New Inmotion V10 / V10F

Pingouin

If anyone is interested. I had a bearing go bad on my V10F. @Jason McNeil had INMOTION send me a new motor. As I was replacing the motor with the bad bearing I saw that the new motor had loose hex bolts holding on one side cover, and it, in fact, was missing one. I pulled one off the old motor and tightened up all the bolts. 

When I went to move my tire/tube to the new motor I noticed that the rim was bent where the hole for the stem was drilled. 

Got everything back together and the new motor whines pretty badly. The old one was just about silent as you’d expect from inmotion, but the new one is fairly loud and annoying. So much for a quiet relaxing ride. 

Needless to say, I think I’m done with inmotion (love my V8), and I’ll be taking recommendations for a new wheel. 

9A60F060-CD29-42D1-B92D-65B7A957410E.jpeg

Edited by TechShizzle
  • Like 1
  • Upvote 2

5 hours ago, TechShizzle said:

Got everything back together and the new motor whines pretty badly. The old one was just about silent as you’d expect from inmotion, but the new one is fairly loud and annoying. So much for a quiet relaxing ride. 

Needless to say, I think I’m done with inmotion (love my V8), and I’ll be taking recommendations for a new wheel. 

You are right: 'Loud' wheels to buy - no problem. That's the reason, why I was looking in my first guess at inmotion. Because this high pitch noise of the other wheels in this class is bothering me like the hell and ist totally inacceptable. Due to the more powerful motor the whhel is louder than the V5F - but relaxing riding in nature with only the wind in the ears.

In my case: No turns - due to my forward tilt problem. But I'm in touch with @Bobwheel

• Like 1

5 hours ago, TechShizzle said:

As I was replacing the motor with the bad bearing I saw that the new motor had loose hex bolts holding on one side cover, and it, in fact, was missing one. I pulled one off the old motor and tightened up all the bolts. 

Use blue threadlock, otherwise new bolt will be also lost. 

6 minutes ago, Demargon said:

Then maybe must use better alloy for that part of the euc

This problem related not only to EUC, also bicycles, motorcycles, cars, you can easy bend a rim, if there is not enough pressure in the tire. RIM shouldn't be tolerant to bumping, this is goal of tire. It should be light-weight

• Upvote 2

Haven't been following this thread nor did I see the important message from Inmotion about wet weather. Luckily I was contacted by Inmotion USA directly over the phone who told me about the wet weather issue. Interestingly enough my V10F has been in damp but not wet weather and have not had any issues (including no overloading issues). It's disappointing that these issues are coming out but at least Inmotion is taking active steps to correct it.

@Bobwheel Hi Bob,

About that potential issue in regards to waterproofing vulnerability, is that an InMotion Global announcement or just from InMotion USA?

My concern is that I did not see any communication from InMotion-France, and not aware of any message out of the USA.

Since that might conduct to severe damage or worse with Li-Ion battery, I would appreciate some feedback and confirmation that all wheel shipped all around the world are potentially concerned by that problem?

If that is the case, will the mitigation plan addressed to users straight from InMotion 'World' or will we have to wait for a hypothetical announcement from our region InMotion representative, that, so far, did not communicate at all around any issue?

Many thanks

Phil

• Upvote 1

9 hours ago, MBIKER_SURFER said:

You are right: 'Loud' wheels to buy - no problem. That's the reason, why I was looking in my first guess at inmotion. Because this high pitch noise of the other wheels in this class is bothering me like the hell and ist totally inacceptable. Due to the more powerful motor the whhel is louder than the V5F - but relaxing riding in nature with only the wind in the ears.

In my case: No turns - due to my forward tilt problem. But I'm in touch with @Bobwheel

We're two peas in a pod there. My V10F is riding very quiet compared to my old KS16B and I love that, and it was a important factor for me as well in choosing the V10F. Actually I think KS is worst in this regard, from what I understand from reading this forum Gotways (at least the newer ones) are pretty quiet with the Tesla being the quietest.

5 hours ago, Fastmike said:

[..]

About that potential issue in regards to waterproofing vulnerability, is that an InMotion Global announcement or just from InMotion USA?

My concern is that I did not see any communication from InMotion-France, and not aware of any message out of the USA.

