THE HELMET THREAD

• 2 weeks later...

I looked in this thread and didn't find anything, has someone mentioned Virginia Tech's helmet ratings?

They don't rate full face helmets, but if you use a normal cycling helmet it's a good way to help you decide.

I got myself a Bontrager Charge WaveCel because of them.

• 2 months later...

Well, I wanted to get a full face helmet with good airflow for summer. I ordered this...I do not recommend it at all. Feels cheap, flimsy, and man oh man, I'd hate to meet concrete wearing one. Super overpriced and will be returning it. Felt like a toy. Guess I'll tough it out in my motorcycle helmet for now. Anyone suggest another full face "summer helmet"? Thx! I may try a Fox Proframe...

https://www.amazon.com/Bell-Super-MIPS-Bike-Helmet/dp/B07HGJT6MP/ref=mp_s_a_1_8?keywords=bell%2Bfull%2Bface%2Bhelmet&qid=1560530470&s=gateway&sprefix=bell%2Bfu&sr=8-8&th=1&psc=1

52 minutes ago, Rama Douglas said:

Well, I wanted to get a full face helmet with good airflow for summer. I ordered this...I do not recommend it at all. Feels cheap, flimsy, and man oh man, I'd hate to meet concrete wearing one. Super overpriced and will be returning it. Felt like a toy. Guess I'll tough it out in my motorcycle helmet for now. Anyone suggest another full face "summer helmet"? Thx! I may try a Fox Proframe...

The ultralights I know (TSG Pass, Bell, New Olders) are light and comfortable but not DOT. The only ultralight DOT I am aware of (I'm sure there are others) is the $400+ Ruroc Atlas. Buddy up here got one, was super impressed and jealous over its lightness. My motorcycle helmet weights in at 5.5 lbs with all lights and cameras attached. :o 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, who_the said:

The ultralights I know (TSG Pass, Bell, New Olders) are light and comfortable but not DOT. The only ultralight DOT I am aware of (I'm sure there are others) is the $400+ Ruroc Atlas. Buddy up here got one, was super impressed and jealous over its lightness. My motorcycle helmet weights in at 5.5 lbs with all lights and cameras attached. :o 

Thanks for the suggestions, Jesse! After much research this morning, I've ordered this one. I'm giving up on the idea that a Bell mips, or Fox Proframe will feel safe after being used to a motorcycle helmet. The airflow reviews on this beauty are excellent! And close to the same price as the flimsy Bell helmet! 😎 

• Like 3

I'm with you guys on this one, as I also have the Bell 3R MIPS, which I did get half priced in goofy colors.

The motorcycle helmets are in a class of their own because they aren't constrained as much by weight, while being constrained to pass DOT and Snell tests.

Notably, bicycle helmets only have two tests; the bicycle helmets own tests and the 200 gram test the bicycle rider does when he picks up the helmet. Predictably, longitudinal tests with great numbers of riders don't show much difference between helmet and non helmet riders.

However, that's for bicyclists; EUC riders and eScooter riders suffer from their vehicles throwing them if they hit a dry spaghetti noodles (or perhaps no reason at all), and so a motorcycle helmet with entire head coverage is necessary.

The Snell dual purpose helmets is therefore suggested, as they have Snell and are lightweight, much less than sport helmets, with the added bonus of being cheaper.

• Like 1

Just picked up a helmet for when my MSX arrives in the sale.

Not a fan of the design on most of the full face helmets - but I think this looks pretty smart.

MIPS equivalent and multi impact approved.

https://www.exxpozed.co.uk/unisex-helme-protektoren-poc-coron-air-spin-uranium-black-19a?gclid=Cj0KCQjwrpLoBRD_ARIsAJd0BIVrEi1U8d69vZLSUwmdzzx9lKbjn5DCN-f09lncjSmWD2b7GyMdkmUaArXoEALw_wcB#!?variant=1041121

• Like 1

Will be getting a fullface helmet soon, but can only afford the low end models... Is anyone with bike helmets using wind blockers for thier ears, like Cat-ears wind reducers???

How's this for full face!

iMeshbean Full Face Airsoft Mask with Metal Mesh Eye Protection (Full Mask (12)) https://www.amazon.com/dp/B079M3QRFR

Oh screw it... Going for this....

https://www.skully.com/products/skully-fenix-ar?variant=15247924527149

Though I think icon is the first place I should look, if I had a motorcycle... 

Edited by MetricUSA
  • Upvote 1

I can recommend POC Cortex Flow and you can have it at a good discount.

