Augus

• Replies 88
  • Created
  • Last Reply
31 minutes ago, EU GUY said:

burned fuse. :P

mind you, the fuse was still working fine :)

i actually think that the fuse had burned on the spin out incident but then melted back together again.

wich was fortunate, it would have been hell to get home with a dead wheel that day :)

2 hours ago, Rob Valley said:

today i decided to do preventive maintenance on my KS16.

20180204_125557.jpg

Preventative maintenance is a great idea. I do worry about the fuse even though you state the continuity remains intact. The black soot discoloration is not only on the fuse but also the adjacent XL60 connector. This concerns me. For safety I would change out the fuse and clean the surrounding area with alcohol wipes to remove any soot residue to assist in analyzing any future inspections. Also the entire male housing of the XL60 is definitely showing signs of heat. Here is what new connectors should look like. Maybe place a little heat insulating barrier between the male connector and the metallic surface... heat sink? ...Can’t tell from the photo.

39179694195_1a6124d1f4_b.jpg

Wow, that really looked like short before a fail!

What happend on that "accident" ? Did the wheel get some kind of stuck, while still giving power and trying to rotate?

Then its understandable that the fuse was short before burning, as this is the kind of failure where other boards get burned.

So the fuse tries to protect board and/or batterys from blowing.

Rehabs advise are very good, clean the area and take a look once in a while if no other part is responsible for the black sood.

In normal operation this area should not look like this!

41 minutes ago, KingSong69 said:

Wow, that really looked like short before a fail!

What happend on that "accident" ? Did the wheel get some kind of stuck, while still giving power and trying to rotate?

The wheel spun out, making a few flips before coming to a rest, like it does usually if you play around at no speed and loose the handling, the only difference was that this time the wheel shut of after the accident. so im only guessing what happened was that the fuse actually broke but the arch was so intense it actually melted the fuse back together, i might try to dissect the fuse tomorrow to get a better view.

It might not be easy to tell from the pictures but looking at it in real life you could tell that the sooth had been spewing out from the fuse, i cleaned and all other components looked fine, but i decided anyways that i will have a follow up check soon, to make sure the sooth is not comming back.

Just came home, carefully riding and not pushing the limits, and the wheel is working nominal.

And the main reason for the maintenance was becouse i could feel one of the batteries had become loose,(you could feel some wierd vibrations rocking the wheel back and forth) so i removed the old tape and added some new double sided tape. problem solved.

also all the salt has started to eat away the black paint from the motor shell, and im a little bit annoyed how the area around the shaft is looking (corrosion)
So i was thinking when i get a new wheel i can open up the motor to check the bearings, and clean it up really good.

Other than that the wheel is about 3000 km old and still feels like a boss :)

4 hours ago, Rob Valley said:

heres one more pic with the tape removed, sorry bout the quality ?

20180204_163757.jpg

The location of the green ‘Q.C. Passed’ label is interesting. ;)  I have never seen an  XL60 soldered directly to a CB. A lot of heat was generated in that region at one point. Any idea what a scaly white particles beneath the fuse might be? 

2 hours ago, Rehab1 said:

Any idea what a scaly white particles beneath the fuse might be? 

Yes,  this is actually the road salt, it was all around the CB, but i got most of it cleaned out, it would be really good at some point to really give it a good clean, i mean take the CB  out and split the whole shell to really get to the spots you cannot reach, becouse yea, this salt goes everywhere! :)

28 minutes ago, Rob Valley said:

Yes,  this is actually the road salt, it was all around the CB, but i got most of it cleaned out, it would be really good at some point to really give it a good clean, i mean take the CB  out and split the whole shell to really get to the spots you cannot reach, becouse yea, this salt goes everywhere! :)

Wow, are all KingSong wheels so poorly sealed from the elements? I've actually never opened (no reason to yet) any of my KingSong wheels, but assumed that they were sealed as well as my Gotway wheels. Every time I've opened a Gotway wheel it looks nice and clean (even though the outside can be covered in dirt.

