Augus

42 minutes ago, Rob Valley said:

this could happen to any wheel, its more a failure of the fuse than the wheel, some googling could possibly bring up a failure rate for these kinds of fuses.

i would even say that becouse of Kingsongs tight controll on speedlimits my face dodged a plant, as i accept the limits and rearly push hard i have been able to ride on a semi operational fuse, probably a 15-20 amp load for a few seconds it would have gone bananas!

Ask Yourtoys about how safe his Gotway has been for him :D

• Replies 88
  • Created
  • Last Reply
6 minutes ago, KingSong69 said:

? Has nothing todo with corrosion i would guess, more with a nearly failure of the fuse, short before blowing...

And nope, Kingsong wheels are indeed sealed very good. The boards are coated etc etc :-)

Perhaps you did not know how KS wheels look like, because you did not have the need to open yours until now, because it worked so well?

What was btw. the defect quote on all your GW‘s? 6 from 8 wheels have had some kind of failure? (on you or the next owner...)

:whistling:

Just kidding..... :-)

But to be serious...if you will -sometime- have a look in your KS14s.....even as a hardcore Gotway fan you will have to honor the much better quality.

Some day I may open the 14S, but I'm in no hurry. I should say that there has been something rattling around inside the wheel ever since I got it. Loose screw maybe?

11 minutes ago, Marty Backe said:

Some day I may open the 14S, but I'm in no hurry. I should say that there has been something rattling around inside the wheel ever since I got it. Loose screw maybe?

i would guess just a cable/connector rattling against the shell? 

Open to find out.... :-)

26 minutes ago, KingSong69 said:

i would guess just a cable/connector rattling against the shell? 

Open to find out.... :-)

No, it rolls around inside the shell.

So in case I decide to accept your challenge, do I just remove all the visible screws on both sides of the shell. It's funny, because I've never opened a KingSong wheel I'm a little nervous about it. I know how Gotway screws can strip and break, so that's why I'm not excited about digging into a KingSong wheel.

52 minutes ago, Marty Backe said:

No, it rolls around inside the shell.

So in case I decide to accept your challenge, do I just remove all the visible screws on both sides of the shell. It's funny, because I've never opened a KingSong wheel I'm a little nervous about it. I know how Gotway screws can strip and break, so that's why I'm not excited about digging into a KingSong wheel.

Actually you have to unclip the led parts and remove the sidepads.

there are a lot of screws....but believe me, they are not that easy stripped as on a Gotway. If you really do so, i would advise for looking a video like this:

While this is a complete deconstruction video....you just dont need todo all parts of it....

Exact same on the 14S....

5 minutes ago, KingSong69 said:

there are a lot of screws....but believe me, they are not that easy stripped as on a Gotway. If you really do so, i would advise for looking a video like this:

While this is a complete deconstruction...you just dont need all parts of it....

Thanks @KingSong69. I'm going to watch the video and add it to my references.

I'm in the middle of taking my Monster 100-percent apart so that I can fix the axle shims. What joy. When I get over that experience I'll open the KS14S.

3 hours ago, KingSong69 said:

While this is a complete deconstruction...you just dont need all parts of it....

From a lover of Gotway wheels, this video is very depressing. I don't think I need to say more :crying:

10 hours ago, kasenutty said:

Sorry about not using their most recent failures for my joke guys :P

Don't apologise - some jokes are timeless! 

Like slipping on a banana peel, or melting down a Gotway... 

12 hours ago, Marty Backe said:

From a lover of Gotway wheels, this video is very depressing. I don't think I need to say more :crying:

I get what you mean!

All People which think that the huge Quality difference of a GW to a KS wheel is just a fairy tale....they never had a look into both.

13 hours ago, Marty Backe said:

From an mechanical engineers perspective, this is easy peasy lemon squeezy :efee6b18f3:

Marty you have such a nice workshop, and i bet good tools, should not be so hard for you ;)

I do recommend getting new self threading screws if you plan to start opening up regularly, after a few times the heads start to slip, and thats just annoying!

1 hour ago, Rob Valley said:

From an mechanical engineers perspective, this is easy peasy lemon squeezy :efee6b18f3:

Marty you have such a nice workshop, and i bet good tools, should not be so hard for you ;)

I do recommend getting new self threading screws if you plan to start opening up regularly, after a few times the heads start to slip, and thats just annoying!

Yeah, I know it's not hard. But there's always a bit of hesitation with the unknown plus the risk of damaging some screws or connectors because these wheels aren't really designed to be opened, IMO.

2 hours ago, KingSong69 said:

I get what you mean!

All People which think that the huge Quality difference of a GW to a KS wheel is just a fairy tale....they never had a look into both.

Very impressed with everything I saw. Mechanical systems to restrain the battery vs Gotway's double-sided tape. No silicon goop spread over the connectors. I could obviously go on-and-on :(

It's hard to believe that if Gotway has ever seen the inside of a new KingSong wheel they would not redesign how their wheels are assembled. Yet apparently they've never seen a KingSong wheel or don't care :confused1:

Yet it's also hard to believe that KingSong doesn't design better (performance & range) wheels after seeing what Gotway produces. Both of these companies need to better compete against each other and we the customers will really benefit.

