THE HELMET THREAD

Opinion post

Aside from the obvious importance of protection, when shopping for helmets I think that it is important to consider helmet weight, and field of vision.

1. Lighter helmets will be more comfortable and help you to perform better. You will also avoid neck fatigue on long rides. For EUC-riding, my subjective, working definition of lightweight is a helmet that weighs 3lbs or less. I usually shoot for less than 3lbs.

2. A wider field of vision places more within your sight range. You can turn your head less severely because more of the activities/potential hazards occurring around you naturally fall within your line of sight. Lets face it; we EUC riders rely heavily on our vision because our headgear often diminishes outside sound. If we can identify potential hazards earlier we can better avoid them becoming real hazards. The ability to identify real hazards as quickly as possible helps to keep us out harms way. 

My personal helmet selection strategy is to look for the best combination of light weight and high levels of protection for the most reasonable price. My subjective working definition of reasonable price is capped at $600. I find that it is easily possible to find the best that helmet technology currently has to offer for under $650. Sometimes, this will mean getting a previous year model.

Similar to cars, helmets sometimes don't change very much from one year to the next. So, a previous year model can represent an incredible bargain. 

In general, finding the best balance when shopping for helmets requires three major sacrifices/compromises:

Lower weight = less protection

Better protection = higher weight

Better protection and lower weight = more money. 

Best protection and lowest weight possible = price threshold ($650)

If not proportionally, technology is thankfully changing the amount of sacrifice necessary in the first place to achieve a good balance for EUC riding. Couple technological advances with a wide variety of personal preferences, and the range of choice increases almost to the point of paralysis.

My subjective working definition of lightweight together with my headsize automatically restricts my range of choice compared with many others. For me, a more limited range of choices effectively decreases any possibility of choice paralysis for me. That means that unless get lost fantasizing; persistently lusting for helmets that are clearly out of reach due to size or price, shopping is easier for me

My choices will remain somewhat inherently limited until a future time when the helmet market reality has become an increase of average head sizes, combined with today's "advanced" technology having become commonplace and ubiquitous.

The Future of Headgear

To be honest, I predict the obsolescence of helmets in the relatively near future.

Here is my official forecast:

Helmets will eventually be replaced by balaclavas or skull caps that contain air bladders.

The inserted, sensor activated cap bladders will fill up with air when a person dislodges from any transportation devices traditionally requiring helmets. 

We already see this technology in use. There are inflatable vests and jackets being sold on the market for a small fortune. It is just a matter of time before it creeps to helmets. However, like inflatable vests and jackets, air bag helmets will be available to the public for a small fortune long before they are commonplace :)👍

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

6 minutes ago, Rama Douglas said:

No doubt! For the most part yes. It can get a bit humid in August and September here, but yeah, nothing like East coast!

DC summers are miserable, and legendary for their humidity. All the concrete heats up and turns the city into friggin sauna. 

This is why on weekends an 80 minute trip to the Atlantic Ocean turns into a 5 hour nightmare journey; like my last trip to Ocean City. :furious:

My friend from Arizona is a weather wimp in the summer in DC. It's funny because Arizona is so much hotter. The heat she can handle. It's the humidity that kills her :D:D

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

On 1/24/2019 at 6:51 PM, Lutalo said:

Helmets will eventually be replaced by balaclavas or skull caps that contain air bladders.

The inserted, sensor activated cap bladders will fill up with air when a person dislodges from any transportation devices traditionally requiring helmets. 

We already see this technology in use. There are inflatable vests and jackets being sold on the market for a small fortune. It is just a matter of time before it creeps to helmets. However, like inflatable vests and jackets, air bag helmets will be available to the public for a small fortune long before they are commonplace :)👍

https://hovding.com/?langOverride=EN

Edit: realised it had already been discussed in other threads.

Edited by rolekl
  • Like 1

On 1/24/2019 at 5:51 PM, Lutalo said:

[...]

The Future of Headgear

To be honest, I predict the obsolescence of helmets in the relatively near future.

