EUC Messenger

Steve Persona

Has anyone ever considered delivering packages like a bike messenger on their euc . I would think it would be better than a bike , more maneuverability , speed , and acceleration than a bike . I live near chicago and am thinking of trying this summer in the downtown. I ride quite often in the street and am very aware of the dangers riding with traffic. I realize it will take time to get used to the congestion of traffic in chicago but think it would be an awesome way to see the city and get paid at the same time. Let me know what everyone thinks and if anyone has tried this yet. 

If you're not concerned with the distance a messenger has to cover in a day, or you have multiple wheels that you can charge on a daily basis, I think it could work. problem is if an establishment doesn't allow you to bring your EUC into their building, you'd have to lock it outside.

There's electric bicycles which work much better as delivery vehicles compared to either bicycles or electric unicycles. 

Interestingly, cities like New York have been banning electric personal vehicles, and specifically e-bikes. 

44 minutes ago, LanghamP said:

Interestingly, cities like New York have been banning electric personal vehicles, and specifically e-bikes. 

True, but they don't enforce it enough (election season, Trump visits/protests) for any of the ever-growing PLEV community to care (care to stop riding at least).

You've already been beaten to the punch @Steve Persona!!

@Citi Wheel caught this guy in our UWS NYC area delivering via MCM4. Another guy in our EUC riding community does deliveries on his Tesla.... just do it! (but make sure to have a fast charger)

1 hour ago, Steve Persona said:

Has anyone ever considered delivering packages like a bike messenger on their euc . 

If you get paid by the hour it's a great idea! All those times that people stop you and ask a dozen questions would make you rich. If you are paid by the delivery those interruptions would really eat into your revenue.

I have tried this for fun for an app service (similar to Uber Eats or Postmates) to see the city and get paid to ride around but never tried it full time. It works well enough provided the following things are true:

1) You can ride in all traffic and pedestrian situations smoothly. Do not even attempt this if you are not 100% in control of your wheel. If you do this on a daily basis you will get in an accident eventually if you do not have enough control and good defensive riding habits. You may be riding 8+ hours a day in all traffic conditions while looking at your phone to take orders and navigate.

2) If planning this as a full-time job, you are comfortable riding in all normal seasonal weather conditions for where you live. Don't quit your day job if you won't be able to deliver in winter/spring because of the snow/rain.

3) You can carry enough stuff while still being able to claim rule #1. You don't really get to examine what is being ordered before accepting. You will get orders for pizza, multiple drinks, etc. Can you come up with a way to carry all of this on a unicycle without impacting your ability to ride it well and not spill the food? This is one of the important places where e-bikes have an advantage.

4) Your unicycle(s) have enough range/charging speed to allow you to use it 8+ hours a day (if full time). My recent range test indicates a KS-16s would only be good for about 2-3 hours before needing to charge. Your riding weight will be heavier when carrying stuff for delivery as well. So you would need to plan your delivery schedule around this limitation plus the charging time for your wheel.

That being said I do manage to make a pretty decent hourly rate while doing this although each regional market is different for how popular these services are. I guess its a good insurance policy for me being unemployed since I know I can make enough to cover all expenses if all else fails :efee8319ab:

I think Im gonna give  it a go this spring . I have a monster and ninebot one and have been thinking of an 18 inch to add to the group. The monster would be great for deliveries as it is very fast and also has an awesome range . I figure you could do a few deliveries in the morning then have a break for lunch while charging. Have never been told I cant plug in when asked politely . People are so interested they seem to always want to help and it doesnt cost much to charge. I just figure I love to ride so much might as well turn it into something that will pay for itself while having fun.Not trying to make a living out off this , just I work 3 12 hr days and have 4 days off a week

5 minutes ago, Steve Persona said:

I think Im gonna give  it a go this spring . I have a monster and ninebot one and have been thinking of an 18 inch to add to the group. The monster would be great for deliveries as it is very fast and also has an awesome range . I figure you could do a few deliveries in the morning then have a break for lunch while charging. Have never been told I cant plug in when asked politely . People are so interested they seem to always want to help and it doesnt cost much to charge. I just figure I love to ride so much might as well turn it into something that will pay for itself while having fun.

I have made enough delivering on my KS-16s plus using it for transportation that it has now paid for itself. Not a bad way to subsidize the hobby.

I have been wanting to explore chicago on euc and this would be a great way to do it and get paid.  My biggest fear would be my safety from the citys crime. Chicago is a pretty rough city but its becoming like that all over it seems.

@electricpen just made one of the best posts on this forum.

I'm going to see if I can cash in come spring, for just a few hours per week. Great way to see the city.

I do have a KS16s and an MSuper, but I think a KS16s would work much better if you were starting out since it's likely you would drop the wheel at some point. Gotways do not crash well.

1 hour ago, electricpen said:

I have made enough delivering on my KS-16s plus using it for transportation that it has now paid for itself. Not a bad way to subsidize the hobby.

Hmm, a lot of the marijuana dispensaries here in San Francisco offer delivery... Small, a lot more easy to carry than a pizza box. :) 

37 minutes ago, who_the said:

Hmm, a lot of the marijuana dispensaries here in San Francisco offer delivery... Small, a lot more easy to carry than a pizza box. :) 

I'm pretty sure they don't use postmates or those types of apps. They probably hire full/part time delivery people and I only do it occasionally not as an actual job. But maybe if you were looking for a job that could work...

Archived