The New Solowheel

GreenWheel

2 hours ago, WARPed1701D said:

A late thought regarding this.

With repair and service support extended to existing Inmotion V8 owners in the US, will the new firmware/app also be made available to the same market? 

Yes, it will!

• Replies 74
  • Created
  • Last Reply

So here's another question.

I've just watched the video of the recent San Diego meetup, which reminds me of how ideal the area can be for riding. And as a reasonable tourist destination, are there any plans for a rental service?

Perhaps with a proficiency test up front, and a decent bond to cover any damage... Or even a "sell with a buy-back guarantee" type scenario?

As a regular traveller, I am constantly frustrated that almost everywhere I go it has to be without a  wheel. So a destination that allows me to explore by EUC would be awesome...

16 minutes ago, The Fat Unicyclist said:

So here's another question.

I've just watched the video of the recent San Diego meetup, which reminds me of how ideal the area can be for riding. And as a reasonable tourist destination, are there any plans for a rental service?

Perhaps with a proficiency test up front, and a decent bond to cover any damage... Or even a "sell with a buy-back guarantee" type scenario?

As a regular traveller, I am constantly frustrated that almost everywhere I go it has to be without a  wheel. So a destination that allows me to explore by EUC would be awesome...

Why not?  We will draft a plan this week, and hopefully next time you come to SD, you can rent one from us, haha.  BTW, do you have interest to get involved of our internal discussion about this plan? 

4 hours ago, Bobwheel said:

Why not?  We will draft a plan this week, and hopefully next time you come to SD, you can rent one from us, haha.  BTW, do you have interest to get involved of our internal discussion about this plan? 

Well, I have been known to have an occasional opinion... So I'm more than happy to answer any questions and give you feedback on any options you come up with. 

Don't feel the need to rush things though - I'm not planning to be back on the west coast for a while yet... But then again, who knows!

7 hours ago, Bobwheel said:

Yes, it will!

Cool. When there is time I'd be interested in hearing how the tilt back activation has been altered with some real world scenarios detailing how the change would alter the wheel behavior. 

7 hours ago, WARPed1701D said:

Cool. When there is time I'd be interested in hearing how the tilt back activation has been altered with some real world scenarios detailing how the change would alter the wheel behavior. 

The tilt back activation now is depend on road/battery/weight condition, and it is not triggered by a set speed, but instead of a dynamic speed.  

1 hour ago, Sketch said:

Is Solowheel Global the correct iPhonr app that will work with my Inmotion V8 and give me the ability to download the updated firmware?

Thanks

You can keep using InMotion App to upgrade the firmware, but InMotion brand is not supported by Solowheel App.

4 hours ago, Bobwheel said:

The tilt back activation now is depend on road/battery/weight condition, and it is not triggered by a set speed, but instead of a dynamic speed.  

When I first read this a few days ago I thought, "cool, someone's thinking about a better tilt back than the Kimg Song one that throws me on my ass".  But reading it again I'm thinking " oh, no, a tilt back named Cato, and the rider is inspector Cluso". Confused.  Think Pink Panther, Peter Sellers.  Cato's role was to mount surprise attacks on Cluso, to keep his martial art skills up. Cluso was always wary, and frequently attacked.

What's the one thing a rider doesn't want from his wheel? Surprise attacks.  That would make one quite nervous.

On 1/3/2018 at 3:35 AM, The Fat Unicyclist said:

Well, I have been known to have an occasional opinion... So I'm more than happy to answer any questions and give you feedback on any options you come up with. 

Don't feel the need to rush things though - I'm not planning to be back on the west coast for a while yet... But then again, who knows!

We had a little discussion yesterday, and the ideal way for a rental Solowheel maybe just like Uber, any owners of Solowheel can registered as a landlord, the company ensure all the transition to be safe, and users can use Solowheel App to reach out the nearby landlord anywhere you go, and rent directly from them. But it cost a lot to make it happen and of course we need more owners at the first place.  It's a long term project, but you can rent one from SD office any time you were here, that's for sure! 

20 hours ago, Bobwheel said:

We had a little discussion yesterday, and the ideal way for a rental Solowheel maybe just like Uber, any owners of Solowheel can registered as a landlord, the company ensure all the transition to be safe, and users can use Solowheel App to reach out the nearby landlord anywhere you go, and rent directly from them. But it cost a lot to make it happen and of course we need more owners at the first place.  It's a long term project, but you can rent one from SD office any time you were here, that's for sure! 

l like the idea... And it means the potential for "wheel access" (potentially) anywhere in the world. Though it does also assume that riders either have spare wheels, or are happy to "release" their only one. 

What do you mean by, "the company ensure all the transition to be safe" - are you suggesting that riders might be pre-tested (for riding ability and transition competence), which would be great for the landlords, or is that a typo for transaction, which gives the landlord the financial security - though both would be good.

It also begs the next question - Using the Uber concept, "Why limit it to Solowheel?"

I wouldn't let a stranger ride my carefully pampered wheel.  What if it comes back all scratched up? Puncture? snapped axle? Drained down to dangerous levels for the batteries ? Ridden in pouring rain? Thick mud? Fried MOSfets?  Used for purse snatching crime?No thanks.  That's a catering sized can of worms.

20 hours ago, F.J. Abaya said:

Do you need to be a Solowheel owner to rent from the San Diego office? If not how much does it cost?