[..]

I second that concern. I'm not aware of any official sales channel here in Sweden for instance, nor any Swedish stores selling the V10F at all, and have bought mine off AliExpress. I'm registered in the app with email and verified ownership so presumably  Inmotion know both my email and the fact that I own a V10F. This is apparently a potentially very serious vulnerability according to the release, yet had I not followed this forum I would have been none the wiser and would potentially be riding my V10 today for instance in rainy weather..

On 8/2/2018 at 7:30 PM, Jeffrey Scott Will said:

And yes, we are definitely going to take care of all of our customers. We will have a fix for everyone so they can confidently ride in the rain once we roll that out, but for now we ask you not do that. Anyone who actually gets water damage from this issue will also get fixed or replacement.

@Jeffrey Scott Will by "our customers" above, do you mean Inmotion USA's customers or Inmotion customers? If the former, what will happen to the rest of us?

• Upvote 2

FW 2.2.8:

Comfort Mode - 40 km/h max speed reachable

Classic Mode - max about 34 km/h reachable - batterie above 90% charged!!

I toggled the app between classic and comfort at least 5 times - always the same - classic is limitde to approx 34 km/h - then youll get this nice sound :efef77eaf5:

In classic mode mileage has definitly gone up - great!! I can confirm roughly 10% less consumption!

• Upvote 3

7 minutes ago, Fastmike said:

Sounds logical with limited speed...

Yeah? Logical? What if a Car Company behaved like this? - I just got my new Subaru Wrx Sti. It has two modes too. Both of them need too much air than the supercharger and turbo can deliver, so they put out a firmware to throttle down the amount of fuel going to the injectors and the rpms of the motor.

So in the meantime those of us who plunked down $30,000 can wait for a firmware fix so our cars wont stall out on the freeway at top speeds forcing us to pull over and restart the vehicles in order to continue n our journey. The company seems reticent to rplace the turbo and superchargers for higher output components stating that we shouldnt be driving that hard with the cars anyway. - Example

Does anyone think that a Car Company could get away with this type of corporate malfeasance? Hey @INMOTION SCV The above example was a fake, yours is Very real and needs to be addressed in a responsible corporate way. Stand up to the plate and face the music. Full disclosure with remedies are in order at this point.

• Upvote 3

7 minutes ago, Stan Onymous said:

Yeah? Logical? What if a Car Company behaved like this? - I just got my new Subaru Wrx Sti. It has two modes too. Both of them need too much air than the supercharger and turbo can deliver, so they put out a firmware to throttle down the amount of fuel going to the injectors and the rpms of the motor.

I just said that is logical based on the way that are trying to go around the problem by limiting power to reduce the overheating issue! I agree that the way it should be done is send a revised controller board to all customers able to replace them by themselves or propose to do it for the others. That for free of course since they advertized things that are not true!

They will never be able to cope with the 2000W motor's heat with the current board design, no way!

• Upvote 2

1 hour ago, MBIKER_SURFER said:

No - that is a bug - at least in my opinion!!

I think he was referring to you mentioning that you get better mileage with a lower top speed.

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, mrelwood said:

I think he was referring to you mentioning that you get better mileage with a lower top speed.

Well - I'm driving not too fast. This remark ist just to consolidate, that FW 2.2.8 gets more mileage out of the battery in classic mode.

Normally I'm getting the 'bang, bang' sound just by accident - today I forced it, to show up, whether this limited max speed is solved. I complained about this bug already in 2.2.7.

On 8/4/2018 at 10:38 AM, Nils said:

I second that concern. I'm not aware of any official sales channel here in Sweden for instance, nor any Swedish stores selling the V10F at all, and have bought mine off AliExpress. I'm registered in the app with email and verified ownership so presumably  Inmotion know both my email and the fact that I own a V10F. This is apparently a potentially very serious vulnerability according to the release, yet had I not followed this forum I would have been none the wiser and would potentially be riding my V10 today for instance in rainy weather..

@Jeffrey Scott Will by "our customers" above, do you mean Inmotion USA's customers or Inmotion customers? If the former, what will happen to the rest of us?

I actually don't even think "our customers" means Inmotion USA customers, just the customers that bought wheels DIRECTLY from InMotion USA.

