New Inmotion V10 / V10F

Pingouin

36 minutes ago, soulson said:

This heatsink must have extraordinarily low heat capacity and very high flux, because I can make my V10F reliably "overload" in one burst of acceleration after it has been shut off for hours, and then simply press the handle button to reset it for less than one second to hop back on and continue riding like nothing happened.

you must be on the shipping firmware. v2.2.6 and 2.2.7 require you to cycle the power after an overload, but yes, that heat sink cools super quick (apparently) 

55 minutes ago, maltocs said:

The specs from the instruction manual is max slope 30 degrees, working temp 14-104F, and payload 120kg. I know, #3 says max slope was tested at 75kg, but we tested that at less than 30 degrees and it still overloaded. What it's designed for seems different than what they advertise it can do. 

Capture (1).JPG

#2 says everything. 

If you weigh more than 165 pounds or it is over 77 deg F or the ground is not flat or the battery is not fully charged you will have limited use.

• Like 1

36 minutes ago, RockyTop said:

#2 says everything. 

If you weigh more than 165 pounds or it is over 77 deg F or the ground is not flat or the battery is not fully charged you will have limited use.

damn lawyers. 

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, WARPed1701D said:

I think this is an assertion that goes too far right now given the fact that you rode the prototype up overheat hill and it performed admirably. Yes there will be differences between the prototype and the production unit but I struggle to believe heat production and dissipation could be this different between the two. Right now my money is on a firmware restriction that I suspect will be resolved in an upcoming release.

It did overheat on me near the top. And @maltocs has about 30-pounds on me.

My gut tells me that this is going to be unfixable for this version of the wheel. I'm totally open to being wrong. We'll see what happens.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 2

6 minutes ago, WARPed1701D said:

I think this is an assertion that goes too far right now given the fact that you rode the prototype up overheat hill and it performed admirably. Yes there will be differences between the prototype and the production unit but I struggle to believe heat production and dissipation could be this different between the two. Right now my money is on a firmware restriction that I suspect will be resolved in an upcoming release.

You may be correct, time will tell... My observation of all these issues is it blows my mind that these "COMPANIES" (not just inmotion) are releasing products before thoroughly testing and confirming they will perform well out in the field... the Good and or Bad Reviews can and will have a major impact on their Business... just my opinion

• Like 1

3 hours ago, maltocs said:

you must be on the shipping firmware. v2.2.6 and 2.2.7 require you to cycle the power after an overload, but yes, that heat sink cools super quick (apparently) 

Yes, shipping firmware. And thanks for pointing this out. I'm going to be reluctant to update the firmware now that I know this, because this overload thing happens to me... a lot. I'm actually temped to see if I can have one of my buddies with a CNC mill me a nicer (in this case, read: more massive — for more burst capacity) heatsink. Not that that's an ideal solution...

38 minutes ago, soulson said:

Yes, shipping firmware. And thanks for pointing this out. I'm going to be reluctant to update the firmware now that I know this, because this overload thing happens to me... a lot. I'm actually temped to see if I can have one of my buddies with a CNC mill me a nicer (in this case, read: more massive — for more burst capacity) heatsink. Not that that's an ideal solution...

ouuu, buddy with skillz is the best kinda buddy to have. let me know how that goes!

Just for interest: DId anybody get this overload problem on more or less flat area?

And yes - this figures from the handbook like possible mileage etc. are for the optimal rider. I'm riding in flat area - no chance to get above 52 km per ride for the V10F - this is also disappointing to me!

Yesterday I discovered a deformation in the rim. I suppose has to be in a drop on a skate-park pit weeks ago, was the biggest drop I did in that v10f. Didn´t notice until I see it, is only in one side and my riding is not affected by it.

Some advise for prevent or fix that issue?

photo_2018-07-11.jpg

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, Demargon said:

Yesterday I discovered a deformation in the rim. I suppose has to be in a drop on a skate-park pit weeks ago, was the biggest drop I did in that v10f. Didn´t notice until I see it, is only in one side and my riding is not affected by it.

Some advise for prevent or fix that issue?

photo_2018-07-11.jpg

There have been some recent discussions about fixing bent rims. Try searching the Forum.

Another reason why I don't jump and why I like to ride high pressure in my tires.

Good luck.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, em1barns said:

Talking about heat and mosfet, anyone would know the type used in v10?

