share your past euc injuries and what went wrong

30 minutes ago, Roo Williams said:

Slammed again last Thursday! Was riding my Tesla alongside some cars, accelerating, went over a manhole cover which didn’t look like an issue but knocked the wheel off balance and I went forward and down at around 20mph. I watched cars drive past at speed, my Tesla bounced into the middle of the road and they were driving over and thankfully clearing it as it lay on its side. I got up, stopped the cars, picked it up and it came back on as if just recovering from being dropped on its side and started spinning like crazy while I hobbled over to the side of the road.

Glad you survived. Nasty looking but the dressings will help it heal faster. Your lucky a car did not roll over you! Pot holes and manhole covers. So many hidden dangers lurking out there to ruin a rider’s day. 

• Replies 67
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Sorry to hear about your spill.  Those dips that caused your first crash are devilish because they're often hard to detect visually if you're not paying close attention.  I've come close a couple of times to losing control going over one.  I think if I'd been going any faster, I'd have lost control.  

My next upgrade is a full-faced helmet and then knee pads.  I've made a point of keeping my speed down until I get them.  

44 minutes ago, mezzanine said:

Those dips that caused your first crash are devilish because they're often hard to detect visually if you're not paying close attention. 

This is why I actually prefer riding at night (twilight is best). Roads where I live (essentially a sandy peninsula) are full of these bowls in the roads where the surface just sinks down as the base layer washes away. A long throw light mounted low on the wheel puts them all into shadow. You then just have to avoid all the inky black spots. During the day they are lethal although have not yet felled the V8. Don't think I've ever caught one on a corner though.

@Roo Williams ooouch! you're lucky you didn't bust a kneecap! i was worried i might have a couple of months ago - wasn't going as fast as you were though. only wearing a helmet. now i wear the pads, and if not, for some reason, i keep myself down to ~5mph. good luck mending up!

7 hours ago, Rehab1 said:

Glad you survived. Nasty looking but the dressings will help it heal faster. Your lucky a car did not roll over you! Pot holes and manhole covers. So many hidden dangers lurking out there to ruin a rider’s day. 

Yeah I've been taking some risks lately and riding in front of cars sometimes. If something unexpected happens then they're gonna struggle to stop and that's going to be the end of me. I think this was a good reminder to not ever trust these things fully.

I suit up for every ride, but my rides are usually around 40-45 minutes.  I imagine for shorter commutes the time needed to don safety gear becomes a pain, but judging from the photos likely not as much of a pain as riding without them.  :blink:

It's almost like a superhero costume where I velcro on my calf covers, protective shorts, knee pads, moto-jacket, helmet and wrist guard full gloves.  You feel prepared to take on almost anything a bad spill can give you.

Nice how no one stopped to check if you were alright and offer a hand.  :huh:  But I guess this is New York, and everyone's in a rush to get where they are going?  Where's the compassion and empathy gone?

3 minutes ago, Hunka Hunka Burning Love said:

I suit up for every ride, but my rides are usually around 40-45 minutes.  I imagine for shorter commutes the time needed to don safety gear becomes a pain, but judging from the photos likely not as much of a pain as riding without them.  :blink:

With all my gear going under my clothes it takes me as much time to suit up/down as it does to do my 20 minute commute. A real pain and my biggest gripe about riding...but I wouldn't ever not do it. Thanks @Roo Williams and everyone else who swallows their pride to reveal their battle wounds on here and remind us all to gear up.

10 hours ago, Roo Williams said:

Slammed again last Thursday! Was riding my Tesla alongside some cars, accelerating, went over a manhole cover which didn’t look like an issue but knocked the wheel off balance and I went forward and down at around 20mph. I watched cars drive past at speed, my Tesla bounced into the middle of the road and they were driving over and thankfully clearing it as it lay on its side. I got up, stopped the cars, picked it up and it came back on as if just recovering from being dropped on its side and started spinning like crazy while I hobbled over to the side of the road.

