how to not break a new 1400$ wheel

now its a weird move that i have never tried a euc before 

i buy a high end model that isnt the most sturdy 

and i saw a thread about some pretty fatal lhits a tesla where the side panels where destroyed and that

i rather not want to happen to my new 1400 dollar euc that i have worked hard for 

so does anyone have any tips to make break after an hour of getting it?

Put it in some neopren suit. Or cover it with some of the foam stripes... Should be enough protection for the "beginning" scratches at low speeds.

Also a leash can help. But never hold the leash in your hand - it will hinder your balancing. Put it loosely in your pocket and you'll have sone chance to grab it when the wheel goes off...

Once you go faster and you happen to have an incident it'll just break and you can do nothing against it but praying for some good fortune.

So just go as fast as you feel 110% sure und comfortable ?

22 minutes ago, Chriull said:

Put it in some neopren suit. Or cover it with some of the foam stripes... Should be enough protection for the "beginning" scratches at low speeds.

Also a leash can help. But never hold the leash in your hand - it will hinder your balancing. Put it loosely in your pocket and you'll have sone chance to grab it when the wheel goes off...

Once you go faster and you happen to have an incident it'll just break and you can do nothing against it but praying for some good fortune.

So just go as fast as you feel 110% sure und comfortable ?

affirmative :efee8319ab:.  I will make my euc look like a hovering pillow 

here is a blueprint of my work in progress prototype 

Fresh Paint-2018.01.06-12.47.41.jpg

you should think about the wheel protection only if you care about cosmetics (for example, if you are concerned with its re-sell value). if your only concern is wheel's structural integrity - most likely you don't have to do anything, it is not easy to break the wheel's shell - and it is not likely to happen from simple drops which occur during the learning stage - all you are going to have are scratches, which (in my view) make your wheel look better, like a veteran :)

much more important is to think about your own protection - don't ride it without wrist/knee/elbow pads.

19 hours ago, trya said:

you should think about the wheel protection only if you care about cosmetics (for example, if you are concerned with its re-sell value). if your only concern is wheel's structural integrity - most likely you don't have to do anything, it is not easy to break the wheel's shell - and it is not likely to happen from simple drops which occur during the learning stage - all you are going to have are scratches, which (in my view) make your wheel look better, like a veteran :)

much more important is to think about your own protection - don't ride it without wrist/knee/elbow pads.

I think i need to protect it i need this to work far into the future and it will be long time till i can buy new one prefferably i will use it for over 2 years at least

i have bought kneepads elbowpads wristguards and a helmet so i think should be fine but im still making it look like. A pillow 

6 minutes ago, Shad0z said:

i have bought kneepads elbowpads wristguards and a helmet so i think should be fine but im still making it look like. A pillow i need this wheelto work for a few years or more 

Every high speed crash gives you a chance to destroy the wheel - the chassis are not strong enough to handle the impact. With some luck the internals (mainboard, batteries) will survive. For the chassis itself you should be prepared for some tinkerung or replacement. Or best would be to have no high speed accidents!

54 minutes ago, Chriull said:

Every high speed crash gives you a chance to destroy the wheel - the chassis are not strong enough to handle the impact. With some luck the internals (mainboard, batteries) will survive. For the chassis itself you should be prepared for some tinkerung or replacement. Or best would be to have no high speed accidents!

i will try to make my learnign curve as smooth as possible but its still a euc so its not gonna go smooth totally but i will try

13 hours ago, meepmeepmayer said:

Do not forget to put something on the underside of the pedals and pedal arms. It will only be cosmetic, but you can scratch those up really bad on the first few spin outs. 

Scratches? Protection? I happen to like my razor sharp pedals.:P

As seen in one of that Polish girl videos, lay it carefully on its side on a soft surface (towel) and observe which parts naturally touch the ground.  Then push the edge down in several places to see what else will contact the ground when it's spinning to a stop, after a fall. Now, stand it up, and, with the motor off, carefully roll the whole machine forward until some part of the shell contacts the ground.  Make a note of this area too. Now continue rolling the whole machine forward, noting which other parts of the shell contact the ground.  Roll it all the way over, past the handle , and back to the tire in the rear.  All the places that touched the towel will touch the ground in one fall or another.

get some of that ribbed, "baby safe" tape that most people use, and cover these places up.  Try to be artistic, don't make a pigs breakfast of it.  If you do it well, it my look rather nice.  I did a credible job on my Ks16 and I  feel no desire to " make it pretty again" by ripping it off.  No one has ever looked at it and said, "what's all that crap stuck on it?"  It looks factory.

