Gotway MCM4 vs Inmotion V8

csmyers

Hello again! It's been a while since I've been on the forums.

I'm looking to upgrade from my Ninebot One C+ and IPS Zero 240Wh. I'm living near my college campus, looking to save money on gas, time with parking, and have fun. However, I don't trust my Zero commuting off campus (or at higher speeds) and the Ninebot is too slow to be safe in the bike lane.

I've been looking at the Gotway MCM4 for a while now but it seems like no one's agreed on how safe it is. What do you guys know about it? HS vs HT?

The Inmotion V8 looks amazing and really reliable, but if I can go faster and go further for less money...:)

Thanks!

Also: the MSuper V2 HS is about the same price as the Inmotion V8. Obviously difficult to compare but I'd much rather have an over-capable wheel than an under-capable one.

Welcome back! Good to hear you are still wheeling. I too have a Zero (320wh) and agree that low speeds and casual riding best suit this nice but underpowered (by today's standards) wheel.

I believe @Nevin@Tec-toyz.com still has MCM4's and MSuper V2's in stock if you're interested. The V2 is really capable for a previous-generation wheel, though it's much bigger and heavier than your other wheels and doesn't have a trolley handle. The V8 (or identical Solowheel Glide 3) is solid and well-built yet not too heavy, with a great handle, cool lights and unique features like the shutoff button under the handle. It'd be hard for me to shop smaller wheels without looking at the King Songs too, it sounds like the 14D or 14S would fit your needs depending on what kind of range you seek.

On 1/8/2018 at 8:21 PM, csmyers said:

Hello again! It's been a while since I've been on the forums.

I'm looking to upgrade from my Ninebot One C+ and IPS Zero 240Wh. I'm living near my college campus, looking to save money on gas, time with parking, and have fun. However, I don't trust my Zero commuting off campus (or at higher speeds) and the Ninebot is too slow to be safe in the bike lane.

I've been looking at the Gotway MCM4 for a while now but it seems like no one's agreed on how safe it is. What do you guys know about it? HS vs HT?

The Inmotion V8 looks amazing and really reliable, but if I can go faster and go further for less money...:)

Thanks!

Also: the MSuper V2 HS is about the same price as the Inmotion V8. Obviously difficult to compare but I'd much rather have an over-capable wheel than an under-capable one.

Budget? desired cruise speed (not top speed)? range desired?, Wheel size? Battery size? Features: Trolley handle? head/tail lights? Flashy whirly lights? Speakers? Able to sit? 

I'm no expert, but the wheels you mention are, I believe, very much last generation stuff.(EDIT MCM4 seems to be quite current, my bad).  Having, myself, a wheel with a good trolley handle, I would think really hard about buying another wheel without one.

Check the for sale adds. stuff comes up on the west coast quite frequently.

Ive not used an MCM4 but i do have a V8 and have no issues with it at all, really great wheel. Im just over 100Kg and it hauls me up the hill i live on with no problems. Lovely to ride, agile, pretty light, never had a shut down, great trolly handle ... and will do 30kph. If I'm going to the local shops its what i use every time. Also have  a KS18s which i love but its to big and heavy have to pull about when you are shopping or doing something else. 

19 minutes ago, who_the said:

I believe @Nevin@Tec-toyz.com still has MCM4's and MSuper V2's in stock if you're interested. The V2 is really capable for a previous-generation wheel, though it's much bigger and heavier than your other wheels and doesn't have a trolley handle. The V8 (or identical Solowheel Glide 3) is solid and well-built yet not too heavy, with a great handle, cool lights and unique features like the shutoff button under the handle. It'd be hard for me to shop smaller wheels without looking at the King Songs too, it sounds like the 14D or 14S would fit your needs depending on what kind of range you seek.

Good to be back! Yes, I was looking at Tec Toyz and I shot them an email asking the same sorta question. I realize the V2 is a completely different beast...probably not suited for me tbh. Thanks for the recommendation on the King Song 14S/D! Slightly worried that the range is too limited on the D and the price is too high on the S. The V8 sits right in the middle and I like that it's 16" too.

