THE HELMET THREAD

1 minute ago, Lutalo said:

True. I found myself lifting the front visor a lot when I was using my full face Bell Vortex motorcycle helmet to try and combat the isolation. 

Since I found the Nexx XR2 Full Carbon that weighs in the neighborhood of 2.6 lbs, I am planning to buy another motorcycle helmet and use it for EUC riding. I will probably be lifting the visor again. I really haven't found it problematic at the speeds we typically cruise. 

Below is the helmet I was using before this recent purchase. When I say monstrous diver's helmet, there is something to it; thing weighed almost 6lbs in my size.  :D

IMG_20190117_142950.jpg

Hey! I think I know where your lost game-controller is.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Smoother said:

BUT, I don't ride in traffic with them on.

Good practice. This is why I don't use them. I am always in traffic. Even the trails around DC can be very hectic; almost like being on the street. 

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, Seba said:

Remember to ride safe, bro! :D You may get into serious trouble by hearing "Oh, man! I wanna have a baby with you!" when passing by some cute girl... :dribble:

:D:D Funny you should say that. Already experienced a faceplant from that distraction. Some cute girl batting her eyes, puckered lip smile, and dosing up her stroll with a little more wiggle.

After my dismount she walked by looking at me like I was childish loser prone to getting in over his head :facepalm::facepalm::facepalm:

• Like 3

53 minutes ago, Girth Brooks said:

@Dave Frear I agree with you on the earbuds not being safe while riding, but if safety is a main concern for you then I can assure you from a very hard learned lesson that your choice of a cyclist open helmet can prove to be catastrophic. I would have had many missing teeth if not for me wearing a full faced helmet in my first big EUC crash. Wrecking a bicycle is not like wrecking an EUC at all.

True. Full face protects a lot better if you dismount. I am sure that I will never go back to open face helmets. After several years of riding I am pretty familiar with the anatomy of a typical EUC faceplant; that chinguard is very important. 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Lutalo said:

:D:D Funny you should say that. Already experienced a faceplant from that distraction. Some cute girl batting her eyes, puckered lip smile, and dosing up her stroll with a little more wiggle.

After my dismount she walked by looking at me like I was childish loser prone to getting in over his head :facepalm::facepalm::facepalm:

...and this is why it's good to have a full-face helmet :D First, it will save your head and teeth. Second, there is a chance that helmet will hide your face enough, so she won't remember it. Next time you can always say her: "Yeah, I know that man. It's a rookie from the neighborhood. Saw me once, got impressed and bought similar wheel, similar helmet... You know, he tries to be as good as I am, but... you know, babe... There can only be one master..." :thumbup:

And for God's sake, do not faceplant again on her eyes :)

• Like 3

14 minutes ago, Seba said:

...and this is why it's good to have a full-face helmet :D First, it will save your head and teeth. Second, there is a chance that helmet will hide your face enough, so she won't remember it. Next time you can always say her: "Yeah, I know that man. It's a rookie from the neighborhood. Saw me once, got impressed and bought similar wheel, similar helmet... You know, he tries to be as good as I am, but... you know, babe... There can only be one master..." :thumbup:

And for God's sake, do not faceplant again on her eyes :)

:D! Alas, she was a tourist. Since she didn't rush over to help when I fell so I didn't get the digits. :D:D:D

I did manage on this fall to avoid serious facial abrasions. The pavement depilated some hair around the beardline that grew back fairly quickly. I was wearing an open face cycle helmet. 

So yes, full face is necessary. 

Edited by Lutalo
  • Like 1

I had few faceplants in my history, but never even touched the ground with any part of my head or helmet. But I also know that this is a bad idea to abuse my luck, so I decided to buy an full face helmet. I'll probably start with testing Fox Rampage, because I already own Fox Metah that fits my giant head and Rampage is also available in XL size. Not to mention there is Rampage version that fits my jacket :efeffe9e4a:

• Like 2

45 minutes ago, Seba said:

I had few faceplants in my history, but never even touched the ground with any part of my head or helmet. But I also know that this is a bad idea to abuse my luck, so I decided to buy an full face helmet. I'll probably start with testing Fox Rampage, because I already own Fox Metah that fits my giant head and Rampage is also available in XL size. Not to mention there is Rampage version that fits my jacket :efeffe9e4a:

