Jump to content

1-mph crash and bruised ankle - injuries at any speed


Recommended Posts

22 minutes ago, Marty Backe said:

This post is probably more for newbies, as it highlights that many injuries occur at low speed. Don't kid yourself if you think you're safe at walking speed :)

Bugger that... I feel your pain.

Though would suggest, as this happened to you, then all of us should keep this in mind! 

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Having ridden 8000km on several wheels, I am far from being a newbie myself. Still, the wheel hitting my ankle or lower leg is the most common cause of (moderate) pain for me as well. I am getting better and better in seperating myself cleanly from the wheel most of the time, but it still hits me once in a while. I think I am down to about 2% hitting probability (without the complication of protecting nearby parking cars).

Yet any severe injuries will occur in all likelihood at higher speeds.

Edited by Mono
Link to comment
Share on other sites

I wear boots since day zero, because I read all the horror stories of people getting whacked by their pedals. I haven't hurt my ankles yet not even ever bruises, but all my boots have deep cuts into them from where the pedals have gone in.

You have to wear boots or some sort of high tops.

  • Like 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

58 minutes ago, LanghamP said:

I wear boots since day zero, because I read all the horror stories of people getting whacked by their pedals. I haven't hurt my ankles yet not even ever bruises, but all my boots have deep cuts into them from where the pedals have gone in.

You have to wear boots or some sort of high tops.

I agree that boots are the best protection, but I prefer my athletic shoes. It's been about 16-months since I last whacked my ankle, so it's an extremely rare event for me.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, Marty Backe said:

t's been about 16-months since I last whacked my ankle, so it's an extremely rare event for me.

Yip....i have the same experience, and i would guess that this rareness is for all long experienced riders.

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 1/13/2018 at 6:52 PM, Marty Backe said:

I must of misread the air gauge because instead of filling it to my normal 45-psi, I filled it closer to 70-psi.

Ouch! I feel your pain!  Maybe try out those reading glasses you’ve been reluctant to wear.  ;) Could have been worse. Think of the guy in Hawaii who also misread. 

Edited by Rehab1
  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

I have a set of ankle protectors by G-Form. Ankle bone is protected on both sides as is either the front or rear of the foot at the joint (reversible). I got them so I could ride in trainers/tennis shoes but so far have only used my walking boots so they remain unused. 

https://g-form.com/soccer-ankle-guard

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, Hunka Hunka Burning Love said:

Maybe a pair of these might help:

https://www.ebay.com/p/adidas-Ankle-Guard-Brace-Shield-Protector-Dual-Sided-for-Soccer-Football/1342246348

The inner ankle areas are so vulnerable due to the thin skin over the bone.  High tops might also be an option.

For something that may happen once-a-year, or less, I think I skip the ankle protectors. But I do wish that I had used these during the first few months of learned. Would have saved me a big ankle injury that took months to recover from.

  • Upvote 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

All this discussion of boots, and another discussion about foot pain and the use of very solid footwear, makes me think that I might take advantage of the January sales and get a pair if Timberland-style work boots with steel toe caps.  I can get a pair of Stanley branded ones for £30, or De Walt for £40.  £10 more for a different name (same company BTW) NAH!!! I don't think so.

@Marty Backe this is a British budget glasses shop.

a8dc37463ac16dc7bf81fc98bcefa43e--advert

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

4 hours ago, Smoother said:

All this discussion of boots, and another discussion about foot pain and the use of very solid footwear, makes me think that I might take advantage of the January sales and get a pair if Timberland-style work boots with steel toe caps.  I can get a pair of Stanley branded ones for £30, or De Walt for £40.  £10 more for a different name (same company BTW) NAH!!! I don't think so.

@Marty Backe this is a British budget glasses shop.

a8dc37463ac16dc7bf81fc98bcefa43e--advert

I can't for the life of me figure out what it was that (supposedly) crashed through the sign. I keep thinking "Alien" or large snail, but that can't be right :)

  • Upvote 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

10 hours ago, Marty Backe said:

For something that may happen once-a-year, or less, I think I skip the ankle protectors. But I do wish that I had used these during the first few months of learned. Would have saved me a big ankle injury that took months to recover from.

I got mine for riding comfort in general. The V8 has a hard shell with zero padding and I ride with my heel close to the body resulting in occasional ankle bone pressure. If I didn't wear my walking boots I think I'd need these for general comfort. 

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 hours ago, Marty Backe said:

I can't for the life of me figure out what it was that (supposedly) crashed through the sign. I keep thinking "Alien" or large snail, but that can't be right :)

You really do need glasses, don't you. B) It's your typical Vespa style scooter sans rider.  I would assume the rider bailed out.  But it's not a real accident sight, just good advertising.

vespa-vxl-150-500x500.jpg

However, this was a real accident.  Don't worry the red stuff on the sidewalk is coolant not blood

Time for an eye test? Car crashes into Specsavers

Edited by Smoother
  • Like 3
Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 hours ago, Smoother said:

You really do need glasses, don't you. B) It's your typical Vespa style scooter sans rider.  I would assume the rider bailed out.  But it's not a real accident sight, just good advertising.

vespa-vxl-150-500x500.jpg

However, this was a real accident.  Don't worry the red stuff on the sidewalk is coolant not blood

 

We don't have Vespa's here. In the States we have real motorcycles.

;)

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Your ankle injury @Marty Backe almost made me change my mind on this ACM modification. My new foot pedal spikes will keep my feet from slipping off the pedals in the snow but will tear the hell out of any body part that comes in contact with them. 

I’ll be posting the fabrication and hopfully riding details once everything in complete. 

39038161054_6aea821b17_b.jpg

 

27968205139_549645cd58_b.jpg

 

  • Like 2
  • Upvote 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

9 minutes ago, Rehab1 said:

Your ankle injury @Marty Backe almost made me change my mind on this ACM modification. My new foot pedal spikes will keep my feet from slipping off the pedals in the snow but will tear the hell out of any body part that comes in contact with them. 

I’ll be posting the fabrication and hopfully riding details once everything in complete. 

39038161054_6aea821b17_b.jpg

 

27968205139_549645cd58_b.jpg

 

Wow, those are some impressive pedals. Talk about being 'grippy'. I imagine those would be good to use even in summer conditions, right? You might need a dedicated pair of shoes though, because they don't look very shoe friendly (in terms of wear and tear).

:cheers:

I don't think the surface of the pedal is what hits the leg/foot during a spin-out, so I think you'll be safe.

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

26 minutes ago, Marty Backe said:

Wow, those are some impressive pedals. Talk about being 'grippy'. I imagine those would be good to use even in summer conditions, right? You might need a dedicated pair of shoes though, because they don't look very shoe friendly (in terms of wear and tear).

:cheers:

 

Thanks. These are my ‘winter’ pedals. I’ll change back to the OEMs once spring hits. I actually don’t feel them through my shoes. Of course I am use to lying on a bed of nails at night.  :)

Edited by Rehab1
  • Like 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

 Share

×
×
  • Create New...