Good knee pad padding!

I've had a few small falls on the knee pads that came with my V3 Pro and they did the job ok, but I have now realized they come up short in padding.

On the fall I had while walking my dog 2 months ago (Not doing that anymore) , I had no bruises or cuts , but a significant impact on one knee I am still healing from. It is almost healed.

On my first time out on vacation this week ( another bad decision as I decided to go out at night in a location I wasn't familiar with), I came down on both knees and the thin padding caused the plastic knee plates to cut into both knees with 2" or 3" gashes, one having a dime size gash about 5mm deep with a good gush for a couple days. They both will take a couple weeks to heal but I can walk without a problem (and still have been on my EUC everyday!).

Needless to say, I can see now that cheap knee pads are not the way to go! If they had just a bit more padding, I think both injuries would have been less severe.

I will be ordering a good set soon!

• 3 weeks later...

Many here like and highly rate the Pro-Tek knee and elbow pads. They are fairly cheap and seem to do the job and last well.

I personally have the G-Form Elite knee and elbow pads which operates in a similar fashion to D3O (non-Newtonian reactive protection that is spongy at rest but hardens to your body shape when subjected to shock). They are pricy but are supremely comfortable, can be worn under clothing for discrete protection, and are independently rated for motorcycle grade protection (EU standards).

I used to use super thick extreme skate pads, but switched to Arc'teryx tactical knee pads.  The Arc'teryx ones are more comfortable, go on and off faster, allow a greater range of motion, and seem to protect my knees just as well.

17 hours ago, WARPed1701D said:

non-Newtonian reactive protection that is spongy at rest but hardens to your body shape when subjected to shock

Hi-tech 'smart materials' (non-Newtonian 'super-goo' fluids) can disperse the initial impact and prevent the hard-plastic 'guards' from cutting into your skin. (Me thinks the hard material is mostly for abrasion protection.)

Of course, these are much more expensive than regular foam pads, but if you use them for more than one sport...

I'd keep my eye out for any deals you can find. ;)

17 hours ago, WARPed1701D said:

I personally have the G-Form Elite knee and elbow pads which operates in a similar fashion to D3O

I like the G-Form Pro-X Knee-Shin Guard...

According to their website: works for cycling, motocross, and kayaking?

(You'd think the kayak shell protected your legs, but when you hit a rock it still hurts!) :o

1 hour ago, RayRay said:

I like the G-Form Pro-X Knee-Shin Guard...

Indeed that is a great all in one combo but having seen how much better coverage and thicker padding the Elite knee pads provided over the joint area (plus that coverage extends down the shin a little) I felt they were the better choice. For experienced EUC use I think knee protection needs exceed that of the shin. Plus I wear ankle high walking boots while riding. These combined with the knee pads mean very little of my shin actually remains exposed. 

• 2 months later...

Had my first fall last weekend with my new knee pads. I was not paying attention and was off-roading, going very slow (on my phone at the time) and on one of my slow twists I hit a a tree root or something and just had the usual straight down fall as my feet twisted off.

Anyways, my new Triple8 knee pads and wrist guards worked great. I now have 2 or 3 falls on my hands and the plastic stress guard on the wrist protectors have worked very well.

My knees from my last December fall are still scarred and bruised, and my right knee from my October fall is still healing. Feels a little wonky, but not in pain and 95% back to normal. In retrospect, I think both of those falls would have been minor if I had good knee pads at the time. 

Hard plastic guards with sufficient EVA foam to disperse the impact does a decent job of preventing injury. The Triple8 (knee) guards are a good design that have straps both above and below the knee for a secure fit. I have something similar but doubled up on the padding for added protection and comfort....

Maybe I'll write a review of some kind, but what I've done is added an additional thin layer of D30 to my regular Shift Enforcer knee pads (popular on Amazon). The Shift Enforcers are hard plastic with Polypropylene cushion (popular with the motorsports crowd because they're cheap). Underneath I've added a form fitted (compression) sleeve with D30 or PoronXRD padding. Both types of pads are very thin and fit easily underneath the the other pads as a kind of 'second skin'...

DS5211%20xd30%20smart%20skinn%20knee-375kneeguard-2016_1.png71vI1PVJMIL._SL1000_.jpg

To be clear, I'm using the Demon Smartskin X D3O and Storelli Knee Guards (w/XRD PU foam) separately (not at same time). Both use a thin layer of reactive protection concentrated where it's needed most (the kneecap). Aside from the padding material, there are differences in the design of each that are worth discussing; however, both are fairly comfortable and offer great added protection.

I'll throw in a recommendation for my favorite knee and elbow pads. Protected me two weekends ago from a hard fall (15-20 mph) on my left elbow and knee. Cloth fused to hard plastic, they fit under my rain gear and provide awesome protection.

https://www.aliexpress.com/item/2pcs-Knee-Support-Elbow-Support-Adult-Field-Pulley-Bike-Motorcycle-Knee-Protector-Brace-Protection-Elbow-Pads/32829405339.html?spm=a2g0s.9042311.0.0.mAtkxU

5ab345103d12d_ScreenShot2018-03-21at10_52_49PM.thumb.jpg.60c3644fdf7ebd1a568d017f960e30ca.jpg

On 3/23/2018 at 5:39 AM, Mrd777 said:

@who_the what size did you order, and how big are you?

I'm 5-foot-6 160 with short but thick legs. The Medium fits me well. Might be too large for skinnier legs. Ordered the L (on Amazon) but it was huge for me. Friend who is 6-foot-4 200+ wears the large and they fit him.

derby-xd30-knee-web-900x900.png

derby-elbow-Xd30-front-web-900x900.png

i use these: demon derby 4 (with d30)

i wasn't wearing them about 7 weeks ago when i took i a spill - wish i had been! they're pretty solid - butterfly velcro straps, plus a buckle on the bottom and top velcro strap that fastens in the front

Archived