a small nail or something pushing all the way through. 

On the first flat, it was on my way to work. :( so I had to walk it to work. On the 2nd flat, I could feel it going flat about 1/2 mile from my house and rode it in. Not easy! Very wobbly ride on a tire going flat. But, I got it home and took it off.

I have a new tube in now with ~3 oz of slime, and new back up tube, and will save that one for future sliming! :) 

I patch my tires. I have two patches on the KS18XL tube and three patches on an ACM2 tube.

Unless you have a valve stem break, the tubes should last just about forever.

• Like 2

9 minutes ago, Circuitmage said:

@Marty Backe Do you have a video on tube patching? :)
I received a small tube patch kit with my pump, looks like a set of small sticky patches. Is that what you use?

No. I figure there's a million "how to patch an inner tube" videos already out there.

This was the last Kit that I bought.

91ZngfhdlgL._SL1500_.jpg

• Like 1