THE HELMET THREAD

On 7/27/2019 at 5:04 PM, Shad0z said:

Chin protection. But still open as a bike helmet. So you can hear everything. And always be aware. Reducing your chance of an accident. Plus it works great in the summer heat. I have a Met Parachute

Agreed, the Met Parachute should be the defacto helmet for EUC riders. Its an excellent product, reasonably priced and ideal for our needs. The only reason I use a 661 Reset (which I do like) is because I already had it from mtb and the Parachute was twice the price at the time. The Met is certainly more airy though and would be my first choice. Fox Proframe is nice too, but bulkier and more expensive.

I'm on the market for my first helmet, and so its great to see what kinds of helmets you guys are buying. I am a lifelong biker (motorcycles) and it is difficult to not look at "proper" bike helmets. But I think they would feel too heavy on an EUC.

Looking on Amazon, I really really wanted to buy this thing. But I imagine visibility would be absolutely dreadful :D 

cool helmet.jpg

2 hours ago, Retrovertigo said:

I'm on the market for my first helmet, and so its great to see what kinds of helmets you guys are buying. I am a lifelong biker (motorcycles) and it is difficult to not look at "proper" bike helmets. But I think they would feel too heavy on an EUC.

Looking on Amazon, I really really wanted to buy this thing. But I imagine visibility would be absolutely dreadful :D 

cool helmet.jpg

You wouldn’t have to worry about not seeing pedestrians in that, they’ll all be running the other way... crying :cry2:

• Like 1

7 hours ago, RoCan said:

You wouldn’t have to worry about not seeing pedestrians in that, they’ll all be running the other way... crying :cry2:

Funny you say that because I just went to CVS in full gear (but with the bike helmet, not Shoei). I worried that with current events, I may startle, but all's well. I popped in, got what I needed, popped out and rolled home. Whew. 

• Like 2

13 hours ago, Retrovertigo said:

cool helmet.jpg

Don't :) It's pretty much a toy gimmick to devtac's ronin helmet. Rated(?) for airsoft only and even then it's super hot inside - no ventilation with lower than most visibility.

• Like 1

Hey all, has anyone considered the differences between the Fox Proframe MTB helmet and the Fox V3 motocross helmet? Obviously the Proframe is lighter (although I can’t find the weight of the V3), but the V3 is going to have better protection. Has anyone got experience with the fox motocross helmets? I can see a few people here have the proframe, but can also see a lot of people prefer the safety offered by motorbike helmets.. 

any advice?

On 8/11/2019 at 6:50 AM, Retrovertigo said:

cool helmet.jpg

Yeah that's cool. If you are 14 years old.

On 8/4/2019 at 12:11 PM, Unventor said:

There is a partner/oem like model. I think is is call shark something. 

As for 180 degree open function, it is certified to ride with the helmet like that so it if it is really hot that is an option. 

But I tend to use my TSG Pass instead when it is hot and sunny. 

The problem with helmets on which you can open the chin guard is what I see a lot on motorcycles too. People just tend to ride around all the time with the chin exposed, completely defeating the purpose.

4 hours ago, ir_fuel said:

Yeah that's cool. If you are 14 years old.

The problem with helmets on which you can open the chin guard is what I see a lot on motorcycles too. People just tend to ride around all the time with the chin exposed, completely defeating the purpose.

Well not at all how I use mine. 

It is easier to put on open, then as I start ridi g I sving the chinguard in locked possition. But if I am to talk with someone or if I enter a store/shop I open visor and chinguard and most of the time this is enough so they don't ask (in body language or verbally) to take off the helmet. If they seem uneasy I of course take off the helmet. 

It is only on very hot days or slow grup rides I have used the helmet with chin guard open. 

25 minutes ago, Unventor said:

Well not at all how I use mine. 

It is easier to put on open, then as I start ridi g I sving the chinguard in locked possition. But if I am to talk with someone or if I enter a store/shop I open visor and chinguard and most of the time this is enough so they don't ask (in body language or verbally) to take off the helmet. If they seem uneasy I of course take off the helmet. 

It is only on very hot days or slow grup rides I have used the helmet with chin guard open. 

I didn't say everyone does it.

What you do is exactly the intended use. You want to be safe: put it down, you want to be social: put it up. But I see a lot of motorcycle rides (typically the BMW touring folk) riding with their helmet open at 100km/h.

