KS14M (800W / 174WH)

houseofjob

KS14M

• 800W
  • 174WH, upgradeable to 348WH AFAICS
  • 20 km/h, goes up to 30 km/h with 2 batteries

So this new KS14M model seems to replace the old KS14B (quick swappable batteries).

Looks like unfortunately they couldn't implement a way to once again make this model quick-swappable battery-wise, so this model seems to be targeted as a cheap price point wheel / travel wheel.

Baidu KS14M post

TaoBao Product pages: 1 / 2

Edited by houseofjob
  • Like 1
  • Upvote 2

11 minutes ago, houseofjob said:

Looks like unfortunately they couldn't implement a way to once again make this model quick-swappable battery-wise, so this model seems to be targeted as a cheap price point wheel / travel wheel.

Hopefully they implemented an axle upgrade.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

Tarrgeted to be the successor of 14B.
Basically, it's 14D with no LED strips and with only 1P battery config. Can be upgraded to 14D by reflashing firmware and adding battery and LED's.

@Rehab1 It has no sense with 1P battery - it's incompatible with heavy weight riders :D

Teardown by @EcoDrift here

Edited by WaveCut
  • Like 2
  • Upvote 1

54 minutes ago, WaveCut said:

Tarrgeted to be the successor of 14B.
Basically, it's 14D with no LED strips and with only 1P battery config. Can be upgraded to 14D by reflashing firmware and adding battery and LED's.

@Rehab1 It has no sense with 1P battery - it's incompatible with heavy weight riders :D

Teardown by @EcoDrift here

its really nice to see how much the quality of board and wireing has stepped up in the latest KS models!

I really hope they adresss this wheel to the youth and lighter weight riders! a 1P battery pack has only a capability of max 10Amp continuos, perhaps 15 Amp very short peek. 

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, Rehab1 said:

Hopefully they implemented an axle upgrade.

As Wavecut says, its adressed to lighter weight riders.

But nonetheless the axle has been upgrade on the newer 14inch models (since 14d), since 16s, and since 18S (or 18AY, dont know exactly)

That was unexpected!

Not sure what to think of this. But 20km/h and 1P is basically unusable unless it's for kids and you don't like them particularly much:efee8319ab: Or maybe light Asians with no speed concerns?

Unless the price is really good, I guess it's neat that another option exists, but to me it's a typical case of "why not pay ~200-300 more for a much, much better wheel" (doubled battery) that plagues the lower tier models.

Aka (U.S. prices):

• 14M 500??? or more (don't think it will be less) - 20km/h, 174Wh 1P (that's a borderline safety hazard)
    edit: he says 25000 rubels which would be about $450, but not sure if Russian and Western prices are similar
  • 14D $770 - 28km/h, 420Wh 2P
  • 14S ca. $1000 - 30km/h, 840Wh 4P

I don't know at what price I'd actually go for the 14M. But it would probably lower than they will (and can) make it.

Good to see that manufacturers get that a lower priced entry model is important (basically a modern Ninebot replacement), but it also shows how hard it is to make a decent lower-priced EUC with a competitive ratio of price/what-you-get.

At least there's a cheaper, modern wheel now (vs. older generation models you had to go for before the 14M, like Ninebots). Might be enough for plenty people?

Edited by meepmeepmayer
  • Like 1

7 hours ago, WaveCut said:

Also, forgot to mention earlier, M version lacks speakers.

So there's no "Hello King Song" going on then? :o

Does that mean it just beeps? 

Edited by The Fat Unicyclist
  • Upvote 1

I've read somewhere that it's (among other things) intended for the indian market, as @meepmeepmayer mentioned above. That would be a pretty huge market, but with strict price requirements. 

Xiaomi is doing something similar with their "average level" Smartphone Xiaomi Mi A1 - it's a pretty well build and cheap Smartphone (approx $200), which is affordable for the (indian) masses. 

I'm not sure about 800W motor.