You should have an easier time than me finding a helmet; I am XXL. :D My size is a limitation. For example the Bell Super DH, and Super 3, are not offered in my size. Neither does the Giro switchblade, or the POC brand come in my size. There are helmets that I found more appealing than the Bell Full 9, but at the end of the day, I have to buy what fits; not what looks best on the shelf. My color preference is solid matte black: couldn't find it. But in the end I am happy to have found good helmet that fits well and will protect my face and head if I fall. :)👍

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Lutalo said:

You should have an easier time than me finding a helmet; I am XXL. :D My size is a limitation. For example the Bell Super DH, and Super 3, are not offered in my size. Neither does the Giro switchblade, or the POC brand come in my size. There are helmets that I found more appealing than the Bell Full 9, but at the end of the day, I have to buy what fits; not what looks best on the shelf. My color preference is solid matte black: couldn't find it. But in the end I am happy to have found good helmet that fits well and will protect my face and head if I fall. :)👍

Good news - Fox makes helmets in XXL size also ;) But I feel your pain. MET, Giro and many others forgot that there are people with head circumference above 61 centimeters. Fox Rampage Pro Carbon MIPS tempts me so much... It's not only one of best reviewed helmets, but perfectly match my existing Fox Metah with color and style. But the price tag is killing me... :crying: Maybe I will have to prepare order in some web shop, place mouse pointer over "Make order" button, drink few Baltic Porters and finally hit that LEFT MOUSE BUTTON :whistling:

286827694_Fox_Rampage_Pro_Carbon_Moth_Helmet_Men_Black_Yellow1920x1920(1).thumb.jpg.42960fdab7289ae99f2b6161fee71581.jpg

191666852_Fox_Rampage_Pro_Carbon_Moth_Helmet_Men_Black_Yellow1920x1920.thumb.jpg.ac76b84b94f8faba5a43b345d7e7854f.jpg

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Girth Brooks said:

@Dave Frear I agree with you on the earbuds not being safe while riding, but if safety is a main concern for you then I can assure you from a very hard learned lesson that your choice of a cyclist open helmet can prove to be catastrophic. I would have had many missing teeth if not for me wearing a full faced helmet in my first big EUC crash. Wrecking a bicycle is not like wrecking an EUC at all.

Soap is good for you and easy to make..who need teeth?😍😶

Or maybe not right approach 😁 looks is one thing but the bit more importhat part is functionality. I found how easy it is to put on affect the choice of what helmet I use, while it still fits snog. That is my I am happy with my new choice. 

In the end of the day as long you like your helmet as it saves you from major injuries that is what really matters. 

But as with all "life insurance" you hope it need for pauout never kicks in.

• Like 3

2 hours ago, Lutalo said:

Below is the helmet I was using before this recent purchase. When I say monstrous diver's helmet, there is something to it; thing weighed almost 6lbs in my size.  :D

IMG_20190117_142950.jpg

So you have to change that helmet every year right? Next one reads 55...new colour too? As bright colours goes more and wish-washy aka white/grey :innocent1: with every model change too.

Edited by Unventor
  • Like 1

3 hours ago, Smoother said:

I've said it multiple times before but I'll say it again here, in case any new riders are reading:

Playing music through the speakers on your wheel (edit: or any other external speaker) around other people or their homes is very antisocial and annoys people greatly.  The reason is you cannot hear the music well because of wind noise in your ears, but they can hear the music very well because they don't have wind noise in their ears.  And the sound travels for dozens of meters in all directions, it's not just in a little bubble around you.

There are enough people violating other people peace with loud music, loud cars and motorcycles, loud speech, barking dogs, loud anything.  We should make sure that sound pollution does not become another reason the general public does not like us.  Because legislation gets passed against minority groups that annoy the majority.

