Segway S1 Top Speed

RooEUC

To all the new S1 owners, does yours max out at 18kph? I took mine for its first outdoor ride today.  I get tilt-back and beeps between 17 and 18 (third party gps). The absolute maximum recorded speed during the ride was 18.1kph for just a moment.  I was hoping it would feel closer to my old Ninebot One E+ but it’s 4-5kph slower. That puts it at the same speed at my MiniPro.   It feels so slow that I didn’t enjoy the ride. 

Segway claim 20kph.  There’s no way I can get there.  Is there a slight increase after 50km or something?

34 minutes ago, RooMiniPro said:

To all the new S1 owners, does yours max out at 18kph? I took mine for its first outdoor ride today.  I get tilt-back and beeps between 17 and 18 (third party gps). The absolute maximum recorded speed during the ride was 18.1kph for just a moment.  I was hoping it would feel closer to my old Ninebot One E+ but it’s 4-5kph slower. That puts it at the same speed at my MiniPro.   It feels so slow that I didn’t enjoy the ride. 

Segway claim 20kph.  There’s no way I can get there.  Is there a slight increase after 50km or something?

Mine goes 20kph then tiltback starts.  That is on the Ninebot app.  I havent't tried a 3rd party gps app.  Have you used the ninebot app, and it also shows 18kph?  I read that gps apps are not as accurate as bluetooth app reading speed directly from the wheel.  I didn't notice any increase after 50km, from the start it would tiltback at 20kph.

As the battery gets down around 50% the tiltback starts at lower speed.

Thanks. Yeah the app maxes at 19 momentarily if I ride hard into the limiter.  Tiltback starts at 18 in the app, 17 in the third party gps.  I only weigh about 150lbs and the battery is fully charged.  The wheel has less than 5km on it. 

Maybe after you do some more charges the speed will go up a little.  Mine arrived with almost dead batteries, the first 4 or 5 times charging the first battery would top out at around 2920mah and the second battery would show 3600mah at green light.  Then about an hour later they would both show about the same.  Now, they charge almost equally.

The first few times I rode it,  they would discharge differently also.  I wrote down one time that the first battery showed 37%, the second battery showed 18%.  I was afraid the second battery might be bad, but now they charge and discharge equally.

One thing I noticed is that when checking the watt usage in the app, battery one will show almost no watts with the wheel stationary leaned against something, but the second battery usually will show about 4 watts.  It seems the second battery drains differently at rest.

This is the S1 video. And that is how you ride the S1.

I think I've got about 100 miles now, really good high quality miles since I treat it more like an urban skateboard minus the falls.

Mine seems to top out around 10 mph, average 8 mph most times, and the tiltback triggers often and low.

For example, you can ask too much at say 2 mph and the tiltback triggers and stays up until the battery recovers. Or when it is too cold. Abuse the wheel too much and it kicks you off with a verbal warning then powers down but not off.

My batteries have been almost the same since day 1.

Except for the low speed I just love my S1, it feels great. And even the low speed doesn't bother me because I only use it on sidewalks and other pedestrian places where I'm about as fast as a person walking. 6 mph feels pretty fast when you're riding backwards on one leg...and this is the wheel to do that on.

16 hours ago, kasenutty said:

Has it been lighter and better for you than the E+ besides the speed? I know you were looking for something smaller and lighter. 

Yeah it’s definitely smaller and lighter.

Apart from one quick ride up the road yesterday I have only used it in the house over the past month because it snowed the moment I received it and the snow didnt melt until yesterday. But I like it so much more than the E+ for its small size, low weight, ease and comfort of carrying and how nimble it is to turn. 

What I don’t like is the low speed, the lack of magnets to hold the pedals up (they stay up by friction so it’s a little more effort to raise and lower them), the ear piercing beeper (easy to quieten though) and the fact that the ride stiffness can’t be adjusted. All things that I can live with apart from the snail’s pace top speed. 

I have a few days of the return peroid left and I’m trying to decide.  Honestly, with it being exactly the same speed as my Minipro, I think I prefer riding the MiniPro and I might rather just get another one (or the Lite if it comes to Canada) for my two-person rides.

