Ips 260 bluetooth not found

Ipsiain

Hi guys, ive just experienced my first problem with my wheel.

I cannot connect to my wheel with my phone anymore, everything was fine untill yesterday when I pulled my phone out to connect via xima lhotz app to check the battery level and it was not there. I opened up my phone settings and no Bluetooth devices were found. Ive tried a bluetooth scanner app and a differnt phone also. No luck. Its fully charged and rides the same as it ever has besides this one issue.

My eu is probably a couple years old and is on around 80km total. I keep it in the boot of my car and it probably bounces around a little over the bumps, also the outside air temperature has been below freezing lately.

Is there any ideas out there on a diagnosis and possible fix? 

I guess the BT module got bad, and if it uses the same board with LHOTZ probably its integrated into the main board. If you're comfortable to open it, you can verify that the  BT antenna is still attached to the board though before concluding it's faulty.

The mainboard is enclosed in a rubber sealed casing so without the antenna, the BT signal might be too weak to connect to the phone.

Thanks for your reply ipsMalta. Its strange, i managed to connect to it again after putting it back in my car, and driving the 20 plus miles to work. Whats weirder is it had more functionality with the app. When selecting the speed limit to 10kph on the app, the wheel give tilt back and beeping at the selected speed, previously its only ever done that at 20kph regardless of what limit it was set too. Anyway the next day I couldn't connect to it again, im just glad i put the speed limit back to maximum. I'm now suspecting the battery is losing power a lot faster than before. I think this might be bacause its colder outside or i left it charging one day and forgot about it, it was probably sitting getting charged with a green light on charger for 2-3 hours before i noticed. I'll see if i can open it up and find the bluetooth antenna like you suggested! 

I remember it was grey/silver (the outer layer of the wire was transparent) in colour and comes out of the mainboard box but connected to nothing (this is from memory of 2 years ago now so I might be wrong at this). I can't see it from the picture, but a BT board has its own wafer and ICs mounted(soldered) over the mainboard (i.e. it can be replaced if you know how to desolder the board) but I don't think that it is sold separately and I wouldn't suggest risking damaging the board and have to wait for a new one. I was given a new board when I got one of them with a similar problem (new, with a problem on delivery).

If you are unable to connect with BT to it on a particular location, it could also be interference from another appliance. Sometimes I am unlikely to be able to connect to my i5 when I am riding close to a batch of shared bikes around that apparently have a bt module for some reason (probably to be able to track them when nearby for maintenance). I end up seeing these shared bikes in the app rather than my wheel

Well leaving it seated in a car at low temperatures maybe is not the ideal esp if you fully charge it. I am now normally leaving my wheel half charged max 80% and charge it full only before I plan for a long ride or any ride that I know I will drop it back soon to 80% at least. There's a lot of talk going on around with regards to taking care of your batteries.

I thought maybe this little board had something to do with it?. 

Its all back together now and I was able to connect to the bluetooth straight away. It appears to be an intermittent fault that I can't reproduce, with all the factors involved I cannot notice a pattern, whether its temperature, battery charge or location ( as you suggested. )  I guess I can live with it for the time being. Ideally I'd like to upgrade to a KS16s or similar, but I can't justify to the wife the  £1000+ Price tag. It may be time to upgrade her too..

IMG_7108.JPG

A wife is priceless;). Maybe you can use your wheel more and make it more like a practical device to both of you. My wife is ok with my wheels now since I can go do groceries and take breaks that change my exhaustive days ... that results have a better day for her. She's agreed to get our newborn to learn when he's older (although this is far-fetched as I don't know what new thing there will be when he's old enough... maybe portable flying devices... who knows)

When would you be planning on getting the next wheel?

Im not sure what its going to be like in 5 or so years time. Its seems like a bit of a niche hobby under the radar at the moment. Ive only ever seen one other person on one. It just needs more exposure but that may come with a cost of laws and legislations for everyone. I guess ultimately they will become viewed as a ligitimate mode of transport, but then you are looking at road tax and insurance issues then official training and liciences required. Whats the euc scene like where you live? 

The only real practical use I can claim for my wheel is to transport me from my house to my car!! ( I live in city centre so shops ect are at my door step, can't commute because its 50miles per day )  

As to when I'd be looking to buy, as soon as I can save the cash really. My ips260 is really not what it was a month ago. It's really struggling with inclines. It slows right down to a crawl and the battery indicator starts flashing meaning the charge is between 33-67%. I stepped on the scales when i got in with my winter clothes and backpack and it read 124kg! ( this may be my real issue. ) For reference, In the summer i was a bit slimmer and less clothes, probably around 110kg and it would destroy hills no problem, although the battery indicator would still flash.

I'll do a range test soon and see how it compares to before. ( I could comfortably get 7miles on mostly flat ground.)

in Malta, it is legal for 14+ and wearing a helmet. Should be used on sidewalks at no more than 6km/h unless either it is not possible or considered dangerous or used by the police force. If it needs to be used on the road it needs to be equipped with front and rear light and a horn / bell (i use a bicycle bell wearing it on my index finger) and helmet always. It also needs to be ridden on the far left on the road(as we use same as British Road Direction, and I suggest on the road side when riding on footpath or sidewalk) except for nearing intersections. It needs to be registered with transport authority but there's no need for an insurance yet. I offer training to all sales to safeguard for safe riding for the consumer and the surrounding people(although not all take it as it's fun to learn too). The major issue with promoting in my country is that the culture is that by 18 you get your car and you go everywhere with it... they ride a car instead of a 10-minute walk to a store. Public transport is not yet popular but the government is doing a lot of adjustments to promote fewer cars on our congested roads now.

Marketing needs to target younger generation IMO and with use in junction with public transport that should improve in with the newer technology available.

yes probably the  IPS 260wh will struggle a bit for 124kg + uphills. Most have a maximum load limit of 120kg (i.e. you're risking a bit for some failure).Never the less an on 85kg-80kg I used to get a decent range nearly as advertised on flat back when I was in my country (on Zero and LHOTZ) and the i5 in China

Edit: Typo + Speed limit + on road riding requirements

• 3 weeks later...

My problem is solved, 

I managed to find the bluetooth module ( easy when you know what to look for ) the connection was loose, thats all it was. I suspect it wiggled loose from the vibrations whilst transporting in my car. 

I like the idea of all the rules where you are, seems pretty official! It's diffenatley better than where I am in that you aren't sure whether you are breaking laws or not

IMG_7166.JPG

Archived