Specification of KS14M from producer:

Material: ABS+PC
Battery: 174wh ( Original Top Quality Lithum battery ) Charging time: around 45 mins
Mileage:around 15-18 km
DC charger:Input: AC 80~240 V, Output: 67.2V、2A
Top speed:20 km/h
Rated Power: 500W
Maximum Power: 1500W
Maximum loading: 120kg
Maximum Gradibility: Around 28°
Machine Size:475(H) x 437(L) X 400mm((Thickness)
Color:White/Black

Edited by KS Poland
  • Like 1
  • Upvote 2

4 hours ago, WaveCut said:

@KS Poland It may be limited by 1P battery

Good point!:thumbup:

800W/67.2V = 11.9A which is too much for 1P. And these motors are only 800 nominal and like 1200+ max which is impossible then.

500W/67.2V = 7.44A nominal, which is much better.

That explains it.

Edited by meepmeepmayer
spelling

On January 21, 2018 at 3:09 AM, KS Poland said:

I'm not sure about 800W motor.

Specification of KS14M from producer:

Material: ABS+PC
Battery: 174wh ( Original Top Quality Lithum battery ) Charging time: around 45 mins
Mileage:around 15-18 km
DC charger:Input: AC 80~240 V, Output: 67.2V、2A
Top speed:20 km/h
Rated Power: 500W
Maximum Power: 1500W
Maximum loading: 120kg
Maximum Gradibility: Around 28°
Machine Size:475(H) x 437(L) X 400mm((Thickness)
Color:White/Black

These are great Specs for a beginner wheel. The KS14B was 500w with a  removable 148wh  or a 174 wh battery and able to do 27kph for short periods before cutting out at top speed. It was a great travel wheel or starter wheel ridden at 20-25kph. Has more than enough torque to get up any hill and has a quick acceleration.

This model will be priced around $500 and for the beginner, it has exactly what I wanted. Something that could be upgradable later, and not break the bank today. If your first bike cost you $1000 when you started, I think you wouldve thought it too much as well. People are already risking their idea of risk regarding health and injuries and dont want to pile on the added risk of wasted value as well.

This model allows the beginner to quickly upgrade, as soon as they have enough experience and another paycheck in the bank, to a very capable wheel indeed. Its a great springboard unicycle for those who dont mind cracking a case at a future date for upgrades. Sure, no 800w motor, but no overheating either. My 500w ks14c goes everywhere my 800w goes, just a couple of kph slower.

One of the things that kept me from getting the Ks14b as a first wheel was its removable battery and claims to be a travel wheel. You rarely get two products for the price of one cheap one. In hindsight, it has been far more capable than my Ninebot 1a1 which had a battery failure within two weeks. I got a V5F after the ninebot, but had I gotten a ks14m, I wonder if I ever wouldve gotten the V5F knowing I could upgrade to a wheel with more range in the 14M. If you think back to your first wheel and what you thought you wanted, this KS14M looks like a winner.

• Like 2

12 minutes ago, Jason McNeil said:

This project goes back a couple months ago when we were trying to get some concessions on the 14D. My argument to King Song at the time was that we needed to make the 14D more price attractive to first time buyers, since there's a >35% likelihood of these Customers purchasing another (more expensive) Wheel within six months of first acquisition.

Our criteria of an entry level Wheel is that the purchaser must feel like he/she is getting exceptional value relative to the other Wheels that are on the market. With the 800W motor, 30kph, 420Wh, super reliable board, & all the extras, the 14D stands out among the similar 14" Wheels like the V5F+. 

When KS responded with the initial spec of the 14M, I wasn't overly impressed. There's no arguing with the price (under $500 retail), but the performance limitations of a 16 cell Wheel, without many of the compelling features like the speakers or LEDs, would reduce the overall attractiveness of the product.

For me anyways, I'd prefer to sell the 14D for slightly less as the eWheels.com entry level Wheel, since it is accompanied by a lower cut-out risk & greater Customer experience of the brand. If someone is looking to limit their budget to $500, there's plenty of Airwheels, Swagrollers, C+s & generics out there.  

Maybe for the first batch the Russian's received, KS had some surplus 800W motors, but the regular 14Ms will be fitted with older generation 500W motors. 

The KS14D looks like a very good wheel for the price, better specs than Ninebot one E+, bigger battery, higher speed, built in trolley handle standard, the bluetooth speakers.  Lower price than what the E+ cost a year or so ago.  I thought about it as an upgrade for my E+, even though the tire is a little smaller, in every other way it seems to have more of everything.

• Like 3

• 4 months later...

Hi

I got the KingSong 14M, 2 weeks ago and mine says in the wheel 800W with 174wh battery.

