THE HELMET THREAD

7 hours ago, ir_fuel said:

Can you explain how a chin bar obstructs your view? My eyes are a bit higher in my head :D 

I've hear people say the chin bar obstruct the view directly down, when they look to see where their feet are, or checking the battery meter, etc.

2 minutes ago, Smoother said:

I've hear people say the chin bar obstruct the view directly down, when they look to see where their feet are, or checking the battery meter, etc.

That's possible, but not really something you need to do a lot while riding. Especially when a beginner you should never look down. It destabilizes.

5 hours ago, ir_fuel said:

That's possible, but not really something you need to do a lot while riding. Especially when a beginner you should never look down. It destabilizes.

Looking down is essential for making sure your feet are correctly placed, when starting or when getting air over an unexpected bump, or when repositioning your feet to climb or descend hills.  Looking down is handy when picking your way across a rock strewn path so as to avoid rocks that will destabilize you. The're are probably more uses too but it's 2:45AM and I can't think any more.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

Guest PogArt Artur
4 hours ago, Smoother said:

Looking down is essential for making sure your feet are correctly placed, when starting or when getting air over an unexpected bump, or when repositioning your feet to climb or descend hills.  Looking down is handy when picking your way across a rock strewn path so as to avoid rocks that will destabilize you. The're are probably more uses too but it's 2:45AM and I can't think any more.

That's explanation is nicely written Smoother.

I used to have used full face helmets riding motorbikes, I know that the bottom part is simply blocking the full picture, the same way you've mentioned.

Checking the gear on your pockets, looking down your feet when stepping off the motirbike's saddle, or looking at your bag on the tank, to check the map...

This is what I meant saying - obstructing my view.

6 hours ago, Smoother said:

When getting air over an unexpected bump the last thing you should do is look down, if you want to keep going in a straight line.

Looking down when going through rough terrain, yeah, but not 20cm in front of your wheel. You look a bit further and choose your path accordingly. If you are going to negotiate terrain by looking directly in front of your wheel you're either going extremely slow or you'll have no time to react. Nothing you can't do with a full face helmet.

3 hours ago, PogArt Artur said:

That's explanation is nicely written Smoother.

I used to have used full face helmets riding motorbikes, I know that the bottom part is simply blocking the full picture, the same way you've mentioned.

Checking the gear on your pockets, looking down your feet when stepping off the motirbike's saddle, or looking at your bag on the tank, to check the map...

This is what I meant saying - obstructing my view.

When I first switched to a full face, Giro Switchblade, I felt that my peripheral vision got worse - especially downwards. Now I use a LS2 MX436, which is far more obstructing, and it doesn't bother me that much. 

The only perceived difference now, is that I have to tilt my head a bit forward to see my feet, but they're not exactly what I feel like looking at too much when going 25mph/40kph...

The feet position I feel in the behavior of the EUC. It is pretty obvious if you're standing towards the front or towards the back in how it behaves.

• Like 1

Guest PogArt Artur
6 hours ago, Scatcat said:

When I first switched to a full face, Giro Switchblade, I felt that my peripheral vision got worse - especially downwards. Now I use a LS2 MX436, which is far more obstructing, and it doesn't bother me that much. 

The only perceived difference now, is that I have to tilt my head a bit forward to see my feet, but they're not exactly what I feel like looking at too much when going 25mph/40kph...

The feet position I feel in the behavior of the EUC. It is pretty obvious if you're standing towards the front or towards the back in how it behaves.

Thank you.

So the experience will bring the confidence  ;) 

11 hours ago, -Sidekick- said:

I´m not sure. Thinking about Bell Super R3 or Bell Super DH.

vvv       My optical favorite is this one     vvv

Are there any reasons against it?

I just got the Bell Super DH last week.  I found it more comfortable than the fox proframe and the Troy Lee designs full face lids.

It is fully down hill certified, passes all the same certifications that the fox pro-frame and the troy Lee designs pass.

I'll probably use it in full face mode most of the time but it's nice to be able to take off the chin bar if I'm just going really slow or practicing trying to learn new techniques or something in a parking lot.  Or I can take it off if I want to use it with my mountain bike and I'm just doing light trail riding.  

It feels solid and seems solidly built and it's super comfortable, has multiple modes of adjustment.

Plus I got it 30% off since they were having a bell helmet sale.  $210.

