How To Learn The Electric Unicycle

Milli Zhao

Question for the angry people...

When was the last time you emailed Honda, Chevrolet, Schwinn, or Ford and got a response, much less, a response where they even considered any of your complaints??

btw Imho intolerance is worst when the person doesn't even think they are being hurtful.

• Replies 53
  • Created
  • Last Reply
2 hours ago, Sidestreet Reny said:

When was the last time you emailed Honda, Chevrolet, Schwinn, or Ford and got a response, much less, a response where they even considered any of your complaints?

Edit.  You got me there.

23 hours ago, The Fat Unicyclist said:

Although l haven't discussed it with him, please let me apologise on behalf of @Smoother for any offense he may have caused. We are all very passionate here about our "hobby" and sometimes that can result in frustrations that don't translate well in text.

It is great to see you participating in this forum though, and if any of our input results in benefit to our wheels or our community,  it would be fantastic !

Thank you Sir:wub:. Yep, I believe most of us have the same good wish in this Forum,  hope all come true.

14 hours ago, Smoother said:

my first KS wheel is in pieces waiting for a new axle. An axle that broke after 1000 easy miles, and 13 months.  An axle that is not being replaced under warrantee. An axle that is not even available anymore.  I'm having to jury rig a newer axle design into my old rotor.  my mainstream dealer and regional supplier both claimed they had never heard of it, despite numerous reports here.  If they can be believed then which is worse, them not keeping up with common knowledge, or King Song being too busy "making" training videos, to inform their official suppliers, of a known problem and their solution? My tire ( a consumable) still has a few thousand miles in it but, the axle? Trash.

The pedals are made of slippery ribbed aluminum. I had to buy boots with extra grippy soles just to stay on it.  Other brands were using grip tape, but, not my model.  

The Unremovable tilt back is all but guaranteed to throw me off the wheel at high speed.

I have to wear sponges inside my socks on every ride, so my ankles aren't  bloodied on the sharp case protrusions at exactly ankle height.  

The balls of my feet 1/2 hang of the pedals when in a normal riding position. When climbing steep hills my heels leave the pedals completely.  And when descending, my soles flap about.  Not a safe feeling. (I do not have big feet)

The outside edges of the pedals catch on the grounds in turns, sometimes throwing me off the wheel. 

My latest King Song wheel speaks in a strange language,  and the pedals still scrape the ground in moderate turns 

ALL these issues could have been eliminated, or at least reduced, by consulting with western users. FOR FREE!

But you're  right, I should be glad that at least they have taken the time to "make" a training video.  :facepalm:

Hi @Smoother, very sorry for the aftersales problem you've suffered. I come to KingSong at the end of Feb 2017. And then experienced some bad problems cased by upgrade of EUC or spare parts or firmware or APP, like new motors axis increase the thickness, and old motors out of stcok to service old EUC.  It's frustrated, to end users, and then to us sales. However, there had been some riders suffered some accidents due to axis broken( Maybe you've heard of). We manufacturer can't control riders the way they ride, the only we can do is to improve the quality, make our EUC safer. That's why KingSong don't offer old axis any more. To be safer but more cost, or to take risk of fall, I think most people will choose the first one, am i right?

I don't know how KingSong make decisions in the past, but dring the nearly one year I'm here, before every big decison, we had sent emails to agents ask for commets and suggestions. Sorry things work out seems still not perfect, we are doing best to improve, and will keep on. Hope you can understand, and be more patient. You encouragement is our driving force. Thank you:)

4 hours ago, Flora Yuan said:

That's why KingSong don't offer old axis any more. To be safer but more cost, or to take risk of fall, I think most people will choose the first one, am i right?

I understand why a company wouldn't offer the same badly designed part as a replacement, but most manufacturers design a better part as a replacement, when a substandard part identifies itself through numerous premature failures. 

My axle, despite having dangerously thin pedal attachment areas, has a 23mm main body, the part that presses into the motor.  Your improved axle, with thicker ( although in my opinion, still unnecessarily compromised) pedal attachment points, has a 17mm main body.  So there is no direct path for an upgrade.  King Song was issuing replacement motors, but with the same flawed axle.  Which have the same 1500km life span.  Replacing with newer motors with the 17mm shaft requires replacing control board too ( I have heard).  None of these is a cost effective solution.  