Why do I think this? When I heard some people were getting emails directly from InMotion USA about the water problem, I send them a message via the InMotionUSA "Contact Us" page and asked to be put on their notification list regarding this problem and I mentioned I bought my V10F from eWheels. I got a pretty quick and nicely worded response that they only emailed customers who bought direct from InMotionUSA and I should contact eWheels directly. Oh, and a nice warning, "In the meantime, due to the weather proofing vulnerability, do not ride the V10/V10F in rainy conditions or on wet surfaces." For the record, when I bought my Britax Baby seat from Toys r Us, I registered the unit with Britax USA via their website. I got at least two recall notices and they sent out new parts without any intervention from me. 

I feel InMotionUSA acts more like a 3rd party seller rather than a Manufacture representative IN THIS CASE.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, maltocs said:

I actually don't even think "our customers" means Inmotion USA customers, just the customers that bought wheels DIRECTLY from InMotion USA.

Why do I think this? When I heard some people were getting emails directly from InMotion USA about the water problem, I send them a message via the InMotionUSA "Contact Us" page and asked to be put on their notification list regarding this problem and I mentioned I bought my V10F from eWheels. I got a pretty quick and nicely worded response that they only emailed customers who bought direct from InMotionUSA and I should contact eWheels directly. Oh, and a nice warning, "In the meantime, due to the weather proofing vulnerability, do not ride the V10/V10F in rainy conditions or on wet surfaces." For the record, when I bought my Britax Baby seat from Toys r Us, I registered the unit with Britax USA via their website. I got at least two recall notices and they sent out new parts without any intervention from me. 

I feel InMotionUSA acts more like a 3rd party seller rather than a Manufacture representative IN THIS CASE.

Yes, I'm getting that feeling myself. Well, at least in your case I have no doubt Jason will sort you out as needed, but that will still potentially leave a lot of other customers (including me) hanging. People have spoken out positively earlier about Inmotion acting responsibly in this case, but unfortunately events so far does not seem to fully support it.

There's no public announcement of this at all (we're reading it on this forum since a member forwarded the announcement, not since Inmotion posted it). I haven't seen any kind of public announcement elsewhere either. From the announcement we've learned that this is apparently a serious vulnerability that can render your V10 unusable, yet the alert only goes out to customers buying directly from myinmotion.com. Are we to believe the issue is primarily a problem for batches sold through that channel? Or have they decided to only act preemptively with that sub set of customers and think it advantageous to handle defects for other customers as warranty issues as they pop up? In that case I guess they deem problem limited enough that it will cheaper with the reputation hit than to preemptively offer fixes.

It's a good analogy with your baby seat, and another one could be made with cars - the manufacturer in that case takes responsibility for recalls and fixes regardless of what channel you bought the car from. This is my first Inmotion, and I want to be a fan, so I'm hoping they come through here. At the very least I hope they publish enough information so that customers like me can open up their wheels themselves and address the issue.

• Like 3

4 hours ago, UniVehje said:

I have no idea if this water issue was found by InMotion USA or the global company and why other distributors have not addressed the issue yet. 

This shouldn't matter. I directly asked at the repair centre Inmotion Iberia last week about that issue. Answer: My V10F doesn't have this problem........

• Like 1

1 hour ago, MBIKER_SURFER said:

This shouldn't matter. I directly asked at the repair centre Inmotion Iberia last week about that issue. Answer: My V10F doesn't have this problem........

Well, good news, congrats! How could they tell, did they inspect your wheel or did they determine this in some other manner?

1 hour ago, Nils said:

Well, good news, congrats! How could they tell, did they inspect your wheel or did they determine this in some other manner?

Well, that is the question! Did they know this issue or did they just answer because they don't hnow the memo from inmotion. They had my wheel for changing mainboard. But before this e-mail was known in the forum!

2 minutes ago, MBIKER_SURFER said:

Well, that is the question! Did they know this issue or did they just answer because they don't hnow the memo from inmotion. They had my wheel for changing mainboard. But before this e-mail was known in the forum!

I believe they don't want to know to avoid customers to be after them. So they prefer to bounce the ball and just tell you to ignore forums...