This is exactly the kind of attitude that ruins fun for everyone. I used to think like you. Then I realized, people need to let loose and enjoy themselves. Otherwise, you're being a sheep. If someone gets annoyed at someone having a blast, that person needs to take a serious look inward and ask why it is they're upset by others enjoying themselves; living for others, rather than themselves. A huge problem with society. Society needs a massive shake up, and the proper response to anyone blasting through an area playing loud music should (and does) inspire others to let loose themselves and celebrate the glories of life. Life is a party, a celebration. Being kind to others starts with yourself. And if you're constantly holding back, worrying what others may think, then you're not living. Sorry @Smoother, but that attitude leads to anger, stress and tightly squeezed buttocks. Relax man and let loose. See what it does for your stress levels. Celebrate that others celebrate. There is such a thing as a noise curfew in city areas. Outside those hours, it's game on! People who are upset by people blasting loud music (And I'd hardly qualify 4 tiny Bluetooth speakers as LOUD!!!)  need to celebrate their fellow man and show love toward them. Unlearn that program. I'm gonna kidnap you, and take you to Burning Man. Then you'll truly understand the difference between someone jamming tunes outta their Bluetooth, compared to actual Earth shaking loud...😜

Edited by Rama Douglas
  • Like 1

44 minutes ago, Unventor said:

So you have to change that helmet every year right? Next one reads 55...new colour too? As bright colours goes more and wish-washy aka white/grey :innocent1: with every model change too.

:D. I don't even know what that 54 indicates. I bought that helmet years ago. I bought with the same priorities as I bought the BF9; looking for something in a certain price range, and in my size. I liked the vortex helmets, but again, probably couldn't find one that hit all the marks in a solid color so I settled for this blocked pattern; exactly like the BF9. 

I blame my fluffy head. :laughbounce2:

1 hour ago, Seba said:

Good news - Fox makes helmets in XXL size also ;) But I feel your pain. MET, Giro and many others forgot that there are people with head circumference above 61 centimeters. Fox Rampage Pro Carbon MIPS tempts me so much... It's not only one of best reviewed helmets, but perfectly match my existing Fox Metah with color and style. But the price tag is killing me... :crying: Maybe I will have to prepare order in some web shop, place mouse pointer over "Make order" button, drink few Baltic Porters and finally hit that LEFT MOUSE BUTTON :whistling:

286827694_Fox_Rampage_Pro_Carbon_Moth_Helmet_Men_Black_Yellow1920x1920(1).thumb.jpg.42960fdab7289ae99f2b6161fee71581.jpg

191666852_Fox_Rampage_Pro_Carbon_Moth_Helmet_Men_Black_Yellow1920x1920.thumb.jpg.ac76b84b94f8faba5a43b345d7e7854f.jpg

That one is really nice. I think that I will be heading back toward motorcycle helmets. Of course, that is not feasible as a wide spread practice, because the Nexx XR2 (2.6 lbs) at which I am aiming is over $600. I don't blame anyone who can't make sense of a purchase like that for an EUC helmet.

I am only justifying it because I plan to buy another motorcycle in the near future. So, I rationalize it as: "In the meantime I will ride my EUC with it." sort of thing.;) When I get the bike, I will already have my premium headgear on deck. 

I could be lying to myself to rationalize a pricey helmet purchase, or I could be committing myself to something I have wanted to do since I sold my bike a couple of years back; not quite sure yet. I'm working it out. :D 

Edited by Lutalo
  • Like 1

20 minutes ago, Lutalo said:

:D. I don't even know what that 54 indicates. I bought that helmet years ago. I bought with the same priorities as I bought the BF9; looking for something in a certain price range, and in my size. I liked the vortex helmets, but again, probably couldn't find one that hit all the marks in a solid color so I settled for this blocked pattern; exactly like the BF9. 

I blame my fluffy head. :laughbounce2:

So it is not age then? :cheers:

• Like 1

16 hours ago, Lutalo said:

That one is really nice. I think that I will be heading back toward motorcycle helmets. Of course, that is not feasible as a wide spread practice, because the Nexx XR2 (2.6 lbs) at which I am aiming is over $600. I don't blame anyone who can't make sense of a purchase like that for an EUC helmet.

