Inmotion V5

high'tems

1 hour ago, SlowMo said:
1 hour ago, SlowMo said:

Yeah, but the price of around 370USD + shipping makes it attractive for park riding and light people. It also comes with the unique handlebar. I prefer the Zero which is much better in all aspects except for the handle bar and the lift button.

Ok BUT would you buy a V5 if it had the same specs as the Zero 340? A V5++:D

Because V5 is quite beautiful in matte black.:wub:

• Replies 107
  • Created
  • Last Reply
8 minutes ago, Viktiga said:

Ok BUT would you buy a V5 if it had the same specs as the Zero 340? A V5++:D

Because V5 is quite beautiful in matte black.:wub:

Yes absolutely! Actually, I already got a price for the V5+. I am just holding back since this is another beta release and my wife is already at my back. :P

Just now, SlowMo said:

Yes absolutely! Actually, I already got a price for the V5+. I am just holding back since this is another beta release and my wife is already at my back. :P

See Inmotion? There is money in a Pro version;)

What I'm wondering is if they really do use 72V (nominal) battery packs (that would be, what, 20S instead of the "usual" 16S?). AFAIK, the only upsides of (even) higher voltage are probably more precise speed control (although that could probably be done just with more precise PWM?) or possibly higher top speed (higher back-EMF), which would make sense to bring up the voltage, but at least the latter doesn't seem to be the case here, if the max speed is 18km/h, or even 25km/h after unlock, since we already have 60V motors running above 30km/h (like King Songs and shunted Firewheels) and even close to 40km/h (MSuper HS)...

Nice wheel, nothing bad to say.  But I have to wonder why everyone is trying to make a Ninebot one.  Kingsong 16, and now the V5.  I had liked the inmotion's looks with the built in trolley handle.  I like kingsongs looks too.  They all seem to be going in the same design direction.

3 hours ago, esaj said:

What I'm wondering is if they really do use 72V (nominal) battery packs (that would be, what, 20S instead of the "usual" 16S?). AFAIK, the only upsides of (even) higher voltage are probably more precise speed control (although that could probably be done just with more precise PWM?) or possibly higher top speed (higher back-EMF), which would make sense to bring up the voltage, but at least the latter doesn't seem to be the case here, if the max speed is 18km/h, or even 25km/h after unlock, since we already have 60V motors running above 30km/h (like King Songs and shunted Firewheels) and even close to 40km/h (MSuper HS)...

They are offering the 72v battery packs with 2 Ah and 4 Ah option. The weight difference is around 1 kg. @esaj, what does 2 Ah and 4 Ah mean in terms of Wh?

5 hours ago, SlowMo said:

They are offering the 72v battery packs with 2 Ah and 4 Ah option. The weight difference is around 1 kg. @esaj, what does 2 Ah and 4 Ah mean in terms of Wh?

They are the total capacities of the pack(s)... I'd hazard a guess that the 2Ah is a single pack of 2000mAh cells and 4Ah-version is two 2Ah-packs. If the voltage (72V) is correct, the watt hour amounts would then be

72V * 2Ah = 144Wh  and

72V * 4Ah = 288Wh

As for range with such packs, hard to say if and how the higher voltage affects the "consumption" of the wheel, so don't know if the usual 10-15Wh per km "rule of thumb" holds here.

The Inmotion V5 and V5+ were just added to the Green and Fashion AliExpress store...any word on what the "+" denomination might mean? Is that just an upgraded battery?

http://www.aliexpress.com/store/product/Freeshipping-Inmotion-v5-v5-18km-40km-APP-Lighting-bluebooth-Perfect-design-Electric-unicycle-scooter-one-wheel/1908673_32540382102.html

3 hours ago, csmyers said:

The Inmotion V5 and V5+ were just added to the Green and Fashion AliExpress store...any word on what the "+" denomination might mean? Is that just an upgraded battery?

http://www.aliexpress.com/store/product/Freeshipping-Inmotion-v5-v5-18km-40km-APP-Lighting-bluebooth-Perfect-design-Electric-unicycle-scooter-one-wheel/1908673_32540382102.html

The V5+ has a 4 ah battery which is around 288 wh and an increase in weight of 1kg to something like 11.5-11.7kgs. Both have motors rated at 350w and have a peak power output of 500-800w. Both are beautiful but have no christmas lights like the Zero and the Ninebot One. :) 

7 hours ago, SlowMo said:

The V5+ has a 4 ah battery which is around 288 wh and an increase in weight of 1kg to something like 11.5-11.7kgs. Both have motors rated at 350w and have a peak power output of 500-800w. Both are beautiful but have no christmas lights like the Zero and the Ninebot One. :) 

Damn, SlowMo, you really get around the forums! Is top speed still as listed above, 18km/h?

If I could get one for around $350 + shipping, this seems to be the ideal unicycle for beginners or for children.

They have the Inmotion logo so they won't go down to that price.;) The build quality and design is top notch which makes it a very good buy. It's got that oomph factor and it's very beautiful. Although it is not designed for the speed enthusiasts, it is very attractive to the other group of riders who loves to play around in the park. It is selling like hotcakes now in China because the price is very reasonable. They say you can increase the speed to 25km/h. And lastly, we seldom receive any complaints about Inmotion EUC's. :)

• 3 weeks later...
On 11/21/2015 at 0:44 AM, csmyers said:

Damn, SlowMo, you really get around the forums! Is top speed still as listed above, 18km/h?

