THE HELMET THREAD

There is one thing I really don't like about the Giro Switchblade, and that I would probably hate with a full on MC-helmet. Above 20mph or so, the wind noise becomes really loud, masking the beeps from the alarm. Mileage may vary, as heads and ears are different. My ears have rock'n'roll and gunpowder damage, tinnitus and a slight one-sided depression in the speech frequencies. The combination of a too silent beep, wind noise, and abused hearing isn't ideal...

• Upvote 2

2 hours ago, yourtoys7 said:

@Scatcat you are absolutely right, it goes get loud, but what i find help is turning the head in either direction cuts out the noise and you able to hear beeps fine.

Going 25mph, I usually prefer to look where I'm going... :roflmao:

Let me just say I was very happy today that the tilt-back is so smooth. I have the alarm set to 40kph/25mph and the tilt-back at 42kph/26mph. I could go faster, but then I would have very little reserve torque left for pot-holes and such things. Let's not tempt fate and all that...

When you're in the groove, the feet planted in the perfect position and not yet tired, it is faaaar too easy hitting 25mph. And while the GT16 is fast, I prefer to keep at least 3mph or more to the limit.

Today the reason for tilt-back was me passing a dangerous biker. Not only did she go pretty fast, she wasn't going straight and at even speed. I sometimes have a sixth sense feeling that it is dangerous to stay behind someone, and it hit me this time. So I pushed it and overtook her ASAP. And then my trusty GT16 reminded me that stoopid is not a good idea.

Damn, maybe I should by myself one of those 100V monsters? Going 32mph doesn't seem so scary anymore. :D 
Except of course if you have to do some panic braking, then those extra 7mph doesn't really come in handy. ?

Edited by Scatcat
  • Like 1
  • Upvote 1

After a few days with the TSG Pass, I am really happy with this helmet. It has everything I want, it's light, small on the head, yet feels very quality made and I feel very safe in it. I think any crash that would bust this helmet would kill you anyway.

Two cons so far, there is wind whistling noise even at low speeds, it isn't very loud, my music covers it completely, but it's annoying at times, until I get used to it. The second is the strap which sucks tbh. The double D ring idea has been outdated for a decade or more. It's a genuine hassle to put this one or take it off sometimes. A locking ratchet system with quick-release is far superior.

I feel like a total badass wearing it, it has great visibility to the peripheral vision, comfortable, the visor is excellent blocking the sun & keeping wind out, and for some reason everytime I put it on I have "Sabotage" by the Beastie Boys as my personal theme song.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, fbhb said:

DO I NEED HELP? I think I may have started to develop a helmet collecting problem now that my current selection has reached a total of Five to choose from. I'm verging on owning as many helmets as @Marty Backe owns wheels ? (wouldn't mind having a wheel to match each helmet though, if truth be told).

388092608_MyHelmets.thumb.jpg.7a05ce95e7dc4e2d290537882b3249bd.jpg

Nice helmet collection :cheers:   I only have three. I need to up my game :D

• Like 2

23 minutes ago, Marty Backe said:

Thanks Marty, I have only really been using the full face ones when I'm riding the wheel. I already owned the two Ruroc's & the open face ones before I got my Tesla in January and had previously been using them for Electric Skateboard use only. Then I began using just the Black Ruroc with the wheel up until the most recently purchased TSG Pass, which I bought purely for EUC use and is just a fantastic helmet when riding the wheel.

Edited by fbhb
  • Like 2

57 minutes ago, Marty Backe said:

This is my favorite helmet for the motorcycling.  Shark Evoline gives you option to ride open face, full face, shade that will slide down and the shield. :cheers: 

Edited by Mark Lee
  • Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

FINALLY bought a full-faced helmet after far too long a wait.  I wish I lived in the states for buying protective gear because you guys get much better deals on this kind of stuff.  

Now I get to wait and see if the helmet will actually fit, which is nerve-wracking when you're plunking down significant cash and reviews are inevitably all over the place regarding sizing.  

Ended up going with a Leatt GPX 5.5 Composite.  It's a motocross helmet, but I've read some folks say that they use it for DH biking and it works okay because it's fairly light.  I had wanted to stick with a full-faced bicycle helmet for the added lightness, but went with best helmet I could afford.  

I'll update with further thoughts once it arrives and I get a chance to try it.  The downside to waiting for a deal was that I won't be able to return it if it doesn't fit.  

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

1 hour ago, mezzanine said:

Ended up going with a Leatt GPX 5.5 Composite.  It's a motocross helmet, but I've read some folks say that they use it for DH biking and it works okay because it's fairly light.  I had wanted to stick with a full-faced bicycle helmet for the added lightness, but went with best helmet I could afford.  

A good friend of mine is our local Scott importer. He told me that these days downhill mtb helmets are the same as motor cross helmets. At least for Scott.