Changing the axle diameter from 23mm to 17mm saved metal and weight, but it has nothing to do with the weak pedal attachment points.  But it did prevent those of us with 23mm axles from Getting an easy solution to the problem. And since the dealer's solutions is "ship it back to us to have a look, and by the way, this isn't warrantee work" costs more than a new axle, that is not a good option.

so with the help of @KS Poland I have a 17mm axle on its way to me.  Once here, I will have to figure out the best way to make it fit in a 23mm hole.  It would have been so much easier if you had just improved the ends of the 23mm axle, and left the diameter alone, for these improved replacement parts.

I estimate there are thousands of 14c s out there.  Each one is a time bomb, a time bomb with your company's name on it.   You really should have purchased a run of improved 14c axles from your supplier, one for each 14c sold, because they will all break in the next year. And the reports of King Song axle breakage will go through the roof. Do you think this will be good for King Songs reputation, or bad?

frankley I feel like your company has made your profit  from the sale of the 14c and washed your hands of us owner,  leaving  us to deal with the design flaw, on our own.

being " more patient" assumes help is on the way.  Is help on the way?   did you offer to help.....oh, that's right, you didn't. That's some patience you ask of me, waiting for help that isn't coming.

3 hours ago, Smoother said:

I understand why a company wouldn't offer the same badly designed part as a replacement, but most manufacturers design a better part as a replacement, when a substandard part identifies itself through numerous premature failures. 

My axle, despite having dangerously thin pedal attachment areas, has a 23mm main body, the part that presses into the motor.  Your improved axle, with thicker ( although in my opinion, still unnecessarily compromised) pedal attachment points, has a 17mm main body.  So there is no direct path for an upgrade.  King Song was issuing replacement motors, but with the same flawed axle.  Which have the same 1500km life span.  Replacing with newer motors with the 17mm shaft requires replacing control board too ( I have heard).  None of these is a cost effective solution.  

Changing the axle diameter from 23mm to 17mm saved metal and weight, but it has nothing to do with the weak pedal attachment points.  But it did prevent those of us with 23mm axles from Getting an easy solution to the problem. And since the dealer's solutions is "ship it back to us to have a look, and by the way, this isn't warrantee work" costs more than a new axle, that is not a good option.

so with the help of @KS Poland I have a 17mm axle on its way to me.  Once here, I will have to figure out the best way to make it fit in a 23mm hole.  It would have been so much easier if you had just improved the ends of the 23mm axle, and left the diameter alone, for these improved replacement parts.

I estimate there are thousands of 14c s out there.  Each one is a time bomb, a time bomb with your company's name on it.   You really should have purchased a run of improved 14c axles from your supplier, one for each 14c sold, because they will all break in the next year. And the reports of King Song axle breakage will go through the roof. Do you think this will be good for King Songs reputation, or bad?

frankley I feel like your company has made your profit  from the sale of the 14c and washed your hands of us owner,  leaving  us to deal with the design flaw, on our own.

being " more patient" assumes help is on the way.  Is help on the way?   did you offer to help.....oh, that's right, you didn't. That's some patience you ask of me, waiting for help that isn't coming.

I understand your point. 

All seems nice when there are no problems; when all works good. But when there is a problem, is very dificult to solve it.

On 1/3/2018 at 2:12 AM, Flora Yuan said:

we are doing best to improve, and will keep on. Hope you can understand, and be more patient. You encouragement is our driving force. Thank you:)

Flora Yuan, I am very happy that KingSong has upgraded the engineering of its unicycles. I believe at this time KingSong’s engineering and quality control are number one. Getting the app and website updated with correct English needs to be a priority.  The newest app was a complete failure for us as we could not understand the prompts or the error messages. Many of us now have the KS18S, and are wanting to unlock the final speed lock to 48kph but cannot because of the language barrier.  If KingSong could focus on that it would be very beneficial. 

On 2018/1/7 at 11:22 PM, GoinPostal said:

Flora Yuan, I am very happy that KingSong has upgraded the engineering of its unicycles. I believe at this time KingSong’s engineering and quality control are number one. Getting the app and website updated with correct English needs to be a priority.  The newest app was a complete failure for us as we could not understand the prompts or the error messages. Many of us now have the KS18S, and are wanting to unlock the final speed lock to 48kph but cannot because of the language barrier.  If KingSong could focus on that it would be very beneficial. 

