A One in a Thousand Event

Smoother

Just the Facts M'am:

My KS14c is in pieces waiting for me to jury rig a new axle into it. 

I pulled the bearings out of the motor shells because grit had got into them from a previous incident that damaged the dust seals

I bought a cheap Mazda MX5 (Miata) last spring as a summer run-around car.

When I bought the car the Internet experts convinced me a certain bearing in the gearbox was wearing out

Further research proved that the bearing was fine, but I had already ordered the bearing, but it was cheap enough to not bother sending back

After looking for this surplus bearing for a few days, on a hunch, I just found it, and guess what?

It's THE EXACT SAME SIZE OF THE BEARINGS IN MY KS14C !!!

I don't mean close, I mean exactly the same in every dimension I measured it with digital calipers.

Of all the thousands of possible bearing combinations, what were the chances of that?  Oh yeah, my hunch was that bearing I saw briefly 9 months ago then lost in a draw, looked remarkably similar to the ones in my wheel.  I guess they are an industry standard for EUCs  (GUESS, not known fact)

If you want to replace your wheel bearings, here is the part:

SKF Explorer 6202--2Z/C3 although there are many options.  The C3 has a slightly greater gap around the ball bearings to allow for heat expansion.  But I can't feel any extra play relative to the bearings I pulled out.

Here is the official size, if you want to explore other manufacturers.  The average cost for SKF is between £3 and £4.

15x35x11mm 15mm hole, 35mm diameter, 11mm width

EDIT. I decided to pony up for two slightly different bearing which have better seals against moisture and dust etc. It was the right thing to do.

2 x SKF 62022RSH Rubber Sealed Deep Groove Ball Bearing 15x35x11mm  £8.58 plus VAT @20% .

22 minutes ago, Smoother said:

My KS14c is in pieces waiting for me to jury rig a new axle into it. 

If you lived closer I would send you my wife’s old ( slightly waterlogged) KS14C. I’m sure the axle is fine, the shells, pedals and tire are new (2 hours TT).

2 hours ago, Smoother said:

It's THE EXACT SAME SIZE OF THE BEARINGS IN MY KS14C !!!

This post is relevant to my interests. I have both an MX5 Miata and a KS14C. ( Also I must say that you, sir, have excellent taste. :D )

Where does this bearing go on the car?

11 hours ago, dmethvin said:

Where does this bearing go on the car?

It fits in the flywheel.  The first motion shaft of the gearbox fits into it.  It's the bearing you put the centering tool into in order to center the clutch disc.  I suspect this is a very common bearing size for lots of applications.  It might actually have only been a 1 in 50 chance. I'll buy another one and I'm sorted.  I knew there was a good reason to never throw anything away.

31 minutes ago, Smoother said:

It fits in the flywheel.  The first motion shaft of the gearbox fits into it.  It's the bearing you put the centering tool into in order to center the clutch disc.  I suspect this is a very common bearing size for lots of applications.  It might actually have only been a 1 in 50 chance. I'll buy another one and I'm sorted.  I knew there was a good reason to never throw anything away.

To throw away spare parts is like to throw away opportunities :efee8319ab:

30 minutes ago, Rob Valley said:

To throw away spare parts is like to throw away opportunities :efee8319ab:

My problem is I can never find anything I have "saved".  I have also discovered that the best way to find something, is to buy its replacement.  Soon after that, you'll find it for sure.

3 hours ago, dmethvin said:

Ah the pilot bearing! What made you think it might be bad? I know they're a weak spot on the MX5 and some people say they squeal when they start to wear out.

Pilot Bearing, that's the word I was looking for.  When I went for a test drive, there was a slight whine in neutral with the clutch out, that went away when the clutch was depressed. the Internet MX5 gurus all agreed it's the sound of a bad pilot bearing.  Although I didn't understand why it would go away with the clutch depressed, I ordered one anyway in anticipation for the day I picked up the car.  Later, a little more reading produced a guy who actually knew what he was talking about.  He explained that even with the clutch in, the pilot bearing is still spinning, so the noise should still be there.  That made more sense to me, but I already had the bearing by then.  The whine is the "normal" sound of the gears spinning, so no gearbox repairs necessary.  The bottom end, however, was a different matter. :efee8c29ce:

13 hours ago, Smoother said:

My problem is I can never find anything I have "saved".  I have also discovered that the best way to find something, is to buy its replacement.  Soon after that, you'll find it for sure.

Just be sure you put things in a "safe place." Then it won't be an issue.

8 hours ago, Smoother said:

Pilot Bearing, that's the word I was looking for.  

Ummm... That's two words.

Just saying...

OMG is the KS14C axle attenuated. @Smoother I tore into the motor and was surprised how thin the axle walls are. The machined conduit through the axle really weakens it. No wonder they fracture so often.

I still need to press out the axle. The bearings are shot.  Once I remove the motor side covers water came flowing out. Can’t believe  it has been over 7 months since the wheel went into the lake and all this moisture remains. 

27990241769_2abd5054e3_b.jpg

25896868008_bee26ecfbc_b.jpg

8 minutes ago, Rehab1 said:

OMG is the KS14C axle attenuated. @Smoother I tore into the motor and was surprised how thin the axle walls are. The machined conduit through the axle really weakens it. No wonder they fracture so often.

I still need to press out the axle. The bearings are shot.  Once I remove the motor side covers water came flowing out. Can’t believe  it has been over 7 months since the wheel went into the lake and all this moisture remains. 

27990241769_2abd5054e3_b.jpg

If nothing else can be saved, the tire looks like a keeper :)

8 minutes ago, Rehab1 said:

surprised how thin the axle walls are. The machined conduit through the axle really weakens it

Now do you understand my vitriol towards Crack Song when they think they are doing us a favor by posting a training video instead of attending engineering 101?

My plan is to mount the axle at 90 degrees so the machined side is not directly in the line of stress.  Its not ideal because the axle needs all that material they machined away, but its better than nothing. The crime of it all is there is no reason to shave the axles at all, there must be a dozen better ways to secure the pedal arms to the axle (and no, GotWay shims is not one of them, as I'm sure you can attest).

23 minutes ago, Marty Backe said:

If nothing else can be saved, the tire looks like a keeper :)

Yes definately the tire, pedals and hangers and both shells. 

19 minutes ago, Smoother said:

Now do you understand my vitriol towards Crack Song when they think they are doing us a favor by posting a training video instead of attending engineering 101?

I certainly do now. 

21 minutes ago, Smoother said:

My plan is to mount the axle at 90 degrees so the machined side is not directly in the line of stress.  Its not ideal because the axle needs all that material they machined away, but its better than nothing. The crime of it all is there is no reason to shave the axles at all, there must be a dozen better ways to secure the pedal arms to the axle (and no, GotWay shims is not one of them, as I'm sure you can attest).

Sounds like a good plan. Better you test it than me.:P I will see about having the axle pressed out this weekend. 

Archived