• Like 1

I'm in the same boat as many here when it comes to building a helmet collection.  I was anxious before I first received my first EUC after reading some injury reports and felt like I needed to have all my bases covered before I set foot on the device.  In retrospect, I could have been more patient and waited until I learned more about what other folks have learned from their experiences before spending money.  

My primary helmet has been a Bern Brentwood that I liked because of the styling and the ability to swap out the summer liner for a winter liner with ear muffs.  The first helmet I bought was a Kali Maraka that hasn't seen much use.  For some reason it doesn't seem to feel "right" on my head.  I could probably benefit from watching some helmet fitting videos on youtube to see if I'm missing something.  

If I were doing it all over again, I'd have gone for the full-face helmet right from the jump.  I'm wondering whether I'd have preferred the TSG Pass that so many seem happy with based on this thread.  I like the look of it, but I'm not so sure about the visor.  I plunked down cash for a set of expensive goggles already and figure I could do without the visor.  

@mezzanine I have a Bern watts which I like a lot, I got it for much of the same reasons you did (swappable ear muffs) so I could use it for snowboarding too.   I have a TSG Pass ( I just got it) and if you like bern helmets, the tsg pass fits well  (its not too round like a lot of helmets).   The pass is very high quality for a non-motorcycle helmet.

• Like 1

55 minutes ago, that0n3guy said:

@mezzanine I have a Bern watts which I like a lot, I got it for much of the same reasons you did (swappable ear muffs) so I could use it for snowboarding too.   I have a TSG Pass ( I just got it) and if you like bern helmets, the tsg pass fits well  (its not too round like a lot of helmets).   The pass is very high quality for a non-motorcycle helmet.

I'm a little worried that I'll revert to using the Bern even after I get the full-faced helmet because it fits so well and doesn't look as goofy as a regular helmet.  Thanks for the guidance on how the TSG Pass fits compared to the Bern because that's exactly the kind of feedback I value after seeing how differently some helmets can fit.  

1 hour ago, mezzanine said:

I'm a little worried that I'll revert to using the Bern even after I get the full-faced helmet because it fits so well and doesn't look as goofy as a regular helmet.  Thanks for the guidance on how the TSG Pass fits compared to the Bern because that's exactly the kind of feedback I value after seeing how differently some helmets can fit.  

yeah, I probably bought 5-6 helmets online (returned all but the bern, then the tsp pass) before I found one that fit well.    I knew from my motorcycle helmet buying days that helmets just fit people in different ways.

On 6/7/2018 at 5:57 PM, mezzanine said:

I started of with a TSG Status (bicycle helmet with rear red led), then got a TSG Pass. The size are similar, but I feel 10 times safer in The Pass. It is very tight fit for me but once on,  it stays in same position which I like. Today on my commute home picking up a parcel on my EUC a kid (4-5ish) shouted out .."dad d's d's look whooa sooo cool" while he and his younger sister passed me on their push-scooters. 

Love my helm. ??This is from the other day. Sorry first real recording handheld ?

I am trying to match @eddiemoy cool-factor however I need to train more ?

Edited by Unventor
NOTE: Helmet size L. Headmeasure 58-59cm.
  • Like 2

5 minutes ago, Unventor said:

I started of with a TSG Status (bicycle helmet with rear red led), then got a TSG Pass. The size are similar, but I feel 10 times safer in The Pass. It is very tight fit for me but once o  it stays in same position which I like. Today on my commute home picking up a parcel on my EUC a kid (4-5ish) shouted out .."dad d's d's look whooa solo cool" while he and his younger sister passed me on their push-scooters. 

Love my helm. ??This is from the other day. Sorry first real recording handheld ?

I am trying to match @eddiemoy cool-factor however I need to train more ?

great high vis color yellow.  i have scratches on my visor already from throwing it around.  I love the helmet too, fits really snug for me too.  it used to make a chomping noise, the visor, after tightening the screws on the side, it doesn't do that anymore.  

did you end up getting the sony x3000?

Edited by eddiemoy

On 5/20/2018 at 5:01 AM, fbhb said:

DO I NEED HELP? I think I may have started to develop a helmet collecting problem now that my current selection has reached a total of Five to choose from. I'm verging on owning as many helmets as @Marty Backe owns wheels ? (wouldn't mind having a wheel to match each helmet though, if truth be told).

388092608_MyHelmets.thumb.jpg.7a05ce95e7dc4e2d290537882b3249bd.jpg

So which one do you prefer and why?

Personally I prefer colour to be more tragic safe. Hunch I chose Acid yellow for my Pass helm.

6 minutes ago, eddiemoy said:

did you end up getting the sony x3000?

Yes : bad GPS signal here between buildings.Looking to get a gimbal too.

But orders at a Hong Kong dealer. Trying to get out of that deal and buying inside EU instead. Better consumer protection due to EU laws a little more pricy though.

Edited by Unventor
Another brief view of my TSG Pass