I am only justifying it because I plan to buy another motorcycle in the near future. So, I rationalize it as: "In the meantime I will ride my EUC with it." sort of thing.;) When I get the bike, I will already have my premium headgear on deck. 

I could be lying to myself to rationalize a pricey helmet purchase, or I could be committing myself to something I have wanted to do since I sold my bike a couple of years back; not quite sure yet. I'm working it out. :D 

You are in better situation than me, because as a motorcycle rider you can easily and rationally justify spending more money to a top-notch, expensive helmet that will be universal for both activities - motorcycling and unicycling.

On the other hand, I have to remember that going on very long routes I am more at risk of an accident. Saving on the safety of my head, which I use to earn for all these pleasures, would be stupidity. I hope that Fox Rampage Pro Carbon helmet will be compatible with Sena SMH10 headset.... :) But it's expensive as hell... have to save few bucks. F**k, at least month without roulette and hookers :crying:;)

• Like 1

39 minutes ago, Seba said:

You are in better situation than me, because as a motorcycle rider you can easily and rationally justify spending more money to a top-notch, expensive helmet that will be universal for both activities - motorcycling and unicycling.

On the other hand, I have to remember that going on very long routes I am more at risk of an accident. Saving on the safety of my head, which I use to earn for all these pleasures, would be stupidity. I hope that Fox Rampage Pro Carbon helmet will be compatible with Sena SMH10 headset.... :) But it's expensive as hell... have to save few bucks. F**k, at least month without roulette and hookers :crying:;)

Well. Maybe save on the roulette, but not the hookers:D

The carbon black Fox Rampage is fire. It's worth the investment, because it will last year's and you will most likely be riding unicycles for the rest of your life.

If you look at seven year life span for a helmet. Buying the Rampage pro carbon at current prices you are basically spending about $50 per year (standard depreciation) to protect the Operations center of your being. Not a lot at all.

Edited by Lutalo
  • Like 1

On 1/19/2019 at 2:40 PM, Lutalo said:

Well. Maybe save on the roulette, but not the hookers:D

It's a pleasure to follow advices of a clever man! :D

On 1/19/2019 at 2:40 PM, Lutalo said:

If you look at seven year life span for a helmet. Buying the Rampage pro carbon at current prices you are basically spending about $50 per year (standard depreciation) to protect the Operations center of your being. Not a lot at all.

You're rigth :) My head won't be bigger than it is. And Fox Rampage Pro Carbon gets excellent reviews, is quite light and by having MIPS protection should protect from this kind of falls that are EUC specific. Already having another Fox helmet I'm pretty assured it will be a good choice. I've just ordered this helmet and Sena 10S Bluetooth set. I will soon post my experiences with both.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Seba said:

You're rigth :) My head won't be bigger than it is. And Fox Rampage Pro Carbon gets excellent reviews, is quite light and by having MIPS protection should protect from this kind of falls that are EUC specific. Already having another Fox helmet I'm pretty assured it will be a good choice. I've just ordered this helmet and Sena 10S Bluetooth set. I will soon post my experiences with both.

I will be looking forward to the reviews. :)👍

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Seba said:

[...]

You're rigth :) My head won't be bigger than it is. [...]

So you don't have my problem of a constantly swelling head. Luckily I have a woman that knows how to puncture it with periodical verbal needles, or I would look like something like this:

maxresdefault.jpg

• Like 1

On 1/18/2019 at 2:47 PM, Rama Douglas said:

Being kind to others starts with yourself. And if you're constantly holding back, worrying what others may think, then you're not living. Sorry @Smoother, but that attitude leads to anger, stress and tightly squeezed buttocks. Relax man and let loose. See what it does for your stress levels.

Spoken like a true Californian. I would never know if you didn't tell me that you were from the neurotic, high-strung, frenetic, and expresso shot-addicted DMV; the strivers' " I wanna be somebody" ultimate heaven, and hell all rolled up into one :D:D:D:D:D

• Like 3

4 hours ago, Scatcat said:

So you don't have my problem of a constantly swelling head. Luckily I have a woman that knows how to puncture it with periodical verbal needles, or I would look like something like this:

maxresdefault.jpg

What does she say? It's not that big? :P:P:P