5 hours ago, stephen said:

Its a bit round and the feild of veiw won't be that good through the letter box opening ,, nice grey colour though😂😂

haha, yeah, this is kind of an experiment, since the winter is coming.

I haven't try to ride with the face cover yet.

I can look left/right/back without problem while riding with just the 3/4 helmet.

Gonna invest on a down hill helmet next summer tho :)

9 minutes ago, Freewheeler said:

All the Gear All the Time (ATGATT)

I was riding along the Newport Beach bike trail as I've done dozens of times before. It's an 8'+/- paved path, with a speed limit of 8 mph and it's delineated for two way traffic. I had just come from Huntington Beach after a day of riding on surface streets so it was nice to be on safe, familiar ground. The foot and bike traffic was light for a Saturday so it was especially pleasing.

Up ahead I see a woman on a bicycle coming in the opposite direction. She makes a u-turn. Plenty of space between us. In fact, even though I was aware it occurred, it really didn't register as "a thing". Eventually I am coming up behind her, slowly and with my music playing kind of loud (as I'm known to do). With zero traffic I drift into the opposing lane to pass her when she suddenly turns sharply to the left and right into me.

We collide and I careen directly toward a half height, wrought iron fence with no hope of catching my fall. I immediately recognize that this is not a friendly fence. To my horror there is no horizontal top to it... just the ends of the verticals spaced out every 4-5 inches. I'm certain I tried to get my hand in between me and the fence to deflect my body away but it must has just glanced off because the next thing I feel is one of the verticals inside my helmet, grabbing my modular and flipping it up. The helmet got hung up on the fence and I pulled myself up and off. I promptly sat on the ground to complete the shock and awe session, regain my composure and to assess the damage.

I cannot say for certain my helmet preventing the fence from impaling me underneath my jaw and into my mouth, or up my nostril or through my eye, and into my brain... but I will simply assume that to be the case.

This came out of nowhere. I hadn't had a drop to drink (which is not always the case) and the moment was insidiously serene. 

I have over 2000 miles on each of my wheels. I feel I am as good of a rider as anyone. Experience did not save me.  

What am I thankful for?

1. I'm alive. It was not at all certain that I would be as I was experiencing this event.
  2. I'm relatively unhurt. My wrist got banged up, but otherwise I'm fine.
  3. No one else got hurt. The offender was completely unscathed and no one was injured by my errant wheel.
  4. I had my helmet on. I typically take it off for this 8 mph stretch to take in the sights.
  5. I have a full face helmet. A half shell would not have provided the same protection.
  6. I had my wrist guards on. I can only imagine how much damage this would have created if I hadn't.
  7. The offender stopped and checked on me, apologizing the whole time. A random person also stopped.
  8. My wheel was fine, other than some more scratches.
  9. I didn't smash my brand new Insta360 One X (or my phone).
  10. The visceral reminder to wear all the gear, all the time.

What would you do differently next time should a similar scenario occur?

11 minutes ago, Freewheeler said:

With zero traffic I drift into the opposing lane to pass her when she suddenly turns sharply to the left and right into me.

I think she knew you were behind and decided to let you pass by turning onto the open opposite side, instead of actually turning her head to look and see.

I often wait nowadays for the person ahead of me to acknowledge my presence and they pull off to the side which they didn't need to, but I suppose if you see someone in semi tactical looking gear I'd do the same.

9 hours ago, Aneta said:

What would you do differently next time should a similar scenario occur?

Carry a cattle prod. JK. Well, certainly I would not assume that all cyclists know the rules of the road, specifically, to look for upcoming traffic before moving toward or crossing the centerline.  

It's not as if I was close to her. I was completely in the other lane. And, it's not as if I was speeding past her. I was doing the 8 mph thing, she was probably at 6-7 mph. This was a low speed collision, a slow mo crash and fall. It was the unexpectedness of it that made it so dangerous. That, and one of the nastiest WI fences I've seen in a long time. 

As I was on the ground I struggled to turn down my music. She knew there was no way she could claim she didn't know I was there.

