Jump to content

The Monster - One Hell Of A Wheel For Wind Riding


Marty Backe
 Share

Recommended Posts

Hi Marty,

Beautiful scenery & a cool looking guy !

I agree with you, the Monster is so stable that it's not bothered by the wind like other EUCs, I had my training 14 inch wheel TG3 the other day, just for a very short trip, the little breeze was enough so that I had to compensate by turning my shoulders to counter the wind's effect.

On the other hand, the Monster, even with the +115kph winds we had here in France from the passing storms, weren't enough to put the Monster down, even though it was still a challenge to ride in these conditions. Skills may help you to ride any wheels in any conditions, but not with the same pleasure :D

 

  • Like 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 minute ago, Pingouin said:

Hi Marty,

Beautiful scenery & a cool looking guy !

I agree with you, the Monster is so stable that it's not bothered by the wind like other EUCs, I had my training 14 inch wheel TG3 the other day, just for a very short trip, the little breeze was enough so that I had to compensate by turning my shoulders to counter the wind's effect.

On the other hand, the Monster, even with the +115kph winds we had here in France from the passing storms, weren't enough to put the Monster down, even though it was still a challenge to ride in these conditions. Skills may help you to ride any wheels in any conditions, but not with the same pleasure :D

 

Absolutely. Although I was buffeted around with the strong gusts it was still a pleasant ride.

115kph winds? Yikes :o :cry2:

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Nice pic! :thumbup:

Out of interest do you think the KS18 with it's taller shell like the monster might have also handled the wind well? If not what do you think is it about the monster that made it so stable? Wheel size? Huge weight (you have the 70lb model right?) 

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

16 minutes ago, WARPed1701D said:

Nice pic! :thumbup:

Out of interest do you think the KS18 with it's taller shell like the monster might have also handled the wind well? If not what do you think is it about the monster that made it so stable? Wheel size? Huge weight (you have the 70lb model right?) 

Thanks :D

I do not believe that the KS18S would be any different than my MSuper - not good in strong winds.

I think it's the weight, ~70 pounds. It's substantially heavier than any other wheel.

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

8 minutes ago, Scouts Honor said:

I'd imagine sitting on a KS18s would cut through the wind pretty well.

I really doubt it, but if you speak from experience than I can't argue.

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

3 hours ago, Marty Backe said:

Thanks :D

I do not believe that the KS18S would be any different than my MSuper - not good in strong winds.

I think it's the weight, ~70 pounds. It's substantially heavier than any other wheel.

I would agree the weight would give the advantage.

The V8 certainly is a struggle in the gusty wind along the Bayside paths here. As already mentioned it requires twisting of shoulders to maintain balance for some reason. You learn to appreciate just how much harder the EUC has to work at higher wind speeds. 

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 hours ago, Rehab1 said:

Purely an observation on my part but when you turned your head slightly in the photo there appears to be some strange interaction with the helmet and prevailing winds causing a significant aerodynamic disruption. 

25935469818_7e91aff8b4_b.jpg

 

You always crack me up :laughbounce2:

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

7 hours ago, Pingouin said:

@Marty Backe It's hard to ride in heavy wind but still possible with this beast !

Oh BTW, here is a modified picture that suits better the tough guy on the picture !

2b0t9WO.jpg

Wow, I must say, this is a very cool picture. I may just slap it in my Facebook feed :D

:cheers:

  • Like 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

 Share

×
×
  • Create New...