THE HELMET THREAD

4 hours ago, HarpMudd said:

The rule of thumb is that you should replace your helmet regardless of brand/model any time you crash (This includes the POC Coron Air Spin). Crashing (or even significantly denting) ruins the structural integrity therefore theoretically reducing the amount of protection the helmet provides. Did you ever notice that during flights, many people take their sport helmets with them along as carry-on? This is because many times when you check them in, they get banged around by baggage handlers and they get dented, thus making them less effective.  

TLD has a great reputation by mountain bike and motocross racers - their helmets have saved a lot of lives.  If you look at Chooch's videos, he rides wearing both Fox and TLD helmets. There are a lot of great options and that POC was on my shortlist too.   The main reason I chose the TLD stage was due to MIPS and good airflow.  

Do you know there is EPS and EPP foam.

Most helmet are EPS, this is single hit foam.

EPP is multi hit foam, used in some POC and skateboards helmets. For small crashes EPP is OK to be reused, for bigger hard to tell, safer is to replace.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

45 minutes ago, LucasD said:

Do you know there is EPS and EPP foam.

Most helmet are EPS, this is single hit foam.

EPP is multi hit foam, used in some POC and skateboards helmets. For small crashes EPP is OK to be reused, for bigger hard to tell, safer is to replace.

Ahh thanks for this info, I didn’t know that. 

Edited by HarpMudd
  • Like 1
  • Upvote 1

5 hours ago, Lillian said:

The Lumos Matrix is my bike helmet for casual riding.

Thanks, that's a cool helmet, I may get that one too, I wasn't sure I was planning to do night rides but thats a slick addition to my gear.  Picked up  Fox v3 as my semi-full face and a triple 8 for my casual.

5 hours ago, Lillian said:

It's probably overkill, but it's my first motorcycle helmet.

My first crash back in the day was on a shoei, just riding in my friends neighborhood exploring, just doing 20mph on a motorcycle and coming riding into an unexpected loop, too fast, tunnel vision, hit the brakes, hit the curb, went flying past my bike 15' landing front of it.  Wearing just sneakers, shorts, tee and a helmet luckily my only injuries was a broken wrist, semi bruised chest, ruined t-shirt, the helmet took the brunt of the asphalt from the chin up along the side, I figured I went bouncing on the pavement a good 5' upon landing from mid flight after 10'.  It was all blur when I got up.  I was a lucky bastid.

• Upvote 1

3 hours ago, ir_fuel said:

Not really a fan of riding with a motorcycle helmet on an euc. Too warm.

On the flip side - the reason I have my motorcycle helmet is for colder weather EUC riding :P

• Like 1

Waiting patiently for my KS16X I’ve purchased the Stage “Stealth” full-face helmet and the 7855 “Protective” long sleeve pullover, both from Troy Lee Designs.  Gloves, the ScorpionExo MKII short cuffs which incorporate the patented Knox sliders.

DCB0D2C1-634B-4DB5-BF07-429E0235249C.jpeg

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

13 minutes ago, CampDylan said:

Waiting patiently for my KS16X I’ve purchased the Stage “Stealth” full-face helmet and the 7855 “Protective” long sleeve pullover, both from Troy Lee Designs.  Gloves, the ScorpionExo MKII short cuffs which incorporate the patented Knox sliders.

Nice gear setup!  I’m considering the Stage myself.  Can you share your head size and which size helmet you went with.  How’s the fit? Do those gloves come with wrist protection or can you where wrist with them?

Thanks

1 hour ago, Sketch said:

Can you share your head size

So my head/hat size is about 22.5" which put me at the MEDIUM/LARGE size for the Stage.  It fits well, though just a bit loose only if I grab it with my hands and jostle it around - I'm confident that the larger size face/head pads that come with it (a whole bag of different sizes to adjust to your face & head) will have it more snug without feeling uncomfortable.  
My decision on this helmet was against the FOX and the deciding factor was both TLD's reputation and the fact that the visor is adjustable up & down.