It is rated for multi hit (EPP), does not block peripheral vision (180 degree) and I can hear very well in it. 
For uphill bike maybe more ventilation would be needed, but for EUC it is ideal.

• Upvote 1

• 2 weeks later...
On 6/15/2019 at 7:35 PM, MetricUSA said:

Will be getting a fullface helmet soon, but can only afford the low end models... Is anyone with bike helmets using wind blockers for thier ears, like Cat-ears wind reducers???

iMeshbean Full Face Airsoft Mask with Metal Mesh Eye Protection (Full Mask (12)) https://www.amazon.com/dp/B079M3QRFR

I'm wearing the Lumos Matrix right now, but have wanted the Skully for a long time. The ability to glance down vs. looking back on an EUC seems priceless. Not to mention the full-face protection. 

On 6/15/2019 at 4:35 PM, MetricUSA said:

LoL! At that price, I hope it comes with a wheel! A 1600wh wheel too! Haha too funny...

• 2 weeks later...

I just ordered the Troy Lee Designs “Stage Stealth” full-face helmet along with their upper-body armored shirt (Troy Lee Designs 7855 Protective Long Sleeve).  

Expensive stuff but they have a solid reputation and the helmet is the lightest of its class at 690 grams.  The Fox Proframe helmet was over 100 grams heavier and didn’t have a tilting visor like I wanted and found in the TLD Stage.  The latter also comes with extra foam components for fine tuning to your face shape..

Almost but the cheaper Fox body armor but there were too many reviews complaining about the zipper failing early on - the TLD 7855 is a pull-over and doesn’t look so robotic - these will be my every-day commuting gear.

42B0EEC8-D7EA-427E-85F5-A2A38F94BECD.thumb.jpeg.a25afcf61eeb46420847ac7e2c3cae54.jpeg

DC03FF91-03ED-4801-84E7-C02E35C753A3.jpeg

• Like 2

What do you guys recommend for the safest possible helmet but can still be comfortable in very hot weather? I’d also like to be able to put a mirror on it. I don’t care about price right now. Any advice would be very much welcomed. Thanks. 

7 minutes ago, Patton250 said:

What do you guys recommend for the safest possible helmet but can still be comfortable in very hot weather? I’d also like to be able to put a mirror on it. I don’t care about price right now. Any advice would be very much welcomed. Thanks. 

I am quite happy with my current solution. 

LS2 FF399 EU version with pinlock antifog system. You can swing the chinbar 180 degrees and use it as open helmet. 

I used 3M duallock on the side of the swing point of the chinbar so I can easily attach or detach the review mirror and reposition it. 

Sorry for the quality20190408_201629.thumb.jpg.488bab74052b02af9c99d59909eb554f.jpg

It has inner sun visor too. 

Ventilation is not build for low speeds, but I overcome this by opening the visor a tiny bit, it has a few step locks. 

Is it really hot I use my TSG Pass helmet instead. But I don't have mirrow on that (yet) just a matter to add a patch of 3M duallock hooks. The only thing is the TSG is super snug and visor seem to scratch easy as you can open it is like a cap rather following helmet. 

20181004_174708.thumb.jpg.daf7ae8eb016613158b8cafd703423ca.jpg

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

10 hours ago, Patton250 said:

I just purchased a POC Coron air spin.

super comfy, well ventilated and rated for multiple impacts unlike 99% of helmets recommended on this forum.

If I’m wearing a helmet, it’s going to be the safest option. Just so happens it’s a great design, comfy and light too.

14 hours ago, CampDylan said:

I just ordered the Troy Lee Designs “Stage Stealth” full-face helmet along with their upper-body armored shirt (Troy Lee Designs 7855 Protective Long Sleeve).  

Expensive stuff but they have a solid reputation and the helmet is the lightest of its class at 690 grams.  The Fox Proframe helmet was over 100 grams heavier and didn’t have a tilting visor like I wanted and found in the TLD Stage.  The latter also comes with extra foam components for fine tuning to your face shape..

Almost but the cheaper Fox body armor but there were too many reviews complaining about the zipper failing early on - the TLD 7855 is a pull-over and doesn’t look so robotic - these will be my every-day commuting gear.

I just bought the TLD Stage as well.  It feels very protective (w/ MIPS), but light and airy.  It comes with additional foam inserts to further tweak the fit for your head size, but for me it fit perfect, right out of the box. This helmet has great air circulation once you get moving. It is indeed a little pricey, but the cost is still way cheaper then the damage and pain you will get in an accident.

