KS16s 2.5" tire mod.:Any knowledge, experience or links?

Smoother

Does anyone know what this 2.5" mod. is all about?  What are the benefits? Which is the preferred tire?  Who sells it?  are there other steps to perform other than " swap the tires"?

I have seen that raising the shell by one pedal arm mounting hole gives clearance for the control-board heat-sink.  Is that the only mod.?

11 hours ago, Smoother said:

Does anyone know what this 2.5" mod. is all about?  What are the benefits? Which is the preferred tire?  Who sells it?  are there other steps to perform other than " swap the tires"?

I have seen that raising the shell by one pedal arm mounting hole gives clearance for the control-board heat-sink.  Is that the only mod.?

Ks Poland is right, you also need to cut the shell a bit.

advantages? are the much more stable ride on the wider tire, also you should have a tiny little bit higher max speed, as the wheel diameter is a little bit bigger. But the main benefit is the more stable ride.

In asia/Singapor a lot of KS16/s riders have done this mod, so if you want to know more, perhaps ask in the "the wheelies" FB group.

• Like 1

No automatic alt text available.

No automatic alt text available.

Edmund Emmanuel Lim said "Agility wise to me is still the same. Speed no change. More comfortable I would say. More confidence riding thru uneven or off-road. Definitely cornering is much better now coz I won't scrap the pedals like I used to on the 2.125."

I copied these photos and text from lower down in the FB thread @KS Poland quoted.  Personally, I think the cutting of the shell could be done better (rounded corners,  not cut quite so much, etc) but overall, its good advice and information.  I think I'll do it some time.  More comfort: check, More confidence: check, less pedal scraping: check.  More confidence riding thru uneven or off-road: check.  I actually think the 16 shell is a little too full in these areas anyway (comes in contact with high steps, when power trollying the wheel into and out of buildings). What's not to like? other than the work, and replacing a brand new tire, and butchering the shell a bit.

Thanks, @KS Poland  and @KingSong69

Edited by Smoother
  • Like 1
  • Upvote 2

On 12/19/2017 at 2:54 PM, Rob Valley said:

Last inspection of the tire on my KS16B made me think about getting the 2.5" wheel also, im guessing these modifications applies to all models of the KS 16 if you want the 2.5" tire?

I'm no expert, but I believe the cases, in the affected areas, are the same.  I think having the 6 pedal-arm mounting screws is the key, as shifting the shell up (to clear the Control Board heat sink) and using only the bottom 4 is mandatory.

Edited by Smoother
took out inaccurate text.
  • Upvote 1

• 4 weeks later...

A wider tyre and raised pedals would make the KS16S all of the sudden a much more attractive choice :) One could possibly even cut the fender in a way that the wheel can stand on its own.

Edited by Mono

I ride daily on 16" x 2.5" wheel and it is great! 

Super-slow is very stable and gravel / sand / mud is so much easier... In some ways it's almost like a more agile 18" wheel. 

• Like 1

8 hours ago, The Fat Unicyclist said:

I ride daily on 16" x 2.5" wheel and it is great! 

Super-slow is very stable and gravel / sand / mud is so much easier... In some ways it's almost like a more agile 18" wheel. 

So, what are the specs on your tire? Brand, model. size, etc?  I'd like to do this mod but I don't want to be a chump and order a 16" motorcycle tire by mistake only to discover its a completely different size.:facepalm:

• Like 1

14 hours ago, Smoother said:

So, what are the specs on your tire? Brand, model. size, etc?  I'd like to do this mod but I don't want to be a chump and order a 16" motorcycle tire by mistake only to discover its a completely different size.:facepalm:

I should have mentioned that this wheel is an IPS 191 (which comes with a 2.5" wheel as stock), so I don't claim to be a tyre expert in any way.

But reading it, the brand is "INFLATETO" and the model is "35 - 45 PSI"

I hope that helps...

Edited by The Fat Unicyclist
  • Like 2

13 hours ago, Smoother said:

Nah... I'm just screwing with you... But I'm hoping I gave you a fantastic face-palm moment? 

The "other" information on the tyre (besides what is in Chinese) is as follows;

• CHAO YANG (with a pretty picture of a rising sun between the two words)
  • H-5146
  • 16x2.50/64-305

I see that Chaoyang has a website - http://www.chaoyangtire.com/ -  with the same logo even. But I can't find my tyre there (superceded perhaps?

Let me know if you want more info about any of this.

• Upvote 1

While these seem to be pretty decent tyres (I also have one on my IPS) it seems annoyingly difficult to get hold of a Chao Yang replacement tyre. Any ideas how to get one? 

15 hours ago, The Fat Unicyclist said:

brand is "INFLATETO" and the model is "35 - 45 PSI"

Damn. I've been looking for an INFLATETO tires for hours.  Could never find the "35 - 45 PSI" model. :D

I'll be looking out for that Chao Yang tire, or its equivalent 

• Like 1

• 4 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...
12 hours ago, RoberAce said:

What is the width of the rim? 

1.jpg

Well, the modification has been complete for almost a month, so, unfortunately, I do not have any more access to the rim than anyone else with a 16"rim.  And I didn't think to measure the rim before I put the new tire on.  If you're thinking of doing your own 2.5" mod, and bicycle/ebike tire will fit the rim.  But as I've learned here on this forum, that a 16" motorcycle tire won't fit because the rim diameter is different (a lot bigger) than a bicycle rim.

• 4 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
On 12/19/2017 at 3:04 AM, Smoother said:

Does anyone know what this 2.5" mod. is all about?  What are the benefits?

With Kenda 2.5" tyre and lift, KS16S goes about the same on tarmac, considerably more stable on paved road and much better on gravel. Lifting by itself helps in offroad.

All you need is to remove a bit of plastic and skip a row of screws (lift by a row, using 4 out of 6 screws on each side). Multiple riders who did this, report the same range, so tyre doesn't affect it noticeably.

I just got that tyre, going to shorten the racks a bit for extra lift with help from rider Maxim Katenev, he're his KS16S:

photo_2018-05-15_11-06-51.jpg

photo_2018-05-31_21-58-16.jpg

photo_2018-06-01_13-29-09.jpg

• Like 3

• 1 year later...
  • 2 months later...
5 hours ago, Bhala said:

I am doing this mod on my Kingsong 16 S.

What tire recomendations do you have?

Different tires have different qualities. Kenda (don’t remember model, found on V10, some 16S) has a great grip but is not as comfortable as the softer Chao Yangs. Chao Yang H-5102 is a nice ride but even as a 2.5” tire doesn’t grip very well on wet unpaved surfaces. H-5146 is stable but has a slight growl and vibration. H-5167 is very nice, but I had stopped riding the 16S as my main wheel long before I finally got my hands on one, so it’s hard to compare by memory. CST C-1488 as a 16x2.5 feels thinner than the other ones, and is not as stable.

Interesting, that tire is an exact copy of the CST C-1488 pattern! But since it doesn’t seem to be made by CST, the rubber can be different, making it feel different as well.

Tubeless setup requires a tubeless valve, which requires drilling to fit in an EUC rim. I would go with a tube, also because the EUC rims are a bit hard to seal with a tubeless tire. You do need a new tube though, since the 16x2.125” tube is too  small.

Edited by mrelwood
  • Like 1