Thanks for you understanding, support and advices. I would report your advices to company, and push company make better expressions on the APP:)

• 4 weeks later...
On 1/2/2018 at 3:53 AM, Keith said:

Whilst I’m sure all of us agree with tbut so is its advice on how to learn to ride - that is advice from someone who can ride well and has completely forgotten how they learned. When you are first learning your shins and lower leg muscles are soft and easily bruised, the last thing someone who has never ridden should be doing is all that one footed stuff - it will hurt like hell and put the new rider off. The new rider needs to get both feet on the wheel and, ideally with someone (or at least something) to hold on to, learn the basics of balancing and foot position.

Once they can ride the wheel OK - by which time the calf muscles and shins will have hardened up and they know where to position their feet correctly THEN is the time to practice mounting the wheel and THEN the exercises shown are useful.

I’m late to this party it seems . But this really struck me so I had to comment . This was one of the very first “how to” videos I watched when I bought my wheel. It seemed to be endorses by KIng Song (the brand I bought ) so I figured “okay this is how I need to learn “. Sorry @Flora Yuan , but as someone who just recently tried to follow these methods ...for a beginner it’s impossible. I could barely hold the wheel with my foot let alone “glide and glide “ . It was discouraging. I thought I was never going to learn. I’ve jut now gotten to point of doing the one leg thing shown in the video . I love Kingsong. Please don’t get me wrong . But this video didn’t help me at all. I learned by holding onto a railing and getting both feet on the EUC and then riding to another stationary object to dismount. In doing that I learned in a few hours  . Had I kept trying the method in the video ...maybe I still would not be able to. 

On 31.12.2017 at 8:47 PM, Smoother said:

Other than using it as a free advertising platform, they do ignore it.

If you'll notice, they just pop up now and then to inform us of something they have "decided," like, "no Aliexpress, overseas", "we will have a new wheel in a few months", "this is how to learn EUC".

There's no active engagement, just pop up, make a statement, go away again. If they were the tinyist bit smart, and business/customer oriented, they would reach out to someone like @Jason McNeil and pick his brains for what the west wants, not fight him at every turn, he's a free market research tool for North America and Europe, and they are too arrogant and superior to recognise that.  I say "free". Im sure Jason would feel amply rewarded by not having to fight for everything with them.

Since you were talking about market research, allow me to recommend reading the “China Electric Unicycle Industry 2016 Market Research Report”

When reading it you will learn some facts on what Chinese manufactures consider important and ... and ... and you may realize that compared to the Chinese market, their sales on the North American and European Market is nothing but peanuts to them, hence their attitude you so fiercely criticize. But I remember a time when Jaguar manufactured cars that my father had trouble to drive here in Japan and the “Brits” gave a sh.. oeshine what kind of feedback we “Japs” were giving them on how to sell their cars on our market. So here it is:

The China Electric Unicycle Industry 2016 Market Research Report is a professional and in-depth study on the current state of the Electric Unicycle industry.  The report provides a basic overview of the industry including definitions, classifications, applications and industry chain structure. The Electric Unicycle market analysis is provided for the China markets including development trends, competitive landscape analysis, and key regions development status.  Development policies and plans are discussed as well as manufacturing processes and Bill of Materials cost structures are also analyzed. This report also states import/export consumption, supply and demand Figures, cost, price, revenue and gross margins.  The report focuses on China major leading industry players providing information such as company profiles, product picture and specification, capacity, production, price, cost, revenue and contact information. Upstream raw materials and equipment and downstream demand analysis is also carried out. The Electric Unicycle industry development trends and marketing channels are analyzed. Finally the feasibility of new investment projects are assessed and overall research conclusions offered.  With 150 tables and figures the report provides key statistics on the state of the industry and is a valuable source of guidance and direction for companies and individuals interested in the market.

Read it it’s quite interesting.

Let’s hope that in time our comments and support we all share and accumulate in this forum will have an influence on open minded Chinese manufacturers, so that everyone benefits from our efforts. Even Jaguar startet to listen to their Japanese dealers after .... yeah ...years.

I apologize for my Japlish and honestly hope you get my drift. And one last thing: believe me Chinese people ARE smart and they have a long history that proves it.

51 minutes ago, RoberAce said:

After two weeks practicing I'm starting to get control

Great riding, and after only 2-weeks. You've picked this up a lot faster than me.

Looks like a fun place to ride :thumbup:

Archived