If I could get one for around $350 + shipping, this seems to be the ideal unicycle for beginners or for children.

A local shop here is selling V5 for 569 SGD(400+ USD) and the V5+ for 769 SGD(545 USD).

On 11/16/2015 at 1:01 AM, esaj said:

Isn't the principal upside of higher voltage always to have lower currents, which means (1) less electrical losses and (2) the possibility of using thinner (and therefore lighter) wiring? I wouldn't be able to say whether in this case the effect is quantitatively relevant in practice though and I like the idea to have standard chargers that can be used with all devices.

There was a special promotion on Dec 12 where I could buy 2 V5+ and get the 3rd one FREE. Total cost for 3 would be US$930 or about US$310 each.

Needless to say, I couldn't find 2 other guys in the same city I could trust to split the 3 V5+ with and ended up missing the promo. Sigh~

4 hours ago, Niko said:

Isn't the principal upside of higher voltage always to have lower currents, which means (1) less electrical losses and (2) the possibility of using thinner (and therefore lighter) wiring? I wouldn't be able to say whether in this case the effect is quantitatively relevant in practice though and I like the idea to have standard chargers that can be used with all devices.

True, you need less current to produce the same power, maybe that's the reason. As for weight, in this case I doubt that's the reason, as the wiring is already pretty light and those 4 extra cells add about 180-200 grams of weight per pack and need more space. Hard to shed that much just by lighter gauge wiring, as the wires aren't very thick or long even in the 60V models, thickest something like 14AWG for a power cables (weighs less than 20 grams per meter, according to here: http://www.engineersedge.com/copper_wire.htm)?

On 12/14/2015 at 6:11 PM, esaj said:

True, you need less current to produce the same power, maybe that's the reason. As for weight, in this case I doubt that's the reason, as the wiring is already pretty light and those 4 extra cells add about 180-200 grams of weight per pack and need more space. Hard to shed that much just by lighter gauge wiring, as the wires aren't very thick or long even in the 60V models, thickest something like 14AWG for a power cables (weighs less than 20 grams per meter, according to here: http://www.engineersedge.com/copper_wire.htm)?

Right, except, maybe, for the wiring of the entire motor. In any case, current might well be the limiting/decisive factor for power delivery/cut-outs, which means that higher voltage increases the safety margin.

check out this disassembly video

all seems to be of really high quality, but most amazingly - totally unique. not only the controller, but even the crescent-shaped battery! (well, partly to be expected as they use the uncommon voltage)

IMO it's the best unicycle design I've seen so far. I also love the handle - had a similar idea to build for my generic EU.

Real pity the max speed is only 18km/h

17 minutes ago, Tomek said:

all seems to be of really high quality, but most amazingly - totally unique. not only the controller, but even the crescent-shaped battery! (well, partly to be expected as they use the uncommon voltage)

IMO it's the best unicycle design I've seen so far. I also love the handle - had a similar idea to build for my generic EU.

Very nice product disassembly video! Other brands should follow their example. You can see the top quality and design of this unit.

About the max speed, @Linneaunicycles mentioned that it can be set to 25km/h using the app.

http://forum.electricunicycle.org/topic/934-inmotion-v5/?do=findComment&comment=19022

37 minutes ago, SlowMo said:

About the max speed, @Linneaunicycles mentioned that it can be set to 25km/h using the app.

I'm really curious how it compares in performance (torque, actual top speed) to IPS Zero. I always check taobao for price reference as it's closest to the factory prices, and V5+ and Zero 260 both sell in China for around 3000 RMB (460$).

2 minutes ago, Tomek said:

I'm really curious how it compares in performance (torque, actual top speed) to IPS Zero. I always check taobao for price reference as it's closest to the factory prices, and V5+ and Zero 260 both sell in China for around 3000 RMB (460$).

They say the motor of the V5 is only 350w nominal thus the low top speed. 

51 minutes ago, Tomek said:

The V5+ is indeed about 3000 RMB. (except for the promo I mentioned above). The Zero 240WH can be had for 2000 RMB. I asked about battery difference and the IPS rep in online chat swears they are the same battery make and just as safe but simply lower capacity overall. Both the 240 and 260 versions apparently use the same Chinese made batteries they selected.

That said, how's the footrest clearance from the ground and the shape doing for tight turns?

2 hours ago, Tomek said:

Thanks for the awesome video. This is one of my top choices for my first EUC other than IPS ZERO and Gotway MCM4. Actually the MCM4 is likely off the list soon due to footrest issue. So top 2 choices. :P

I love how the V5 was put together.. heck I think it's better put together than the Zero. (seen pictures of poor fits forced and shoddy hot glue etc)
Such a pity about the 350w motor then.. what was InMotion thinking??? That's the only thing holding me back on this till I can be sure 25km/h is safe and achievable.

I don't seem to see many reviews of InMotion here.. is there a reason for this?

PD

12 hours ago, Tomek said:

thanks for the vid.  i am still searching for my 1st EUC & with a limited budget.  may i know the generic EUC your using?

Archived