E4hZIid.jpg

ZamejTo.jpg

wnBleFn.jpg

p0a05hf.jpg

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

Guest PogArt Artur
7 hours ago, Heyzeus said:

I just got the Bell Super DH last week.  I found it more comfortable than the fox proframe and the Troy Lee designs full face lids.

It is fully down hill certified, passes all the same certifications that the fox pro-frame and the troy Lee designs pass.

I'll probably use it in full face mode most of the time but it's nice to be able to take off the chin bar if I'm just going really slow or practicing trying to learn new techniques or something in a parking lot.  Or I can take it off if I want to use it with my mountain bike and I'm just doing light trail riding.  

It feels solid and seems solidly built and it's super comfortable, has multiple modes of adjustment.

E4hZIid.jpg

ZamejTo.jpg

wnBleFn.jpg

p0a05hf.jpg

Spot on my friend.

On 3/23/2019 at 1:53 AM, -Sidekick- said:

I´m not sure. Thinking about Bell Super R3 or Bell Super DH.

Are there any reasons against it?

I also picked up a Bell Super DH last month when it was on sale as I wasn't happy with the non-chin bar skater helmet I bought initially when I started riding. Expensive  - yes, but also found the fit much better than the Fox Proframe (for my head shape). Nice and light, can wear it for hours and hours while riding - no problems.

• Upvote 1

Bell Super DH arrived in the middle of last week. Tested it yesterday. I was a little afraid of getting to warm. After 2,5 hours of riding I can say that my fear was completley unfounded. It fits perfect and the ventilation system works very well.

Edit: I have paid 200 €.

Edited by -Sidekick-
  • Like 1

On 3/23/2019 at 1:00 AM, Heyzeus said:

E4hZIid.jpg

ZamejTo.jpg

wnBleFn.jpg

p0a05hf.jpg

I like the look of this helmet.  But I'm curious, do they make a corresponding bowling shoe?:confused1:

• Like 3

Guest PogArt Artur
On 12/14/2017 at 5:25 PM, Smoother said:

Helmet info and opinion is scattered all over the forum, mostly in thread derailments, which I categorically deny having anything to do with, ok, maybe a little,:whistling:.  ALRIGHT! IT'S ALWAYS ME. :wacko:

HAPPY NOW?

Please feel free to add your thoughts and recommendations about all things helmet related.

So here's what I bought:

https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B01L6SS4FW/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o04_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

and why:

1. its road legal, and therefore safer than a bicycle helmet.

2. it's matt black like my wheel, so it goes with anything.

3. I can wear goggles and keep my eyes from tearing up.

4. I don't care about the extra weight, It's not like I'm peddling for Gauds sake.

5. I can wear it while jet skiing, powered paragliding, and if I ever get on a motorcycle/scooter again.

6. the padding comes out for cleaning, etc

7. there's room for speakers

8. it was cheap

9. it comes well recommended

Concerns:

1. I do a lot of sidewalk and boardwalk (promenade) riding, so I'm concerned that my full MC helmet and jacket combo will scream "HEY! he doesn't belong here".  Which, of course, I don't. But riding in the road is illegal here too, so I'd rather be hung for a sheep than a lamb (as the old English saying goes)

said to mean that because the punishment for a bad action and an even worse one will be the same, you have no reason not to do the worse one

2. How bad is my hair going to look, when I take it off? 

3. How much more time is this going to add to my pre/post-ATGATT routine?

4. Just one more bulky thing to find a place for here, and where I'm going.

5.  Makes my recent headphone purchase useless, as I use them exclusively when gliding.

I tore apart my old headphones (won't charge anymore) with a view to installing them in this helmet.  Another project that may never see the light of day.

Yeah, I know,  somethings wrong with my nose, or the helmet, or the goggles, or my head.  Either way, nothing is lining up.

Good looking !

Guest PogArt Artur
On 2/22/2018 at 2:37 PM, Smoother said:

Helmet in portrait

Yeah, I know; the brown shoes do not match the black and grey theme.  I'll do better.

Looking very good my friend  ;)

On 2/22/2018 at 3:37 PM, Smoother said:

Helmet in portrait

Yeah, I know; the brown shoes do not match the black and grey theme.  I'll do better.

That looks like a big fat smile to me underneath that helmet. I don't spot those F... angry eyes.

