CES 2018: Ninebot One Z

houseofjob

42 minutes ago, KingSong69 said:

But its a fact that the Z10 will cost/is announced by Segway themself in  China for 1500Dollar/1300Euro!

I just spoke to Ninebot US about the cost of the Z One in the US. I was not given a definitive answer only that the UL 2272 certification is still pending and that process is expensive $$$$ ! The Mini has already made it through the certification process so the rep assured me that Segway has a great relationship with UL and there will be no issues. Then he spoke about the import costs and tax duties.....more $$$$!  

I also tried to find out about how they treat customer positions.  They will be selling the Z One in the descending order of who signs up first. He stated that the first 100 customers who enroll will receive the first outgoing batch of Z One availability emails.

• Replies 58
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 hour ago, KingSong69 said:

Ok, this discussion is kinda worthless...

the Z10 is anounced for 9999 Yuan/RMB which are about 1500Dollar (just converted, no extra TAX/VAT/Customs/Warranty needed plus)

Z6=4999Yuan/rmb...Z8 =7999Yuan/RMB

Who is thnking that it gets cheaper when coming to Europe or the US....I am not :-)

exactly

onez.PNG.4c6260ef6388db2a9e4be27b7ada32bd.PNG

The "about us" page in Ninebot-polska page look strange because it includes default contents of the web tool in which this page was created - it was never filled up and contains text in latin. 

16 hours ago, houseofjob said:

US Release was quoted as being in 2 months. This was echoed by multiple reps.

15 hours ago, Rehab1 said:

Edit: I just got off the phone with a Ninebot rep and the release date in the US is March 15th. You can go to their web site and sign up to be notified when the Z is available for purchase.

Argh.... Chinese EUC companies are the worst at informing their customers on a consistent projected release date!!! *smh.

So I have it from our favorite Miami ringleader super-distributor @Jason McNeil, who spoke directly at CES with a Ninebot/Segway head who would trump any rep or distributor source,.... that, at least for the US release, production ETA is June at the earliest.

15 hours ago, Rehab1 said:

You must have been frustrated by all of the water cooler palaver going on especially the 2 women referring to something large and extra large. Sure got this guy's attention.:facepalm:

xlg

:lol::lol::roflmao:

13 hours ago, Cranium said:

Any details on the redundancy in the unit?  If it's only batteries, I'm out.  I've had too many Ninebot failures already and wouldn't trust more of the same with the control boards.

12 hours ago, KingSong69 said:

Latest info from an asian reseller is that there isnt more redundancy than in any other EUC.....means just some parallel batterys.

I'm with @KingSong69 on this, doubtful. 

Think I saw a Baidu post with a reputable HK distributor circa the post- S. China Z announcement saying this redundancy was just battery, aka parallel city.

Even if I asked the Ninebot/Segway CES reps, I wouldn't hold weight in their answers based on the other head-scratching answers I've received from them.

12 hours ago, Confusius15 said:

Does it switch off when you lift it ? Does it have an anti-theft mode ?

Good question! Totally forgot to feel the under-handle for this.

I'll be making a quick trip back tomorrow (last day of CES) to check for this, as well as check a few other things I forgot in my euphoria of seeing a live Z up close and personal. :wub:

As for anti-theft, my guess is the usual signature Ninebot app-lock, making the wheel shake like hell if you have it on and move it (think that's how it goes... been awhile since my ex-NB1's). 

But since the Ninebot-Segway CES reps won't even let you turn on the Z, let alone ride or do anything with make sweet love to it, can't say for sure.

12 hours ago, diegoxxx said:

in Poland, the end of this month will be available

11 hours ago, diegoxxx said:

FYI, some of the euro sellers have been known to throw up premature preorder pages with wrong information. 

I'd take this with a grain of salt if it were me.

10 hours ago, Rehab1 said:

I also tried to find out about how they treat customer positions.  They will be selling the Z One in the descending order of who signs up first. He stated that the first 100 customers who enroll will receive the first outgoing batch of Z One availability emails.

If I'm not mistaken, I believe John / NinebotUS did the same deal with the P pre-orders way back when.

14 minutes ago, Confusius15 said:

@houseofjob Do you know if the mudguard is included ? And the trolley handle (ninebot US mentions it but I can't find it anywhere else) ?

17 hours ago, houseofjob said:

• According to the reps, the NB1Z will include the fender mudguard and trolley handle (based on their EUC proficiency, take that FWIW).

Sorry, wrote "fender" when I meant mudguard in my initial post.

So, to review: according to the CES Ninebot-Segway reps, who I no longer believe, .... yes, yes they are both included.

12 hours ago, Lukasz said:

The "about us" page in Ninebot-polska page look strange because it includes default contents of the web tool in which this page was created - it was never filled up and contains text in latin. 

lorem ipsum mmmmm ;)

I really dont understand that much of a excitement and hipp hiip hurray for the Z10....

