Visiting LA

Michael Vu

So me and 3 other EUC riders will be visiting LA next weekend. I've been roughly planning to ride the 22 mile path from Miramar Park to Santa Monica Beach and also ride Huntington Beach. Also want to ride up to the Hollywood Sign. Any other good riding spots to hit up? Would love to meet up with some of you LA locals to ride around.

https://goo.gl/maps/Cna1dNPBwuF2

1 hour ago, Michael Vu said:

So me and 3 other EUC riders will be visiting LA next weekend. I've been roughly planning to ride the 22 mile path from Miramar Park to Santa Monica Beach and also ride Huntington Beach. Also want to ride up to the Hollywood Sign. Any other good riding spots to hit up? Would love to meet up with some of you LA locals to ride around.

https://goo.gl/maps/Cna1dNPBwuF2

Too bad you weren't going to be in LA on the 6th, then I could have been your tour guide.

When you ride to the Hollywood Sign you will be on trails that are technically only available to foot traffic, although we have ridden it many times. This time of year there are unlikely to be any patrolling rangers. However, these trails are frequented by horse caravans. It is critical that when you approach or are approached by horses that you stop immediately. Basically when they are with ~100 feet of you. Pull off to the side of the trail, dismount your wheel, and take a break while they pass. The EUCs have the capability of disturbing the horses with potentially bad consequences. So we have come to an understanding and give them a wide berth and everyone seems happy. You are technically legal on all of the paved fire access roads.

I have hundreds of miles of Los Angeles area trails scoped out, but realistically you can only accomplish one significant trail per day. I assume you will ride the beach on one day and Griffith Park on another day. I can't imagine packing any more rides in.

The beach ride makes for a great round-trip if you have the wheel with the capacity. If not and you still want to do a round-trip, then you can start at Dockweiler State Beach and either do the south round-trip or the north round-trip. The south has a very different character than the north segment. I would probably lean towards the north loop (25+ miles).

9 hours ago, Marty Backe said:

Too bad you weren't going to be in LA on the 6th, then I could have been your tour guide.

When you ride to the Hollywood Sign you will be on trails that are technically only available to foot traffic, although we have ridden it many times. This time of year there are unlikely to be any patrolling rangers. However, these trails are frequented by horse caravans. It is critical that when you approach or are approached by horses that you stop immediately. Basically when they are with ~100 feet of you. Pull off to the side of the trail, dismount your wheel, and take a break while they pass. The EUCs have the capability of disturbing the horses with potentially bad consequences. So we have come to an understanding and give them a wide berth and everyone seems happy. You are technically legal on all of the paved fire access roads.

I have hundreds of miles of Los Angeles area trails scoped out, but realistically you can only accomplish one significant trail per day. I assume you will ride the beach on one day and Griffith Park on another day. I can't imagine packing any more rides in.

The beach ride makes for a great round-trip if you have the wheel with the capacity. If not and you still want to do a round-trip, then you can start at Dockweiler State Beach and either do the south round-trip or the north round-trip. The south has a very different character than the north segment. I would probably lean towards the north loop (25+ miles).

Thanks for the info Marty! I wish you were able to show us around.

For the Hollywood Sign ride,  I was planning on following the directions laid out by this video. Is there another route that's better?

There are Horse Carriages that go all the steep incline up to the Hollywood Sign? I'll keep your advice in mind though if we do run across them. It is interesting though that you mention that type of behavior from the horses when I've had no issues in Texas riding next to Horse-drawn carriages on downtown city streets. Then again maybe Horses that are trained to be right next to loud cars and trucks would be more calm than Horses not used to that.

31 minutes ago, Michael Vu said:

Thanks for the info Marty! I wish you were able to show us around.

For the Hollywood Sign ride,  I was planning on following the directions laid out by this video. Is there another route that's better?

There are Horse Carriages that go all the steep incline up to the Hollywood Sign? I'll keep your advice in mind though if we do run across them. It is interesting though that you mention that type of behavior from the horses when I've had no issues in Texas riding next to Horse-drawn carriages on downtown city streets. Then again maybe Horses that are trained to be right next to loud cars and trucks would be more calm than Horses not used to that.

No, not Carriages, caravans - which probably isn't the right word. Imagine a line of a dozen horses walking down the trail, each with a rider. These are trail horses, not city carriage horses. The horses can be spooked by an EUC. Most people haven't seen an EUC so you can imagine what a horse might think. The bottom line is that the people who lead these horse 'tours' do not want an EUC operating near the horse. There's a strong likelihood that you will see trail horses.

Yes, the video directions will work for you, and if you follow that route you won't have to worry about horses. But it's such a boring EUC ride compared to what you could do if you start at the Griffith Park.

Here is a Google Earth track that you can use that shows some fantastic trail riding around Griffith Park. You park near the Greek Theater and then ride up to the observatory and check that out. Then you can proceed to the Hollywood Sign and other areas in the park. This track captures a lot of fun riding (25+ miles) and can take you 3 - 4 hours.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/brqm5zkukva4llj/Griffith Park Side Trail.kmz?dl=0

19 hours ago, Michael Vu said:

So me and 3 other EUC riders will be visiting LA next weekend

Sounds like fun! I really enjoyed our ride together. Is Monica riding as well?

21 hours ago, Marty Backe said:

No, not Carriages, caravans - which probably isn't the right word. Imagine a line of a dozen horses walking down the trail, each with a rider. These are trail horses, not city carriage horses. The horses can be spooked by an EUC. Most people haven't seen an EUC so you can imagine what a horse might think. The bottom line is that the people who lead these horse 'tours' do not want an EUC operating near the horse. There's a strong likelihood that you will see trail horses.

Yes, the video directions will work for you, and if you follow that route you won't have to worry about horses. But it's such a boring EUC ride compared to what you could do if you start at the Griffith Park.

Here is a Google Earth track that you can use that shows some fantastic trail riding around Griffith Park. You park near the Greek Theater and then ride up to the observatory and check that out. Then you can proceed to the Hollywood Sign and other areas in the park. This track captures a lot of fun riding (25+ miles) and can take you 3 - 4 hours.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/brqm5zkukva4llj/Griffith Park Side Trail.kmz?dl=0

Ok I see what you mean about the horses. Definitely will follow your advice. And thanks for the track. Hopefully we will have enough time to do a nice ride around Griffin park to Hollywood.

13 hours ago, Rehab1 said:

Sounds like fun! I really enjoyed our ride together. Is Monica riding as well?

No Monica. She is still in Ohio and hasn't ridden ever since the temperature has dropped below 40.

4 hours ago, Michael Vu said:

No Monica. She is still in Ohio and hasn't ridden ever since the temperature has dropped before 40.

Give her my best. I would be satisfied with 40 degrees right now. 

Hey Michael, I am available this weekend and live very close to the Hollywood sign. It would be great to go riding with you, and I can bring some spare vehicles incase we want some variety or run into vehicular snafus. The L.A. River is right next to the sign, and we can swoop down to an outdoor cafe along the river for refreshments. The Santa Monica ride and Huntington beach rides sound totally awesome as well. Let me know in a PM and we can chat there

Archived