I used the E+ for regular, long range pleasure rides and loved it, but this S1 might be too slow and annoying for that. I can’t imagine riding this for 2 hours and finding it fun.  I have to stay at a realistic 16kph to avoid the beeps altogether.  There will be people in electric wheelchairs wanting to pass me.  This unit maxing out at about 17.5kph suggests a battery issue. Some of you are getting the claimed 20kph just fine. The E+ happily did 22 and that felt nice. 

It seems more and more like Smegway are cheaply offloading hundreds of S1s that didn’t meet the required performance standard. In other words, lots of them seem to have dud/weak batteries.

$399 CAD seemed too good to be true. Perhaps in my case it was. It’s still a bargain but if I’m not going to use it it’s a waste. I’ll have to think about it over the weekend.

Thanks to everyone for sharing your max speed results. It seems I may have received a lemon. 

The S1 battery problem seems to afflict a full quarter of the Amazon reviewers. There are instructions in the back of the manual to wake up the batteries from hibernation but this is not likely to help truly damaged batteries. Perhaps @Chriull or @Chriull11 could comment on likely battery health.

Are your two Segways the only EUCs you own? In my opinion, the S1 closer to the IPS i5 in the sense that you would cruise 1/2 to 2 miles on one.

I love mine, I ride it almost 100% of the time if I don't need to commute.

Now about that MTEN3...

29 minutes ago, LanghamP said:

The S1 battery problem seems to afflict a full quarter of the Amazon reviewers. There are instructions in the back of the manual to wake up the batteries from hibernation but this is not likely to help truly damaged batteries. Perhaps @Chriull or @Chriull11 could comment on likely battery health.

Are your two Segways the only EUCs you own? In my opinion, the S1 closer to the IPS i5 in the sense that you would cruise 1/2 to 2 miles on one.

I love mine, I ride it almost 100% of the time if I don't need to commute.

Now about that MTEN3...

I just have the S1 and the MiniPro now. I sold the E+ in December.  It was a great wheel, but too big and bulky for me.  

11 minutes ago, RooMiniPro said:

I just have the S1 and the MiniPro now. I sold the E+ in December.  It was a great wheel, but too big and bulky for me.  

I know what you mean by big and bulky. I injured my hip from carrying a 50 pound wheel up and down flights of steps. That hip took months to heal.

Aside from the obvious cost penalty, I'm convinced a 14 inch and an 18 inch wheel covers virtually 100% of riding.

19 minutes ago, LanghamP said:

I know what you mean by big and bulky. I injured my hip from carrying a 50 pound wheel up and down flights of steps. That hip took months to heal.

Aside from the obvious cost penalty, I'm convinced a 14 inch and an 18 inch wheel covers virtually 100% of riding.

Yeah if you have a 14 and an 18, a 16 is pretty redundant.  I love the 14” size and I know it would get me anywhere I want to go. I have no interest in 18” and 22” wheels. I’d just get a bike.  But I know many here love the huge wheels. I hurt my back lifting a 220lb patient out of a wheelchair last year, so carrying a 16” or 18” wheel for more than 10 minutes is uncomfortable. The S1 feels super comfortable to carry. The handle is really nice. 

21 minutes ago, RooMiniPro said:

I know many here love the huge wheels. I hurt my back lifting a 220lb patient out of a wheelchair last year, so carrying a 16” or 18” wheel for more than 10 minutes is uncomfortable.

I am one of those 18inch lovers :-) I could NEVER ever imagine going back to a 14inch wheel....

I always read about carrying a wheel, but i guess in over 1,5 years of driving a Ks18 24kg monster, the only time i ever carried it is when i have to get over some stairs, or throw it into my car,  so thats just some seconds. Other than that it gets trolleyed when i dont drive it :-)

Could someone do me a favour and power on your S1, lift it up by the handle and turn the wheel with your other hand. Is the wheel hard to turn (the motor gives resistance) and does it make the metallic scraping chirps? 

31 minutes ago, RooMiniPro said:

Could someone do me a favour and power on your S1, lift it up by the handle and turn the wheel with your other hand. Is the wheel hard to turn (the motor gives resistance) and does it make the metallic scraping chirps? 

Yes.  Like the tire is being held in place.  It chirps when forcing the tire to turn with the hand.  Must be normal.

21 minutes ago, steve454 said:

Yes.  Like the tire is being held in place.  It chirps when forcing the tire to turn with the hand.  Must be normal.

Thanks for the quick reply!

