1-mph crash and bruised ankle - injuries at any speed

It's a herd mentality. Each member of the group subconsciously conforms to the average activity of the group, to fit in.  No one wears pads, new guys don't want to stand out, so they don't wear pads either.  Everyone wears pads, new guy wears pads to fit in.  It's one of the reasons I gave Solowheel a hard time about posting a "no protection in sight" video here.  I don't want new people to see stuff like that and assume it must be ok, and then hurt themselves.  Of course, there are always exceptions; those who feel strongly enough to go against the group.

You'll notice that almost all of @marty's videos feature protection.  Only his ultra-local (backyard, in front of house) vids may not feature protection.  Marty sends the right message. 

It's also how society works. 40 years ago sexual harassment was tolerated in English offices.  These days society says this is not only not acceptable, but punishable by law.  With the exception of sick individuals, society has agreed that this "herd" will no longer tolerate that activity. But when "everyone did it" the young were taught that it was ok, and it perpetuated itself for generations.

• Replies 108
  • Created
  • Last Reply
15 minutes ago, Smoother said:

It's a herd mentality

i started riding street riding harleys in 2006 with a bunch of cop buddies(i’m not a cop). they always gave me shit about my full face arai helmets. plus i wore dainese motorcycle gloves, heavy leather jacket, motorcycle boots and jeans. one of the cops was a retired fhp motorman or something like that. didn’t phase me. i was the only one in this big group of cops and retired cops, wearing a helmet. gary busey was just sitting on his bike when he slipped and hit his head on a curb and went into a coma. so, ya, if ur stupid, u follow the crowd.

at the ranch, i’m in a controlled environment, if i maintain the same slow speed i ride here, and went next door into the neighborhood with concrete sidewalks, curbs, lightpoles, dogs etc etc. i’d probably look like iron man. but that will never, ever happen.

• 1 month later...

Yesterday route comes with a little fall. Riding really slow between rocks, slipped from the pedal results hitting my hip with the rocks. I was very careful because didn't wear protective gear. My question is, if I was wearing standard protection, would be less or more hurting from that falling?

I mean protective gear didn't prevent many of the worst hurts from falling (luxations, dislocations, knee twist, hip hitting rocks...) but give extra confidence to take more risks. What's the point in prevent some scratches if you keep (or rise) the danger of having worst injuries?

I always advice to wear the appropriate protective gear. Riding at 10km/h average for a experienced rider isn't the same as trying reach top speed in a monster wheel for firs time. But. Take the caution as your first injuries prevention

Hitting your hip is a bit unusual for EUCs but hip protection pants are available. I've actually thought about buying some  

Wrists, knees and elbows statistically take most impacts so logically these are the most sensible and convenient areas to protect. 

What caused your foot to slip off the pedal?

The mixture of wet, dust, mud and the smooth surface of the very used grip must be the cause of the slip. But the difficult of the path, my stunned reflexes and the distraction of a runner sharing path added all the elements needed for the fall.

Yea, I looking in my closet for the motorbike wear with the buy of a faster wheel in mind, the protective gear is very useful: gloves, glasses, long pants and shirt and some padding for head, knees and elbows.

Ideally this https://www.amazon.es/dp/B07BBR9HRN/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_awdb_t1_xBZ1AbPFBG4M2   and this https://www.amazon.es/dp/B07BMQMHWM/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_awdb_t1_AFZ1AbEX693B9

On ‎1‎/‎21‎/‎2018 at 11:31 PM, WARPed1701D said:

Not all full face helmets are the same or give the same perception. Marty's helmet, while cool, hides the face in it's entirety and honestly has a menacing alien look to it. Dystopian. Authoritarian. Military

Are you suggesting that the military is menacing?

10 hours ago, Joe Holliday said:

They certainly are if you're a Palestinian, Syrian, Ukrainian, etc. civilian subject to an opposing military force. But let's keep this on topic, here's a picture of troops on Segways. As you can see they have good protection but an EUC would be more practical since they can't hold on to the handlebars while they're shooting.

It9MEhD.gif

10 hours ago, Joe Holliday said:

If they aren't on your side and you are some hapless civilian they are heading towards then yes, the Military in full equipment would be menacing.

I know you are military and I mean no disrespect to you. Please don't consider my comment out of the context it was intended. It was in no way an attack on our servicemen/women or those of other nations who conduct themselves with honor.

1 hour ago, WARPed1701D said:

If they aren't on your side and you are some hapless civilian they are heading towards then yes, the Military in full equipment would be menacing.

I know you are military and I mean no disrespect to you. Please don't consider my comment out of the context it was intended. It was in no way an attack on our servicemen/women or those of other nations who conduct themselves with honor.

Sorry if I sounded serious, I was joking.  I knew you meant no disrespect. :) 

Archived