Btw I were checking out a better MC jacket today so I don't have to wear my POC DH jacket and MC jacket and to be rain resistant too. Yhe one I were a bit more interested in had air zones you could open up in summer heat...

..come to think of it I think I better go check it out again tomorrow....not buying..not buying...yet...I hope.

Come to an even better idea...I have a MC cloth shop next to work I can check out at lunch too. 😁😄

Edited by Unventor
  • Like 1

On 3/18/2019 at 10:00 PM, Smoother said:

I can confirm this. It happened in both my accidents. The one I landed more or less flat on my back I wore a TSG Pass helmet and the fixed chinbar blocked the rock I hit when trying to regain a slide on gravel ontop of asphalt in a curve at 30kmh. When wheel caught traction it had a different movement vector causing huge wobbles. Leaning backwards I know of the rock but didn't expect to hit it.

Kinda of the same happen on my crash last Friday. Lost sight of the curb, when got it in view again it was too late. It was blocked by my chinbar. 

You really shouldn't  look at feet when crash is imminent.

So in my opinion my mistake last Friday is another lesson in keep focus on everything you can see but also situation awareness at all time. I didn't do this resulting in another crash on my behalf. Rookie error. 

• Like 1

Guest PogArt Artur
2 hours ago, Unventor said:

I can confirm this. It happened in both my accidents. The one I landed more or less flat on my back I wore a TSG Pass helmet and the fixed chinbar blocked the rock I hit when trying to regain a slide on gravel ontop of asphalt in a curve at 30kmh. When wheel caught traction it had a different movement vector causing huge wobbles. Leaning backwards I know of the rock but didn't expect to hit it.

Kinda of the same happen on my crash last Friday. Lost sight of the curb, when got it in view again it was too late. It was blocked by my chinbar. 

You really shouldn't  look at feet when crash is imminent.

So in my opinion my mistake last Friday is another lesson in keep focus on everything you can see but also situation awareness at all time. I didn't do this resulting in another crash on my behalf. Rookie error. 

We keep learning continuously, aren't we?

When I were riding motorcycle,the great issue I remember, was to look at my tank,where I kept the GPS placed in the tank bag...

The bottom of full helmet was blocking the view, so I had to literally point my head down to check the GPS's screen, so for that time I wasn't watching what's going on on the street...

I'm not sure if you already have noticed my post regarding the white helmet, but I decided to buy Scorpion EXO Combat, which has removable "chin bar"...

It can't protect me if I crash,though, it might keep the flies away only :)

What I like is ability to remove it if needed.

At the moment I'm newbie, so if I feel it's making my learning much difficult to not being able of checking the way I go, then I can remove it.

I'm appreciate its style, this is why I went for it, unfortunately the chin bar won't protect my face, I think this is the only minus of this helmet so far.

46 minutes ago, PogArt Artur said:

We keep learning continuously, aren't we?

When I were riding motorcycle,the great issue I remember, was to look at my tank,where I kept the GPS placed in the tank bag...

The bottom of full helmet was blocking the view, so I had to literally point my head down to check the GPS's screen, so for that time I wasn't watching what's going on on the street...

I'm not sure if you already have noticed my post regarding the white helmet, but I decided to buy Scorpion EXO Combat, which has removable "chin bar"...

It can't protect me if I crash,though, it might keep the flies away only :)

What I like is ability to remove it if needed.

At the moment I'm newbie, so if I feel it's making my learning much difficult to not being able of checking the way I go, then I can remove it.

I'm appreciate its style, this is why I went for it, unfortunately the chin bar won't protect my face, I think this is the only minus of this helmet so far.

Well if you look back in this thread you will see I have 3 type of helmets.

Basic cyclehelmet with read led, TSG Solid (got one in vyan and now also in reflective acid yellow)

A full face DH helmet for skaters, TSG Pass in acid yellow.

A fullface MC helmet with flex chinbar and flipdown sunvisor now with addon option, buildin BT comms/speaker/mic, LS2 FF399 EU version.

By flexable chinbar I mean you can rotate it back 180 degrees. It is cert for open and closed chinbar ride. But it is heavier than a fixed version.

I keep 1 cyclehelmet at home and 1 at work in case I just nip out to takeaway lunch 500m away.

I use the TSG Pass when it is windy as it causes less drag, and have a huge open view.

