THE FACE PLANT WALL OF INFAMY

29 minutes ago, Chriull said:

Sounds like a "normal" overean: 

Glad you are ok again!

Very glad you're OK, that could easily have been more than just painful.

The moral of the story is probably that protection is never needed until it is, and unless you make a habit using it you can be almost certain the demon Murphy makes sure the accident happens when you're not.

• Replies 139
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 minute ago, Scatcat said:

Very glad you're OK, that could easily have been more than just painful.

The moral of the story is probably that protection is never needed until it is, and unless you make a habit using it you can be almost certain the demon Murphy makes sure the accident happens when you're not.

Agreed. I have some pads and wrist guards I use when inline skating that I will be wearing much more often.

I'm also going to stop the speed hack and pay attention to the tilt back now lol.

2 hours ago, Julian Alvarez said:

So, this was my second crash and here's an overview before I get into specifics

Good story/info!

The speed hack is what did you in. And ignoring tiltback which essentially is a speed hack, too. Wheel didn't get stronger, you just rode inside the safety margin and then finally outside of it:efeebb3acc:

Good you have only slight injuries. The cost of your jacket (and pants?) is the price of no gear. And the cost of the V8 repair is the price of overspeed/hack.

Some people only learn the hard way. Me too. Ruined so many clothes in one stupid fall, now I'm wearing knee guards. But as long as one learns, it's ok, such is life:eff00eab1e:

Maybe also this is the opportunity for you to totally need a faster wheel... you know, for safety!:efee8319ab:

3 minutes ago, meepmeepmayer said:

Maybe also this is the opportunity for you to totally need a faster wheel... you know, for safety

Yeah that why i bought the msx so i don't have to go anywhere near the top speed , 28mph is my boost speed for short bursts normal speed is usually up to 25mph ish 

3 hours ago, Julian Alvarez said:

Agreed. I have some pads and wrist guards I use when inline skating that I will be wearing much more often.

I'm also going to stop the speed hack and pay attention to the tilt back now lol.

Smart move

8 hours ago, meepmeepmayer said:

Good story/info!

The speed hack is what did you in. And ignoring tiltback which essentially is a speed hack, too. Wheel didn't get stronger, you just rode inside the safety margin and then finally outside of it:efeebb3acc:

Good you have only slight injuries. The cost of your jacket (and pants?) is the price of no gear. And the cost of the V8 repair is the price of overspeed/hack.

Some people only learn the hard way. Me too. Ruined so many clothes in one stupid fall, now I'm wearing knee guards. But as long as one learns, it's ok, such is life:eff00eab1e:

Maybe also this is the opportunity for you to totally need a faster wheel... you know, for safety!:efee8319ab:

Haha, I mean I have to get a wheel I don't hit the tiltback as often to avoid the urge to, right? Is faster wheel and wearing protective gear learning my lesson? :lol:

24 minutes ago, Julian Alvarez said:

Haha, I mean I have to get a wheel I don't hit the tiltback as often to avoid the urge to, right? Is faster wheel and wearing protective gear learning my lesson? :lol:

Yes that's exactly the lesson. Couldn't have said it any better:efee47c9c8: I'm serious. If you go 35 with a V8 that shouldn't even do that, it's clear you need a wheel where 40 is far away from any power limits. Or where 40 is at least achievable with no problem or possible danger. Ideally in a perfect world, one would ride a wheel at 50% of what it can do most of the time.

So, V10(F), Tesla, or a nice 18L or msX. Somehow the 18L seems the right one for you to me (more urban/commute environment?), but you and your wallet have to know:efee8319ab:

Power = safety (unless it makes you an irresponsile speed demon with no self control). Because power keeps you upright.

And of course (full face) helmet, real good wrist and knee guards (and maybe more like a motorcycle jacket) is important at such speeds.

34 minutes ago, Julian Alvarez said:

Depends...but it might bring you new friends ....among the nurses and doctors at the hospital...Or solitude apartment in the basement if the leasson bypasses you 😇🤪😎 so pick your trills carefully 😉

3 minutes ago, meepmeepmayer said:

Yes that's exactly the lesson. Couldn't have said it any better:efee47c9c8: I'm serious. If you go 35 with a V8 that shouldn't even do that, it's clear you need a wheel where 40 is far away from any power limits. Or where 40 is at least achievable with no problem or possible danger. Ideally in a perfect world, one would ride a wheel at 50% of what it can do most of the time.