We spoke of my noticing her u turn and she admitted she didn't notice me once. Her husband had made a right but she missed the turn. She was focused on her task at hand instead of situational awareness.She just decided to turn completely off the path at the same time I was alongside her. She repeatedly said it was her fault. 

Still, I may have been right, but no one wants to be dead right.

Edited by Freewheeler

15 hours ago, Freewheeler said:

I was riding along the Newport Beach bike trail as I've done dozens of times before. It's an 8'+/- paved path, with a speed limit of 8 mph and it's delineated for two way traffic. I had just come from Huntington Beach after a day of riding on surface streets so it was nice to be on safe, familiar ground. The foot and bike traffic was light for a Saturday so it was especially pleasing.

Up ahead I see a woman on a bicycle coming in the opposite direction. She makes a u-turn. Plenty of space between us. In fact, even though I was aware it occurred, it really didn't register as "a thing". Eventually I am coming up behind her, slowly and with my music playing kind of loud (as I'm known to do). With zero traffic I drift into the opposing lane to pass her when she suddenly turns sharply to the left and right into me.

We collide and I careen directly toward a half height, wrought iron fence with no hope of catching my fall. I immediately recognize that this is not a friendly fence. To my horror there is no horizontal top to it... just the ends of the verticals spaced out every 4-5 inches. I'm certain I tried to get my hand in between me and the fence to deflect my body away but it must has just glanced off because the next thing I feel is one of the verticals inside my helmet, grabbing my modular and flipping it up. The helmet got hung up on the fence and I pulled myself up and off. I promptly sat on the ground to complete the shock and awe session, regain my composure and to assess the damage.

I cannot say for certain my helmet preventing the fence from impaling me underneath my jaw and into my mouth, or up my nostril or through my eye, and into my brain... but I will simply assume that to be the case.

This came out of nowhere. I hadn't had a drop to drink (which is not always the case) and the moment was insidiously serene. 

I have over 2000 miles on each of my wheels. I feel I am as good of a rider as anyone. Experience did not save me.  

What am I thankful for?

1. I'm alive. It was not at all certain that I would be as I was experiencing this event.
  3. No one else got hurt. The offender was completely unscathed and no one was injured by my errant wheel.
  4. I had my helmet on. I typically take it off for this 8 mph stretch to take in the sights.
  5. I have a full face helmet. A half shell would not have provided the same protection.
  6. I had my wrist guards on. I can only imagine how much damage this would have created if I hadn't.
  7. The offender stopped and checked on me, apologizing the whole time. A random person also stopped.

Glad you're OK Chris. Your story is another demonstration that a lot of random crap happens that we can't be prepared for. And sometimes all the safety gear in the world won't protect us. Most of the time it will though.

Don't you love people on bike paths that apparently go about their day thinking that nobody else exists :)  I'm always super wary about passing walking or biking people. It's a wild world out there :o

19 hours ago, Freewheeler said:

What am I thankful for?

First of I am glad you are fairly unscaved as I understand it and compared to small thing makes a huge impact on the event of accidents. 

I just got my V10f and took it for a spin this Saturday. Right now I ride it a bit harder inflated than what I will do later on. But having it this hard inflated makes the tire sing. 

The benafit is people hear me comming. If they are not off to their meme-universe with their earbuds. So I plunged my bell but this woman had no idea that she was in traffic and not on the moon. Eventually her son pulled her from the cycle lane to the sidewalk. 

4 things I am looking out for when I ride, listed top to bitton:

1) dogs especially on long leach. 

2) bicycles and their behaviour. If I am uncertain of what they do, I move in towards them forcing them to show a sign of acknowledgement that I need space to balance my wheel. 

3) pedestrians, more or less the same as bicycles, but checking if their attention is directed to surrounding for traffic or elsewhere. 

4) car on my side when we come of any place that could make them turn right into me. I don’t trust them to use indicator light. 

This Saturday ride I were 2' from being run down by a turning car, not checking her right side as she turned to cross the cycle lane to get to a gas station. If I had not anticipated this and kept my speed she would have run me down. When I tapped her window she showed no remorse, but she knew she had done wrong as she didn't want to make eye contact. 

