My Safety Gear Update

Another nice video by Marty "The EUC Pope" Backe:efee8319ab:

"Wear your wrist guards" Yep!

--

I also got some skateboarding/longboarding/halfpipe boarding kneed guards that you put on around the leg instead of having ta take the shoes off and slide your leg through a sleeve. Definitely worth it, so much more convenient, even if the things look much more massive and bulky, they're more pleasant to wear than slide-throughs. It's called "open back design" sometimes.

They're also much more sturdy and made for impacts from heights, so I hope they'll do the job (best to never find out). Certainly were expensive.

Got these: TSG Force 4. There's a Force 5 (newer) but that model is even more expensive, and the difference wasn't too big, only a little bigger hard plastic shell as far as I can tell.

After crashing at 15-19 mph, I'm pretty sure that if I repeat such a crash I'll at least have road rash if I'm lucky, broken bones and roadrash if I'm not. At those 20 mph + speeds, it's motorcycle gear.

Interestingly, the last time I landed on my wrist (bad EUC jump over PVC pipe) it took three months to heal, and even now it's not quite all there.

Where's @Marty Backe 's full-face helmet? :) 

13 hours ago, meepmeepmayer said:

Another nice video by Marty "The EUC Pope" Backe:efee8319ab:

"Wear your wrist guards" Yep!

--

I also got some skateboarding/longboarding/halfpipe boarding kneed guards that you put on around the leg instead of having ta take the shoes off and slide your leg through a sleeve. Definitely worth it, so much more convenient, even if the things look much more massive and bulky, they're more pleasant to wear than slide-throughs. It's called "open back design" sometimes.

They're also much more sturdy and made for impacts from heights, so I hope they'll do the job (best to never find out). Certainly were expensive.

Got these: TSG Force 4. There's a Force 5 (newer) but that model is even more expensive, and the difference wasn't too big, only a little bigger hard plastic shell as far as I can tell.

You sure can drop a lot of change, mula, dinero, etc. on even simple things like knee pads.

11 hours ago, LanghamP said:

After crashing at 15-19 mph, I'm pretty sure that if I repeat such a crash I'll at least have road rash if I'm lucky, broken bones and roadrash if I'm not. At those 20 mph + speeds, it's motorcycle gear.

Interestingly, the last time I landed on my wrist (bad EUC jump over PVC pipe) it took three months to heal, and even now it's not quite all there.

Where's @Marty Backe 's full-face helmet? :) 

You'll see my new quasi-full face helmet on my next ride video this Saturday. You won't like it from a safety perspective, but it works for me :)

Good vid. 

For me it's wrist guards and knee pads. I have the Triple 8 , non-pull on type (3 straps that wrap around) and mine are MEDIUM and very tight. They absolutely saved me some damage over the holidays and have a small gash in my right palm protector from the fall!

And I also just received the knee pads and elbow pads set (park set) in LARGE, but have not tried them on yet. They appear slightly beefier than my first set.

On 1/3/2018 at 7:54 PM, Marty Backe said:

After watching your first review of the Pro-Tec pads I bought the same ones.  Having to take off my shoes for the knee pads and the fact that I don't ride that fast meant I never wore the knee pads.  But you gave me an idea in this latest video about the Triple 8 pads with the open back.  You mentioned that the elastic straps with the velcro might be just for holding them in place while fastening the main straps.  So I took scissors and cut the sleeve off of the Pro-Tec pads and tried them on.  They seem to work fine with just the two main straps.  Haven't ridden with them yet, will try them tomorrow if not freezing weather.  If they work well I will do the same with the elbow pads.  The elastic sleeve makes it very difficult to pull on over my jacket sleeves.   But still, the Pro-Tec pads are very wide and bulky, the Triple 8 pads look much better in terms of proportions, and I will probably get them.

Are those the KP22's?

14 hours ago, da5id said:

Are those Triple Eight "Hired Hands" @Marty Backe?

Are the knee pads KP Pro or KP 22 (or KP Street)?

Triple Eight Saver Series Wristsaver II and KP 22 knee pads

9 hours ago, steve454 said:

After watching your first review of the Pro-Tec pads I bought the same ones.  Having to take off my shoes for the knee pads and the fact that I don't ride that fast meant I never wore the knee pads.  But you gave me an idea in this latest video about the Triple 8 pads with the open back.  You mentioned that the elastic straps with the velcro might be just for holding them in place while fastening the main straps.  So I took scissors and cut the sleeve off of the Pro-Tec pads and tried them on.  They seem to work fine with just the two main straps.  Haven't ridden with them yet, will try them tomorrow if not freezing weather.  If they work well I will do the same with the elbow pads.  The elastic sleeve makes it very difficult to pull on over my jacket sleeves.   But still, the Pro-Tec pads are very wide and bulky, the Triple 8 pads look much better in terms of proportions, and I will probably get them.

Are those the KP22's?

KP 22's.

Please let me know if they still stay on the legs while riding with just the straps. And also let me know how the elbow pads work too. I wonder if it might be hard to secure them without the sleeve. All the elbow pads seems to have sleeves whereas the knee pads don't.