So, V10(F), Tesla, or a nice 18L or msX. Somehow the 18L seems the right one for you to me (more urban/commute environment?), but you and your wallet have to know:efee8319ab:

Power = safety (unless it makes you an irresponsile speed demon with no self control). Because power keeps you upright.

And of course (full face) helmet, real good wrist and knee guards (and maybe more like a motorcycle jacket) is important at such speeds.

Funny you have this advice, I did just that. Upgraded from Inmotion vV8 8 to KS18L. No to ride much faster but safer. My 2 real crashes so far has been on my Inmotion V8. 

My KS18L just make me feel so much safer but still....You have seen this pic before 😊 I wear the POC underneath my green mc jacket.

But I got new gloves...green/yellow of course.

vpd-2-0-spine-jacket-front.jpg.3f5c170cd4520c2b8db8137741793333.jpg20181004_174708.thumb.jpg.daf7ae8eb016613158b8cafd703423ca.jpg

10 hours ago, Scatcat said:

Pedal angle will not be a problem. The GT16 has angled pedals that looks like they are at least at the same angle as the MSX. It takes a bit of feet conditioning to get used to, but that part is already done in spades.

Ohh great, had no idea GT peddles was that aggressively angled, all good then and can enjoy right away which I am pretty certain you will.

Especially if you like speed, even safe speeding with some margins. :D

On 11/20/2018 at 7:46 PM, meepmeepmayer said:

@Unventor Can you estimate what your entire protective gear cost? Probably the price of a nice wheel. Still worth it.

Well it is just an estimated cost..in euros 

Flexmeter wrist guards 85 (got a 2nd set for 55)

Tsg Pass helmet 205

TSG Solid helmet (alternative) 60

POC DH jacket 330

Skaters  beginners pack knee/elbow/wrist 50

MC pullover trousers with padding 55

MC pullover jacket,green 60

Gloves for fall/early winter 20

MC hardshell backpack 15

Magshine 1600 lumen headlight with tail light too 70

Incomming Ruroc helmet with by audio and transition gogles 430

....It adds up...But as I view it it only take one hard accident and your life is worth what? And at what pain?

But but but... safetygear is no substitute for using witts and your brain. However responsible you ride you cannot ensure other in traffic do the same. Here is where safety gear comes into play.

Just imho and almost 40+ years as bicycle rider lessons learned.

Note: I am considering a Ruroc helmet as I view the modular build up appeals more and more to me. Hmmm Black Friday ...maybe. Ordered it 4300ish sen or 430 euro.

And a large pedal set for Kingsong incomming too. 

10 hours ago, meepmeepmayer said:

Thank you for the input! I actually ended up going with a V10 to replace the V8 mostly bc of cost and wanting to stick to 16" for now. I'm still rather new to EUCs and I don't want to change too much just yet. The next wheel up would have been the Tesla and I have never owned a Gotway wheel before. Didn't have the money regardless. 

I was actually saving for a Z10 early, next year bc I own a few Ninebot products and it seems uniquely awesome, but that will have to wait a little longer. 

My main use for the wheel is to commute to my bus stop which is currently a couple of miles away. I went with the V8 bc of weight, footprint, water resistance (Seattle!), motor cut off button (buses and stairs) and cost (other choice was the KingSong 14D and just chose the bigger wheel without much reason, haha). 

Really hoping the V10 doesn't make my life hell on the bus. Hopefully the benefits will outweigh the increase weight and footprint. Looking forward to seeing how the 2.5" wheel handles these trails around here. I'm also really excited about the larger pedals!

• 3 weeks later...

I just got a face plant yesterday due to a bad KS16 wheel making strange clunking noise prior to riding. Can't emphasize enough about protective gear. The wheel power got cut off. In a split of a second, all I remember before the face plant is that my eyes were staring at some concrete. 3 points on the body was impacted--knee, hand and face. My helmet saved my face. Lesson learned: Never ride a wheel with any suspected problems. Always wear protective gear, because face plant happens in a split of second giving you zilch time to react. 

23 hours ago, scubadragosan said:

I just got a face plant yesterday due to a bad KS16 wheel making strange clunking noise prior to riding. Can't emphasize enough about protective gear. The wheel power got cut off. In a split of a second, all I remember before the face plant is that my eyes were staring at some concrete. 3 points on the body was impacted--knee, hand and face. My helmet saved my face. Lesson learned: Never ride a wheel with any suspected problems. Always wear protective gear, because face plant happens in a split of second giving you zilch time to react. 

Yes, you're already halfway to the ground before you even register the wheel has cut out.