Probably something like that, when the tech to detect an accident is 100% foolproof with no false positives and no failed releases. Also the MIPS and equivalents will have to be part of it, if not in form, at least in function. When I ordered the LS2 to replace my Giro Switchblade, one distinct disadvantage was the lack of rotation protection. With my Giro, I knew that if I'd hit the ground in a way that would rotate my head, the inner lining would release from the shell and allow my head to avoid at least some of the acceleration. As that is a real killer for the brain, that is by no means something to shrug off. I went for the LS2 anyways, since there was a lot of offsetting advantages, but I will quite probably add a MIPS-style helmet to the inventory for spring-/summer riding.

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, Lutalo said:

I looked at the link. Looks like my prediction is already past tense :D:D:D

Except Hövding doesn't guarantee their solution for anything other than bicycles. I asked them directly about it, and they said they could not guarantee that it would release if the geometry of the fall was distinctly different from a bike.

• Like 1

8 hours ago, Roadrunner said:

Does anybody have a Ruroc helmet?

i want to know if its good for EUC and how the field of vision is.

There are a few, I ordered one, but it didn't fit my head. When I looked at build quality and the pricetag I decided to return it for refund rather getting a bigger size. Maybe because I got a TSG Pass I expected too much of the Ruroc. 

They promised to cancle my shipping fee due to delay in hamdling, but they kept charge despite I had it all in print. Others might have better expirance with them. I can't see me dealing with them again though.

As for view angle. My TSG Pass is better. But then again I didn't like the googles. 

Eventually I decided to go MC helmet instead. I am very happy I took that decision. I like my LS2 FF399 EU model.

3 minutes ago, Scatcat said:

Except Hövding doesn't guarantee their solution for anything other than bicycles. I asked them directly about it, and they said they could not guarantee that it would release if the geometry of the fall was distinctly different from a bike.

I actually do believe I saw somewhere they warn against any other use than bike riding.

21 minutes ago, Scatcat said:

OK. Cool. Looks like there is still some way to go before its suitable for our use; more exploration and data of fall geometry from various types of devices I suppose is what is needed. The good news is that it is already being tested in some application. Reliable deployment is a critical to the safety of the units. So, to R&D I say mush on :)👍

Edited by Lutalo

25 minutes ago, Scatcat said:

went for the LS2 anyways, since there was a lot of offsetting advantages, but I will quite probably add a MIPS-style helmet to the inventory for spring-/summer riding.

I am exploring some summer options as well for MIPPS-equipped helmets. 

54 minutes ago, Lutalo said:

OK. Cool. Looks like there is still some way to go before its suitable for our use; more exploration and data of fall geometry from various types of devices I suppose is what is needed. The good news is that it is already being tested in some application. Reliable deployment is a critical to the safety of the units. So, to R&D I say mush on :)👍

Yeah. Hövding is somewhat of a big hit here in Sweden, where it was innovated.

• Like 2

Don't know if it's been covered in this thread but for those of us who do not have deep pockets for a lid,  I have a 661 Reset full face and I have to say, after using it for a full week downhill MTB'ing in Morzine last year I don't have a bad word to say about it. Various colours available, lightweight, lots of air movement for those summer days and capable of taking any goggles (although I just use shades). Sure, it's not as nice as a full carbon-unobtanium-cranium skid lid but at £50 (currently) I think it's a steal. It will now serve a dual purpose as my EUC brain bucket.

https://winstanleysbikes.co.uk/661-reset-2018-helmet

• Like 3

4 hours ago, Paul2579 said:

One thing I like about the fox pro frame is that it has a lot of large symmetrical holes that make it easy to affix my esk8 lights.  I’m sure others would work as well, but from photos online this seemed to be the surest bet.  This isn’t the only arrangement I’ve come up with, but it’s kind of star-wars-y, so....

0AC16F82-4AE7-43AF-9B45-FF7729899A1D.jpeg

Meeting drivers and bikers will hate you... :D 

• Like 2

10 hours ago, Paul2579 said:

One thing I like about the fox pro frame is that it has a lot of large symmetrical holes that make it easy to affix my esk8 lights.  I’m sure others would work as well, but from photos online this seemed to be the surest bet.  This isn’t the only arrangement I’ve come up with, but it’s kind of star-wars-y, so....

0AC16F82-4AE7-43AF-9B45-FF7729899A1D.jpeg

Very cool. I think I'd even leave the lights on during the day - light daylight running lights in your car :D

• Like 2