• Upvote 1

6 minutes ago, HarpMudd said:

I just bought the TLD Stage as well.  It feels very protective (w/ MIPS), but light and airy.  It comes with additional foam inserts to further tweak the fit for your head size, but for me it fit perfect, right out of the box. This helmet has great air circulation once you get moving. It is indeed a little pricey, but the cost is still way cheaper then the damage and pain you will get in an accident.

I have been studying that very helmet because of the ventilation it has. However it doesn’t look very well-built. I’m wondering what kind of impact rating it has. Remember if we are going 25 or 30 mph and face plant that’s quite an impact on pavement.  That helmet is for bicyclists on dirt trails. How fast can those guys possibly be going?  A lot of the guys on this forum are using motorcycle helmets and those are definitely rated very hard impacts at high speeds.  Of course they weigh a lot and have no ventilation. 

18 minutes ago, Patton250 said:

I’m wondering what kind of impact rating it has

These helmets have very good impact resistance, as they are capable of being used for Enduro/Downhill MTB and those guys can far exceed the highest speeds our fastest EUC's are capable of.  The TLD stage has the following certifications: "EXCEEDS CERTIFICATIONS: CPSC 1203, CE EN1078, ASTM F1952, ASTM F2032, and AS/NZS 2063-2008"

Edited by fbhb
  • Upvote 1

3 hours ago, fbhb said:

These helmets have very good impact resistance, as they are capable of being used for Enduro/Downhill MTB and those guys can far exceed the highest speeds our fastest EUC's are capable of.  The TLD stage has the following certifications: "EXCEEDS CERTIFICATIONS: CPSC 1203, CE EN1078, ASTM F1952, ASTM F2032, and AS/NZS 2063-2008"

What do you think of this one? Does this have the proper certifications for our safety using wheels? Thanks 

https://www.amazon.com/Bell-Super-MIPS-Bike-Helmet/dp/B07GT86ZVL?pf_rd_p=0fc3f2c4-3ed5-4d11-9995-8d7c82394713&pd_rd_wg=61BGi&pf_rd_r=7W83NV69M36QGN5B6HJW&ref_=pd_gw_cr_simh&pd_rd_w=YCu0M&pd_rd_r=28a5f272-dd0e-453e-9348-f812fffeb3f2&th=1&psc=1

6 minutes ago, Patton250 said:

well ...

On 6/14/2019 at 6:46 PM, Rama Douglas said:

https://www.amazon.com/Bell-Super-MIPS-Bike-Helmet/dp/B07HGJT6MP/ref=mp_s_a_1_8?keywords=bell%2Bfull%2Bface%2Bhelmet&qid=1560530470&s=gateway&sprefix=bell%2Bfu&sr=8-8&th=1&psc=1

• Upvote 1

On 7/10/2019 at 10:09 AM, ir_fuel said:

well ...

Ok my friend I got it.  I had to adjust it to fit and it fits perfect. I then laid on the ground and dropped my head about 4 inches simulating a 4 inch drop on concrete. I now have a massive headache. I cannot imagine hitting the ground even going 10 mph with this helmet. It just doesn’t feel that safe.  Maybe I’m paranoid I don’t know. 

13 hours ago, Patton250 said:

Ok my friend I got it.  I had to adjust it to fit and it fits perfect. I then laid on the ground and dropped my head about 4 inches simulating a 4 inch drop on concrete. I now have a massive headache. I cannot imagine hitting the ground even going 10 mph with this helmet. It just doesn’t feel that safe.  Maybe I’m paranoid I don’t know. 

Try that in a POC Coron air spin. You won’t feel a thing (I did a similar simulated test 😂).

plus - you crash once in the TLD you need a brand new helmet I believe.

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, HippoPig said:

plus - you crash once in the TLD you need a brand new helmet I believe.

The rule of thumb is that you should replace your helmet regardless of brand/model any time you crash (This includes the POC Coron Air Spin). Crashing (or even significantly denting) ruins the structural integrity therefore theoretically reducing the amount of protection the helmet provides. Did you ever notice that during flights, many people take their sport helmets with them along as carry-on? This is because many times when you check them in, they get banged around by baggage handlers and they get dented, thus making them less effective.  

TLD has a great reputation by mountain bike and motocross racers - their helmets have saved a lot of lives.  If you look at Chooch's videos, he rides wearing both Fox and TLD helmets. There are a lot of great options and that POC was on my shortlist too.   The main reason I chose the TLD stage was due to MIPS and good airflow.  

• Upvote 1