share your past euc injuries and what went wrong

i need to hear about a few injuries on eucs to get an idea about what to expect and then buy some gear to proctect me and also to prove my freind wrong he is 100% sure that if i fall off my back is going to be scratched away and both legs broken and a lot more over eccagurated stuff

so enlighten me with your past injuries 

and how it happened at what speed and the injuries

• Replies 67
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • 3 months later...

Roots... my mortal enemy. A pushed-up root on the trail is how I blew out my knee, it was right at the turn and I was at an angle when I hit it. 

As I understand wound healing, you will get less scarring if you keep that covered and moist. Since it's on your face you will probably want to do that, unless you are planning on growing a beard! I used something called Tegaderm for road rash in the past but I don't know if it's good for facial wounds.

I didn't appreciate how much the surface of the road changes with the weather and wear; it's like a layer of skin.  It's not a comfortable feeling to recognize you're riding about 6 inches from a pothole that would likely send you to the hospital if you miscalculated and hit it.  

Think you know your route and have all the dangers mapped in your mind?  A week later and there will be new potholes in places there wasn't before.  

My last fall was due to a pothole that ironically got filled in a week later.  

1) Tried walking a dog that was too big (55#), and got pulled down hard on knee. Even with knee pads, this has been my most painful injury. Still healing after 6 months.

2) Hitting things with my foot pedals. about 3 times. No fun.

3) Hitting a car that pulled out of downtown parking garage. Minor wrist pain. Learned to wear wrist guards. I was going too fast.

4) Wearing cheap knee pads. They bit into my knees after falling, causing large bloody gashes. Luckily healed without stitches after 6-8 weeks. Got good knee pads. Lesson learned. Discovered how good knee pads are awesome after a couple more falls...no injuries.

5) In general, have to stay vigilant on speed. Easy to get over confident. Much better to slow down at every intersection, door way, around people/cars, etc. Running into a person would be my nightmare.

Had my first spill today at 23mph, rode into a sharp dip in the cycle lane that I didn't spot. I ended up with my left leg dropping first, I assume my foot hit the floor and then I'm flying through the air horizontally. Hit the deck, on my left knee/shin pad, left hip and finally slapped my left hand down and slid for a good couple of meters on my left side. Tesla went skidding off on its left side and came to a stop which scuffed and tore some of the foam padding.

Ended up on my back. As I stood up people swarmed towards me... dusted myself off and explained that I was ok, that was the first fall I've had, thanked them for their concern. 

Motorcycle gloves got scuffed, jacket ripped at the sleeve, bag has a few friction burns. My hip hurts the most, gonna have a tasty bruise. I know you can get motorcycle jeans that have protective pads on the hips, but does anyone know of a hip protection that you can just insert into any pants? I couldn't see anything... I might take a crack at making a pair.

Attached the Strava log from my fall. You can see where I zig zagged back to go investigate what got me, and images of my left side and gear post fall. Will add a couple more of Tesla after work.

Screen Shot 2018-04-17 at 10.58.46 AM.png

IMG_4074.JPG

IMG_4073.JPG

IMG_4075.JPG

IMG_E40944EDA17D-1.jpeg

15 minutes ago, Roo Williams said:

Motorcycle gloves got scuffed, jacket ripped at the sleeve, bag has a few friction burns. My hip hurts the most, gonna have a tasty bruise. I know you can get motorcycle jeans that have protective pads on the hips, but does anyone know of a hip protection that you can just insert into any pants? I couldn't see anything... I might take a crack at making a pair.

I'm glad you made it out relatively OK. Without the knee pads and gloves I think you'd be in a different situation.

I wear these under regular clothes:

https://g-form.com/catalog/product/view/id/351/s/padded-compression-shorts/category/133/

I have the pro-x shorts and shirt and the elite knee and elbow protection. All is very comfortable and can be worn as a base layer under practically any clothing. The shorts could provide the under clothing hip protection you seek as well as coccyx and thigh.

21 minutes ago, Roo Williams said:

Had my first spill today at 23mph, rode into a sharp dip in the cycle lane that I didn't spot. I ended up with my left leg dropping first, I assume my foot hit the floor and then I'm flying through the air horizontally. Hit the deck, on my left knee/shin pad, left hip and finally slapped my left hand down and slid for a good couple of meters on my left side. Tesla went skidding off on its left side and came to a stop which scuffed and tore some of the foam padding.

Ended up on my back. As I stood up people swarmed towards me... dusted myself off and explained that I was ok, that was the first fall I've had, thanked them for their concern. 

Attached the Strava log from my fall. You can see where I zig zagged back to go investigate what got me, and images of my left side and gear post fall. Will add a couple more of Tesla after work.

Sorry to hear about your fall, I am glad you escaped lasting injuries. I wear "snow pants" (shorts) under my jeans and they provide pretty good padding at EUCs speeds. I fell off a later and broke my hip last year, so I was gun shy when learning to ride the E+. "Unfortunately" now that I can handle it pretty well I have stopped wearing the under pants padded underwear. If I get a faster wheel than the E+ I will start wearing them again. Heal fast.

56 minutes ago, Roo Williams said:

Screen Shot 2018-04-17 at 10.58.46 AM.png

IMG_4074.JPG

IMG_4073.JPG

IMG_4075.JPG

when i fell it was at the same speed as you but i rolled, it takes off a lot of the stress on your body. but i got a big scraping on the hip. and guess what. my sleeve on my jacket tore too :D 

and that was my first fall too... coincidence?

My plan was always to roll, or slide on my knee pads but I didn't spot the dip, had no notice and had no time to realize I was going down and get in position. As I was sliding I remember thinking 'whoa that happened fast!'