I did not see any picture of the production board. But if you look at the pre-production board, you will notice that it is labeled... V8 from March 2017 (ref. https://ecodrift.ru/wiki/monokolesa/predseriynyy_inmotion_v10f_ne_kataemsya_a_izuchaem_ustroystvo/)

It will be interesting to compare with a V8 board to see if only the card is the same but components got upgraded or not.

Edited by Fastmike

8 minutes ago, Fastmike said:

I did not see any picture of the production board. But if you look at the pre-production board, you will notice that it is labeled... V8 from March 2017 (ref. https://ecodrift.ru/wiki/monokolesa/predseriynyy_inmotion_v10f_ne_kataemsya_a_izuchaem_ustroystvo/)

I already saw the board pictures, but could not see the mosfet model number. Can you?

Edited by em1barns

1 minute ago, em1barns said:

I already saw the board pictures, but could not see the mosfet model number. Can you?

Sorry I can't either, but that is supposed to be the pre-production board. On the model you received, it should be quiet different (e.g. InMotion told Ecodrift that the fuse will be a 40A vs 30 on the pics, etc...).

In my notes, I found a mention of someone saying that was IRFP4110 mofsets, but I did not find any evidence of that... those are 'average' models if that was the case.

BTW, just noticed that looks to be only 6 on them underneath the board, probably for cost saving.

Edited by Fastmike

Something weird just happened. I was riding and enjoying my silent wheel. I have played with sound customization and tried to record my own sound over the standard horrible fire alarm. It feels very buggy and it became silent. I think it’s a bug but hope it’s a feature. 

Now in the middle of my ride I got this new weird sound. Probably some kind of a bug. I did not change anything and I have not updated the app or firmware for a while. This is on 2.2.6. Next I’m going to play with sound customization again. 

• Like 2

23 hours ago, Demargon said:

then it can be obstructed by dust. The wheel tire is working like a fan, no need for other fan there

I understand that but maybe we need to get more air flow over the heat sink to get rid of the heat from the sink. I understand fans get dirty and clogged with dust/dirt when exposed outside but without increasing the size/area of the heatsink to dissipate the heat to the air, the only solution is to increase the air flow over the heat sink. An external fan blowing more air over the sink with a cleanable/accessible air filter or a water reservoir that skirts water on the sink when the temperature gets too hot? Compressed air/gas is too costly a solution unless an on board air compressor/storage tank is available. Water circulation system to a larger heatsink or a heat pipe to the larger heat sink.  

9 hours ago, Marcglider said:

You may be correct, time will tell... My observation of all these issues is it blows my mind that these "COMPANIES" (not just inmotion) are releasing products before thoroughly testing and confirming they will perform well out in the field... the Good and or Bad Reviews can and will have a major impact on their Business... just my opinion

Agreed. This does appear to have been a rushed release and was probably done to beat the 18L to market. I would actually prefer if the EUC comapnies reduced their new wheel release cycle and spent more time producing fewer models but higher quality wheels.

• Upvote 1

1 minute ago, WARPed1701D said:

Agreed. This does appear to have been a rushed release and was probably done to beat the 18L to market. I would actually prefer if the EUC comapnies reduced their new wheel release cycle and spent more time producing fewer models but higher quality wheels.

ABSOLUTELY... good luck with that though... It's always about "MONEY" (quality, market share, profit, etc) :efee565ab0:

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

7 minutes ago, WARPed1701D said:

You could be right of course. I just think that the small snippet of information that Bob supplied is a tiny part of the big picture about which we know very little and we need to keep perspective. A bad firmware can (as seen on the 18L and another KingSong firmware release a while back) literally kill a wheel or cause it to partially meltdown so it is well within the realm of possibility that they could significantly reduce heat production in the MOSFETs by improving the drive algorithm.

l

I agree to that. Despite that - too much speculation.

1 minute ago, em1barns said:

What is really disappointing is that cooling system was in their marketing material:

Active Cooling System
Quality MOSFETs + robust cooling system means critical components are always there to back you up

Yes. This could be an outright false claim and that is the easy (and likely first) conclusion people will draw, however, the other way of looking at that claim is that their confidence in the cooling hardware adds weight to to the possibility that the internals are being subjected to an artificially highy amount of heat from a possible poor drive algorithm.

• Upvote 1