1 hour ago, Marty Backe said:

Wow, are all KingSong wheels so poorly sealed from the elements? I've actually never opened (no reason to yet) any of my KingSong wheels, but assumed that they were sealed as well as my Gotway wheels. Every time I've opened a Gotway wheel it looks nice and clean (even though the outside can be covered in dirt.

The main board of my V8 is also fully covered in dust and dirt. Scary. Maybe that's the secret to reliability: let the dirt get in?

52 minutes ago, Mono said:

The main board of my V8 is also fully covered in dust and dirt. Scary. Maybe that's the secret to reliability: let the dirt get in?

:o

I thought the V8 board was in it's own enclosed housing within the wheel. I hadn't planned to open my wheel for a while but maybe I'd better take a look. No road salt around here but lots of abrasive sand.

28 minutes ago, WARPed1701D said:

:o

I thought the V8 board was in it's own enclosed housing within the wheel. I hadn't planned to open my wheel for a while but maybe I'd better take a look. No road salt around here but lots of abrasive sand.

Enclosed is a relative thing, apparently. The main board has its own cover but the cover has openings left and right. It couldn't be called dust tight by any reasonable definition of the word.

14 hours ago, Marty Backe said:

i would say it is sealed OK for most situations, dirt, water etc.

but when it comes to salt it goes between everything, even if there is no gap the salt will penetrate eventually, ofcourse some kind of sealant between the protective plate and the shell could help but eventually the salt would eat through this as well.

Anyways, I disected the fuse today and so it seems that the fail of the fuse failed, and the molten bridge had got stuck so there was still a connection!

this would be classified as a near miss incident, i was thinking of preventive actions today and i think ill drill a ~15mm hole next to the powerbutton, and install a transparent plastic "button" that we use for our IP44 rated lectrical connection boxes, this way i could easily inspect the health of the fuse without having to open everything up! 

20180205_142906.jpg

1 hour ago, EU GUY said:

This is why i dont ride in the winter :)

But if you do, at least you don't have to worry about corroding fuses - another advantage for Gotway wheels :)

20 minutes ago, Marty Backe said:

But if you do, at least you don't have to worry about corroding fuses - another advantage for Gotway wheels :)

you have this ability to show the benefits of gotways just at the right moments ;)

silencing all of the kingsong fans :D 

5 minutes ago, kasenutty said:

Remember that when you're replacing your motor connectors, Shado, and I'm replacing an easy plug and play fuse. 

That's so early-2017. Get with the times @kasenutty ;)

1 hour ago, yourtoys7 said:

wow, I guess kingsong is not as good/ safe as some make it to be. I'll stick to Gotway for not, Ninebot z10 may change that....

this could happen to any wheel, its more a failure of the fuse than the wheel, some googling could possibly bring up a failure rate for these kinds of fuses.

i would even say that becouse of Kingsongs tight controll on speedlimits my face dodged a plant, as i accept the limits and rearly push hard i have been able to ride on a semi operational fuse, probably a 15-20 amp load for a few seconds it would have gone bananas!

On 4.2.2018 at 11:52 PM, Marty Backe said:

? Has nothing todo with corrosion i would guess, more with a nearly failure of the fuse, short before blowing...

And nope, Kingsong wheels are indeed sealed very good. The boards are coated etc etc :-)

Perhaps you did not know how KS wheels look like, because you did not have the need to open yours until now, because it worked so well?

What was btw. the defect quote on all your GW‘s? 6 from 8 wheels have had some kind of failure? (on you or the next owner...)

:whistling:

Just kidding..... :-)

But to be serious...if you will -sometime- have a look in your KS14s.....even as a hardcore Gotway fan you will have to honor the much better quality.

2 hours ago, Marty Backe said:

That's so early-2017. Get with the times @kasenutty ;)

Yeah...to call out for melting motor wires is old stuff!

I would have used the battery design of the Mten3 ...or the motor wire cutting side plates of the Tesla ;-)

To get with the times......

Archived