Had my lunch in a brown paper bag in my hand, and my pads in my bag ?. Was 3 minutes from being where I planned to stop, eat my lunch and put my pads on for the rest of my journey. It was a hot day so I was wearing shorts ?. I was lucky to not end up under a car but I took some nasty road rash to my left knee and elbow which immediately started bleeding. I got my pads out and put them on, with napkins from the lunch bag between my skin and the pads to hold the blood.

Nasty pic attached, this was after I quietly rode home and started to clean myself up.

My lunch survived and I ate it shortly after. ?

I’m trying out those transparent waterproof dressings and although I think it’s helping let the body get to work healing without having to form a scab, it’s pretty oozey! ?

No ride will be unpadded from now on.

D568197D-878A-4C38-B2FC-D5CD8DFE81A9.jpeg

Glad you survived :thumbup:

No matter how short the trip I now always wear wrist guards and am trying to develop the habit of always throwing my knee pads on. Guess we all have to go through enough pain to develop the habit.

What helped me was to time how long it takes to put this basic gear on. For me it's ~1-1/2 minutes. This is not a long time, so I just suck it up and put the stuff on.

10 hours ago, Roo Williams said:

My lunch survived and I ate it shortly after. ?

I'm glad that you both survived... Even though it was short lived for your lunch.   ?

I ate shit today and am all scraped up. Tried to cruise through a little patch of gravel I cruise through all the time at full speed. It's a small patch of it and I usually ride right through. Well, they filled it with new gravel and it's super deep so my wheel just sunk and stuck and I flew through the air. Oddly enough my toe hurts more than anything even though I'm road rashed up on my whole right side. My left toe hurts the most. 

18 minutes ago, kasenutty said:

I ate shit today and am all scraped up. Tried to cruise through a little patch of gravel I cruise through all the time at full speed. It's a small patch of it and I usually ride right through. Well, they filled it with new gravel and it's super deep so my wheel just sunk and stuck and I flew through the air. Oddly enough my toe hurts more than anything even though I'm road rashed up on my whole right side. My left toe hurts the most. 

Bugger... I empathise with you (and your pain)...

I love riding at speed on gravel - and it scares the crap out of me at the same time! I guess that is because you are at "the edge,"  which also means you are always close to "launch!"

It's this  little patch of gravel that extends out into the pavement on the shoulder and it has a pleasant transition to it, so I always enjoy booping over it. It was just deep as hell today, I couldn't believe it. As soon as the very front edge of my wheel touched it, I knew it was over. 

ETA - I also wanna say this felt like a haunted ride. I'm fixing up and selling this condo I rented out for years and was working there today all day painting, and was pretty worn out and decided to go for a ride. From the very start, I was feeling all wobbly and just not riding very well. I was going slow then fast and sort of zoning out. Feeling wobbly the whole way. I shoulda turned right around, but thought the ride would be relaxing. I was probably too tired to ride very well as well as the gravel being freshly filled. 

1 hour ago, kasenutty said:

Thank you for not posting pictures. I've seen enough torn up skin this week :blink1:

2 hours ago, kasenutty said:

It's this  little patch of gravel that extends out into the pavement on the shoulder and it has a pleasant transition to it, so I always enjoy booping over it. It was just deep as hell today, I couldn't believe it. As soon as the very front edge of my wheel touched it, I knew it was over. 

ETA - I also wanna say this felt like a haunted ride. I'm fixing up and selling this condo I rented out for years and was working there today all day painting, and was pretty worn out and decided to go for a ride. From the very start, I was feeling all wobbly and just not riding very well. I was going slow then fast and sort of zoning out. Feeling wobbly the whole way. I shoulda turned right around, but thought the ride would be relaxing. I was probably too tired to ride very well as well as the gravel being freshly filled. 

Paint fumes... They get you every time...

3 hours ago, kasenutty said:

I ate shit today and am all scraped up. 