I thought about the shorts situation but that means a change at work.. not a lot of compromise considering the protection it could offer me, but then I also envision using these sorts of pads and just sliding them in between my current pants and boxers: https://www.revzilla.com/motorcycle/spidi-warrior-lite-hip-armor

1 hour ago, WARPed1701D said:

I'm glad you made it out relatively OK. Without the knee pads and gloves I think you'd be in a different situation.

Thanks, for sure! I'm glad of those.

16 hours ago, Roo Williams said:

My plan was always to roll, or slide on my knee pads but I didn't spot the dip, had no notice and had no time to realize I was going down and get in position. As I was sliding I remember thinking 'whoa that happened fast!'

Yeah, when you're at speed and hit a bump or get a cutout there isn't a lot of time to think about what you'll do. The best approach is to be prepared with protective equipment, and yours looks like it did its job!

@Roo Williams See  how  you are feeling the day after. Be careful, some pains don't show up for a day or so.

Last week when I went down, I hit a hard edge of the pavement as it transitioned to grass, my wheel went into wobble, and I went down smoothly on my knees. It was the nicest and smoothest fall I have had yet, and my new knee pads worked perfectly absorbing almost all the impact.

The next day, I felt slight pains in my abdomen and side, which I attribute to my weight hitting the ground. It only lasted a  day, so I was pretty happy.

"That which does not kill you..."

@Circuitmage I'm all good, thanks! Ice packed my hip last night which has helped, this morning walked the dog, got back on my Tesla and commuted to work. No issues! Even took a photo of the dip that got me on the way past it (added it to my original post). I plan to buy a fluo pink spray can and circle any of these as I see them to make our bike lanes a little safer for smaller wheels.

19 hours ago, Roo Williams said:

So glad your ok and your protective gear worked perfectly! Imagine if you weren’t wearing the gear.

I like your articulated knee/shin guards. They even have built in knee hyperextension stops that protected your ligaments. Who is the manufacturer? 

41498828402_59f5975a41_b.jpg

Good. I learned the hard way to make sure I wear safety gear and go slower on any road I am not familiar with.

I admit, though,  I've started riding known routes without safety gear...I should probably stop that.

On 4/8/2018 at 9:35 PM, mezzanine said:

My last fall was due to a pothole that ironically got filled in a week later.  

Unfortunately the pothole I hit is still present. I feel like erecting a sign ‘Rehab1 was here’. 

17 minutes ago, Rehab1 said:

Unfortunately the pothole I hit is still present. I feel like erecting a sign ‘Rehab1 was here’. 

you should grafitti your claim using the paint-dispensing device!

24 minutes ago, Rehab1 said:

So glad your ok and your protective gear worked perfectly! Imagine if you weren’t wearing the gear.

I like your articulated knee/shin guards. They even have built in knee hyperextension stops that protected your ligaments. Who is the manufacturer? 

41498828402_59f5975a41_b.jpg

It's a Chinese brand - available here: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0739M2QSK/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o07_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

The articulation is pretty cool, though it does knock at the top of the movement when you're walking which makes you feel a little like Robocop. They are pretty comfortable but annoyingly the straps are elasticated the whole way around so I think if you hyper extended it would just lift away from your leg and not actually give you much support. I'd prefer something like nylon with a smaller elasticated section. You can also see, the one strap took a beating, not sure how long that's gonna last now.

27 minutes ago, Circuitmage said:

Good. I learned the hard way to make sure I wear safety gear and go slower on any road I am not familiar with.

I admit, though,  I've started riding known routes without safety gear...I should probably stop that.

Yeah, this was my daily commute! Have done it a lot. I think I was going faster than usual and looking off into where I was going, not what I was riding over.

2 minutes ago, Roo Williams said:

It's a Chinese brand - available here: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0739M2QSK/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o07_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

The articulation is pretty cool, though it does knock at the top of the movement when you're walking which makes you feel a little like Robocop. They are pretty comfortable but annoyingly the straps are elasticated the whole way around so I think if you hyper extended it would just lift away from your leg and not actually give you much support. I'd prefer something like nylon with a smaller elasticated section. You can also see, the one strap took a beating, not sure how long that's gonna last now.

If you have a quality shoe repair company near you they usually can make up new straps of your preference. 

8 hours ago, kour said:

you should grafitti your claim using the paint-dispensing device!

Sorry for the late response. I am itching to paint something again.  Funny with all of rain and snow we’ve had the Olympic symbol I painted stills remains in my driveway. Suppose I should pressure wash my concrete chalk board first before creating another infantile masterpiece.:P

• 3 weeks later...

Slammed again last Thursday! Was riding my Tesla alongside some cars, accelerating, went over a manhole cover which didn’t look like an issue but knocked the wheel off balance and I went forward and down at around 20mph. I watched cars drive past at speed, my Tesla bounced into the middle of the road and they were driving over and thankfully clearing it as it lay on its side. I got up, stopped the cars, picked it up and it came back on as if just recovering from being dropped on its side and started spinning like crazy while I hobbled over to the side of the road.

Had my lunch in a brown paper bag in my hand, and my pads in my bag ?. Was 3 minutes from being where I planned to stop, eat my lunch and put my pads on for the rest of my journey. It was a hot day so I was wearing shorts ?. I was lucky to not end up under a car but I took some nasty road rash to my left knee and elbow which immediately started bleeding. I got my pads out and put them on, with napkins from the lunch bag between my skin and the pads to hold the blood.

Nasty pic attached, this was after I quietly rode home and started to clean myself up.

My lunch survived and I ate it shortly after. ?

I’m trying out those transparent waterproof dressings and although I think it’s helping let the body get to work healing without having to form a scab, it’s pretty oozey! ?

No ride will be unpadded from now on.

D568197D-878A-4C38-B2FC-D5CD8DFE81A9.jpeg

Archived