Protection Gear

So like, I was only using elbow pads and gloves when I was on my ACM 16. Yea, I took a few spills and one time hurt my knee... so now that I have the MSuper V3, I decided to start wearing the knee pads too. I feel like it's a bit much and I look a little ridiculous, but I feel safer while riding this monster of a vehicle where I can hit 30mph if I tried.

I went out on one ride once, and there were people who wore NO protection gear at all. Do people usually wear some, and do you only wear it when you go long distances?

6 hours ago, NECway said:

Some people start wearing protective gear only after they got hurt.

Most people...

I wear now full face helmet, full bike jacket, gloves and knee/ sheen pads (hidden under pants).

For the most part I feel protected.

I regard any fall as incurring injury, the protection just increases the speed at which I incur the same injury. However, beyond a certain speed one gets injured no matter what, as motorcycle crash statistics bear out.

On my Ninebot S1, which I use for 90% of my trips, I usually wear a skateboard helmet and nothing else. On my KS16s and MSuper 1600 I'll wear a full face sport bike helmet, massive gloves, and occasionally armoured jeans. Or a full heavily armored motorcycle suit (way beyond anything I've seen forum members here wear), as in ready to race motorcycle gear.

Pick your speed, then pick your gear.

10 hours ago, yourtoys7 said:

Most people...

I wear now full face helmet, full bike jacket, gloves and knee/ sheen pads (hidden under pants).

For the most part I feel protected.

So your pants will get fucked up, but not your knees...

What do you use for the knees? Amazon link?

So new question... I've been riding my new MSuper V3 for a couple days now. I'm not used to the 18" wheel from the ACM 16 I was using before. I can't get myself to go very fast, because I'm just not used to it (or I'm scared?). My feet hurt a lot because I'm not trusting it (thus clenching)..

It seems I have to get used to the "wobble" this thing seems to give at higher speeds..how do you deal with that?

This is me with all of my protection gear. I feel very safe at the 25-mph speeds that I ride at sometimes.

If I were limited to two items they would be my wrist guards and knee pads. The knees are the first body part to slam into the ground during a crash (I speak from experience). I've fallen with and without knee pads. Without was not pretty.

28024071659_47cc9384f2_b.jpg

On 1/19/2018 at 11:50 PM, Mushuukyou said:

So your pants will get fucked up, but not your knees...

What do you use for the knees? Amazon link?

If and when I fall, sure my pants will take damage, but the rest of 99% I dont look covered in plastic.

https://fortnine.ca/en/shift-enforcer-knee-shin-guard they fit excellent and not visible at all.

4 hours ago, NECway said:

Those are great in cooler temperatures, but it would look ridicules with shorts.

Agree, they are not for shorts use, I always wear loose pants, jeans when its cooler, so I dont have an issue. I just prefer to hide gear as much as possible.

6 hours ago, yourtoys7 said:

Agree, they are not for shorts use, I always wear loose pants, jeans when its cooler, so I dont have an issue. I just prefer to hide gear as much as possible.

Oh, you put those under your jeans? Hrm.. found them on Amazon. I'll check them out. Looks like they're $20.

Edit: People on Amazon are complaining that the top doesn't have a strap, and they slide down into their boots...

https://www.amazon.com/Shift-Racing-Enforcer-Motocross-Motorcycle/dp/B005M16QY6/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1516578982&sr=8-1&keywords=Shift+Enforcer

6 hours ago, yourtoys7 said:
11 hours ago, NECway said:

Those are great in cooler temperatures, but it would look ridicules with shorts.

Agree, they are not for shorts use,

Ha, I'm pretty sure I've worn these with shorts at some point. Given how ridiculous I look overall (all geared-up and hi-viz), I don't think anyone noticed...

24 minutes ago, Mushuukyou said:

People on Amazon are complaining that the top doesn't have a strap, and they slide down into their boots...