Aww man! It’s horrible to hear about people hurting themselves doing this because although EUCs have shown themselves to be a valuable tool for getting around, there’s still something quite pure and creatively innocent about riding them. It takes a certain kind of person to say fuck convention and decide to get on one, and then when they get hurt it’s like watching someone kick down another kid’s sandcastle... Just not fair!

Hope you heal soon.

I did buy a bumper pack of those waterproof dressings, they’re super cheap on Amazon compared to your local store, might be worth trying to get some on prime:

Transparent Adhesive Dressing Waterproof 4" X 4" 3/4 (10 Cm X 12 Cm) 50 Per Box (1) https://www.amazon.com/dp/B01HAK2VUO/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_api_i_QtN7Ab7XK3FJR

And for anyone else - I recommend having a pack around! They aren’t perfect but are protecting my bare flesh from rubbing against my clothes and keep the wound moist without any bulkyness. Apparently they speed up the healing, I’m guessing because your body doesn’t need to form a scab before it starts getting to work fixing and everything remains moist enough to move around and do it’s thing! Yummy.

Loose, deeper gravel is the worst.  It's like the wheel suddenly slows down while your still going forwards so you have to try to catch yourself all of a sudden.  It's like someone pulling the rug out from under you.  I always go super slow through the stuff if I'm not sure about it.  Even going fast around curves with some loose gravel I'll slow down a bit.  Doing a sideskid might be fun when you're expecting it or if you are EUC Extreme, but for me, I don't like to ever crash if possible.

damn i had a little shake. I was riding full speed down a road i know. Then a deep pothole appeared. Gave me a hard jump. My tesla handled it just fine and i did too. I need to be a little bit more carefull. But i got tested today. And now i know that even medium big potholes i can deal with. if i ever end up in that situation ? phew

9 hours ago, Hunka Hunka Burning Love said:

Loose, deeper gravel is the worst.  It's like the wheel suddenly slows down while your still going forwards so you have to try to catch yourself all of a sudden.  It's like someone pulling the rug out from under you.  I always go super slow through the stuff if I'm not sure about it.  Even going fast around curves with some loose gravel I'll slow down a bit.  Doing a sideskid might be fun when you're expecting it or if you are EUC Extreme, but for me, I don't like to ever crash if possible.

Sand will do the same thing, if it is an inch or two deep.  The tire slows down so quickly, that the rider is falling off.

1 hour ago, Shad0z said:

damn i had a little shake. I was riding full speed down a road i know. Then a deep pothole appeared. Gave me a hard jump. My tesla handled it just fine and i did too. I need to be a little bit more carefull. But i got tested today. And now i know that even medium big potholes i can deal with. if i ever end up in that situation ? phew

Take it easy ShaDoz, we need you safe and well! 

• 1 month later...

I just had to share this Facebook thread that I saw today. Made me laugh - everyone sharing their war stories. Makes me want to stay indoors today :D

Anders Figenschow
Anders Figenschow Pedal hit a curb
Manage

· Reply · 10h
Anders Figenschow
Anders Figenschow I fell just one hour ago. Was right next to an emergency room. No line though, cost me $100 though. Now buying antibiotics.
Manage

· Reply · 10h · Edited
Anders Figenschow
Anders Figenschow Oh man... My ankle is growing in size. I guess back to the ER and have some pictures taken.
Manage

· Reply · 9h
Steinar Berntsen
Steinar Berntsen Oichhhhhh 1f622.png?1f622.png?1f622.png?
Manage

· Reply · 9h
Marty Backe
Write a reply...

Anders Figenschow
Anders Figenschow Well that ruined my day
Manage

· Reply · 9h
Steinar Berntsen
Steinar Berntsen One positive thing about the ninebot E I'm riding. Less speed gives less pain when having an accident 1f609.png?
Manage

· Reply · 9h
Jason Garcia
Jason Garcia I cracked a hip on a Ninebot One E at 14mph. It still hurt!
Manage

· Reply · 9h
Oliver Brachmann
Oliver Brachmann May you should switch to chess? 1f609.png?
Manage

· Reply · 8h
Anders Figenschow
Anders Figenschow I was riding walking speed when I fell now, but the wheel spin threw me off
Manage

· Reply · 8h
Marty Backe
Write a reply...

