Jump to content

Just Ordered My First EUC!!! MCM3 H.S. 340Wh From Tec-Toys!


Esash
 Share

Recommended Posts

5 hours ago, electricpen said:

All my wipeouts outside of learning have come from unexpected dips, bumps, cracks, or very rough road while going at full speed.

Yep, stealthy bumps are a pain. In that way we're like motorcycles or bicycles, but with the added challenge of the self-balancing aspect. The scariest is when you ride parallel to big grooves and they want to grab your tire and prevent you from making small adjustments to balance. I tend to cross them as much as possible at a right angle.

  • Upvote 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

My baby arrived today!

My extreme bow-leggedness is great for sports (that was Barry Sanders' freaky gift. For Adrian Peterson it was being born with two ACLs in each knee), but really bad for being able to touch my calves against each side of the MCM3. Which is strange, because I thought the MCM3 was a relatively wide EUC design.

Anyway, the foam packaging in the box appears to have solved that problem. It fits right over the top and my legs can touch each side. I'll give it another shot.

Very frustrating start though, but I worked up a good sweat.

 

before_surgery.jpg?w=500

 

 

 

 

 

 

  • Like 3
Link to comment
Share on other sites

26 minutes ago, meepmeepmayer said:

Finally! Enjoy:efeeec645d:

And remember: the very first fall outside/on any hard ground will give you the worst scratches. Pad it up NOW if you care. This includes the pedal undersides.

Also, prepare for some shin bruises:efee612b4b:

Thanks!  I get the feeling my wheel is in "hard" mode rather than "soft" mode. I don't have a smart phone to connect to the app. I should add that to the wish list of dream EUC: Not needing to buy ANOTHER electronic device to change the settings on the damn wheel.

 

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

53 minutes ago, Scouts Honor said:

Thanks!  I get the feeling my wheel is in "hard" mode rather than "soft" mode. I don't have a smart phone to connect to the app. I should add that to the wish list of dream EUC: Not needing to buy ANOTHER electronic device to change the settings on the damn wheel.

 

Android or iOS based tablets also work BTW.

A couple of years ago I saw the writing on the wall - everything will soon require a smartphone. So I jumped in. Even if you don't want to use the phone function, they're pretty damn useful.

Edited by Marty Backe
  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

58 minutes ago, Scouts Honor said:

Thanks!  I get the feeling my wheel is in "hard" mode rather than "soft" mode. I don't have a smart phone to connect to the app. I should add that to the wish list of dream EUC: Not needing to buy ANOTHER electronic device to change the settings on the damn wheel.

 

Wouldn't it be great if all wheels came with a remote control like TV's and car stereos for changing settings?  But then the consumer information would not be as readily available to the Chinese manufacturers.

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

19 minutes ago, Scouts Honor said:

Thanks. Yeah I'll order a cheap one from the birthplace of my Gotway.

Go to your local Walmart and buy a disposable phone (look at LG). $30 and you're good to go.

  • Like 3
Link to comment
Share on other sites

14 minutes ago, Scouts Honor said:

I'm guessing basketball shoes aren't the right choice given these pedals. I'll try running shoes or hiking boots tomorrow. Had some issues with slippage.

 

s-l640.jpg

You could try grip tape.  https://www.amazon.com/dp/B072NRYXPM/ref=asc_df_B072NRYXPM5354237/?tag=hyprod-20&creative=394997&creativeASIN=B072NRYXPM&linkCode=df0&hvadid=198088319012&hvpos=1o1&hvnetw=g&hvrand=9755487602485980709&hvpone=&hvptwo=&hvqmt=&hvdev=c&hvdvcmdl=&hvlocint=&hvlocphy=9027214&hvtargid=pla-351381335938

Link to comment
Share on other sites

15 minutes ago, Marty Backe said:

Go to your local Walmart and buy a disposable phone (look at LG). $30 and you're good to go.

OK, will do. Thanks Marty.

15 minutes ago, steve454 said:

You could try grip tape.

Great idea, thanks. I was thinking I'd need to buy sandpaper and glue or something.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

7 minutes ago, steve454 said:

i just ordered some. for my 9bot1e+. i think that’s part of the reason it’s my least favorite wheel is because of it’s pedals. did u use this grip tape on urs?