• Upvote 1

2 hours ago, Sketch said:

Do those gloves come with wrist protection or can you where wrist with them?

So the gloves I just ordered today and I was led to them after watching "Chooch" new review of Flatland 3D gloves with the Knox sliders AND wrist protection.  However, in the comments a lot of folks said they were crap and somewhere I was led to the ScorpionEXO's through those findings, these being higher rated and also have the Knox sliders.  These particular ones, short-cuffs, do not have wrist guards bus they seem short enough to use your own.  

BTW:  I couldn't find the size chart for these gloves so I wrote the company and they sent the chart to me.  My hand/glove measured 8.5" so I defaulted to the 9" size which is "X-Large".  

ScorpionEXO.JPG

Edited by CampDylan
  • Like 1
  • Upvote 1

5 hours ago, CampDylan said:

So the gloves I just ordered today and I was led to them after watching "Chooch" new review of Flatland 3D gloves with the Knox sliders AND wrist protection.  However, in the comments a lot of folks said they were crap and somewhere I was led to the ScorpionEXO's through those findings, these being higher rated and also have the Knox sliders.  These particular ones, short-cuffs, do not have wrist guards bus they seem short enough to use your own.  

BTW:  I couldn't find the size chart for these gloves so I wrote the company and they sent the chart to me.  My hand/glove measured 8.5" so I defaulted to the 9" size which is "X-Large".  

ScorpionEXO.JPG

I watched his video also and went to go buy those gloves but they are out of stock anyway.  It drives me crazy when companies destroy capitalism.  I would love to get a protective glove that breathes well for hot weather and also has a wrist guard in it. 

• Upvote 1

On 7/13/2019 at 3:37 AM, Lillian said:

It's probably overkill, but it's my first motorcycle helmet. I really want a Skully but can't justify the price just for the HUD. qRzFMrc.jpg

The Lumos Matrix is my bike helmet for casual riding.

go8kfIZ.jpg

I have that SHOEI modular too (if it's the Neotec Modular)  Used it over the years for two Yamaha Zuma's and while I owned  a Yamaha WR250 as well.  VERY heavy helmet!  That's why I ordered the 690 gram Troy Lee Designs Stealth for when I start EUC'n .   I still have my 600-dollar (now on sale for 423) SHOEI modular if anyone interested in buying it off me for 100 bucks...

Edited by CampDylan
grammatical/mis-information

On 7/15/2019 at 4:09 PM, ir_fuel said:

Not really a fan of riding with a motorcycle helmet on an euc. Too warm.

I have a little tip here. It might sound odd at first. 

It has to do with shoes. I normally ride in Merrell Jungle moc waterproof (midnight blue/looks black). But they are very warm in summer time. And this causes me to "overhear" faster wearing my MC helmet. But I found that if I wear other shoes that are very ventilated then I don't overheat as easy. So while I at first thought it was a helmet/mc suit issue. It turns out I could fix it by using different shoes. 

Now if it gets really hot then I use my TSG Pass helmet as it is more in line with my EUC cruising speed at 25-35kmh.

• Upvote 1

2 hours ago, CampDylan said:

I have that SHOEI modular too (if it's the Neotec Modular)  Used it over the years for two Yamaha Zuma's and while I owned  a Yamaha WR250 as well.  VERY heavy helmet!  That's why I ordered the 690 gram Troy Lee Designs Stealth for when I start EUC'n .   I still have my 600-dollar (now on sale for 423) SHOEI modular if anyone interested in buying it off me for 100 bucks...

Yes, it's the Neotec II modular.

It's my first full-faced helmet and I didn't know better. I haven't ridden outdoors with it yet but indoors when I try it, it definitely impacts my balance on the EUC. I bought it with street riding in mind, but I don't see myself riding in the street anytime soon and will likely try to sell it. 