ORDER YOUR PROTECTIVE PADDING NOW, BEFORE YOUR WHEEL ARRVES.  YOU WONT HAVE THE WILL POWER TO WAIT, IF THE WHEEL ARRIVES FIRST.

Get it from the Russan EUC seller. It will get there quickly that way. Don't forget the double sided tape.

6 hours ago, Smoother said:

As seen in one of that Polish girl videos, lay it carefully on its side on a soft surface (towel) and observe which parts naturally touch the ground.  Then push the edge down in several places to see what else will contact the ground when it's spinning to a stop, after a fall. Now, stand it up, and, with the motor off, carefully roll the whole machine forward until some part of the shell contacts the ground.  Make a note of this area too. Now continue rolling the whole machine forward, noting which other parts of the shell contact the ground.  Roll it all the way over, past the handle , and back to the tire in the rear.  All the places that touched the towel will touch the ground in one fall or another.

get some of that ribbed, "baby safe" tape that most people use, and cover these places up.  Try to be artistic, don't make a pigs breakfast of it.  If you do it well, it my look rather nice.  I did a credible job on my Ks16 and I  feel no desire to " make it pretty again" by ripping it off.  No one has ever looked at it and said, "what's all that crap stuck on it?"  It looks factory.

ORDER YOUR PROTECTIVE PADDING NOW, BEFORE YOUR WHEEL ARRVES.  YOU WONT HAVE THE WILL POWER TO WAIT, IF THE WHEEL ARRIVES FIRST.

Get it from the Russan EUC seller. It will get there quickly that way. Don't forget the double sided tape.

I have some other foam material i think that will work too but for training i dont care about the looks it just has to survive the training after that i can  think about making it looks cool and be protected and i can easily see wich parts will hit the ground without even having the wheel so i dont think i need to lay it down to observe witch parts hit the ground

I personally think the baby foam looks odd with the groves.

but my wheel will end up looking ridiculous when im still training after that i can find something That i can use 

i dont mind scratches as long as its not deep extreme scratches 

but what i do mind is a craked sheel...

I think using a learning belt is a pretty good idea if you are keen to protect your wheel (and your ankles). I don't think it hinders learning, as waving the arms to balance isn't the method of choice to controlled riding anyways. It might even speed up learning the right reflexes to balance by twisting the wheel instead of waving the arms.

16 hours ago, Mono said:

I think using a learning belt is a pretty good idea if you are keen to protect your wheel (and your ankles). I don't think it hinders learning, as waving the arms to balance isn't the method of choice to controlled riding anyways. It might even speed up learning the right reflexes to balance by twisting the wheel instead of waving the arms.

I have thought of using a strap but i think the important thing is not to pull on it for balance

but i will defenetly use a strap

Anything works, just tape it to the wheel, and you're good. Baby foam is good for semi-permanent padding if you care about the looks, too, but for beginner protection, all that matters is that the wheel does not get scratched too much or the shell breaks (in the worst case).

I haven't gone the neoprene suit path but I think that's the best idea I've heard of padding a wheel up.

And, really, padding a wheel up even just a little take a lot of power out of the crash, and you will crash a lot starting off, and as you get better you will have fewer crashes but those crashes are generally of a higher speed.

As insane as it sounds, even crashing <gracefully> is a skill you get much better at after a while, which gives you an idea of how ludicrously unstable EUCs are.

Expect to crash often, crash hard (occasionally), especially with a big powerful wheel such as the Tesla. I don't think anyone gets into EUCs unless they budget quite a bit for crashing, although I'm sure there's a fair number of practical riders that buy a small 14 incher for commuting and call it a day.

On 1/7/2018 at 3:58 PM, Shad0z said:

I have thought of using a strap but i think the important thing is not to pull on it for balance

In particular not constantly pull on it. Though I think even that is not a big deal for some period of training time, as long as you don't get completely used to pull on the strap.

Archived