Link to comment
Share on other sites

7 minutes ago, Scouts Honor said:

OK, will do. Thanks Marty.

Great idea, thanks. I was thinking I'd need to buy sandpaper and glue or something.

For my old KS14C, which had similar pedals, I bought anti-slip (by 3M I think) sheets from Home Depot. I think they are advertised for stairs. At $10 worth will cover the pedals. Feels like the equivalent of 40-grit sandpaper. It worked amazingly wheel. Cut to shape, peel off the backing, and stick to the pedals.

  • Like 1
  • Upvote 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

8 minutes ago, novazeus said:

i just ordered some. for my 9bot1e+. i think that’s part of the reason it’s my least favorite wheel is because of it’s pedals. did u use this grip tape on urs?

 

4 minutes ago, Marty Backe said:

For my old KS14C, which had similar pedals, I bought anti-slip (by 3M I think) sheets from Home Depot. I think they are advertised for stairs. At $10 worth will cover the pedals. Feels like the equivalent of 40-grit sandpaper. It worked amazingly wheel. Cut to shape, peel off the backing, and stick to the pedals.

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

9 minutes ago, novazeus said:

i just ordered some. for my 9bot1e+. i think that’s part of the reason it’s my least favorite wheel is because of it’s pedals. did u use this grip tape on urs?

At first I tried a small piece on the outside edge of the pedal.  It worked good,  Then I took off the pedals, divided the halves, and applied it.  Either way, it gives a slight advantage.:huh::wacko:<_<:facepalm:

Link to comment
Share on other sites

42 minutes ago, steve454 said:

At first I tried a small piece on the outside edge of the pedal.  It worked good,  Then I took off the pedals, divided the halves, and applied it.  Either way, it gives a slight advantage.:huh::wacko:<_<:facepalm:

it’s interesting learning on all these different wheels simultaneously. with my tactical boots, the sandpaper non skid that’s on all but the 9bot1e+, works really well, the rubbed poking outof the 9bot1e+, not so much. foot wear, foot position and boot to pedal adhesion is huge for a beginner. i think wobble can be caused by one or both feet too rearward on the pedals. my road has quite a bit of debris on it from the trees, so it’s kinda a bumpy ride. figuring out what trash i can roll over with each wheel. i think the ks-18s is gonna be a hoot in my pastures. talk about leg toning.i hope 9bot’s new 18” wheel turns out to be a good one, it might be just perfect for the pastures with the 4” tire, but it’s gonna need a lot of juice to handle my pastures.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 1/30/2018 at 4:32 PM, Scouts Honor said:

My baby arrived today!

My extreme bow-leggedness is great for sports (that was Barry Sanders' freaky gift. For Adrian Peterson it was being born with two ACLs in each knee), but really bad for being able to touch my calves against each side of the MCM3. Which is strange, because I thought the MCM3 was a relatively wide EUC design.

Anyway, the foam packaging in the box appears to have solved that problem. It fits right over the top and my legs can touch each side. I'll give it another shot.

Very frustrating start though, but I worked up a good sweat.

 

before_surgery.jpg?w=500

 

 

 

 

 

 

Just curious Scout. When your legs are in that position , feet pointed straight forward, what is the distance between your knees? There is a plethora of self stick foam available on the market in different densities you might try.

This foam mat is 1/2” thick. I know it is more material than you need but look on the bright side,  you can take up yoga and improve your health and flexibility at the same time..;) You would need some double faced tape to secure it to the existing pads. You could also glue or tape  2 or 3 pieces together and then grind the material to match the contour of your inner shins.

https://www.amazon.com/Sivan-Health-Fitness-2-InchExtra-Exercise/dp/B00H1LM3NI

 

39302777174_a26a936b6e_b.jpg

 

Edited by Rehab1
  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

7 hours ago, Rehab1 said:

Just curious Scout. When your legs are in that position , feet pointed straight forward, what is the distance between your knees? There is a plethora of self stick foam available on the market in different densities you might try.