No need to be a Solowheel owner. We are thinking of the pricing to be:

1. $39 - 1day.   2. $99 - 3 days.  3. $169 - a week

17 hours ago, The Fat Unicyclist said:

l like the idea... And it means the potential for "wheel access" (potentially) anywhere in the world. Though it does also assume that riders either have spare wheels, or are happy to "release" their only one. 

What do you mean by, "the company ensure all the transition to be safe" - are you suggesting that riders might be pre-tested (for riding ability and transition competence), which would be great for the landlords, or is that a typo for transaction, which gives the landlord the financial security - though both would be good.

It also begs the next question - Using the Uber concept, "Why limit it to Solowheel?"

Yes, if company can pay the owner if any damage or loss caused from the rental, then it will motivate more users to be landlord. But @Smoother is right, there are lots of safety issues needed to be solved before this project go to alive, and we are just talking the concept now. 

@The Fat Unicyclist You are right, it not necessarily to limit it to Solowheel, and we need a third party in this industry to do this business. :)

2 hours ago, Bobwheel said:

No need to be a Solowheel owner. We are thinking of the pricing to be:

1. $39 - 1day.   2. $99 - 3 days.  3. $169 - a week

Wow, that's very reasonable. 

I assume there would also be a band, or damage fee? 

5 hours ago, The Fat Unicyclist said:

Wow, that's very reasonable. 

I assume there would also be a band, or damage fee? 

Yes,  but we don't think we should charge for minor scratch or something like that, and we only charge big damage like breaking something. 

On January 4, 2018 at 4:50 PM, Bobwheel said:

I wonder how ideal a rental would be. Rental car companies are successful because they have many different new models each year and sell their cars after 2 years. The companies rotate to keep the inventory fresh. So Enterprise Inc has toyota, Nissan, Ford, Chevy, et al spread across their Branded outlets like Avis, Budget, and the rest they own. They understand and rely on the fact that there is no ideal car. Thus choices abound.

You will ostensibly have a few models from one company. The big metal city painted single speed equivalent of the unicycles is what it is in danger of becoming. This as more of a variety from 10" screaming juggling ball demons to 18" -22" monsters able to compete with small mitsubishi compacts and everything niftily named inbetween glide all around like a uniwheel tropical fish bowl.

Having stock around in a rental/tutorial mode is good for education of youngsters and getting them aquainted with it. Or as a way to reach out to new customers who may be traveling to San Diego and cant bring or ship their 1680wh monster, but still want to glide along the beach. There were many who thought of doing that same business model with segways in the 00's. They littered the beach towns up and down both coasts like lost treasure legends, which also arent really around too much anymore. There's just sooooo much to do these days.

16 minutes ago, Stan Onymous said:

I wonder how ideal a rental would be. Rental car companies are successful because they have many different new models each year and sell their cars after 2 years. The companies rotate to keep the inventory fresh. So Enterprise Inc has toyota, Nissan, Ford, Chevy, et al spread across their Branded outlets like Avis, Budget, and the rest they own. They understand and rely on the fact that there is no ideal car. Thus choices abound.

You will ostensibly have a few models from one company. The big metal city painted single speed equivalent of the unicycles is what it is in danger of becoming. This as more of a variety from 10" screaming juggling ball demons to 18" -22" monsters able to compete with small mitsubishi compacts and everything niftily named inbetween glide all around like a uniwheel tropical fish bowl.

Having stock around in a rental/tutorial mode is good for education of youngsters and getting them aquainted with it. Or as a way to reach out to new customers who may be traveling to San Diego and cant bring or ship their 1680wh monster, but still want to glide along the beach. There were many who thought of doing that same business model with segways in the 00's. They littered the beach towns up and down both coasts like lost treasure legends, which also arent really around too much anymore. There's just sooooo much to do these days.

Very well said. But you mention businesses that only rent vehicles.

It would be quite different if sales was the core business and training / renting secondary. Or should that be "complimentary"? If someone isn't sure, but can train, then rent, ten buy - wouldn't that enhance the business model?

Oh, and travellers like us benefit too...

13 minutes ago, The Fat Unicyclist said:

Oh, and travellers like us benefit too...

You would not have to pay me anything. Something decadent made out of chocolate and fruit or just chocolate and more chocolate. World class, like a bacon and blueberry maple longjohn donut. :efeebb3acc: such a thing does exist and its under $2, so thats the going rate if you want one of mine. I would feel like you would want to damage it for $99 a weekend. :efee612b4b: 

besides, we are a tight knit group on here and most of our quicks are out in the open, but if I was really interested, I would probably sell it to you for $350 and buy it back for $325 if there was no damage. Thats for one week. Minimum rental Period sorry. Like I said before, there is no perfect vehicle (I actually said car, but still). What if you also want something to charge your mobile? Or blast some music that doesnt have a baby rattle for the drum track out Four mean looking speakers? I got those for ya too big guy! I can only see the addiction getting deeper before I bottom out. :dribble:

There is a place in Spain that rents Electric rideables, including EUCs. Calpe, I think.  

I like the idea that a competent rider could visit a destination city like San Diego, and rent an euc, to cruise the seafront; I would.  And I wouldn't be concerned about brand or model, as long as it was a competent performer (16", 800W, 680wh, something like that).

what makes a competent rider? Someone who can demonstrate good basic skills to the rental agency, before a rental is agreed.

unfortunately, I don't believe this would be a profitable venture, unless other revenue streams exist for the agency other than EUC rental, as Solowheel has in San Diego. And the outfit in Calpe, Spain (other scooters and rideables)

Archived