1-mph crash and bruised ankle - injuries at any speed

24 minutes ago, Shad0z said:

Dont think too much about it. I never had problems with my ankles but if you do have problems find some foam and put it on the euc

Hope you never do. But I've whacked my ankles with a pedal hit, and the pain can last many weeks. I had gone over a year before the accident that caused me to write this post. If I had it to do over, I would have always worn boots during the first few months of riding.

Foam will help relieve the pain after an injury, but I think you need something hard like a boot to prevent a spinning pedal from injuring you.

• Replies 108
  • Created
  • Last Reply
19 minutes ago, Marty Backe said:

Hope you never do. But I've whacked my ankles with a pedal hit, and the pain can last many weeks. I had gone over a year before the accident that caused me to write this post. If I had it to do over, I would have always worn boots during the first few months of riding.

Foam will help relieve the pain after an injury, but I think you need something hard like a boot to prevent a spinning pedal from injuring you.

ahh like that i thought people got hurt ankles just by standing on it.. but you mean when you get off and the pedal bumps into your ankle.. 

the pain :wacko:   but i guess just flip the pedals up..

On ‎17‎.‎01‎.‎2018 at 7:33 PM, Rehab1 said:

Your ankle injury @Marty Backe almost made me change my mind on this ACM modification. My new foot pedal spikes will keep my feet from slipping off the pedals in the snow but will tear the hell out of any body part that comes in contact with them. 

I’ll be posting the fabrication and hopfully riding details once everything in complete. 

39038161054_6aea821b17_b.jpg

27968205139_549645cd58_b.jpg

how to make these???

Ankle protection?  Soccer shin pads, sponges inside socks on inside ankle.  Don't laugh, that was the advice that allowed me to even ride a ks14c.  Otherwise, the bottom of the battery cases would rub my ankle bones bloody.

12 hours ago, Je77 said:

I’m about to receive my first EUC. Excited. As a beginner, how high do the boots need to be to provide the necessary ankle protection? I have hiking boots that cover the ankles. Is that sufficient or do I need something that covers the lower shins? If so, are there certain kind of pads that would be better than buying new shoes? I prefer normal height sneakers. Thanks

If you are really worried about the ankle bashing, which is a right of passage, you can always use shin guards worn lower around your ankles. That should save your ankles in the first weeks of learning.

9 hours ago, Shad0z said:

ahh like that i thought people got hurt ankles just by standing on it.. but you mean when you get off and the pedal bumps into your ankle.. 

the pain :wacko:   but i guess just flip the pedals up..

This has never happened to you, but it's possible to momentarily lose control of the wheel when getting on (or off) and the wheel spins on you and the open pedal whacks you in the ankle. You then have a apple sized bump on your ankle for the next two months. It's happened to me twice and a few other people too.

7 minutes ago, Marty Backe said:

This has never happened to you, but it's possible to momentarily lose control of the wheel when getting on (or off) and the wheel spins on you and the open pedal whacks you in the ankle. You then have a apple sized bump on your ankle for the next two months. It's happened to me twice and a few other people too.

there was this time where when i was learning i opened the pedals then i wlked with i and hit my ankle.. the pain.. :o  but no apple size bump yet ;) 

20 minutes ago, Shad0z said:

there was this time where when i was learning i opened the pedals then i wlked with i and hit my ankle.. the pain.. :o  but no apple size bump yet ;) 

The apple size bump occurs when the wheel angrily spins and hits your ankle.

51 minutes ago, Smoother said:

APPLE SIZE BUMP! OMG! How many pedals hit you?

i thought that too

56 minutes ago, Marty Backe said:

The apple size bump occurs when the wheel angrily spins and hits your ankle.

i hit a pedal really hard and i was pretty much imobilized for about a minute then i could think of other things that pain.. but no apple bump :o 

8 hours ago, Marty Backe said:

So glad I’ve never had any of these issues.

On 1/14/2018 at 11:57 AM, LanghamP said:

I wear boots since day zero, because I read all the horror stories of people getting whacked by their pedals

I can't say "horror stories" but speaking of low speed and ankle injuries, during practice at my workplace parking lot in my first weeks going about 2 mph I got into a wobble, tried to step off, and next thing I knew the edge of the pedal caught me right in the underside of my ankle bone.  Most swelling I ever had in any injury, coincidentally.  I've tried boots in the past but those soccer guards look promising.  The smooth, convex sides of the S1 practically beg for some kind of padding around your ankle, anyway!

For some reason my brain seems to block out EUC mishaps sort of like bad trips to the dentist.  Not sure if that's "a thing" or if I'm just lucky in that respect.  Or unlucky because it's hard to avoid something you don't remember doing last time.

I see in my slowness to post from yesterday, the term "apple sized lump" was discussed.  I would say mine was about the size of cutting off 1/3 of a tennis ball and sticking it in your sock.  I'm pretty sure that is the same phenomenon I experienced.

On 1/20/2018 at 4:37 PM, dmethvin said:

For city riding there is also the question of how it looks to people around you. If they see that you are in a fully armored suit and a full face helmet it gives them the impression that an EUC is a very dangerous thing. They will be worried about getting near it and wonder be upset when you ride near them. Now, if you're a relative beginner and don't have complete control over the wheel maybe it is dangerous to be near you. :) 

I mainly ride on side-walks and I ride with just a baseball cap on my head for this exact reason, I think it is marginally intimidating that I wear a light bike jacket and gloves, don't want to push it with a helmet. Especially considering no clear legislation on EUCs here.

1 hour ago, ( _ ) Alexey said:

I mainly ride on side-walks and I ride with just a baseball cap on my head for this exact reason, I think it is marginally intimidating that I wear a light bike jacket and gloves, don't want to push it with a helmet. Especially considering no clear legislation on EUCs here.

yea when i was wearing a bike helmet people though hmm a guy on one wheel

when i wear cross helmet.. holy damn that guy looks like he is going to rip up the streets in a few seconds. not always good. especially not when you want to look like you respect other people and no trouble..  people judge too fast..

i was watching that long asian tesla video where the speeding tesla rider’s wheel cut out, and what i took away from that video is, nobody, men or women were wearing any protective gear. i rarely see any asians in these videos wearing protective gear, actually.

i agree entirely with the topic, “injuries at any speed”. however, i think segway must have done some research on determining their top speed for their 9bot1s1 at 12.5 mph. protective gear is great if u don’t let it increase ur speed. 

my left thumb is still hurting a little bit, not much but i can feel it, from a fall in my pasture. wristguards would have done nothing except make my left hand not have traction and probably hyper extended my thumb worse and my face hitting the ground. so until a nice climate controlled ironman suit is available, i keep my fingers cross the wheel doesn’t fail and go slow.

7 hours ago, novazeus said:

i was watching that long asian tesla video where the speeding tesla rider’s wheel cut out, and what i took away from that video is, nobody, men or women were wearing any protective gear. i rarely see any asians in these videos wearing protective gear, actually.

I noticed that also thanks

I think they have a different reality

Maybe the lighter weight safer

1 hour ago, steve454 said:

I noticed that also thanks

I think they have a different reality

Maybe the lighter weight safer

i thiink it’s because they ship all the defective ones to the usa. they know their’s are good. that guy probably got one marked for usa.

actually, that would be pretty smart. sell ur neighbor a dud, u are liable to get a punch in the nose. it’s not like i can drag my wheels to their front door and start pounding on it. and i don’t have any muscle in china, i don’t think.

Archived