Yes, the looks are really pretty stuning...but in my opinion thats all, and i doubt that this fat tire will make any sense.

I guess there is a reason, why small motorbikes with a 50kmh max and all bicycles have a maximum of a 2,5 inch tire. As long as you dont have 100horsepowers to bring the power to the ground a fat tire like this will only bring disadvantages to handling and all.

Then the Ninebot factor:

Yes, in 2014 9b was the top of the notch and the only real halfway reliable and powerfull EUC. 4 years ago...even in beginning of 2015, when i started with EUCS, the better choice was a 14C or a MCM2s if you wanted 30kmh and some more battery at least.

Since that time/years we have seen fantastic EUCs from the competition, like KS16S, Tesla, V3s+, ACM, V8, V5f etc etc. which all are a totally different class of wheel then the nowadys 9b e+ or s2..

Then the quality aspect: When i hear that 9b will bring that to the market i can only have a big fat smile :-)

- Remembering the multiple firmware desasters which destroyed several 9b's or let their users faceplant or even both???

Even GW did not have such a record of bad firmware

- The 9b "P" desaster? Announced for a year...brought in several beta versions to market, to be withdrawn at the end, as 9b/segway didnt get their things together to fix it ? Heat problems, mosfet blows over and over... :-)

- Then the "so called" customer service? Buyers of e+ or P waiting over 6months or more for repair/replacement? Even our little garage companys like KS and GW deliver a better customer service experience... @Cranium might be witness

So this leads me to doubt the Z6-10 a "little bit", mainly while there is no clue clue what to exspect performance wise, after beeing nearly 3 years out of EUC market. KS/GW going step by step, iteration by iteration (seams that is needed for progress, and even that goes sometimes with problems), but who knows? Perhaps 9b is throwing out the "perfect wheel" in its first attempt aver several years? (Being sarcastic ;-) ) I am hearing other things out of asia.....

In the End....only Time will tell, but I better will bet my money on the competition....

Just My 2 cents :-)

It is no totally true S2 is model 2016. For me, it's a pleasure to ride S2, very responsive, light weight (only I5 and Mten3 are lighter), two batteries controlled by the mainboard and enough milage for shopping or short trip. My city is not very big ( about 300k citizens) and I can cross from one side to other and back with one charge (about 16km) with enough safety margin. 

1 hour ago, KingSong69 said:

So this leads me to doubt the Z6-10 a "little bit", mainly while there is no clue clue what to exspect performance wise, after beeing nearly 3 years out of EUC market

My point is that Ninebot / Segway can make good wheels, if they want to invest some money 

3 hours ago, KingSong69 said:

I guess there is a reason, why small motorbikes with a 50kmh max and all bicycles have a maximum of a 2,5 inch tire. As long as you dont have 100horsepowers to bring the power to the ground a fat tire like this will only bring disadvantages to handling and all.

More traction is always better especially if we're talking about an EUC. I slipped many times with my V8 and sadly you can't save yourself from falling all the time.

17 hours ago, KingSong69 said:

I really dont understand that much of a excitement and hipp hiip hurray for the Z10....

Yes, the looks are really pretty stuning...but in my opinion thats all, and i doubt that this fat tire will make any sense.

Then the Ninebot factor:

Yes, in 2014 9b was the top of the notch and the only real halfway reliable and powerfull EUC. 4 years ago...even in beginning of 2015, when i started with EUCS, the better choice was a 14C or a MCM2s if you wanted 30kmh and some more battery at least.

Since that time/years we have seen fantastic EUCs from the competition, like KS16S, Tesla, V3s+, ACM, V8, V5f etc etc. which all are a totally different class of wheel then the nowadys 9b e+ or s2..

Then the quality aspect: When i hear that 9b will bring that to the market i can only have a big fat smile :-)

- Remembering the multiple firmware desasters which destroyed several 9b's or let their users faceplant or even both???

Even GW did not have such a record of bad firmware

- The 9b "P" desaster? Announced for a year...brought in several beta versions to market, to be withdrawn at the end, as 9b/segway didnt get their things together to fix it ? Heat problems, mosfet blows over and over... :-)

- Then the "so called" customer service? Buyers of e+ or P waiting over 6months or more for repair/replacement? Even our little garage companys like KS and GW deliver a better customer service experience... @Cranium might be witness

So this leads me to doubt the Z6-10 a "little bit", mainly while there is no clue clue what to exspect performance wise, after beeing nearly 3 years out of EUC market. KS/GW going step by step, iteration by iteration (seams that is needed for progress, and even that goes sometimes with problems), but who knows? Perhaps 9b is throwing out the "perfect wheel" in its first attempt aver several years? (Being sarcastic ;-) ) I am hearing other things out of asia.....

