Jump to content

How to pass through kerbs


pollytronman
 Share

Recommended Posts

Hi there, 

I'm a newbie with a Ninebot One E+. I have on ly 50km and 7h. I can manage hi speed (20Km/h), turns, tight turns, dodge people in sidewalks, low speed balance, basic maneuverability.

I know this is a recurrent question but I can't find advices to my specific problem: I find it hard to go through kerbs, I mean, lowered kerbs which are > 4cm high. Most times the wheel stops there and I have to jump off in order not to fall. Going down the same kerbs or even higher no problem although I don't like the feel of my feet not contacting the pedals.

Any advice? I have 40PSI in the 16" wheel and I weight 93KG, probably 95 dressed up.

My tire states 35-45 PSI

Much appreciated, 

Edited by pollytronman
edited for spelling
  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

http://forum.electricunicycle.org/applications/core/interface/file/attachment.php?id=8928

I am self-taught, tighten the legs and pull up the wheel, in this video I was with Nb1+ ;)   ...I don't know the right Psi, I watch the hardness pushing with my thumb , I think no hard is better

  • Like 2
  • Upvote 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

58 minutes ago, pollytronman said:

Any advice? I have 40PSI in the 16" wheel and I weight 93KG, probably 95 dressed up.

My tire states 35-45 PSI

No advice for kerbs.  But at your weight, I would increase the tire pressure to around 45psi.  I ride a 16" wheel at around 40psi and I weigh in riding kit, around 83kg.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

I agree with @Smoother... 45psi would be better, as you are a more solid rider. 

The reason your wheel is stopping will be because it doesn't have enough torque to lift the weight. My approach to avoid this is to keep the speed up a little (utilising the momentum) and at the point of the transition to "almost" jump - reducing the weight on the wheel, but not actually losing contact. 

It will take a bit of practice to get the timing right, but it works for me (and I have more weight on my wheel). 

  • Like 3
Link to comment
Share on other sites

7 hours ago, pollytronman said:

Hi there, 

I'm a newbie with a Ninebot One E+. I have on ly 50km and 7h. I can manage hi speed (20Km/h), turns, tight turns, dodge people in sidewalks, low speed balance, basic maneuverability.

I know this is a recurrent question but I can't find advices to my specific problem: I find it hard to go through kerbs, I mean, lowered kerbs which are > 4cm high. Most times the wheel stops there and I have to jump off in order not to fall. Going down the same kerbs or even higher no problem although I don't like the feel of my feet not contacting the pedals.

Any advice? I have 40PSI in the 16" wheel and I weight 93KG, probably 95 dressed up.

My tire states 35-45 PSI

Much appreciated, 

40psi is the minimum I like, when it gets that low I pump it up to 50.  My weight is about 100KG.  Main advice is to take your weight off the wheel, as @The Fat Unicyclist  said.   There is a sidewalk where I ride that has an uneven section of slabs.  It's jumping up just a little, without the feet leaving the pedals.  If you don't, the power demand can fry something.  (not on a ninebot, but some wheels, a ninebot will just drop you with out hurting the wheel)  Check out how easy this Gotway went ZZZZT!  But Gotways are extremely powerful, way more than a ninebot.  This is just a funny video.

A ninebot would hit that and drop you, because it didn't have enough power and would protect itself by shutting off momentarily.  A high powered wheel would attempt to force full power to the motor, burning components.  It's up to the rider to learn the limits of the wheel.

 

Edited by steve454
  • Upvote 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

9 hours ago, pollytronman said:

Hi there, 

I'm a newbie with a Ninebot One E+. I have on ly 50km and 7h. I can manage hi speed (20Km/h), turns, tight turns, dodge people in sidewalks, low speed balance, basic maneuverability.

Impressive, good work! You're definitely ahead of the curve. :thumbup:

9 hours ago, pollytronman said:

Any advice? I have 40PSI in the 16" wheel and I weight 93KG, probably 95 dressed up.

My tire states 35-45 PSI

I agree with @steve454 et al:  keep the wheel at 40-50psi. At 93Kg, you should probably check tyre pressure more frequently, and inflate to 50 as soon as it drops to 45 or less.

9 hours ago, pollytronman said:

I find it hard to go through kerbs, I mean, lowered kerbs which are > 4cm high. Most times the wheel stops there and I have to jump off in order not to fall. Going down the same kerbs or even higher no problem although I don't like the feel of my feet not contacting the pedals.

Grab and lift-jump as @The Fat Unicyclist says. Check out @Jonathan Tolhurst's videos to learn how he does it - he's a pro. :)

Edited by litewave
  • Upvote 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

5 hours ago, steve454 said:

If you don't, the power demand can fry something.

I guess I should be happy I haven't broken anything yet!

I slowly went over low curbs, leaning forward from a near stop, but my wheel faithfully brought me up.

To be fair, I'm less than 50kg and my wheel is at ~50 PSI.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

The first time I went up a small curb, I went too slowly, and ended up crashing my knees into the ground.

Nowadays I approach small curbs with a little speed, and de-accelerate as I hit the curb, so I'm not thrown forward. I use a V5F and my regular commute has pavement tiles which jut up by about 3cm.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

21 minutes ago, EternalEnigma said:

To be fair, I'm less than 50kg and my wheel is at ~50 PSI.

That's not fair at all! 

But I bet I could take you down Sumo wrestling! 

  • Like 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

5 hours ago, Smoother said:

That's an understatement :rolleyes:

Well isn't that the pot calling the kettle black? 

Perhaps we should share a recent photo of "Fat Smoother"... 

fat_smoother.png

 

Actually, when l found this image, the story was quite amusing... https://www.mnn.com/family/protection-safety/blogs/crash-test-dummies-fatten-up-to-mimic-americans 

Edited by The Fat Unicyclist
Link to comment
Share on other sites

5 hours ago, The Fat Unicyclist said:

Well isn't that the pot calling the kettle black? 

Perhaps we should share a recent photo of "Fat Smoother"... 

fat_smoother.png

 

Actually, when l found this image, the story was quite amusing... https://www.mnn.com/family/protection-safety/blogs/crash-test-dummies-fatten-up-to-mimic-americans 

Hey!, you weren't supposed to share that picture, I gave it to you in confidence.  Anyway, they're Christmas pounds (yeah I started 3 months ago), They'll all be gone by February. :rolleyes:

Yeah, interesting story, that.  Here's what I got out of it:

@The Fat Unicyclist is going to die!  Don't believe me? Here's a quote:

"fat people are up to 78 percent more likely to die in a EUC crash than their slender counterparts"

RIP my friend, RIP:efee8c29ce:

Edited by Smoother
  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

 Share

×
×
  • Create New...