This foam mat is 1/2” thick. I know it is more material than you need but look on the bright side,  you can take up yoga and improve your health and flexibility at the same time..;) You would need some double faced tape to secure it to the existing pads. You could also glue or tape  2 or 3 pieces together and then grind the material to match the contour of your inner shins.

https://www.amazon.com/Sivan-Health-Fitness-2-InchExtra-Exercise/dp/B00H1LM3NI

 

39302777174_a26a936b6e_b.jpg

 

Hello everyone... I'd like to introduce you to @Rehab1... recently retired rider, and now official orthotist for the global EUC community!

  • Like 3
Link to comment
Share on other sites

22 hours ago, Rehab1 said:

Just curious Scout. When your legs are in that position , feet pointed straight forward, what is the distance between your knees? There is a plethora of self stick foam available on the market in different densities you might try.

This foam mat is 1/2” thick. I know it is more material than you need but look on the bright side,  you can take up yoga and improve your health and flexibility at the same time..;) You would need some double faced tape to secure it to the existing pads. You could also glue or tape  2 or 3 pieces together and then grind the material to match the contour of your inner shins.

https://www.amazon.com/Sivan-Health-Fitness-2-InchExtra-Exercise/dp/B00H1LM3NI

 

39302777174_a26a936b6e_b.jpg

 

Thanks for the info Rehab, I'm glad you're still on the forum. Good luck with surgery on Saturday if that's when it is. 

My knees are about as far apart as in that photo. But after watching a how-to video, I realize that perhaps the EUC isn't supposed to press against both calves at the same time, and that space is important for being able to turn the wheel quickly, as illustrated in this video I cued up for you:

 

There was a break in the deep freeze today, so I took it outside for the first time, and enjoyed the balmy 34 degree F (1? degree C) weather. I was able to actually ride around a little bit.

I'll definitely look into that mat/padding material you mentioned, but right now my biggest concern is leaning far enough forward to get some decent speed, without feeling like I'm falling forward or falling out of my ability to then lean back to stop.

Unfortunately, the weather won't be above freezing for 3-4 weeks according to the forecast, but I'll just make sure I get out there regularly anyway. I just need more time on the wheel, and I'll figure out how to lean forward comfortably, and how to turn without looking like an interpretive dancer.

 

tenor.gif?itemid=7734288

 

 

 

 

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

13 hours ago, Scott Henley said:

You’ll love it once you get the hang of riding . As someone who just recently got his first wheel (about 4 weeks ago) I’ll give you this advice : don’t get discouraged. That first night with my wheel was very very disheartening. I started off in my hallway and struggled for 3hrs trying gain balance . By the end of the night I felt I’d never get it . It actually kinda scared me because it just seemed so difficult. The second day I looped a belt to the handle and took it out into a vacant lot . (Lots of padding to be sure I didn’t do any damage to it ) over 4-5 hrs I realized that I was having issues in the hallway because of the super low speed I had to keep indoors . For me at least , somewhere around 5-10mph made staying balanced much easier . That night I was able to ride home from the parking lot on my wheel . It felt like a huge victory ! And over the next few weeks it just got easier and easier. Now a month in I’m still honing my skills but am able to traverse all types of terrain and hop of curbs and small steps . It’s the most enjoyable thing I think I’ve ever experienced. Just stick with it and don’t get upset if it doesn’t come quickly . Watching videos of people riding makes it look so easy , just remember most of them have been at it awhile . Congratulations on the new purchase you’re gonna have a blast with it !

Thanks a lot Scott! Yeah, my fragile ego was bruised that first night. Unlike you I wasn't even able to try for 3 hours. I think I passed out from exhaustion after 45 minutes or something, lol.

Today was my second day and like you, I took it to a parking lot. I just struggled to get my speed up so that I wasn't teetering at super-slow speed. I guess I just need to trust leaning forward more, and be confident that I'll still have the balance to be able to lean back, and not get stuck leaning forward and accelerating out of control. Even my 25 lb wheel is heavy, and could really do some damage to a parked car or pedestrian. 

Right now I'm a bit nostalgic for those days when I was a pedestrian, and life was so simple...

 

 

 

 

  • Like 3
Link to comment
Share on other sites

15 minutes ago, meepmeepmayer said:

To brake, just bend your knees (like you are going into a squat). It shifts your center of weight back, and so you slow down. Also a good emergency technique in that you can always do that.

Great to know, thanks Meep!

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

 Share

×
×
  • Create New...