ACM to ACM2 self upgrade?

@Marty Backe's thread about the ACM and @Jrkline "Wheel Whisperer"'s recent upgrade of his KS18 to an almost-18S (minus some fans) makes me want to upgrade my ACM to the ACM2 (basically an ACM with the Tesla motor). This would be a hopefully not too expensive way to get a better, improved wheel with (most importantly to me) a bit more reliable/thicker cabling (the ACM's weak point).

So this may be premature as the ACM2 isn't even out yet, just some brainstorming.

• Option 1: Get the parts and do the upgrade yourself.
    So you'd need to order the board, the fan assembly, and the (Tesla) motor. Not sure if the existing pedal brackets can be used on its thicker axle. Ideally the new motor with (new?) brackets already attached would make life easier as well. One should be able to salvage the rest of all needed parts from the existing ACM. Forgot anything? Maybe there will be a new light assembly with a better light?
  • Option 2: An easier way.
    One could just get an ACM2 fully assembled, just without the batteries. A good dealer might be able to order this. Transplant the existing batteries, and done. A bit more expensive as you're paying for the shell and pedals you already have, but on the other hand you basically have 2 wheels now that just share the batteries and someone already assembled the hard parts (even if they are just the Gotway workers).

Any thoughts? Anyone having the same upgrade ideas?:efee47c9c8: Do you think the upgrade is worth it?

5 minutes ago, meepmeepmayer said:

@Marty Backe's thread about the ACM and @Jrkline "Wheel Whisperer"'s recent upgrade of his KS18 to an almost-18S (minus some fans) makes me want to upgrade my ACM to the ACM2 (basically an ACM with the Tesla motor). This would be a hopefully not too expensive way to get a better, improved wheel with (most importantly to me) a bit more reliable/thicker cabling (the ACM's weak point).

So this may be premature as the ACM2 isn't even out yet, just some brainstorming.

• Option 1: Get the parts and do the upgrade yourself.
    So you'd need to order the board, the fan assembly, and the (Tesla) motor. Not sure if the existing pedal brackets can be used on its thicker axle. Ideally the new motor with (new?) brackets already attached would make life easier as well. One should be able to salvage the rest of all needed parts from the existing ACM. Forgot anything? Maybe there will be a new light assembly with a better light?
  • Option 2: An easier way.
    One could just get an ACM2 fully assembled, just without the batteries. A good dealer might be able to order this. Transplant the existing batteries, and done. A bit more expensive as you're paying for the shell and pedals you already have, but on the other hand you basically have 2 wheels now that just share the batteries and someone already assembled the hard parts (even if they are just the Gotway workers).

Any thoughts? Anyone having the same upgrade ideas?:efee47c9c8: Do you think the upgrade is worth it?

I think I like option 2 because I'm lazy about doing all the other work. What's nice with the KS18S upgrade is that KingSong supplies the motor with the tire and pedals already installed. Super simple. I think that's because Jason pushed them to supply the upgrade kit as an 'easy' kit.

With Gotway you would only get the motor. That's a whole lot of extra work, and like you wonder about, the pedal brackets would probably not be compatible. You would probably have to have a superb dealer that could get all the parts.

8 hours ago, meepmeepmayer said:

I think the biggest problem would be board placement.The Tesla board fits flat above the batteries like in KingSong wheels whereas the ACM has the board on the side.I don't think you can reorient board position without gyro problems,since they are attached directly to the board.Although I could be wrong on this.

48 minutes ago, Jrkline "Wheel Whisperer" said:

I think the biggest problem would be board placement.The Tesla board fits flat above the batteries like in KingSong wheels whereas the ACM has the board on the side.I don't think you can reorient board position without gyro problems,since they are attached directly to the board.Although I could be wrong on this.

I'd buy an official ACM2 board, not a Tesla board, even though the difference would probably just the firmware (or maybe not?). I'm assuming Gotway have figured this out if they're selling the ACM2, so the board has to fit in the shell and work:efee47c9c8:

Waiting to see a photo of the ACM2's innards to know more details.

10 hours ago, Marty Backe said:

What's nice with the KS18S upgrade is that KingSong supplies the motor with the tire and pedals already installed. Super simple. I think that's because Jason pushed them to supply the upgrade kit as an 'easy' kit.

Thats btw. a must have...as the 18S has a thicker axle and other pedal arms than the 18A. The old pedal arms would not fit the axle, and also the new arms are more sturdy.

32 minutes ago, KingSong69 said:

Thats btw. a must have...as the 18S has a thicker axle and other pedal arms than the 18A. The old pedal arms would not fit the axle, and also the new arms are more sturdy.

Including the tire is a nice touch though.

Just now, Marty Backe said:

Including the tire is a nice touch though.

Didn't you also get installed pedal arms and tire when you received your ACM motor? i always thought that is a standard......

Just now, KingSong69 said:

Didn't you also get installed pedal arms and tire when you received your ACM motor? i always thought that is a standard......

No way. Just a bare motor with absolutely nothing else.

Just now, Marty Backe said:

No way. Just a bare motor with absolutely nothing else.

:o Wow....

Ok....there are services "ok"...in england....and services "top notch" in the states.... :-)

3 minutes ago, KingSong69 said:

:o Wow....

Ok....there are services "ok"...in england....and services "top notch" in the states.... :-)

Yeah, Speedyfeet can't compare to the quality of service that @Jason McNeil provides to his customers.

44 minutes ago, meepmeepmayer said:

If you ask Ian "Can I get the motor with the brackets installed?", I guess  it would work too:efef3d5527:. Especially if he orders it from Gotway anyways instead of from his spare part stock - they'll do the work.

I haven't been wholly successful in getting what I need from Ian. For instance, I couldn't get replacement pedal-arm shims for my Monster that I bought from him. Who 'gave' them to me - @Jason McNeil.  I couldn't get a replacement ACM control board from Ian, for the ACM that I bought from Ian. Who 'gave' me one - @Jason McNeil

Maybe you have to live in England to get more personalized wheel support from Speedyfeet, I don't know :confused1:

I'm not saying that Ian is bad, but he's not as responsive and helpful as EWheels, based on my experience. Anecdotal, I know.

Archived