Jason Garcia
Jason Garcia You didn't wear pads huh?...
Manage

· Reply · 9h
Steinar Berntsen
Steinar Berntsen Vikings ride in short pants in summertime 1f4aa.png? And cry like men while having accidents 1f602.png?
Manage

· Reply · 9h
Anders Figenschow
Anders Figenschow Pretty much!
Manage

· Reply · 9h
Steinar Berntsen
Steinar Berntsen And people says Norwegians are cold as ice and never show feelings unless completely drunk....
Manage

· Reply · 9h
Jason Garcia
Jason Garcia Fucking Vikings never went to the ER! 1f602.png?1f602.png?1f602.png?
Manage

· Reply · 9h
Jason Garcia
Jason Garcia Fucking. Vikings didn't get A&D squirted on their boo-boos either! 1f602.png?1f602.png?1f602.png?
Manage

· Reply · 8h
Steinar Berntsen
Steinar Berntsen Nope...and they never cryed...So that what we became over the years 1f644.png?
Manage

· Reply · 8h
Marty Backe
Write a reply...

William Jordan

William Jordan That not bad! This was bad.... never shared this crash due to stupidity and asking for it on my part but here you go.Manage
Image may contain: one or more people

· Reply · 8h
Dwayne Mishond Peterson
Dwayne Mishond Peterson I had something similar
Manage

· Reply · 2h
Marty Backe
Write a reply...

William Jordan

William Jordan

William Jordan

William Jordan

William Jordan

William Jordan

William Jordan O then there was this one about 2 weeks ago....Manage
Image may contain: one or more people and shoes

· Reply · 7h
William Jordan

William Jordan

William Jordan But that one I had all my gear on and unfortunately the fire hydrant I ran into didn't move....1f923.png?1f923.png?
Manage

Haha
Love
Haha
Wow
Sad
Angry

· Reply · 7h
William Jordan

William Jordan And only doctor I've seen was super glue and bandages. YouTube doctor in the house!
Manage

· Reply · 7h
Michal Chaláni
Michal Chaláni gotway is top...Where is the problem?
Manage

· Reply · 7h
Chris Mathaw
Chris Mathaw Sorry about your injury my friend. Speedy recovery. Damn William Jordan you are the man.Manage

· Reply · 5h
Michael King
Michael King Oh damn . Get well soon!.
Manage

· Reply · 5h
Chris Mathaw
Chris Mathaw I made the Dumb decision to ride a few blocks without pads when I picked up my wheel and paid for it.
Manage

· Reply · 4h
Alex Turtel
Alex Turtel My wrist when I was pushed off.Manage
Image may contain: one or more people and indoor

· Reply · 2h
Alex Turtel
Alex Turtel Surgery, metal plate in my wrist and a month and a half out of work.
Manage

· Reply · 2h
Marty Backe
Write a reply...

Jim Gaughan
Jim Gaughan I spent 82 days in a hospital bed from high speed cut-out on my MSuper V2 on May 1st of 2016. Tore my tibia and fibula bones from the knee socket and broke my wrist also so I could not use crutches or wheel chair, that is why I stayed in hospital so longManage
Image may contain: one or more people and closeup

· Reply · 35m
Jim Gaughan
Jim Gaughan 3 metal plates and 8 screwsManage
Image may contain: screen

· Reply · 33m
Anders Figenschow
 · Reply · 33m
Jim Gaughan
Jim Gaughan went out for a Sunday ride and could not go home for 82 days, it was like a prison sentence
Manage

· Reply · 32m
Jim Gaughan
Jim Gaughan The whole time in hospital I watched EUC videos on my laptop, lol
Manage

· Reply · 31m
Jim Gaughan
Jim Gaughan Family thinks I am insane, lol;
Manage

· Reply · 31m
Marty Backe
Write a comment...