37 minutes ago, Marty Backe said:

It's hard to believe that if Gotway has ever seen the inside of a new KingSong wheel they would not redesign how their wheels are assembled. Yet apparently they've never seen a KingSong wheel or don't care :confused1:

Yet it's also hard to believe that KingSong doesn't design better (performance & range) wheels after seeing what Gotway produces. Both of these companies need to better compete against each other and we the customers will really benefit.

The inside of the Inmotion V8 is as well laid out as a computer. It has a heatsink inside the side of the wheel well that vents heat from the board on the other side of the sink to the air circulating thru the wheel well. Genius! The control board cover is well designed looking and the connectors for the three wire motor connectors are very easy to install and take off for tire/motor maintenance.

Inmotion needs Kingsong and Gotway to spur on their speed and range capabilities. Hopefully the V10 will be lessons learned and a few to be taught

and Marty you are the only one who thinks Kingsong has less range than Gotway. That 100kg guy with a 840wh ks18s still got 22 miles in slippery mud riding and he started with 80% power. 

16 minutes ago, Stan Onymous said:

The control board cover is well designed looking and the connectors for the three wire motor connectors are very easy to install and take off for tire/motor maintenance.

I am puzzled ;) To disconnect the motor from the main board on the V8, we have to remove the main board cover and unplug several rather sticky connectors plugged directly onto the main board. That is in my world of engineering pretty bad design. The main board cover is not even remotely dust-tight and its mounting is mechanically weak (on mine, one mount point broke).

33 minutes ago, Stan Onymous said:

The inside of the Inmotion V8 is as well laid out as a computer. It has a heatsink inside the side of the wheel well that vents heat from the board on the other side of the sink to the air circulating thru the wheel well. Genius! The control board cover is well designed looking and the connectors for the three wire motor connectors are very easy to install and take off for tire/motor maintenance.

Inmotion needs Kingsong and Gotway to spur on their speed and range capabilities. Hopefully the V10 will be lessons learned and a few to be taught

and Marty you are the only one who thinks Kingsong has less range than Gotway. That 100kg guy with a 840wh ks18s still got 22 miles in slippery mud riding and he started with 80% power. 

Where's the 16-inch KingSong wheel that can go 50 to 60 miles. Where's the KingSong 22-inch wheel that can go upwards of 100-miles? Where's the small form-factor KingSong wheel (18L - the more direct competitor to the MSuper) that can go 50 to 60 miles?

This is why I make the generalized statement that Gotway produces longer range wheels. I didn't think this was controversial.

6 minutes ago, Mono said:

The main board cover is not even remotely dust-tight and its mounting is mechanically weak (on mine, one mount point broke).

That cover has a rubber gasket that fits snugly to 90% of the perimeter. The 10% not well fitted goes over the wires leading to the batteries and the wires leading to the motor. Its dust resistant, not dust proof, but it does provide a second or third layer of dust protection.

As for the motor wire connectors, they are the simplest and easiest connectors invented. They are placed at an angle to fit under the cover and make them harder to be removed by accident. What is so confusing about simply pulling a blade slide connector? No mini plastic locks on wire connectors to figure out, or screws to undo. Kingsongs connector is a good design, but clunky to fit under its cover, which is the vented top shell.

7 minutes ago, Marty Backe said:

Where's the 16-inch KingSong wheel that can go 50 to 60 miles. Where's the KingSong 22-inch wheel that can go upwards of 100-miles? Where's the small form-factor KingSong wheel (18L - the more direct competitor to the MSuper) that can go 50 to 60 miles?

First off, how did you put that type in bold?

The ks14c has given me 50+ miles on an 840wh battery. Two days no recharging. I would think the KS16s 840wh could do similar, and maybe you could ask sidestreet about his range on his old ks16.

As for the 22" wheel, I may be a cynic, but I think its a gimmick to allow for more space to fit in batteries. It is not a ride feel centric decision. A larger wheel does not necessarily offer more safety at higher speeds. Certain bumps can act as ramps for the larger wheels. They do absorb potholes better, but launch more than the smaller wheels on certain uneven pavement cracks on the road. Its a signifigant trade off from the 16"

My KS18s performed better than the 18" Msuper with the 1600wh battery. Your question should be when will an 18" Msuper get 50 miles without warning beeps for the last 5 miles. There are plenty of heavier people than me or you on this forum that are getting those ranges from their Kingsongs.

30 minutes ago, Stan Onymous said:

As for the motor wire connectors, they are the simplest and easiest connectors invented. They are placed at an angle to fit under the cover and make them harder to be removed by accident. What is so confusing about simply pulling a blade slide connector? No mini plastic locks on wire connectors to figure out, or screws to undo.

I get the impression you never disconnected the motor of the V8 from the main board or you have a different model than I do. On my V8 and on the vids I have seen there is a fourth connector (the white one in the picture) with a plastic lock that one has to unlock to free the motor from the board. I am not confused about the connectors, I just don't like to uncover (also 4 screws) and apply a comparatively strong force directly to the main board to pull these connectors. It's just bad design that one needs to do this to separate the wheel from the shell. It's not a deal breaker and I agree that the power connectors are well secured from getting unplugged unintentionally. That's something.