I should get an honorary Doctorates for reading this entire thread!

anyway, I bought this in 2X. Looks great, good certs but a little snug.

Thoughts on this? Any big head XXL guys have other favorites? 

https://www.ride100percent.com/collections/status/products/status-bmx-helmet-ltd-navy

D92C582A-6DFD-4306-8EA8-D8C4BDEF40CA.jpeg

Edited by General Principle
  • Like 2

11 hours ago, General Principle said:

I should get an honorary Doctorates for reading this entire thread!

anyway, I bought this in 2X. Looks great, good certs but a little snug.

Thoughts on this? Any big head XXL guys have other favorites? 

https://www.ride100percent.com/collections/status/products/status-bmx-helmet-ltd-navy

D92C582A-6DFD-4306-8EA8-D8C4BDEF40CA.jpeg

I'm pretty happy with my Bell Super DH in the largest size, I could probably use it even if my head swelled up even more... ;)
I have size 62-63 in hats.

• Like 1

23 minutes ago, General Principle said:

Really? They only come in Large (58-62). They must run pretty big..

Yeah, but mileage may vary as head-shapes differ.

I can normally use 62, unless the shape is to circular.
If it is, I get the steel-vice-around-my-head head-aches.

• 2 weeks later...

Just took delivery of this lovely thing. Need to get over the initial snug fit weirdness now until the inside gives a little. I'd forgotten how uncomfortable I always found full faced helmets. 

It isn't the most expensive thing out there, but I wanted something with a visor as I only have one good eye and so always do my utmost to avoid getting things in it. A big plus point for me, is that it also has a flick down fighter pilot style darkened visor. Which I must admit, looks really cool :) 

It has the essentials, like a quick release catch and the lining can be removed for cleaning. It cost £100 appx, which is around $153/€139

https://astone-helmets.com/en/produit/?reference=TOURERM-MBK

TOURERM-MBK.png

Edited by Retrovertigo
  • Like 1

Very happy with my Polisport Black Thunder. Very light, zero loss of vision for me, peripheral or otherwise. Same for hearing, can easily have a phone coversation.
Only downside of having no visor is that occasionally insects fly in and get stuck next to your ears. :)BlackThunder01-1.jpg

Edited by Tazarinho
  • Like 3

On 9/4/2019 at 5:00 PM, Cumulus Libre said:

I got a dragonfly flying into me yesterday.. it hit the glass of my sunglasses.. it was a serious impact.. i would probably have injured my eye without  those sunglasses 😎

I used to wear my normal glasses, but recently switched to lenses because it means I can take my helmet off more easily.
But it's definitely more dangerous, insect-wise. :D

Well despite me posting a picture of the full faced helmet I recently bought, I am on the market for another one! One thing I hadn't thought about was Bluetooth. I also own a Livall open faced helmet, the one with lights on it and Bluetooth speakers built in.

I wore that for my first proper street ride this morning, and the obvious benefit, is being able to hear the noise around you, plus have the built in speakers speak out speed, battery, distance, phone charge level. All while trundling along and being able to hear the world around me at the same time. So now I need a full faced helmet with Bluetooth built in. Ear buds are a no no for me.

Edited by Retrovertigo

8 hours ago, RoCan said:

I don't have experience with this one but there are few things to note when picking mc helmet. Namely, check how many shell sizes helmet has (this has only one based on description). That means all sizes look same - if your head of size M you'll still have a large bucket on your head. Other thing is weight. 1.5 kg is okay-ish, but i'd look for something lighter.

Edited by cdoe
  • Like 1

Thoughts about this head airbag? I wonder how it would work for face protection. This model's face is fully exposed.

https://hovding.com

I like the idea because when my air is wet, I don't ride since I can't squish it into a helmet. My peripheral view is also better without my Shoes helmet. It's fine with my Lumos. 

Edited by Lillian
Added a video link
  • Like 1

32 minutes ago, Lillian said:

Thoughts about this head airbag?

https://hovding.com

I like the idea because when my air is wet, I don't ride since I can't squish it into a helmet. My peripheral view is also better without my Shoes helmet. It's fine with my Lumos. 

As has been discussed before, this airbag helmet provides no chin protection, but more importantly, we don't know if it would deploy in all EUC crashes, or possibly even deploy in a non-cash situation.

And at €300 a deployment, who's willing to test it?