• 3 weeks later...

I got to the bottom of this (non)issue.  It turns out my S1 wasn't fully charged when I took it out that day.  It was probably in reality at about 70% of actual capacity.  "Fully charged" or "100%" on the North American S1s means 80% in reality.  And mine had been sitting for a while due to bad weather.  Then when I took it out for the first time, the temperature was crazily cold  (double digits in the minus centigrade).  So the battery was not providing adequate power and my top speed was limited a little.  Now that it's not so cold I can peak at 20kph and cruise at 18-19kph without hitting the limiter.  I do wish the S1 wasn't software-limited to this speed though, and it could do 24kph like its 'rest of the world' clone, the S2.  But I love my S1 now, just for its small size, comfortable carry-ability and smooth ride.  I can't wait for spring! 

3 hours ago, RooMiniPro said:

I got to the bottom of this (non)issue.  It turns out my S1 wasn't fully charged when I took it out that day.  It was probably in reality at about 70% of actual capacity.  "Fully charged" or "100%" on the North American S1s means 80% in reality.  And mine had been sitting for a while due to bad weather.  Then when I took it out for the first time, the temperature was crazily cold  (double digits in the minus centigrade).  So the battery was not providing adequate power and my top speed was limited a little.  Now that it's not so cold I can peak at 20kph and cruise at 18-19kph without hitting the limiter.  I do wish the S1 wasn't software-limited to this speed though, and it could do 24kph like its 'rest of the world' clone, the S2.  But I love my S1 now, just for its small size, comfortable carry-ability and smooth ride.  I can't wait for spring! 

yaay for u figuring that out. yeah these little 9bots are fine little machines. seems like my max comfortable speed iis 20kph no matter which wheel i ride including my favorite ks-18s. i agree that it would be cool to unlock the s1 because spec wise, other than voltage, they are identical. idk if i’ll ever use the extra 2.5 mph on the s2.

On 2018-02-15 at 10:48 PM, novazeus said:

yaay for u figuring that out. yeah these little 9bots are fine little machines. seems like my max comfortable speed iis 20kph no matter which wheel i ride including my favorite ks-18s. i agree that it would be cool to unlock the s1 because spec wise, other than voltage, they are identical. idk if i’ll ever use the extra 2.5 mph on the s2.

Even the voltage is the same.  It’s just that Segway USA supply our wheels with chargers that output lower voltage and so our batteries only get to 80%.

39 minutes ago, RooMiniPro said:

Even the voltage is the same.  It’s just that Segway USA supply our wheels with chargers that output lower voltage and so our batteries only get to 80%.

here’s the screenshots of both.

On ‎17‎/‎02‎/‎2018 at 10:36 PM, novazeus said:

the way i look at it, they are the same wheel except the s1 has been de-tuned. so it sb a safer wheel. and a longer lasting wheel. just a little slower.

Yeah pretty much.  The S1 is software-restricted to lower performance but the hardware is identical.  It's so annoying that Segway think Americans can't be trusted with anything that goes faster than jogging pace, while the rest of the world gets to enjoy the wheels as they were designed to run.

• 1 month later...
On 27/1/2018 at 12:01 AM, LanghamP said:

This is the S1 video. And that is how you ride the S1.

I think I've got about 100 miles now, really good high quality miles since I treat it more like an urban skateboard minus the falls.

Mine seems to top out around 10 mph, average 8 mph most times, and the tiltback triggers often and low.

For example, you can ask too much at say 2 mph and the tiltback triggers and stays up until the battery recovers. Or when it is too cold. Abuse the wheel too much and it kicks you off with a verbal warning then powers down but not off.

My batteries have been almost the same since day 1.

Except for the low speed I just love my S1, it feels great. And even the low speed doesn't bother me because I only use it on sidewalks and other pedestrian places where I'm about as fast as a person walking. 6 mph feels pretty fast when you're riding backwards on one leg...and this is the wheel to do that on.

Ha ha ha These are from my city Seville.
Those do not work, they are acrobats with the NineBot and without NineBot.
They are authentic wheel machines, they do what they want and more, but I have not seen them rolling for a long time.

the s1 is a nice machine! if i could i would disable the tiltback, but it's actually very smooth and subtle; plus, i didn't get the wheel to go fast. i'm going to start practicing going backwards on it...

Archived