5a7b3a8fe2095_ScreenShot2018-02-07at18_38_44.png.43d3022fb92a2f50416e2712ac7cbc31.png

I found it difficult the first time. You are correct. But I did to them what I do to my blade fuse connectors on my car. I loosened it by prying it open a bit with a plastic tool. Voila. B)

if they are too loose, you can always pinch them together to easily tighten again. Easy to clean when I had to replace my motor too. Qtip and some alcohol.

That one screw over the wires leading to the battery is stripped, but I keep it in place with some foam cushioned tape that squeezes into that area and keeps those wires in place. That could be a better design and the battery screws are ridiculous.  

4 hours ago, Stan Onymous said:

First off, how did you put that type in bold?

The ks14c has given me 50+ miles on an 840wh battery. Two days no recharging. I would think the KS16s 840wh could do similar, and maybe you could ask sidestreet about his range on his old ks16.

As for the 22" wheel, I may be a cynic, but I think its a gimmick to allow for more space to fit in batteries. It is not a ride feel centric decision. A larger wheel does not necessarily offer more safety at higher speeds. Certain bumps can act as ramps for the larger wheels. They do absorb potholes better, but launch more than the smaller wheels on certain uneven pavement cracks on the road. Its a signifigant trade off from the 16"

My KS18s performed better than the 18" Msuper with the 1600wh battery. Your question should be when will an 18" Msuper get 50 miles without warning beeps for the last 5 miles. There are plenty of heavier people than me or you on this forum that are getting those ranges from their Kingsongs.

Everything that I write Is relative to my riding weight. I believe nearly everyone reading this understands that Gotway generally makes more long range wheels than KingSong.

Whether you like the Monster or think it's a gimmick is irrelevant to my point expressed in the preceding paragraph.

7 hours ago, Marty Backe said:

This is why I make the generalized statement that Gotway produces longer range wheels. I didn't think this was controversial.

You are correct about Gotway having more long range wheels. It was not generalized though and it is funny that you claim that now. 

You have the "Gotways" :efee612b4b: Got way too much pride in them. Got way too critical of any other manufacturer. Got way too many of them. :efee47c9c8:

You actually said this...

Kingsongs have Fantastic performance and their safety record for their wheels is very good. There really is no need for them to compete with one another when the market is so immature. They need to find the sweet spot for the buyers, and that has not happened yet. Jason told me that when he was over there they dont even know what the other manufacturer is putting out as far as product, and werent even interested when given the chance.

Your statement inferred that Kingsong doesnt make long range wheels. They do, and they have for a while. It could also be asked why Gotway has insisted on being the heaviest wheel in most wheel sizes. Both of these manufacturers have different rides and ride feels. We benefit when they explore their own paths and give us a variety of manufacturers with a variety of products. There is no perfect wheel yet, or maybe ever. Thats my bar right now. These manufacturers are trying in their own ways to our benefit. 

I understand you think Kingsong is nothing more than a slower, lighter Gotway with quadrophonic speakers and nifty lights, and they dont make a motorcycle substitute. Okay granted, but to say that they arent a performance wheel with tons of range is a bit of a stretch.

35 minutes ago, Stan Onymous said:

You are correct about Gotway having more long range wheels. It was not generalized though and it is funny that you claim that now. 

You have the "Gotways" :efee612b4b: Got way too much pride in them. Got way too critical of any other manufacturer. Got way too many of them. :efee47c9c8:

You actually said this...

Kingsongs have Fantastic performance and their safety record for their wheels is very good. There really is no need for them to compete with one another when the market is so immature. They need to find the sweet spot for the buyers, and that has not happened yet. Jason told me that when he was over there they dont even know what the other manufacturer is putting out as far as product, and werent even interested when given the chance.

Your statement inferred that Kingsong doesnt make long range wheels. They do, and they have for a while. It could also be asked why Gotway has insisted on being the heaviest wheel in most wheel sizes. Both of these manufacturers have different rides and ride feels. We benefit when they explore their own paths and give us a variety of manufacturers with a variety of products. There is no perfect wheel yet, or maybe ever. Thats my bar right now. These manufacturers are trying in their own ways to our benefit. 

I understand you think Kingsong is nothing more than a slower, lighter Gotway with quadrophonic speakers and nifty lights, and they dont make a motorcycle substitute. Okay granted, but to say that they arent a performance wheel with tons of range is a bit of a stretch.

The KS18S and KS14S are the only wheels that can compete with Gotway in performance and range, and the KS18S only after riding it for 1000km. The MSuper is more powerful than the KS18S IMHO, owing to the 84-volt power drive.

The KS16S really is nothing when compared to the ACM or Tesla. Sure, it's high performance when compared to a Ninebot.

The Monster is one of the most amazing wheels ever made. Thank God that Gotway decided to make it because KingSong will probably never attempt to compete in the 22-inch market.

We will probably always disagree, but maybe anyone else reading this will get something out of the discussion (buy Gotway to satisfy your testosterone urges :D)

Archived