I use my MC helmet when I commute or pleasure cruise around. In case I need to go when I need a more compact equipment eg lets storage to a cinima or other event I shift to TSG Pass or even Solid helmet, but I prefer to have a chinbar if possible. In the cold the LS2 FF399 EU outperforms the other helmets due to anti fog pinlock system and the MC padding makes it hotter too.

These days I very rare ride without a helmet. And I am strongly biased to wear my POC DH jacket too due to my resent accident.I use wristguards, demon dual flexmeter, 90% of the time. Only to the lunch pick close by is where I don't use them as frequent.

• Like 1

Guest PogArt Artur
3 minutes ago, Unventor said:

Well if you look back in this thread you will see I have 3 type of helmets.

Basic cyclehelmet with read led, TSG Solid (got one in vyan and now also in reflective acid yellow)

A full face DH helmet for skaters, TSG Pass in acid yellow.

A fullface MC helmet with flex chinbar and flipdown sunvisor now with addon option, buildin BT comms/speaker/mic, LS2 FF399 EU version.

By flexable chinbar I mean you can rotate it back 180 degrees. It is cert for open and closed chinbar ride. But it is heavier than a fixed version.

I keep 1 cyclehelmet at home and 1 at work in case I just nip out to takeaway lunch 500m away.

I use the TSG Pass when it is windy as it causes less drag, and have a huge open view.

I use my MC helmet when I commute or pleasure cruise around. In case I need to go when I need a more compact equipment eg lets storage to a cinima or other event I shift to TSG Pass or even Solid helmet, but I prefer to have a chinbar if possible. In the cold the LS2 FF399 EU outperforms the other helmets due to anti fog pinlock system and the MC padding makes it hotter too.

These days I very rare ride without a helmet. And I am strongly biased to wear my POC DH jacket too due to my resent accident.I use wristguards, demon dual flexmeter, 90% of the time. Only to the lunch pick close by is where I don't use them as frequent.

I understood  :)

It's good to be able to choose the helmet that suits best for the exact time or purpose if riding, weather condition or such :)

I have skater helmet at the moment, but I like to keep my face fully covered especially when I will starr commuting.

The skater helmet I might use for some very short free runs to shop or anything like this, in hot day Summer time :)

I'm still fancy the Scorpion EXO 300 Air :)

I bet I'll buy it too in future :)

Thanks for share :)

On 3/19/2019 at 5:40 PM, PogArt Artur said:

Thank you.

So the experience will bring the confidence  ;) 

Yes...you adapt...that is the short answer.

The TSG Pass was a huge step up for me in terms of safety feeling.  Then about 3 weeks later I had a fall flat on my back. 

The thoughts of getting teeth smashed in just is something I like not to expireance again, plus the bill that follow to deal with that. 

I don't recall it is was the football EU style or the cycle accidet that was first but I got both top front teeth smashed twice or three times. 

So based on the last 5 or 6 posts the ideal helmet is light, comfortable, has good visibility in all directions, and has something to protect the face, but not that blocks the view of the road directly in front of you.  Sounds like the chin bar needs to be almost transparent, or easy to see past, sort of like an American football helmet or an Ice hockey helmet.  Or even a Cricket helmet.  I like the idea of an ice hockey helmet.  They look a bit like a snowboarding helmet with the extra face guard.

big_1518796.jpg

https://www.decathlon.co.uk/ims-50-helmet-id_8531819.html

Although I don't see a mechanism to prevent the screen from collapsing towards the face when impacted.  It's also got a bit of "Mad Max" about it, when removed from the hockey rink; if you like that sort of thing.

Made-for-Movie-Lone-Wolf-on-Ford-F-100-C

Best photo I could find of the helmet in question (above), not Humungus (below)

H5.jpg

Edited by Smoother

Guest PogArt Artur
1 hour ago, Unventor said:

Yes...you adapt...that is the short answer.

The TSG Pass was a huge step up for me in terms of safety feeling.  Then about 3 weeks later I had a fall flat on my back. 

The thoughts of getting teeth smashed in just is something I like not to expireance again, plus the bill that follow to deal with that. 

I don't recall it is was the football EU style or the cycle accidet that was first but I got both top front teeth smashed twice or three times. 

Woooow ... :(

That's for sure something to avoid as much as possible...