THE HELMET THREAD

2 minutes ago, Jon Stern said:

As has been discussed before, this airbag helmet provides no chin protection, but more importantly, we don't know if it would deploy in all EUC crashes, or possibly even deploy in a non-cash situation.

And at €300 a deployment, who's willing to test it?

Good point, and sorry for re-addressing something that's been covered.

I saw it again on my social feed and thought immediately of this thread. 

3 minutes ago, Lillian said:

Good point, and sorry for re-addressing something that's been covered.

I saw it again on my social feed and thought immediately of this thread. 

Not a problem. It's hard to find everything that's been posted before.

What might make sense is for someone to contact the company to ask them about interest in them making a PEV version and performing suitable crash testing.

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, Jon Stern said:

es no chin protection, but more importantly, we don't know if it would deploy in all EUC crashes, or possibly even deploy in a non-cash situation.

And at €300 a deployment, who's willing to test it

I had a look to this a uear ago and phoned some distributors.. an daccording to them it would not be compliant with a EUC .. Ibdont knos exactly why anymore.. i remember that it wouldn depmoy in some cases on a EUC..

The same applies for airbag vests for motorcycle purposes..  again several distributors told me they wouldnt work.. and in this case i am only discussing the ones without the strap/leash.. ones with a strap would work but that means it would be deployed each time you loose your wheel.. even when you dont crash..

Hope this helps

Cl

• Like 2

27 minutes ago, Cumulus Libre said:

I had a look to this a uear ago and phoned some distributors.. an daccording to them it would not be compliant with a EUC .. Ibdont knos exactly why anymore.. i remember that it wouldn depmoy in some cases on a EUC..

The same applies for airbag vests for motorcycle purposes..  again several distributors told me they wouldnt work.. and in this case i am only discussing the ones without the strap/leash.. ones with a strap would work but that means it would be deployed each time you loose your wheel.. even when you dont crash..

Hope this helps

Cl

It helps a lot. Thanks for the info. I kind of suspected that to be the case. 

Super excited, but my normie friends dont understand so i have to run to the internet to share with you guys, lmao.

I ride with the bell super, full face. Loooove it. Summer was a blast with that helmet. A blast of wind and ventilation, lol. But as the season closes out, the swarms of bugs pelting me directly in my eyeballs has been incredible. Also its getting cooler at night and i find myself in a full, high speed cry. Tears everywhere. Cant see shite. I was looking into just grabbing some goggles, but all the best ones with good visibility were like $150 - $250 canadian, lol. Also ones that wouldnt fog up immediately, you know. So i bit the freakin bullet and bought the TSG pass in white (to match my leatt and other blaack and white gear ive got going on). So excited for it to come. Got it in an XL because i tried a large today and that was tight tight. Dont thing there was enough room for my glasses under it. (Also i measured my head and i was right on the low end for the XL). Happy i found it on sale, and shipping within Canada, so no international fees and other craziness. Cant wait for it to come. I love my Bell Super, and think it looks awesome. But the other helmet i was eyeing forever was this TSG as i was split on which i thought was the coolest looking helmet, so i'll be happy to rock both! (Plus its nice to know they're both not shite, lol)

• Like 3

On 9/15/2019 at 4:28 PM, Lillian said:

Thoughts about this head airbag? I wonder how it would work for face protection. This model's face is fully exposed.

https://hovding.com

I like the idea because when my air is wet, I don't ride since I can't squish it into a helmet. My peripheral view is also better without my Shoes helmet. It's fine with my Lumos. 

I have been in contact with the makers of Hövding.

They cannot vouch for the airbag releasing in a crash on a one-wheeler, since they have calibrated the thingie for bicycles. The differences in geometry in the typical fall are big enough that they recommend not using it other than for normal bikes.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

That takes me back, having a mirrored visor. Just a heads up Stephen, if the police see you and are cool with the wheel, they may get sniffy about that visor. I got stopped so many times on my motorbike for having one. They never did anything apart from tell me I had to take it off. But just a quick FYI in case buddy :)

edit: I'll explain a little more in case you have never been a biker. By law you can only have a smoked visor on a helmet, and a lightly smoked one at that. It's supposedly for safety because once night time hits, you'd struggle to see through a really dark/mirrored visor.

It's a joke really, because you can use a legal smoked visor, and put on the darkest pair of sunglasses you can find, and they don't do anything about that! :facepalm:

It means you are putting out an extra reason to be stopped. Don't want to be a Debbie downer, because where you ride you seem to be away from any regular police routes. Just wanted to let you know.

Edited by Retrovertigo
  • Like 2

3 hours ago, Retrovertigo said:

That takes me back, having a mirrored visor. Just a heads up Stephen, if the police see you and are cool with the wheel, they may get sniffy about that visor. I got stopped so many times on my motorbike for having one. They never did anything apart from tell me I had to take it off. But just a quick FYI in case buddy :)

edit: I'll explain a little more in case you have never been a biker. By law you can only have a smoked visor on a helmet, and a lightly smoked one at that. It's supposedly for safety because once night time hits, you'd struggle to see through a really dark/mirrored visor.

It's a joke really, because you can use a legal smoked visor, and put on the darkest pair of sunglasses you can find, and they don't do anything about that! :facepalm:

It means you are putting out an extra reason to be stopped. Don't want to be a Debbie downer, because where you ride you seem to be away from any regular police routes. Just wanted to let you know.

