My Safety Gear Update

I was looking at all of my Triple 8 stuff and noticed something else yesterday, all of the Velcro is double stitched! My cheaper set of pads had the problem of coming apart, so I had to restitch the Velcro myself, kind of a pain.

Good quality.

Update, I've been wearing my "elasticated sleave optional" elbow and knee pads, in the "velcro only" mode for several trips now.  Other than being slightly more prone to rotating, they work just fine.  Not having to slide these things on, from the end of the respective limb, makes it so much easier to suit up; especially if you have driven to your wheeling location., or you are wearing bulky clothes

Just don't forget they have to work in a crash situation, too.

Against the first impact, and then against abrasion from sliding along the ground. So they shouldn't slide off their place too quickly. Can't judge if the removed sleeve changes anything regarding that, just an idea.

14 minutes ago, meepmeepmayer said:

Just don't forget they have to work in a crash situation, too.

Against the first impact, and then against abrasion from sliding along the ground. So they shouldn't slide off their place too quickly. Can't judge if the removed sleeve changes anything regarding that, just an idea.

Yes, @Smoother, please do a crash test :D

2 hours ago, Marty Backe said:

Yes, @Smoother, please do a crash test :D

I'll get right on that, just as soon as you test your detachable face saver. :roflmao:  Yes, @meepmeepmayer that's a good point; undesired rotation could be an issue, but at least the initial, and usually biggest impact, would be covered.  I bounce about the same amount as a dead cat.  However, since discovering this option, I am using my knee pads for the first time since I don't know when, and the elbow pads fit a lot easier over a bulky jacket; so they get more use too.

And yes, use of the sleeve really does keep them firmly in place.  So if use of the sleave is not problematic, I will choose to use them.  AS @steve454 mentioned somewhere, the sleeves are more comfortable when wearing short sleeve shirts and shorts, as the straps can cut into the skin a bit. 

I was less thinking of rotation and simply about the things sliding along your legs (off your knees) or arm (off the elbow) due to friction, until your body is still in motion but the protectors are no longer where they should be (knee, ellbow) = enjoy being grated = ouch.

9 minutes ago, meepmeepmayer said:

I was less thinking of rotation and simply about the things sliding along your legs (off your knees) or arm (off the elbow) due to friction, until your body is still in motion but the protectors are no longer where they should be (knee, ellbow) = enjoy being grated = ouch.

Oh! Yeah, that does sound bad.  That's a really good point. I could see that happening, especially at speed.  There goes that convenient theory.  Back to the elastic (unless incompatible with winter coat).

It's probably less likely than one would believe. And the guards still will cushion the impact fully (important for no broken bones = prevention of the really bad stuff) and help with a part of the sliding. It would just suck, if you think about it, to have your knee guards perfectly work but then they slide off a second too early and you ruined your pants or have a smaller wound anyways. This is more of a theoretical thought, not sure how realistic (you'd have to be 30+km/h as well, I guess), just came to my mind when I tried the fit of my new knee guards (open back = no sleeve:efeebb3acc:).

22 minutes ago, meepmeepmayer said:

It's probably less likely than one would believe. And the guards still will cushion the impact fully (important for no broken bones = prevention of the really bad stuff) and help with a part of the sliding. It would just suck, if you think about it, to have your knee guards perfectly work but then they slide off a second too early and you ruined your pants or have a smaller wound anyways. This is more of a theoretical thought, not sure how realistic (you'd have to be 30+km/h as well, I guess), just came to my mind when I tried the fit of my new knee guards (open back = no sleeve:efeebb3acc:).

I slid a few feet when I came off my 14c and that was no more than 25kph.  Your warning is valid.  I'd sent that junk back and get some REAL pads, if I were you. Take @meepmeepmayer s advice. :roflmao:

4 hours ago, Smoother said:

Oh! Yeah, that does sound bad.  That's a really good point. I could see that happening, especially at speed.  There goes that convenient theory.  Back to the elastic (unless incompatible with winter coat).

The way that the knee pads are shaped, there's no way that they are going to slide down your leg - not with the Velcro straps secured.

1 hour ago, Marty Backe said:

The way that the knee pads are shaped, there's no way that they are going to slide down your leg - not with the Velcro straps secured.

Now I'm really confused. You make a good point too.  Maybe you could do another one of your fantastic videos to demonstrate.  No need to launch yourself from an EUC; simply have your wife drag you down the road on the end of a rope behind your truck.  You can put the camera in the pickup bed.B) lots of "ups" for that one.

10 hours ago, Smoother said:

Now I'm really confused. You make a good point too.  Maybe you could do another one of your fantastic videos to demonstrate.  No need to launch yourself from an EUC; simply have your wife drag you down the road on the end of a rope behind your truck.  You can put the camera in the pickup bed.B) lots of "ups" for that one.

Like and subscribe! 

• 4 months later...

Regarding protection/ sliding pads there is another aspect. 

I have crashed on motor biked more times than i should to be fully functional.

My first crashes was with a simple racing leather suit with soft protectors (not even tempo foam) and while it did its job of wearing out the asphalt ? the lining (which was nylon'ish fabric) had slid up my arms during crash ( going around 90km/h in a sharp bend on track, where another rider lost grip and pushed my bike down) and the NYLON burnt my skin severely as it slid rapidly during the crash (skin suit also was a tad too large on under/fore arms)

I was just thinking about the folded in sleeve, if the outside is nylon (or other voven plastic) and the inside is "skin friendly", folding it over might give similar result in a high speed crash like 40-50km/h.

Same thing about wearing protective gear on the outside of clothes apply. Inner layer should always be non abrasive, cotton is a good pick, to prevent burns. I mean you wear the gear to protect your limbs, not your clothes (i guess ? )

After a few more crashes where suit was beyond repair i saved up cash and bought fitting suit with tempo foam + hard knee/shoulder/elbow caps. Never tried falling on that one though ? it would be ideal for high speed runs, but far to heavy and hot for general use, but im sure if some protective gear police start making rules, they will guide for full body suit.

Ps 

Took a right hand turn fall in 16km/h on ninebot mini plus  a week ago in gravel and grass (not even asphalt) (was trying to make a high speed wide skid...ninebot did not like it) without protection. Road rash, flesh deep on right elbow and superficial light bleeding on hands and rest of elbows/knees (feels like when i was bicycling at 10 years age again lol) though it healed up nicely in a week (just no pigment left on elbow as skin went bye bye), just kept it ad dry as possible. With that said i do NOT wanna fall in 40-50km/h on ASPHALT, without proper gear, on my incoming tesla ?

Archived