In the End....only Time will tell, but I better will bet my money on the competition....

Just My 2 cents :-)

Aesthetics, design & technical sheet = I'm happy to buy it :lol::clap3:

After sales service, customer service, firmware problem, quality of some materials, where found spare parts= I regret having bought it :wacko::crying: "help my ninebot don't turn on !" "help how to downgrade firmware?"

The customer service part is a problem, as is the firmware history. I doubt the build quality will be any worse than GW or even KS, they might not have made it their USP like IM, but I understand that build quality was never really the problem with 9B?

There are two main things that make me consider the 9BZ10, the motor power and the tyre width. 4.1" might be a bit over the top, but not really. Consider the MTen3 with a 2.75" width on a 10" wheel: Does it make it less maneuverable? Hardly. And comparing with the width of 50kph mopeds/MC's isn't really relevant, as you forget the scooters where 4, 5 even 6" tires are not uncommon.

The agility is dependent not only on width but on the profile, and of course the firmware, pedal-height and overall balance of the EUC. Is it easy to run at slower speeds, how does it respond to input, how easy is it to tilt and control?

The pros of a wider tyre OTOH is that you can go tubeless, have thicker walls and deeper threads, slightly lower pressures, better damping, better grip on precarious surfaces and so on. I'd for sure would like to have 4.1" right now with enough rubber to screw my studs into it without being nervous, and enough area touching the ground to make frost and loose gravel on ice less of a hazard. Of course it doesn't magically make winter riding safe, but it sure doesn't hurt.

It may well turn out to be a flop, or it may break new ground forcing the other MFGs to follow. I'm withholding my judgement until after this hits the market and we have a little more on hands experience. But my feeling is that 9B is on the track of something good.

19 hours ago, KingSong69 said:

(...)

Agree with the criticism, nothing in there is really wrong. I just have higher hopes (maybe foolishly).

Why? Because the P seems to have been an attempt to get more from the existing hardware, and that seems to not have worked out to their standards (I wonder if they regret not releasing the thing anyways like Gotway surely would have:efee8319ab: to keep a foot in the door).

The Z instead seems to be a new design, specifically for this purpose, and the fact that they came out with a new wheel 2 years after seemingly giving up on the EUC market tells me they must be doing something that they consider competitive.

Still salty about the small battery. The design would work perfectly for a bigger battery version, just make it wider on the whole with an extra layer of batteries on each side. Otherwise, if it works as advertised, pretty great and unique wheel.

At least that's what I hope:efef3d5527:

Some additional pics/findings:

Felt the underside of the handle for a button/trigger to disengage the wheel when carrying, and there seemed to be none.

W0NF8sN.jpg

Went back to measure the display model Z pedals.

Seems they measure approx. 9.5" at their longest, and approx. 4.5" at their widest. 

If these are indeed the final stock Z pedals (which I can't believe they won't be), this will make them the largest stock EUC pedals out.

for comparison:

• MSuperV3 pedals: approx. 8" x 4.5"
  • KS18S pedals: approx. 8" x 5"

21yyiAG.jpgVrvQcgB.jpg

In keeping with the Z's seemingly theme of using only hex screws, the mudguard is affixed to the shell by the long fixture piece below: 2 hex screws for the shell, and 2 hex screws for the mudguard (underside)

SIfiP9c.jpgce3Ikdr.jpg

Also forgot to mention:

The upper shell above the carbon fiber exterior side shells, are not matte cushioned, just plastic. FWIW not as hard a plastic as the Glide 3 / V8 or S1/A1/S2, which also both have no side pad cushioning.

16 hours ago, Scatcat said:

The customer service part is a problem, as is the firmware history. I doubt the build quality will be any worse than GW or even KS, they might not have made it their USP like IM, but I understand that build quality was never really the problem with 9B?

@KingSong69 said it well.

And I agree customer service has been terrible as well as firmware history.  I was one of the ones that bought the Ninebot P with high hopes of a reliable, faster, more powerful, better looking wheel.  From day one I questioned the quality of the control board after comparing it to the E+ and seeing no real differences.  And I immediately started having overheating issues.  It wasn't on the market long before Ninebot just discontinued it rather than fixing the existing issues and they haven't released a faster wheel since.  And they did nothing for the defective wheels out there.  It took 6 months after mine broke to get it fixed and they finally 'fixed' it by downgrading me to a less power capable board than the E+ which burned up after about 70 miles.  So their track history has been bad build quality for performance wheels that is worse that KS and even GW.  

Now that they have announced a new performance wheel, we should all be skeptical if they did it right this time.

It will probably let be sold at Amazon like all their other products.  I don’t see it selling all that much.  NinebotUS has a whole 100 units in the first batch.  Unit does look cool and futuristic.  

Archived