5 minutes ago, Marty Backe said:

I just had to share this Facebook thread that I saw today. Made me laugh - everyone sharing their war stories. Makes me want to stay indoors today :D

Anders Figenschow
Anders Figenschow Pedal hit a curb
Manage

· Reply · 10h
Anders Figenschow
Anders Figenschow I fell just one hour ago. Was right next to an emergency room. No line though, cost me $100 though. Now buying antibiotics.
Manage

· Reply · 10h · Edited
Anders Figenschow
Anders Figenschow Oh man... My ankle is growing in size. I guess back to the ER and have some pictures taken.
Manage

· Reply · 9h
Steinar Berntsen
Steinar Berntsen Oichhhhhh 1f622.png?1f622.png?1f622.png?
Manage

· Reply · 9h
Marty Backe
Write a reply...

Anders Figenschow
Anders Figenschow Well that ruined my day
Manage

· Reply · 9h
Steinar Berntsen
Steinar Berntsen One positive thing about the ninebot E I'm riding. Less speed gives less pain when having an accident 1f609.png?
Manage

· Reply · 9h
Jason Garcia
Jason Garcia I cracked a hip on a Ninebot One E at 14mph. It still hurt!
Manage

· Reply · 9h
Oliver Brachmann
Oliver Brachmann May you should switch to chess? 1f609.png?
Manage

· Reply · 8h
Anders Figenschow
Anders Figenschow I was riding walking speed when I fell now, but the wheel spin threw me off
Manage

· Reply · 8h
Marty Backe
Write a reply...

Jason Garcia
Jason Garcia You didn't wear pads huh?...
Manage

· Reply · 9h
Steinar Berntsen
Steinar Berntsen Vikings ride in short pants in summertime 1f4aa.png? And cry like men while having accidents 1f602.png?
Manage

· Reply · 9h
Anders Figenschow
Anders Figenschow Pretty much!
Manage

· Reply · 9h
Steinar Berntsen
Steinar Berntsen And people says Norwegians are cold as ice and never show feelings unless completely drunk....
Manage

· Reply · 9h
Jason Garcia
Jason Garcia Fucking Vikings never went to the ER! 1f602.png?1f602.png?1f602.png?
Manage

· Reply · 9h
Jason Garcia
Jason Garcia Fucking. Vikings didn't get A&D squirted on their boo-boos either! 1f602.png?1f602.png?1f602.png?
Manage

· Reply · 8h
Steinar Berntsen
Steinar Berntsen Nope...and they never cryed...So that what we became over the years 1f644.png?
Manage

· Reply · 8h
Marty Backe
Write a reply...

William Jordan

William Jordan That not bad! This was bad.... never shared this crash due to stupidity and asking for it on my part but here you go.Manage

· Reply · 8h
Dwayne Mishond Peterson
Dwayne Mishond Peterson I had something similar
Manage

· Reply · 2h
Marty Backe
Write a reply...

William Jordan

William Jordan

William Jordan

William Jordan

William Jordan

William Jordan

William Jordan O then there was this one about 2 weeks ago....Manage
Image may contain: one or more people and shoes

· Reply · 7h
William Jordan

William Jordan

William Jordan But that one I had all my gear on and unfortunately the fire hydrant I ran into didn't move....1f923.png?1f923.png?
Manage

Haha

Love

Haha

Wow

Sad

Angry

· Reply · 7h
William Jordan

William Jordan And only doctor I've seen was super glue and bandages. YouTube doctor in the house!
Manage

· Reply · 7h
Michal Chaláni
Michal Chaláni gotway is top...Where is the problem?
Manage

· Reply · 7h
Chris Mathaw
Chris Mathaw Sorry about your injury my friend. Speedy recovery. Damn William Jordan you are the man.Manage