18 minutes ago, Smoother said:

Budget? desired cruise speed (not top speed)? range desired?, Wheel size? Battery size? Features: Trolley handle? head/tail lights? Flashy whirly lights? Speakers? Able to sit? 

I'm no expert, but the wheels you mention are, I believe, very much last generation stuff. Having, myself, a wheel with a good trolley handle, I would think really hard about buying another wheel without one.

Check the for sale adds. stuff comes up on the west coast quite frequently.

My bad! Looking to stay under $1k, trying to cruise at 30km/h (reasonably for the price range), 15-20 mile real-world range would be nice. I found long hauls on the Zero (14") to get difficult, so 16"+ would be ideal. Never had a trolley handle, thanks for the tip on that. Headlights/Tail lights aren't essential, neither are lights, speakers, or sitting.

I guess my knowledge is mostly last-generation, so that's why I'm looking for advice :) 

1 minute ago, csmyers said:

Good to be back! Yes, I was looking at Tec Toyz and I shot them an email asking the same sorta question. I realize the V2 is a completely different beast...probably not suited for me tbh. Thanks for the recommendation on the King Song 14S/D! Slightly worried that the range is too limited on the D and the price is too high on the S. The V8 sits right in the middle and I like that it's 16" too.

My bad! Looking to stay under $1k, trying to cruise at 30km/h (reasonably for the price range), 15-20 mile real-world range would be nice. I found long hauls on the Zero (14") to get difficult, so 16"+ would be ideal. Never had a trolley handle, thanks for the tip on that. Headlights/Tail lights aren't essential, neither are lights, speakers, or sitting.

I guess my knowledge is mostly last-generation, so that's why I'm looking for advice :) 

I'm too lazy to look it up but isn't the MCM a 14" wheel?  A tail light helps people see you.  There's no quantifiable data on that but, if it wasn't true then an awful lot of cyclists waisted a ton of money on useless gadgets.  At the risk of sounding Biased, what you just described is a King Song 16.  Possibly a new 16B or a gently used 16S. Others too surely fit this remit, but I can't remember the stats for all the wheels,  Hell, I don't even know the stats for my wheel. Possibly a used Tesla too, but they are quite new still.  Or possibly a  gently used MSuper V3. @Marty Backe might be persuaded to part with something from his stable,m to make room for the Tesla-ised ACM he has on order. I may have misspoken on the V8, I think it would fit the bill quite well, and Solowheel is stepping up to the plate on service (is that right) so that might be good, especially as they are in your State.

32 minutes ago, steve454 said:

I think they lowered the price on the Solowheel branded Inmotion V8 to around $1000 or $1100.

it's actually $999 :), not too bad indeed.

23 hours ago, steve454 said:

Solowheel in San Diego offers a trade in allowance, you can put your wheel model in an online form and get a bid.

https://solowheel.com/pages/exchange-program

I think they lowered the price on the Solowheel branded Inmotion V8 to around $1000 or $1100.

Wow, great find! I'm trying to get rid of an old Ninebot so an exchange would be literally perfect. Can't argue with $600 or $700 for a Glide 3/V8!!

On 1/8/2018 at 1:56 PM, Smoother said:

@Marty Backe might be persuaded to part with something from his stable,m to make room for the Tesla-ised ACM he has on order. I may have misspoken on the V8, I think it would fit the bill quite well, and Solowheel is stepping up to the plate on service (is that right) so that might be good, especially as they are in your State.

Yes, I'm thinking the V8 would be pretty ideal for my needs getting around the Venice Beach/MDR area. I'm always down to shop used though, any idea what @Marty Backe would be able to offer? :)

On ‎1‎/‎9‎/‎2018 at 2:09 PM, csmyers said:

Wow, great find! I'm trying to get rid of an old Ninebot so an exchange would be literally perfect. Can't argue with $600 or $700 for a Glide 3/V8!!

Yes, I'm thinking the V8 would be pretty ideal for my needs getting around the Venice Beach/MDR area. I'm always down to shop used though, any idea what @Marty Backe would be able to offer? :)

If you are interested in a used wheel, I do have a used ACM 820wh for sale. It's almost brand new with only 38 miles on it for $900. 

The ACM is by far better then the V8 in performance and distance.

Archived