14 hours ago, steve454 said:

After watching your first review of the Pro-Tec pads I bought the same ones.  Having to take off my shoes for the knee pads and the fact that I don't ride that fast meant I never wore the knee pads.  But you gave me an idea in this latest video about the Triple 8 pads with the open back.  You mentioned that the elastic straps with the velcro might be just for holding them in place while fastening the main straps.  So I took scissors and cut the sleeve off of the Pro-Tec pads and tried them on.  They seem to work fine with just the two main straps.  Haven't ridden with them yet, will try them tomorrow if not freezing weather.  If they work well I will do the same with the elbow pads.  The elastic sleeve makes it very difficult to pull on over my jacket sleeves. 

That's a BRILLIANT idea. I stopped wearing my knee pads for the same reason, and sometimes struggle with the elbow pads over a thicker jacket or sweater.  I'm going to cut off the elasticated tubes as well.  Thanks for that. 

EDIT.  Before cutting them off, I'll just collapse them flat and then use the Velcro straps.  That way, if the straps alone aren't satisfactory for some reason, I haven't ruined some mostly good pads.

EDIT 2 . Wearing the knee pads around the house using just the Velcro, seems to work just fine.  Sorted; two types of pads in one.  I'm starting to suspect that this two way option was always part of the design.  I've often thought the Velcro was unnecessary once the elasticated band was pulled in place.

6 hours ago, Marty Backe said:

KP 22's.

Please let me know if they still stay on the legs while riding with just the straps. And also let me know how the elbow pads work too. I wonder if it might be hard to secure them without the sleeve. All the elbow pads seems to have sleeves whereas the knee pads don't.

Will do.  It's not that cold today, so I'll try them today.

1 hour ago, Smoother said:

That's a BRILLIANT idea. I stopped wearing my knee pads for the same reason, and sometimes struggle with the elbow pads over a thicker jacket or sweater.  I'm going to cut off the elasticated tubes as well.  Thanks for that. 

EDIT.  Before cutting them off, I'll just collapse them flat and then use the Velcro straps.  That way, if the straps alone aren't satisfactory for some reason, I haven't ruined some mostly good pads.

EDIT 2 . Wearing the knee pads around the house using just the Velcro, seems to work just fine.  Sorted; two types of pads in one.  I'm starting to suspect that this two way option was always part of the design.  I've often thought the Velcro was unnecessary once the elasticated band was pulled in place.

Thanks for that fantastic idea, now I don't have to risk ruining the elbow pads.  I actually like the sleeves on them when wearing just a short sleeve shirt,  just getting them over my jacket is the only hassle.

On 1/3/2018 at 8:54 PM, Marty Backe said:

Great idea Marty!  :cheers: ;)BTW....was that your wife yelling in the background?

38833443554_ee2ac92140_b.jpg

10 hours ago, Marty Backe said:

KP 22's.

Rode for about 30 minutes, they never slipped down or moved on the slightly bumpy dirt trails, they felt a little heavy to me, never having used them before, and felt like they wanted to slide down but never did, I think the concave shape rests on top of the knee cap and prevents them from sliding down if the straps are snug enough.  The Triple 8 KP22's look better, I'm going to get them.

The elbow pads felt good wearing them with the sleeve collapsed, easy to put on by holding  the pad against the side of the car while fastening the straps.  After finishing the ride, took off the knee pads and Flexmeters, checked the app for battery status and other stats, realized the elbow pads were still on, they felt so light without using the sleeves I didn't notice I was still wearing them.

2 hours ago, steve454 said:

Rode for about 30 minutes, they never slipped down or moved on the slightly bumpy dirt trails, they felt a little heavy to me, never having used them before, and felt like they wanted to slide down but never did, I think the concave shape rests on top of the knee cap and prevents them from sliding down if the straps are snug enough.  The Triple 8 KP22's look better, I'm going to get them.

The elbow pads felt good wearing them with the sleeve collapsed, easy to put on by holding  the pad against the side of the car while fastening the straps.  After finishing the ride, took off the knee pads and Flexmeters, checked the app for battery status and other stats, realized the elbow pads were still on, they felt so light without using the sleeves I didn't notice I was still wearing them.

Thanks for your feedback. I agree.

Just completed a 45-mile ride with the elbow pads on sans the the sleeve. Fantastic. I feel stupid for never trying that before. So much better when wearing a jacket!

I do like the KP22's. As you say, the profile is a bit slimmer.

Live and learn ...

Just now, Smoother said:

It really funny how this thread has inspired @steve454 to try something, which inspired me to try something which in turn inspired @Marty Backe the OP to try something.  And countless other readers will discover their own DOH :facepalm: moment when they realise the elasticated sleeves are optional.

:cheers:

21 hours ago, Smoother said:

It really funny how this thread has inspired @steve454 to try something, which inspired me to try something which in turn inspired @Marty Backe the OP to try something.  And countless other readers will discover their own DOH :facepalm: moment when they realise the elasticated sleeves are optional.

21 hours ago, Marty Backe said:

:cheers:

Thanks go out  to @Smoother and @Marty Backe for the great ideas!

3 hours ago, Circuitmage said:

@steve454 I wore mine this weekend and today and do NOT have to take my shoes off to put them on. The butterfly flaps just wrap around my leg and then I put the straps on.

Are yours Pro Tec?  Mine had an elastic sleeve, not butterfly flaps.  I am going to get the Triple 8 KP22's with the butterfly flaps tomorrow.  It looks like Dick's Sporting Goods has them in stock.

Archived