Very ironic!

Catlord17

Recently started riding again after a month and a half of too-busy, and I have been using the rides to help me deal with a breakup.  I have also been using them for adventuring purposes, to explore places I have been before, but this time on an EUC.

What I find ironic is that places I used to think of as far away are now no longer thought of as such because I have ridden to them on my electric unicycle, and really noted the distance.  Like the "wilderness" trails near my house, which I thought had to be at least 6 miles away.  Turns out, riding to them... they're 4 miles away, and that's really not very far.  Even though it takes longer to get to them on my EUC, it seems a lot less far away now.  I guess it's all about paying attention.  In a car, we apparently... don't.

I also rode on those trails today, for about a mile.  Surprised how well the GW MSuper V3s+ eats roots.  I've been able to handle roots 1-2 inches out of the ground without falling.  This off road riding is a new level of skill demands, but for the most part, I'm doing it. Lots of fun.  I couldn't go further because of extremely unreasonable terrain and mud.  What sort of maximum limit should I expect from my wheel as to the size of roots it can handle going over?

4 hours ago, Catlord17 said:

What I find ironic is that places I used to think of as far away are now no longer thought of as such because I have ridden to them on my electric unicycle, and really noted the distance.

That's the way it is for me too. It's especially true for places that are 2 to 6 miles away from my home. It would take too long to walk to them and it's not that effective to drive there because you have to drive on slow streets, wait for traffic lights, and find a place to park. With the wheel they're close, plus they're FUN to get there! I'm getting a much better sense of the space by riding, I agree that we just don't pay attention in cars.

Lately I barely set foot outside the house without the wheel unless I'm going with my wife. I just made a run out for a couple of 6-packs of beer yesterday. It's only a 5 minute ride there and I have a backpack that fits 2 6-packs perfectly! It's also a 5-minute ride to our favorite pizza place, I get quite a few stares riding down the sidewalk while holding a pizza box in front of me.

here they called me the takeaway guy in the elevator(in Chinese) for bringing food home with the wheel. But mostly associated because they also have a yellow helmet like my EUC haha. too much yellow in China I guess (besides the red)

11 hours ago, Catlord17 said:

What I find ironic is that places I used to think of as far away are now no longer thought of as such because I have ridden to them on my electric unicycle, and really noted the distance.  Like the "wilderness" trails near my house, which I thought had to be at least 6 miles away.  Turns out, riding to them... they're 4 miles away, and that's really not very far.  Even though it takes longer to get to them on my EUC, it seems a lot less far away now.  I guess it's all about paying attention.  In a car, we apparently... don't.

When we were kids we had a small range we roamed within. 

Then we got push bikes - and our roaming range extended accordingly. 

Then we got motor bikes & cars - and our range extended further again. 

Then we got EUC - and we're kids again!* 

* Range irrelevant

Archived