Edited by Lillian
To note the helmet model.
  • Upvote 1

On 7/25/2019 at 7:00 AM, CampDylan said:

Just start researching MTB helmets, there’s a bunch of great selections there.

Imo that's the best choice of them all for euc. Hands down. Chin protection. But still open as a bike helmet. So you can hear everything. And always be aware. Reducing your chance of an accident. Plus it works great in the summer heat. I have a Met Parachute

• Like 2

On 5/19/2018 at 11:01 PM, fbhb said:

DO I NEED HELP? I think I may have started to develop a helmet collecting problem now that my current selection has reached a total of Five to choose from. I'm verging on owning as many helmets as @Marty Backe owns wheels ? (wouldn't mind having a wheel to match each helmet though, if truth be told).

388092608_MyHelmets.thumb.jpg.7a05ce95e7dc4e2d290537882b3249bd.jpg

I like the Ruroc, but that’s based purely on aesthetics. Seems like TSG is the safest but it looks wicked hot? What do you prefer? I sweat like an animal in my bike helmet (while cycling).

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

On 7/25/2019 at 1:00 AM, CampDylan said:

Just start researching MTB helmets, there’s a bunch of great selections there.

Thanks. I did try to sell it unused but no takers, sooo....I rode with the Shoei helmet today with the front lifted mainly on the sidewalk then an unused street. I got a shoutout from a motorcyclists who called me "Inmotion" because of my EUC cover :D 

The helmet was fantastic and the weight helped with acceleration after mounting. I'm buying bug eyes mirror for it and will use my Lumos Matrix for casual rides or my Pint.

• Upvote 1

On 8/2/2019 at 4:55 AM, ir_fuel said:

On your euc you'll be doing a lot less pushing yourself. That will help with the sweating :D 

Maybe it's my noobie nerves but after riding my EUC, I am drenched like I just took a Soul Cycle class. Fortunately my gym is across from my job so I can ride in and still be clean at work. 

Edited by Lillian
Typo correction

On 2/14/2019 at 10:15 PM, Unventor said:

I have just completed the installation, and done a phone call test. Works fine. Have yet to test in windy conditions, but I think it will be rather okay.

I’m sold on this helmet. Love the looks and versatility. Just wondering about the sound quality of the Bluetooth setup? How does it compare to some apple earbuds for example? Are you aware of any cheaper Bluetooth options? Thanks for any advice.

Also, is anyone aware of another helmet where the chin bar lifts 180 degrees like the LS2 FF 399. I think this feature makes it look balanced when open in comparison to the other ones that just lift 90 degrees and look a bit top heavy.

19 hours ago, Lillian said:

Maybe it's my noobie nerves but after riding my EUC, I am drenched like I just took a Soul Cycle class. Fortunately my gym is across from my job so I can ride in and still be clean at work. 

That's noobie nerves. When I was learning it was the same. Now, as long as it's on normal roads, just enjoy the breeze and it's zero effort.

• Upvote 1

12 hours ago, RoCan said:

I’m sold on this helmet. Love the looks and versatility. Just wondering about the sound quality of the Bluetooth setup? How does it compare to some apple earbuds for example? Are you aware of any cheaper Bluetooth options? Thanks for any advice.

Well my main goal was to get something easy and always there. It is not hifi sound, but it is rather ok. Like most systems it is the bass that is missing a bit. 

The only thing is the charging, it is difficult to use a normal micro usb cable due to the space. And you can't really see how much charge there is on the unit. 

But it works like a charm with wheelog voice call outs. This way I have good track of my speed and battery.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, RoCan said:

Also, is anyone aware of another helmet where the chin bar lifts 180 degrees like the LS2 FF 399. I think this feature makes it look balanced when open in comparison to the other ones that just lift 90 degrees and look a bit top heavy.

There is a partner/oem like model. I think is is call shark something. 

As for 180 degree open function, it is certified to ride with the helmet like that so it if it is really hot that is an option. 

But I tend to use my TSG Pass instead when it is hot and sunny. 

• Like 1