I am thinking in adding in the future another 174wh battery pack, for safety reason in case the first battery pack shuts down because a malfunction or a too high load. After this it should be close to a KS-14D but cheaper.  

On 1/29/2018 at 1:12 AM, Jason McNeil said:

This project goes back a couple months ago when we were trying to get some concessions on the 14D. My argument to King Song at the time was that we needed to make the 14D more price attractive to first time buyers, since there's a >35% likelihood of these Customers purchasing another (more expensive) Wheel within six months of first acquisition.

Our criteria of an entry level Wheel is that the purchaser must feel like he/she is getting exceptional value relative to the other Wheels that are on the market. With the 800W motor, 30kph, 420Wh, super reliable board, & all the extras, the 14D stands out among the similar 14" Wheels like the V5F+. 

When KS responded with the initial spec of the 14M, I wasn't overly impressed. There's no arguing with the price (under $500 retail), but the performance limitations of a 16 cell Wheel, without many of the compelling features like the speakers or LEDs, would reduce the overall attractiveness of the product.

For me anyways, I'd prefer to sell the 14D for slightly less as the eWheels.com entry level Wheel, since it is accompanied by a lower cut-out risk & greater Customer experience of the brand. If someone is looking to limit their budget to $500, as @meepmeepmayer pointed out above, there's plenty of Airwheels, Swagrollers, C+s & generics out there.  

Maybe for the first batch the Russian's received, KS had some surplus 800W motors, but the regular 14Ms will be fitted with older generation 500W motors. 

Or they could pick the v5f for 550$ on your website ?. Beats the ks14M easily for value.

On 6/22/2018 at 8:33 PM, em1barns said:

Or they could pick the v5f for 550$ on your website ?. Beats the ks14M easily for value.

I am tempted to agree with you, if you can get the v5f for 550$

In the UK the prices are very different, almost £600 for v5f but £450 for the ks14M.

• Like 1

• 1 month later...
On 6/22/2018 at 4:58 PM, Pedro said:

Hi

I got the KingSong 14M, 2 weeks ago and mine says in the wheel 800W with 174wh battery.

I am thinking in adding in the future another 174wh battery pack, for safety reason in case the first battery pack shuts down because a malfunction or a too high load. After this it should be close to a KS-14D but cheaper.  

Can you increase the top speed to 30km/h with an extra 174wh battery and if so where can I get a spare battery in the EU?

I have an slowly dying 9bot C+ and can’t afford a real upgrade so it’s either new batteries for it or this with a battery upgrade later.

You can get a spare battery on 1Radwerkstatt. I too have a KS14M and I am thinking to get a second battery. Can someone help me to understnd if I need to install the 14d firmware to get to 30kmh or if I install the second battery it will automatically increase the top speed? If so could someone sharee the instruction on how to get the 14d firmware and how to flash it too?

• Upvote 1

On 8/12/2018 at 10:57 AM, Viktiga said:

Can you increase the top speed to 30km/h with an extra 174wh battery and if so where can I get a spare battery in the EU?

2 hours ago, Luk667 said:

You can get a spare battery on 1Radwerkstatt. I too have a KS14M and I am thinking to get a second battery. Can someone help me to understnd if I need to install the 14d firmware to get to 30kmh or if I install the second battery it will automatically increase the top speed? If so could someone sharee the instruction on how to get the 14d firmware and how to flash it too?

You need to flash the firmware of 14D on ks14m. With just one battery and the 14D firmware I can barely get 25km/h.
You need to use 14Dv1.07 or before, on v1.08 and later kingsong start to check for the serial number on the wheel.

There is a tool to change the serial number, but if you change the serial number I believe the wheel gets recognise has ks14D by the app, and I am not sure if you need or not to change the firmware manually.

Note, that there are 2 version of the KS-14M wheel, and the way to update are different. 
I was able to get a cheap battery for my KS, just need to solder the right connector to it. 

I am just giving some information that I found on the internet, I am not the creator neither responsibility for nothing that happens to you. 

Instructions at: https://electrotransport.ru/ussr/index.php?topic=51391.180#topmsg
you can use the translator for that 

Check first if you have the KS-14M or KS-14SMD. The instruction are for the first one, if you have the second version it will (may) brick the wheel.

Edited by Pedro