Your best advice?

The Fat Unicyclist

Okay everyone - just like a lot of you, l started this ridiculous e-unicycle thing without much support (and therefore learned the hard way). 

And looking back, the biggest problem I had wasn't that l didn't know anything, but that I didn't know what l should be asking about (so that l did know something). 

Now though, l have the opportunity to write a comment for "prospective riders." So my question to all of you... What is the single most important thing you most wish you knew when you started your EUC adventure? 

i didn’t know this but i did it anyway, wear ankle supporting tactical boots and wrap ur ankles and shins with neoprene wrap. i’ve had to bail a few times and one of those run offs could have sprained or twisted my previously broken ankle. because my lower legs are so well protected it makes me feel comfortable about that aspect of learning. hard to know the feeling of falling until u do it urself. hopefully i won’t experience a cut off for a while. the 2x4’s between the sawhorses in my situation were/are still huge. sorry that’s two. probably less than ten miles experience fwiw.

3 minutes ago, Demargon said:

Get one as soon as possible! If there's something I regret is I didn't buy or try DIY a EUC when I coul do it

Ok, this is not exactly an advice for beginners.  Maybe the best one is learn where is your machine limits and don't overpass it out of your training place

At some point, you can either be glad you wore wrist guards, or bitterly regret not having worn wrist guards. Whatever else protective clothing you may or may not wear, wear wrist guards.

--

6 hours ago, Antshark said:

Better to have power and not use it, than to want power and not have it.

If you replace "power" with "a big battery", it's equally true.

Learn to ride one-legged once you can ride any distance and certainly before you learn to mount. With one-legged riding, you'll be able to mount easily and gently, and also importantly move your feet around as they get numb.

9 hours ago, Antshark said:

Or: Better to have power and not use it, than to use power you don't have and faceplant.

8 hours ago, nute said:

Move to Florida or California so you can actually use the bloody thing more than twice between the months of October and May :angry: . Bloody raining again here ...

California. Florida has way too much humidity, mosquitoes, and rain ;)

I feel your pain :( 

Gotta use your whole body to balance. Twist them hips!

Spent hours just trying to lean left and right, falling off every time, before this clicked.

Find a big open space to practise as well where you don't have to worry about running out of ground or bumping into something.

I watched some YouTube videos and the reviews said how important a retractable handle was, but I didn't pay too much attention. Turns out, yes, a retractable handle is super important if you're actually going to be using one with any sort of regularity!

Also lights. I didn't think I needed them, but I go to a coffee shop when it's light out, but end up staying there until dark and find myself needing lights for safety and visibility.

I thought that learning in a narrow concrete hallway would help - turns out it was just a crutch!

I learned fastest when I went out to an open parking lot and practiced doing figure 8's until my wheel died :)

I wish I really knew how easy it was. 

That caused me to buy a slower dual wheel when I started, and it was way too easy. Even people that see/talk with me think it is hard, and it really is not. The hardest part is just controlling my urges and paying attention (a lot like motorcycle riding).

• 2 months later...

This has been a while coming, but it is finally online...  http://haveago.city/i-may-be-an-electric-unicyclist-now/

Thanks to everyone who provided input into this.

And, for the record: This has been a little "Americanized" (I don't really talk that way)   :D

1 hour ago, The Fat Unicyclist said:

This has been a while coming, but it is finally online...  http://haveago.city/i-may-be-an-electric-unicyclist-now/

And, for the record: This has been a little "Americanized" (I don't really talk that way)   :D

:cheers:

Great article and very informative!

know your braking distance and respect it, can't see around that corner you are coming up to, slow down stupid.  I've always gotten stopped but had a few calls to close for comfort.

if you don't know your breaking distance LEARN it.  Hard full stops until you can do it to satisfaction every time.

5 hours ago, The Fat Unicyclist said:

Excellent article very well written.

The technical author in me can’t help point out the one mistake I found An electric unicycle is small enough that I can take it wherever I go an on whatever I use to get there“” is missing the ‘d’ in and.

7 hours ago, The Fat Unicyclist said:

Standing ovation buddy!  Excellent work!  And many thanks for those little reminders! ?

• But at 25mph+, finding out that you’re never in total control, will be painful.
  •  and if it should stop for any reason (be it a pothole or a flat battery) you will fall.

It isn’t impossible to learn.  Don’t give up.  Over come your fear.  Go faster is much easier to learn than to try to go slow.  Turns out going slow is a tough skill to master for the advance stages.  Every little thing is a learning curve.  Going forward, turning left, turning right, going backwards, turning left going backwards, turning right going backwards, riding seated, transitioning from seated to standing and vice versa while on the move.  Getting on without a wall.  Coming to a stop.  Jumping.  Going one legged.  Idling.  

Remeber to wear protection.

On 1/27/2018 at 1:49 AM, Antshark said:

I thought 25 km/h was far faster than I ever wanted to go. I was so wrong.

With great power, comes great responsibility..

On 1/27/2018 at 1:36 PM, nute said:

Move to Florida or California so you can actually use the bloody thing more than twice between the months of October and May :angry: . Bloody raining again here ...

Since when has rain been an issue?! I've ridden my euc every weekday since dec in uk weather, rain, snow, ice and the only one that made me hate my life was the super windy days

Learning/starting is hard, but it will pass soon enough. Another thing is the price - you don't want cheap ones. Riding it is as easy as it seems, you totally will be able to learn. There are no hidden problems, things that you think you can do, but you cannot. You likely won't be able to jump on "normal size", like 10cm curbs, but half size are no problem. You just go off and put the wheel on the big curb, that is an effort in the beginning, but will pass. Pedestrians are stupid and see nothing - that is OK, just deal with it, sidewalks are their area, they don't have to be aware, slow down, be ready to just stop, ride more safely than you want at the beginning.

On 1/27/2018 at 11:04 AM, LanghamP said:

Learn to ride one-legged once you can ride any distance and certainly before you learn to mount. With one-legged riding, you'll be able to mount easily and gently, and also importantly move your feet around as they get numb.

Can't believe I missed this thread...it's a great idea.  One thing that never gets mentioned about the KS18S is that you can ride it one-legged from the start with zero effort.  

Archived