Thanks for the heads up 👍 i do realize this, and i might put the clear visor on that come with it as dark nights approaching us again soon or i might risk it till i get stopped 😁👍  in impressed by the helmet so i might buy the dual visor version 

My biker days,,, I've had a few when younger

Screenshot-20190929-081133.jpg

• Like 3

3 minutes ago, Retrovertigo said:

@stephenOh very nice mate! Takes me back to my track days.....before my family banned me from motorbikes after my accident. They don't seem to realise an EUC is probably just as dangerous :lol:

Lol yeah 😁😁 i loved track days only went on a few but it's a good day out, we should build a mini track for euc's but there's not enough of us lol😂

I came off my bike  not hurt so i bought this for a more relaxed ride

Screenshot-20190929-083032-com-ebay-mobi

• Like 1

On 8/3/2018 at 6:03 PM, Ziiten said:

Check out this Swedish invention: https://hovding.com

Pretty pricey.

They clearly state its only for bicyclists. Likely since hard bumps, vibrations, electrical interference from...i.e. EUCs could set it off or at least it had not been tested for it.

Personally, a helmet is preferred. It never fails... If buckled up properly

On 1/3/2019 at 3:36 AM, Marty Backe said:

This is obviously very personal, but I was concerned about buying a modular helmet because of comments like yours. Turns out that my 'heavy' Scorpion 950 is not uncomfortable at all. I've ridden with it for over 5 continuous hours with zero issues.

So for others of you who may be considering a modular motorcycle helmet, don't be immediately put off from statements about them being too heavy. I don't think it's a given.

I was thinking about trying this one out, basically just to see how it feels and if i will actually fold down the chin part or if id allways go for max cooling. Its darn heavy though @ 1650g and I doubt it would be cool enough for the summer.

But convenient for sure

course.jpg

Edited by Boogieman
  • Like 1

On 9/15/2019 at 8:26 PM, seage said:

Super excited, but my normie friends dont understand so i have to run to the internet to share with you guys, lmao.

I ride with the bell super, full face. Loooove it. Summer was a blast with that helmet. A blast of wind and ventilation, lol. But as the season closes out, the swarms of bugs pelting me directly in my eyeballs has been incredible. Also its getting cooler at night and i find myself in a full, high speed cry. Tears everywhere. Cant see shite. I was looking into just grabbing some goggles, but all the best ones with good visibility were like $150 - $250 canadian, lol. Also ones that wouldnt fog up immediately, you know. So i bit the freakin bullet and bought the TSG pass in white (to match my leatt and other blaack and white gear ive got going on). So excited for it to come. Got it in an XL because i tried a large today and that was tight tight. Dont thing there was enough room for my glasses under it. (Also i measured my head and i was right on the low end for the XL). Happy i found it on sale, and shipping within Canada, so no international fees and other craziness. Cant wait for it to come. I love my Bell Super, and think it looks awesome. But the other helmet i was eyeing forever was this TSG as i was split on which i thought was the coolest looking helmet, so i'll be happy to rock both! (Plus its nice to know they're both not shite, lol)

The sizing is bizarre: I'm a L in moto helmets, but a M for the TSG pass. The whites are hard to find in the US.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Boogieman said:

I was thinking about trying this one out, basically just to see how it feels and if i will actually fold down the chin part or if id allways go for max cooling. Its darn heavy though @ 1650g and I doubt it would be cool enough for the summer.

But convenient for sure

course.jpg

All I can say is that with my experience, you get use to the weight. I'm flipping mine up a lot (as you can see in some of my videos) and it's even comfortable like that.

• Like 1

14 hours ago, Marty Backe said:

All I can say is that with my experience, you get use to the weight. I'm flipping mine up a lot (as you can see in some of my videos) and it's even comfortable like that.

Exactly. I had major buyer's remorse after buying my Shoei modular helmet (from a place with a no return policy). Now I have gotten used to the weight, like the feeling of safety vs. my open-faced bike helmet and the weight helps me gain momentum on my EUC.

• Like 1

17 hours ago, chrisjunlee said:

The sizing is bizarre: I'm a L in moto helmets, but a M for the TSG pass. The whites are hard to find in the US.

For me, the XL is still a bit tight on the TSG, but then again, i havent cut my hair lately so its a bit much. Once i do, its gonna fit perfectly. My bell is L i think, so yeah...a bit weird, haha. 

And for real? Damn man, i have it now, with the mirrored visor, and it just looks so cool imo. 

70913332_2417541995185762_1080499439644180480_n.jpg

• Like 2

Joining the proper helmet club, since I'm feeling more comfortable with my wheel... finding myself riding faster and faster....

Thinking about getting a down hill mountain bike helmet, but winter is coming... so I'm going with this e-skate helmet.

Open face, but still better than the $12 bicycle helmet I'm using...

-GDuCjVEzwSd8ohdjb1iOkBKGzPAy-D6dph-qalm

4 hours ago, Phong Vu said:

Joining the proper helmet club, since I'm feeling more comfortable with my wheel... finding myself riding faster and faster....

Thinking about getting a down hill mountain bike helmet, but winter is coming... so I'm going with this e-skate helmet.

Open face, but still better than the $12 bicycle helmet I'm using...

-GDuCjVEzwSd8ohdjb1iOkBKGzPAy-D6dph-qalm

Its a bit round and the feild of veiw won't be that good through the letter box opening ,, nice grey colour though😂😂

Screenshot-20191006-082525-com-android-c

Edited by stephen