Anyway I hope you recover fast @Freewheeler

7 hours ago, Unventor said:

This Saturday ride I were 2' from being run down by a turning car, not checking her right side as she turned to cross the cycle lane to get to a gas station.

Yeah that's a good thing you anticipated that, from my own close calls being in the driver seat making a right, the person was in pace with that blindside of the vehicles passenger side car frame between windshield and side window until become directly in front is a startling whoah where u come from look. 

Hello all, I am in the market for a helmet that does not fog up my glasses when I am riding (my motorcycle helmet does). I read through a fair bit of this forum and have seen some good options but I wanted to get your opinion on this on, anyone know anything about it?

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00CBTMPBK/ref=emc_b_5_t?th=1&psc=1

Can't go far wrong with Bell -- they've been around forever.

On 11/25/2019 at 1:39 AM, Unventor said:

1) dogs especially on long leach. 

Or dogs without a leach that are badly trained (as most dogs seem to be unfortunately ...). Had my fair share of scary moments with them. Stupid owners... 

Also looking to try a TSG Pass Pro, but these things are hard to find it seems, in my size.

Just contacted the company. I'd rather try it on before shelling out that amount of money for a helmet. It has to be a perfect fit.

Rode today with an HJC i70 with face shield full closed and front vent open in 40d temps. No issues with the shield or my Rx lenses fogging. Helmet is also the cat ass for glasses because there is a groove for the temple pieces. For less money but without the sun visor, there is the i10. Both support pin lock if extreme cold finally creates fogging issues.

Ben Minor

Edited by Dr.Ben

19 hours ago, ir_fuel said:

Also looking to try a TSG Pass Pro, but these things are hard to find it seems, in my size.

Just contacted the company. I'd rather try it on before shelling out that amount of money for a helmet. It has to be a perfect fit.

I finally have one ordered.  Had to go white and directly from them but finally getting one.  Sold out everywhere.

I want to buy one helmet. I was thinking in MET Parachute not the last version (which may be partially unmounted). Someone has one of them or may say something?

thanks in advance.

3 hours ago, Pabgarja said:

I want to buy one helmet. I was thinking in MET Parachute not the last version (which may be partially unmounted). Someone has one of them or may say something?

thanks in advance.

I have a MET parachute. I tried a lot of lightweight full face MTB helmets and it was the only one that fitted my big oval head.

7 hours ago, ir_fuel said:

I have a MET parachute. I tried a lot of lightweight full face MTB helmets and it was the only one that fitted my big oval head.

Thanks for the answer. I have a big oval head too 😂😂 so it will be perfect for me.

On 11/24/2019 at 9:20 PM, Marty Backe said:

Don't you love people on bike paths that apparently go about their day thinking that nobody else exists :)  I'm always super wary about passing walking or biking people. It's a wild world out there :o

It is the same kinda people walking down the isle at the supermarket, they stop smack in the middle when they see their product and everything else ceases to exist.
And there is lot of them, tried to re-educate them one at the time, but there is lots of them ...

Was confronted with a car in my lane, had to maneuver out of his way and fell. His remark: you fell, not my fault
<RANT ON> ... Next time I jump over your hood into your window, helmet on, you ... </RANT OFF>

On 12/23/2019 at 4:38 PM, ir_fuel said:

And what glasses do you have? 

thanks.

1 minute ago, Pabgarja said:

And what glasses do you have? 

Glasses?

On 11/24/2019 at 5:32 PM, Freewheeler said:

...What am I thankful for?

Because of reading this thread I now have a full face helmet (Bell Super 3R in red for visibility), a MC jacket, DH knee pads and of course wrist braces. I now also slow down when wanting to pass and literally yell at the pedestrians/cyclist/jogger "Excuse me! Hi! Is it ok if I pass on your right?" and wait for a proper answer before passing. It's annoying, but it works. 

Best thing about a community like this: learn from other people's mistakes/accidents. Thanks everyone!