There's Always a New Way to Fall

So just when I thought I have experienced/read about/watched/imagined, every conceivable way to come off an EUC, Saturday I experienced a new one, for me.

weather: 4deg. C clear, dry

Safety gear: Wrist guards, elbow pads, Wooly hat (?), 

Other: thick, heavy, long vintage woolen overcoat, yellow ski goggles, and sunglasses.

Scenario:  Cruising on a long dry tarmac promenade, I observed a connected wooden deck area, and used it to do a casual, elongated 180.  During my second turn ( to re-enter the tarmac promenade, I felt the wheel undramatically sliding away from me sideways.  In an instant, I was down, and up too.  I was quite amazed,  because I usually groan like an old man even when getting off the couch.  I'm not sure what made contact with the decking (right wrist guard probably, and possibly right knee, through thick overcoat).but I had no pain or damage, then, or the next day. My wheel, came to a harmless stop, on its side, with no damage or scuffs.

Cause:  After standing up, I went back to where I lost grip.  There was a low area in the decking where moisture gathered and lingered.  The moisture was an ideal growth medium for algae/mold.  This alga was very slick, and combined with my lean into the corner, caused the tire to slide sideways.

It was remarkably undramatic, and almost funny.  For a 56-year-old man who does no exercise, I even surprised myself at how much it simply was almost, a non-event.

Lesson:  When the road is dry, you still have to watch out for low spots where slime can grow, usually indicated by a darker color than the surrounding dry area.

Possible Additional Lesson: When the road is wet, you still have to watch out for low spots where slime can grow, usually disguised by being the same color.

Falling and bailing are learned skills, so the 100 plus iteration is going to be graceful. 

I suspect every rider here has between 100 to 500 run offs, maybe a lot more. I had two yesterday and over a dozen today, trying to learn pendulums on a different sized wheel.

I wonder if it is sometimes better not to learn something too well, as I personally find readjusting extremely hard to do, the body wants to do what it has always done exactly the same. 

Wooden surfaces are a crime against cyclists, wheelers, even pedestrians. Should be outright banned, because when wet they get insanely slippery. No algae needed. Just shows how little respect everyone else gets compared to cars, nobody sane would remotely think a wooden floor on a car bridge (e.g.) was even worth discussing.

Same applies to metal gratings. Fuck the slippery bastards.

Some guy in Paris had a bad faceplant during the October meetup days on these fucking wooden boards used for flooring in some car-free area between buildings.

5 hours ago, The Fat Unicyclist said:

If only you had recently bought a flash new helmet... Think how much safer you might have been?

I was wondering when someone would pick up on that OBVIOUS clue.  But it's a 100% traffic free area, smooth, wide, flat; and at best I'm cruising at sub 20kmh speeds.  Dressing like Darth Smoother was just too OTT.  It would just scare all the geriatrics, small dogs, and children, trying to get some exercise and sea air.  Besides, It would clash with my "Mad Men" style overcoat, and white scarf.:)   I'm actually wondering in which circumstances I would wear it. My other common trip is up main street to visit my brother, a trip of about 1 mile or less, mostly on sidewalks, or 100% on sidewalks if I choose.  Maybe when I start traveling again, in the spring.

11 hours ago, Smoother said:

But it's a 100% traffic free area, smooth, wide, flat; and at best I'm cruising at sub 20kmh speeds.  

Yes, it makes much more sense to only wear a helmet when you know you're going to have an accident. :huh:

On 12/19/2017 at 6:26 AM, Smoother said:

I was wondering when someone would pick up on that OBVIOUS clue.  But it's a 100% traffic free area, smooth, wide, flat; and at best I'm cruising at sub 20kmh speeds.  Dressing like Darth Smoother was just too OTT.  It would just scare all the geriatrics, small dogs, and children, trying to get some exercise and sea air.  Besides, It would clash with my "Mad Men" style overcoat, and white scarf.:)   I'm actually wondering in which circumstances I would wear it. My other common trip is up main street to visit my brother, a trip of about 1 mile or less, mostly on sidewalks, or 100% on sidewalks if I choose.  Maybe when I start traveling again, in the spring.

Because I've had more than a few crashes that shredded my helmets, I do try to wear a minimal skateboard helmet (Bell, $12 with butterflies on it which probably accounted for its price) even on my slower unicycles. My argument is that while hitting yourself is extremely low on say a Segway S1, the cost of hitting your head is sadly extremely high. Even with a helmet I have suffered a concussion with vomiting. Even after all these years I suspect getting that concussion somewhat changed my personality to being somewhat pissed off all the time whereas before I never was. And that was with a helmet.

I don't always wear a helmet, I admit that. I have bought several cheap "butterfly" helmets (helmets marked down because they have designs so soul-destroying ugly that only I ever buy them) that I keep in my car, at work, at home, in addition to my more expensive helmets. Just having the helmet immediately available makes you more likely to use it.

On 12/20/2017 at 10:13 AM, LanghamP said:

I have bought several cheap "butterfly" helmets (helmets marked down because they have designs so soul-destroying ugly that only I ever buy them)

lol

Archived