Segway One S1 will not turn off

vmaniqui

hi all,

first let me greet everyone a Very Happy New Year. i am new here and in fact this is my first post. i just got a Segway One S1 and it seems that the power button will only power on my Segway but not power it off. i can turn the power on but if i try to power it off, there's no response from my segway. i will hold it for few seconds, i will hold the handle and try to turn it off but nothing. is there something i am missing. it will automatically turn off by itself when i leave it for awhile but i can turn it off if i press the power button. anyone has any idea. appreciate it

thanks,

vic

• Upvote 1

16 hours ago, vmaniqui said:

hi all,

first let me greet everyone a Very Happy New Year. i am new here and in fact this is my first post. i just got a Segway One S1 and it seems that the power button will only power on my Segway but not power it off. i can turn the power on but if i try to power it off, there's no response from my segway. i will hold it for few seconds, i will hold the handle and try to turn it off but nothing. is there something i am missing. it will automatically turn off by itself when i leave it for awhile but i can turn it off if i press the power button. anyone has any idea. appreciate it

thanks,

vic

Mine just takes a quick short press to turn on and off.  Is the carry handle all the way down? I haven't tried turning mine off while the handle is up, and it's in the car so will try that later.  Since you just got it, call ninebotus to see if you might send it back for warranty repair.  Could be a bad switch or circuit board or something.  It's a good thing that ninebots turn off automatically after about 5 minutes.  At least you can still ride it while awaiting repair advice.

thanks @steve454 the carry handle is all the way down. i tried pressing it soft but nothing. i tried pressing it for about 5 sec. and nothing. o even tried holding it for longer than 5 seconds and no response. that's the reason i tried holding the handle and tried turning it off but still nothing. i can turn it on without issue but to turn it off doesn't cut it in. i just got this about couple of weeks ago and haven't had the chance to try it as i got so busy during the holidays. 

On 12/29/2017 at 2:07 PM, vmaniqui said:

thanks @steve454 the carry handle is all the way down. i tried pressing it soft but nothing. i tried pressing it for about 5 sec. and nothing. o even tried holding it for longer than 5 seconds and no response. that's the reason i tried holding the handle and tried turning it off but still nothing. i can turn it on without issue but to turn it off doesn't cut it in. i just got this about couple of weeks ago and haven't had the chance to try it as i got so busy during the holidays. 

I just checked mine, and it won't turn off if I hold the button down too long.  Weird.  But a quick press and release, (less than one half second) and it turns off everytime.  Try varying the length of time the button is held down and released, seems the shorter the time the better.  Mine will turn off if the app is on or off.

This is not related to your problem, just something I noticed.  If the wheel is turned on, and you pick it up by the handle, does the wheel spin, or is the slider in the app set for motor shutoff?  Mine was set to shut the motor off when picked up by default.  I left it like that, it's a neat feature.  But if I ever want to do a lift test, I can deselect it.  I might do that some day to see what speed it spins up to when off the ground.

Edited by steve454
  • Upvote 1

My brother suggests that the S1 may not turn off if the app is still on/connected. I.e. exit the app, then try turning off the wheel. (Don't have an S1 myself, but I gave my brother one for xmas and he too had trouble turning it off.  Thinks it was related to the app still running).

• Upvote 1

Thanks guys. I’m not at my house at the moment but as soon as I am home I will try your suggestions. Hopefully it will work. I also am charging it and making sure it’s fully charged before trying it on. Again may you all have a Prosperous New Year and cheers to good health, wealth and more blessings.

-Vic 

• 2 weeks later...

Okay as of today my segway ninebot s1 is not turning off as well, sadly it does not timeout too! It turns back on again after timing out. I managed to open the battery lids and unplug the batteries. It was the only way that i could turn it off. My hands are still bleeding. (It is insanely hard to open the lids) when i plug the batteries back nothing happens, i can turn it on using the on button but not off.

• Upvote 2

• 1 month later...

Having this on my S2 as well. It suddenly turned on at night, and did not react to the power button at all. Only solution was to pull the batteries out (which is the hardest thing I've ever done). Tried plugging back in, but the problem persists.

Not sure if hardware related, or software bug?

• 3 weeks later...

Thought I'd update on what happened with my incident. After having pulled the batteries out, I let the wheel rest for the night. Next morning I plugged the batteries back in and everything worked normally again. :confused1: I suspect that I either got moisture that somehow shorted the power button, or that it was a software failure, which was cleared after having the device without power for long enough?

Hasn't happened after that and I have since doubled my mileage.

• Upvote 1

• 2 years later...