Strange noise in my KINGSONG 18S

Bambino

My kingsong has a strange noise in the wheel...

I can ride it, but i dont now what is this...

I made a video...

I open the wheel... clean everything and dont see nothing wrong, but the noise is the same...

Can some one help?

I open the wheel and take this photos...

could it be some bearing? I would reach for the supplier IMO but maybe a more knowledgeable person might be more into this. I come to this suggestion as it is random noise with no load if I understood correctly, while there are no apparent scratches on the motor so it should be between the shaft and the motor's moving parts (assuming you checked it's not rubbing to anywhere with the chassis before you opened). I never opened a motor, but I read here that it's a very delicate process. the continuous noise I guess it's normal after some use as bearings loosen a bit and the magnetism generates a vibration (i.e. sound), at least that's what I can picture it comes from and all electric motors and EUCs tend to get that continuous motor sound slightly louder after some use.

Can you identify that noise at the same position of the motor as it was not clear on the video?

Did you hear the noise after disassembling? I just notice a slight clean area on the tire that might be rubbing somewhere on the chassisimage.png.427ea3b207d994d9e80f234c95241154.png

To be sure what makes this sound you have to remove both sides of motor cover (this black plate). The bearing are in the motor cover and you can move them around to check if the bearing are the reason of this sound. You should look inside the motor if there is any part of wires or magnetic coils can scratch the cover.

This is picture inside the motor of KS16. It looks similar.

ks16inside.jpg

The bearings are well sealed from dirt from outside.  However, It is possible to damage the seals when you get something wrapped hard around the axle.  I found this out when I ran over my leash and it wrapped around both axles. Once the seal is damaged, dust and grit can enter the bearing and start to wear it out.  I pulled both my bearing out of the shells, removed all four seals and used a can of brake cleaner to remove all the old grease and grime.  I will repack them and put the good seals on the outside, or buy some new ones.

BUT. Your sound is not like mine.  Mine was more a gritty feel when turning the wheel by hand. I honestly can't think what that sound is.

this is what I would want to know if it were my wheel:

1. Does it happen when the wheel is in the same position each time?

2. If 1. Is true, does it happen every time?

3. Does it happen at slow rotation or fast rotation, or both?

4. If one version of 3. Is true, does it happen every time?

5. Does it happen, now that you have removed the wheel form the shell?

18 hours ago, IPS Malta said:

Can you identify that noise at the same position of the motor as it was not clear on the video?

Yes, in the same position +-...

18 hours ago, IPS Malta said:

Did you hear the noise after disassembling? I just notice a slight clean area on the tire that might be rubbing

No... i didnt hear any noise after ... 

15 hours ago, Smoother said:

1. Does it happen when the wheel is in the same position each time?

yes... more or less in same position...

2. If 1. Is true, does it happen every time?

no, not every time... sometime when i start i hear the sound, then its desapear... but, when i ride a lot, in the end i star to hear it again...

If one version of 3. Is true, does it happen every time?

see above...

5. Does it happen, now that you have removed the wheel form the shell?

I try that... didnt hear any sound when removed the wheel... but i dont see any place where the wheel is scratching... the scratchs that it has, are old from a previous problem solved (lose screws in the motor shell)

I think there is something inside the motor shell... Someone can sugest a video or give me especial advices to do that?

Thanks for all

15 hours ago, KS Poland said:

To be sure what makes this sound you have to remove both sides of motor cover (this black plate). The bearing are in the motor cover and you can move them around to check if the bearing are the reason of this sound. You should look inside the motor if there is any part of wires or magnetic coils can scratch the cover.

This is picture inside the motor of KS16. It looks similar.

ks16inside.jpg

I will do this.

Thanks for the help.

Unfortunately I cannot think what that noise is.  Sorry.

if you take the motor apart:

mark each shell so you can reassemble the same way.  If removing the rotor mark the magnet ring so it too goes back the same way.

The shell on the wired side exposes the motor wire connections and all the zip ties holding the wires close to the rotor and away from the shell.  The shell on the other side exposes the wires going to the Hall effect sensors, and the associated zip ties . These zip ties are essential to keep the wires from rubbing against the shell.  But the zip ties also should not touch the shell.

sometimes it's easy to pull the shell off the axle, sometimes not.  Try A LOT of wiggling.  Sometimes, just the right angle on  a tight fitting shell, and suddenly it pops off.  I had to use a bearing puller on one side, and then it slipped right on again afterwards. :huh:

DO NOT BEND THE SHELLS.

Once one shell is off, the rotor will stick itself to the magnets LIKE GLUE!! If you need to remove the rotor completely from the magnets, it will take a lot of force.  Watch your fingers! If you get them between the rotor and the magnets YOU WILL BE SORRY, and there may be blood.

if you want to examine the magnets for signs of scraping, you will have to pull the rotor out.  If help is available use it, but not your wife or girlfriend if you want the relationship to last.  that rotor fights like an angry wild cat, to stay where it is.

when reinstalling the rotor be careful. When the two parts gets close they will jump at each other like long lost lovers.  More blood may be shed if you're not careful (use thick gloves) 

dont worry about aligning the rotor when re assembling.  The shells are an exact fit and they will center the rotor automatically, once both are in place.  You will have to be forceful with the second one, as centering this one requires ripping the rotor off the magnets, and it won't want to let go.

Those magnets are powerful, keep all iron based particles away, or you will be chasing bits of iron dust around and around the ring of magnets for hours, ask me how I know. :whistling:

GOOD LUCK

• 4 months later...
  • 1 month later...
On 5/21/2018 at 6:45 AM, Bambino said:

Hello

Problem solved. No need to open the wheel... i clean everything and the noise stoped.

thanks to all.

What did you clean and how? Mine is making a similar noise. Was it dirt or trash around the axel?

Archived