· Reply · 5h
Michael King
Michael King Oh damn . Get well soon!.
Manage

· Reply · 5h
Chris Mathaw
Chris Mathaw I made the Dumb decision to ride a few blocks without pads when I picked up my wheel and paid for it.
Manage

· Reply · 4h
Alex Turtel
Alex Turtel My wrist when I was pushed off.Manage
Image may contain: one or more people and indoor

· Reply · 2h
Alex Turtel
Alex Turtel Surgery, metal plate in my wrist and a month and a half out of work.
Manage

· Reply · 2h
Marty Backe
Write a reply...

Jim Gaughan
Jim Gaughan I spent 82 days in a hospital bed from high speed cut-out on my MSuper V2 on May 1st of 2016. Tore my tibia and fibula bones from the knee socket and broke my wrist also so I could not use crutches or wheel chair, that is why I stayed in hospital so longManage
Image may contain: one or more people and closeup

· Reply · 35m
Jim Gaughan
Jim Gaughan 3 metal plates and 8 screwsManage
Image may contain: screen

· Reply · 33m
Anders Figenschow
 · Reply · 33m
Jim Gaughan
Jim Gaughan went out for a Sunday ride and could not go home for 82 days, it was like a prison sentence
Manage

· Reply · 32m
Jim Gaughan
Jim Gaughan The whole time in hospital I watched EUC videos on my laptop, lol
Manage

· Reply · 31m
Jim Gaughan
Jim Gaughan Family thinks I am insane, lol;
Manage

· Reply · 31m
Marty Backe
Write a comment...

can you send a link to the post? Its glitching a little

On ‎4‎/‎9‎/‎2018 at 2:35 AM, mezzanine said:

I didn't appreciate how much the surface of the road changes with the weather and wear; it's like a layer of skin.  It's not a comfortable feeling to recognize you're riding about 6 inches from a pothole that would likely send you to the hospital if you miscalculated and hit it.  

Think you know your route and have all the dangers mapped in your mind?  A week later and there will be new potholes in places there wasn't before.  

My last fall was due to a pothole that ironically got filled in a week later.  

now im looking back at this and thinking why didnt i ride slower when i crashed at the asphalt that cracked one day and wasnt the other. But you could always keep riding max 15kph and beiing super carefull. But why ride if its more if a problem than an enjoyment. So ride at reasonable speed and be alert. Thats what i think should be done. And and nothing much can be done to fix the issue of accidental crashes because you didnt spot a hole in the road. the only thing i think could done other than staying alert and going reasonable speed would probably be brute force just getting euc with bigger wheels. And learning to always have you legs ready to absorb bumps

45 minutes ago, Shad0z said:

can you send a link to the post? Its glitching a little

Sorry, now I can't seem to find the link ?

1 hour ago, Shad0z said:

now im looking back at this and thinking why didnt i ride slower when i crashed at the asphalt that cracked one day and wasnt the other. But you could always keep riding max 15kph and beiing super carefull. But why ride if its more if a problem than an enjoyment. So ride at reasonable speed and be alert. Thats what i think should be done. And and nothing much can be done to fix the issue of accidental crashes because you didnt spot a hole in the road. the only thing i think could done other than staying alert and going reasonable speed would probably be brute force just getting euc with bigger wheels. And learning to always have you legs ready to absorb bumps

Yup, I've gone through the same thought process.  Those of us who live in places with variable climates have to be extra careful because of the way changing temperatures causes asphalt to expand and contract.  I've considered bringing my phone with me and taking pictures of the various potholes along my route and sending them to the city to be filled in, but it's too much hassle.  It was annoying to see that the last pothole to catch me got filled in a week after I crashed.  

Personally, I'm not a fan of riding over 35km/h.  I don't like that new wheels are basically just taking the same designs for the most part and raising the max speed as though that should be the measure of progress.  

Archived