I have had issue with these sliding UP, but they don't slide at all if tucked into my boots. ;)

On 20 January 2018 at 10:02 PM, Marty Backe said:

The knees are the first body part to slam into the ground during a crash (I speak from experience)

I'm glad you said that.  I've been leaving my knee pads at home because it's such a pain to pull them over trousers, if your not wearing loose fit trousers.  And if you're wearing lace up foot wear, it's an extra hassle when you get where you're going to get it all off again, of sit for hours wearing knee pads and often sweating too.  Recently we discussed just velcroing them over the outside, so Ive been wearing them more. Then got Into the "but will they slide around in a crash" debate.  BUT, you've reminded me that it's worth it. So thanks for that.  

I once took a lot of skin off both knees in an aborted powered paraglider take off.  That was no fun for weeks.  Knee scabs don't like to bend but knees  need to bend.Ouch!

Apparently difference people falls different ways.  For me the palms/wrists are the first body parts to slam the ground.  Other body parts may be abraded or rolled over, but typically only my palms/wrists hit hard; everything else is a (relatively) minor impact or abrasion.

14 hours ago, Smoother said:

I'm glad you said that.  I've been leaving my knee pads at home because it's such a pain to pull them over trousers, if your not wearing loose fit trousers.  And if you're wearing lace up foot wear, it's an extra hassle when you get where you're going to get it all off again, of sit for hours wearing knee pads and often sweating too.  Recently we discussed just velcroing them over the outside, so Ive been wearing them more. Then got Into the "but will they slide around in a crash" debate.  BUT, you've reminded me that it's worth it. So thanks for that.  

I once took a lot of skin off both knees in an aborted powered paraglider take off.  That was no fun for weeks.  Knee scabs don't like to bend but knees  need to bend.Ouch!

First knee pads that I use were a bit of a pain to put on. I got myself those:

https://www.aliexpress.com/item/2013-new-Tactical-paintball-protection-knee-pads-elbow-pads-set-Free-shipping/32703515409.html

and they are very quick to put on and take off. I can't say how  well they will protect you since so far I have not fallen with knee pads on, it is always when I don't put them on :(

18 hours ago, Mushuukyou said:

Oh, you put those under your jeans? Hrm.. found them on Amazon. I'll check them out. Looks like they're $20.

Edit: People on Amazon are complaining that the top doesn't have a strap, and they slide down into their boots...

https://www.amazon.com/Shift-Racing-Enforcer-Motocross-Motorcycle/dp/B005M16QY6/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1516578982&sr=8-1&keywords=Shift+Enforcer

I have not had any issues with them and i did take one big fall wearing all my gear, pants too a beating, but my knees were protected. I personally just prefer to hide  my gear where/ when I can. They are amazing protection for the price.

Falling is one thing, you tend to have a bit of control on where and how you end up, I have had 2 power offs at full Kingsong speed, 18 MPH not much fun when the last thing you hear is please decelerate, anyway, Wrists took the worst, Knees next, one with no helmet took me to hospital with a bad head, one with skateboard helmet took my front tooth out, very expensive to get a new one. Personally even at slow speed I would not ride without wrist Guards.

I love the looks of Marty Backe's helmet, not sure what it is called but it looks sensible, 

i dont care too much about how i look.

I care about how i WILL look

I wear knee pads, elbow pads, wristguards and a cross helmet

with a powerfull wheel under my feet like the tesla. I better be ready for what can happen

and the extra 2 minutes it takes to take my gear on

is well worth it compared to the hours i could spend in pain or even in an emergency room..-_-

7 hours ago, LGJ said:

Falling is one thing, you tend to have a bit of control on where and how you end up, I have had 2 power offs at full Kingsong speed, 18 MPH not much fun when the last thing you hear is please decelerate, anyway, Wrists took the worst, Knees next, one with no helmet took me to hospital with a bad head, one with skateboard helmet took my front tooth out, very expensive to get a new one. Personally even at slow speed I would not ride without wrist Guards.

I love the looks of Marty Backe's helmet, not sure what it is called but it looks sensible, 

Scorpion Covert

Archived