Jump to content
aalenkin

First few yards! Learning to balance!

Recommended Posts

So, its been about day (3) of some training (about 1 to 1.5 hours at a time); reading the Learning the Dynamics thread and some videos from @Marty Backe on how to mount and the "triangle method" .  Currently I can barely roll/stop, roll/stop.  I have been training on some thin grass at a local park and an adjacent strip of level concrete, I am starting to do much better on concrete!

With all this said as I mount the wheel and try to get going forward as soon as possible, I notice almost immediately that my wheel will turn either one direction or the next and I get the wheel wobbling, I know this is part of the overall learning process but was wondering if there are any tips?  Maybe foot position? Pinching the wheel with my ankles? maybe NOT pinching the wheel with my ankles?

So far I am loving the experience of learning!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 minutes ago, Marty Backe said:

If you're willing to take a drive to my town (Downey) I could give you some one-on-one training advice. Message me if you're interested - I've got some time this weekend.

Gees that is SOOOOOOO kind! I may take you up on that one day!  I as well as everyone else is caught up in the "Stress"mas Holiday upon us LOL.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Get someone (anyone!) to walk along side and hold your hand/arm; or hold out their are so you can hold it.  Each attempt try to lean on them less.  With this little assistance you can go far further and learn "further" -- you will learn to ride in a much shorter time.

Also, until you learn it, more than 20-30minutes at a time doesn't help (much if any).  3 sessions of 20 minutes a day is near ideal (until it "clicks" - once it clicks do whatever you like)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, Marty Backe said:

If you're willing to take a drive to my town (Downey) I could give you some one-on-one training advice. Message me if you're interested - I've got some time this weekend.

Awesome offer! 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Thank you so much for the support guys! May try to get out there again in a little bit!  Merry Christmas to all!!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Newbie here too. Hardest part is hopping onto the wheel, even harder if you are uphill. I wobble a little too, and I'm unable to position left foot perfectly at first try so I need to adjust feet while on the wheel.

Keep training and suddenly your body will do 'click' and do it fine.

Edited by pollytronman
spelling

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

So I spent the last few days practicing a bit.  Went to my local park, must say practicing on grass probably accelerated my learning 10 fold. 

Psychologically I had no major fear of falling, albeit sounds petty but I also didnt have a "fear" of damaging my EUC.  After a few sessions on the grass I moved over to my parking garage.  Using the Triangle method I am now able to at least mount the EUC, the last few times I managed to roll out 5ft in each direction back and forth.

Another thing that helped me was wearing thicker wool socks, it helped protect my ankles more and helped me really jam my ankle next to the EUC.

 

I plan on working on mounting more smoothly, and working on my forward momentum, I basically am thinking hop on and go!!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Frustrating day yesterday all,

seems like I took a step back!!  Been able to mount the EUC however get it rolling forward has been an issue.  I had a few nasty spills, good I had my wrist guards and elbow guards at least!!

Ive been tinkering with my system on the Ninebot E+ do you know what setting would be good for a newbie under "Rider Sensitivity" I have it on a 4 I believe, any help there would be appreciated.

 

Also are you quick to lose your feel just after a few days off? Must say I was soo defeated yesterday, wondering if I will ever get this!! let alone ride in public!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
12 minutes ago, aalenkin said:

Frustrating day yesterday all,

seems like I took a step back!!  Been able to mount the EUC however get it rolling forward has been an issue.  I had a few nasty spills, good I had my wrist guards and elbow guards at least!!

Ive been tinkering with my system on the Ninebot E+ do you know what setting would be good for a newbie under "Rider Sensitivity" I have it on a 4 I believe, any help there would be appreciated.

 

Also are you quick to lose your feel just after a few days off? Must say I was soo defeated yesterday, wondering if I will ever get this!! let alone ride in public!

Once I got my first EUC I don't think that there has been a single day that I haven't ridden, so I can't answer your question about "lose your feet" :D 

Must not give up.There are ups and downs, but everyone eventually succeeds.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, aalenkin said:

Also are you quick to lose your feel just after a few days off? Must say I was soo defeated yesterday, wondering if I will ever get this!! let alone ride in public!

To me it is a skill that requires just a few minutes each day to keep sharp, but fifteen or more minutes to improve, otherwise I gradually lose my skill until it feels very awkward and clumsy after about a week. Hard enough that I miss mounts and wobble a bit. 

I believe the reason most riders lose skill so quickly compared to, say, in line skating, is because the balance required is quite different from other vehicles, and while your "normal" balance still works OK for EUC balance the skills are quite different. 

While EUC is not hard to learn, the specific balance is unique to only EUC and so the skills deteriorate quite quickly. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, LanghamP said:

To me it is a skill that requires just a few minutes each day to keep sharp, but fifteen or more minutes to improve, otherwise I gradually lose my skill until it feels very awkward and clumsy after about a week. Hard enough that I miss mounts and wobble a bit. 

I believe the reason most riders lose skill so quickly compared to, say, in line skating, is because the balance required is quite different from other vehicles, and while your "normal" balance still works OK for EUC balance the skills are quite different. 

While EUC is not hard to learn, the specific balance is unique to only EUC and so the skills deteriorate quite quickly. 

Like @Marty Backe I had not gone a single day without riding... until this holiday season when I had to fly to visit family. Since we can't bring EUCs on planes I had to go a week without riding. I had no noticeable deterioration of skill when I returned. I'm sure there is probably a point at which you might begin to get rusty but I'm sure just riding around for 15 min or so would get you right back into the swing of things. As you can tell from the variation in our experiences it probably is a bit different from person to person but I wouldn't worry too much about losing skill from not riding for a few days.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, electricpen said:

Like @Marty Backe I had not gone a single day without riding... until this holiday season when I had to fly to visit family. Since we can't bring EUCs on planes I had to go a week without riding. I had no noticeable deterioration of skill when I returned. I'm sure there is probably a point at which you might begin to get rusty but I'm sure just riding around for 15 min or so would get you right back into the swing of things. As you can tell from the variation in our experiences it probably is a bit different from person to person but I wouldn't worry too much about losing skill from not riding for a few days.

Was on holiday as well for 2 weeks. Came back today and had no problem with the wheel. I guess it takes longer than a few weeks but it may also varies person to person. Had a few days of skiing in between the 2 weeks so that may be a factor?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.


×
×
  • Create New...