On 11/20/2018 at 7:48 PM, Electroman said:

Ohh great, had no idea GT peddles was that aggressively angled, all good then and can enjoy right away which I am pretty certain you will.

Especially if you like speed, even safe speeding with some margins. :D

It depends a bit on wether you keep the hard silicone plastic buffer in shape. It is one of those pesky little details that look better on paper than in real life. While they add a bit of cushion when you go up or down curbs and so on, they wear out too quickly. Add new ones and the angle gets a bit more acute, have worn out buffers and the angle gets flatter.

On 12/8/2018 at 6:03 PM, scubadragosan said:

I just got a face plant yesterday due to a bad KS16 wheel making strange clunking noise prior to riding. 

Funny you should mention that. my KS16s is having the same problem.  Have you traced the problem?  I think I have.  My problem is the hall effect sensor wires where they enter the control board.  If I wiggle them I can alternately kill the wheel or fix it, depending on which state it was in prior to the wiggle.  Unfortunately, this connection in not the typical plug/socket type.  Its something else with some silicon dobbed on it.  Im going to remove the control board (for the second time today !!!) and see what can be done.

On 12/8/2018 at 12:03 PM, scubadragosan said:

I've parked and possibly junked my S1 due to a metallic clunking sound, and it has already chucked me twice recently.

I don't have the best looking face, but I still want to leave it the way it is.  To minimize the risk of more face plants, I have traded in my (2) KS16B (I think they're 'B') upgrading them to KS16S. Whatever the issues/problems with the KS16B are, I am going to leave them to the technicians to figure out. I had them for almost 2 years, had a lot of fun and rode them almost daily. One time, during the process of changing the tire at 3,000 miles, after removing the outer shell, I notice a thick black cable running from the center hub of the wheel and then it's connected to the battery. This thick black cable had some wear and tear on it because it looked like it was situated really anal tight between the shell and the hub. That's as far as I wanted to deal with the mechanics. What might have caused the clunking or any weird noise would be second guessing. It could take days and more expertise to diagnose these problems. To have a face plant on a flat concrete surface was not exactly "face" saving as I felt like the star of the show. But I can't imagine having a face plant on any uneven surface where objects might have jabbed at your face such as a tree branch, a rock.. With my new KS16S coming, the journey and the fun goes on....

Well, from my recent experience I would say that if you have any problems like:

• Clunky noises.
  • Instability or oscillations.
  • The wheel turning off unexpectedly or not turning on.
  • Unprovoked cutouts.

Even if the problem "goes away", you shouldn't ride the wheel unless you actually know what caused the problem in the first place. Because you can almost be murphy-style sure of the problem coming back as bad or worse at the worst possible moment, like when you go really fast, or have a car two meters behind you.

As Marty said in another thread:

4 hours ago, Marty Backe said:

Our wheels are such simple devices (a battery, motor, and control board) that if a peculiar behavior develops, take that as a sign that something ominous is forthcoming.

Unlike our mult-wheel brethren, we can't just wait for the ultimate failure to occur before addressing it, because that can mean a faceplant.

For such simple devices, ANY behavior out of the ordinary is a big red flashing warning sign to immediately stop riding and definitely find and fix the cause. There's no "Let's see what happens..." on a self-balancing device. You wouldn't let a plane fly and just see if that strange creaking sound at the wings gets worse...

16 hours ago, meepmeepmayer said:

As Marty said in another thread:

For such simple devices, ANY behavior out of the ordinary is a big red flashing warning sign to immediately stop riding and definitely find and fix the cause. There's no "Let's see what happens..." on a self-balancing device. You wouldn't let a plane fly and just see if that strange creaking sound at the wings gets worse...

I can fly I can flyyyyyyyyyyyyaaaaaaah!

7 minutes ago, Scatcat said:

I can fly I can flyyyyyyyyyyyyaaaaaaah!

The wings suddenly falling off a plane is my go-to analogy for a EUC losing balance. At least in a plane you get some time to consider while plummeting to your death. But the EUC won't kill you with 99.999% certainty, so that's something;)

2 hours ago, meepmeepmayer said:

The wings suddenly falling off a plane is my go-to analogy for a EUC losing balance. At least in a plane you get some time to consider while plummeting to your death. But the EUC won't kill you with 99.999% certainty, so that's something;)

So more like a heli crash then, unless you lose the rotor of course, then you're toast. But if you lose motor power, you have at least _some_ chance of making it out alive.

Archived